Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE THIRD DAY (An HBO Limited Series)
Folk horror comes to HBO!

Could risk being too derivative, but I like what I'm seeing so far.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
HBO Presents "This Is How You Do A Modern Wicker Man, Neil LaBute."

Gimme.
home taping is killing music
Looking visually a lot like THE OUTSIDER.

Not a plus in my book.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
That really doesn't look like much water to cross. Rowboats are forbidden, right? They make the eels angry.
(03-10-2020, 01:02 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Looking visually a lot like THE OUTSIDER.

Not a plus in my book.

What was your issue with it?

(03-10-2020, 07:43 PM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: That really doesn't look like much water to cross. Rowboats are forbidden, right? They make the eels angry.

We must accept certain conceits for the sake of storytelling!
This is premiering on September 14th.

New trailer.

Looks good!
(03-11-2020, 01:57 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 01:02 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Looking visually a lot like THE OUTSIDER.

Not a plus in my book.

What was your issue with it?

The CONSTANT use of extremely shallow depth of field really grated on me. Especially when we'd have long, locked in shots in which fucking NOTHING was in focus. It was fine for a bit or for certain sequences but JFC the entire show was shot like that. 

The show's glacial pace and padded run time didn't do it any favors, either. Should've been 4, maybe 5 episodes. At most.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
This show's written, directed and scored by the same crew that did UTOPIA so I'm psyched!
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I caught the first episode of this tonight.

I’m not fully sure that I believe that a character going through what Jude Law’s is going through would behave quite the way he does, but I can suspend disbelief to buy into the conceit.

It’s unclear at this stage if things are truly going to go “full horror” eventually (there are certainly enough signs pointing that way that anything short of that will end up kind of disappointing), but it definitely has an eerie tone that’s working for me. The potential WICKER MAN influence is unavoidable, but I can’t imagine it’s just going to end up being a variation on it.

Everyone in the cast is good so far, but Paddy Considine is threatening to steal the entire thing (just like he did on THE OUTSIDER earlier this year).
I can only imagine there's something going on with Law's character that, on a unconscious level, he doesn't really want to leave, or feels compelled to stay. Otherwise not just saying, "how about a boat, then?" does seem like a hole.

I liked it, anyhow. I didn't know a thing about it till I saw the promo in front of LOVECRAFT COUNTRY. And I didn't know much after *that* either except it looked like there may be some Wicker Man shit going down on the show... 

Turns out there may be some Wicker Man shit going down.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Yeah, I think it may turn out he's truly been there before (as so many people seem to be familiar with him). He seems way too invested in the girl (and the strange little boy), snooping around, and having a grand old time in the pub for a guy whose life back in London seems like it should be completely dominating his attention.

Definite WICKER MAN vibes, but I've also got my fingers crossed for some Lovecraftian-style fishpeople. The festival apparently involves people dressed up in fish creature costumes, and there's way too much business involving salt/salt water. Has to be leading somewhere, and I hope it's into creature feature territory.

Then again, I don't know if you can land this cast if that's what you're ultimately doing.
(09-14-2020, 10:36 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I caught the first episode of this tonight.

I’m not fully sure that I believe that a character going through what Jude Law’s is going through would behave quite the way he does, but I can suspend disbelief to buy into the conceit.

It’s unclear at this stage if things are truly going to go “full horror” eventually (there are certainly enough signs pointing that way that anything short of that will end up kind of disappointing), but it definitely has an eerie tone that’s working for me.  The potential WICKER MAN influence is unavoidable, but I can’t imagine it’s just going to end up being a variation on it.  

Everyone in the cast is good so far, but Paddy Considine is threatening to steal the entire thing (just like he did on THE OUTSIDER earlier this year).

not surprising, considering the fact that he was lying about the money the entire time. 
"There's only one question to resolve. I'm scared. I feel a little crazy. I'm not lucid. The assumptions are right. I can feel my fear growing. Now is the time for the answer. Just one question. One question to answer.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
[i]WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

[/i]

I mean, that's a good point, but I still think he should be a bit less satisfied to be where he is than he is. Unless there's more going on (which there may well be).
I dunno...he seemed pretty irate throughout the episode. Of course the reveal complicates things a lot
"There's only one question to resolve. I'm scared. I feel a little crazy. I'm not lucid. The assumptions are right. I can feel my fear growing. Now is the time for the answer. Just one question. One question to answer.

[i]WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

[/i]