Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Karyn Kusama's DRACULA (Blumhouse/Universal)
Well.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v...se-1283635

I'm torn.  On one hand, I love THE INVITATION and think Kusama has a great knack for real suspense.  I've even advocated for her to get one of Universal's Classic Monsters properties.

On the other hand, I'm not terribly interested in seeing Dracula in modern day.  I think the character works best when he evokes old world folklore with atmosphere to spare. I think you inevitably lose a lot of that by putting him in today's high-tech society. Worked great for the Invisible Man, but I'm unconvinced for most of the rest of the Classic Monsters.

I do appreciate that Universal's going all-in with their horror characters (Paul Feig's DARK ARMY, the animated MONSTER MASH feature, a RENFIELD film, Elizabeth Banks' INVISIBLE WOMAN, and a FRANKENSTEIN-inspired FRIGHT NIGHT riff from James Wan are all also in development), but I do wonder if the lack of any consistency across these projects will ultimately be a positive or negative thing.

Anyway, there are some interesting insights into what Universal's attempting in that piece above, so those who are interested should read it. It also presents the notion of a sequel to Whannell's film as essentially a fait accompli.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
ooooh cool

I hope she has a much better time working on this than she did on AEON FLUX
Get Gerard Butler back, and you have my attention.
Will there be fighting bats this time?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I hope they stick to the book which is one of my all time favorites. The Count should start off decrepit and slowly transform himself into a younger man (the way Stoker describes Dracula’s physical appearance makes him sound like a mummified Sam Elliott). Hopefully they’ll shoot on location in actual Transylvania and, more importantly, Whitby, England. Bram Stoker actually wrote the book in Whitby and set one of the most suspenseful scenes in that coastal town.
I'd love a faithful adaptation of the book, but if this is set in modern day, I can't see how they could really do that. I suspect it will be only a very general riff on the plot (wealthy foreigner shows up in new place, proceeds to terrorize).

Now, were I in charge of putting together a new version for Universal, I'd want to take visual inspiration from the Lugosi film, while simultaneously attempting a faithful adaptation of the novel (which the Lugosi -- being based on the stage adaptation -- is certainly not).
Glad to see Kusama getting a high-profile gig, but I'm a bit Dracula'd out. That miniseries on Netflix got pretty dire by the end.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
The Netflix series was 2/3 awesome and then shit the bed in the most jaw dropping fashion....mostly by setting it in the modern day.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Yeah, it did that Moffat/Gattis thing where at some point it feels like they got bored, so they blew everything up, sense be damned.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(03-11-2020, 03:16 AM)serpico jones Wrote: I hope they stick to the book which is one of my all time favorites. The Count should start off decrepit and slowly transform himself into a younger man (the way Stoker describes Dracula’s physical appearance makes him sound like a mummified Sam Elliott). Hopefully they’ll shoot on location in actual Transylvania and, more importantly, Whitby, England. Bram Stoker actually wrote the book in Whitby and set one of the most suspenseful scenes in that coastal town.

The Moffat/Gatiss Dracula actually did the first really well and the Whitby thing not at all.

It's weird, the first 2 parts of their Dracula were very good and memorable yet once they go modern it just sort of goes away. I can't even really remember what happened in the third episode.
Kusama's Nicole Kidman-led Destroyer was a scuzzy, depressing, dirty, awesome LA cop movie.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Everything I've been hearing about the miniseries doesn't give me confidence about the wisdom of putting Dracula in a current setting. I just don't know how you can translate the source material without changing it so much that it becomes basically any old vampire story starring any old vampire character. At which point, why not just create an original character?

But again, this is the team that delivered THE INVITATION, so I have to give them leeway.
(03-11-2020, 10:55 AM)MichaelM Wrote: The Netflix series was 2/3 awesome and then shit the bed in the most jaw dropping fashion....mostly by setting it in the modern day.

It's not like that show just suddenly got bad in episode three, it had big problems all throughout. But it was just entertaining enough to keep me watching, even while it was bad enough to have me wondering why I was still watching it.
Karyn Kusama getting work is a good thing and after The Invisible Man, I'm fully onboard with Blumhouse handling the classic monsters.
(03-15-2020, 10:44 AM)mike j Wrote: Karyn Kusama getting work is a good thing.

Her involvement is definitely what has me most interested.

If this was just a "modern" version of the story without a strong filmmaker, I think I'd be much more skeptical than I am.
I wish I liked Kusama's movie as much as I wanted to.
Looking through her imdb, Aeon Flux is my favorite of the ones I've seen. Invitation felt a little too modern gimmicky high concept horror. Dario Neharis is dull as dishwater too, that didn't help.
I think THE INVITATION is excellent, but mileage varies!
It's got a killer ending.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
(03-15-2020, 04:40 PM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: Looking through her imdb, Aeon Flux is my favorite of the ones I've seen. Invitation felt a little too modern gimmicky high concept horror. Dario Neharis is dull as dishwater too, that didn't help.

Man are we total opposites.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I can't imagine Aeon Flux being anyone's favorite anything, even among lovers of Charlize Theron's ass.
Yeah, Aeon Flux is easily her worst movie. Hell, it's her only bad movie.
(03-15-2020, 10:29 PM)simbob Wrote: Yeah, Aeon Flux is easily her worst movie. Hell, it's her only bad movie.

She was in a Children of the Corn movie...
(03-15-2020, 10:44 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(03-15-2020, 10:29 PM)simbob Wrote: Yeah, Aeon Flux is easily her worst movie. Hell, it's her only bad movie.

She was in a Children of the Corn movie...

What? No. No. No. Karyn Kusama, not Charlize Theron. Although I might rather watch Urban Harvest than Aeon Flux...I actually managed to finish Children of the Corn 3.
I never said my opinions weren't weird!
I like THE INVITATION a lot.

I recall turning on AEON FLUX and thinking "Oh man, Charlize Theron in leather, how bad could it be?" I lasted maybe 30 minutes.
Quite shocked to not to see any fancasting in here yet?

Two names for me : mads mikellson(so?) Or Fassbinder
The lady who did The Invitation did Aeon Flux?

Wut
(03-17-2020, 09:57 AM)onemanmust Wrote: Quite shocked to not to see any fancasting in here yet?

It's Blumhouse. We're not getting anyone we recognize as Dracula.
Mads has been my personal pick for a faithful version of Dracula.

Since we don't yet know what the "take" of Kusama's version is going to be, other than it's modern day, I can't say if Mads would be a good fit.
(03-17-2020, 10:20 AM)atomtastic Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 09:57 AM)onemanmust Wrote: Quite shocked to not to see any fancasting in here yet?

They'll just give them a cut of the box office backend.
I am so down.
the empire never ended
(03-17-2020, 07:18 PM)simbob Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 10:20 AM)atomtastic Wrote:

They'll just give them a cut of the box office backend.

Ethan Hawke as Dracula, obviously.
I'm always opened minded about another Dracula movie.

As for the recent Netflix Dracula, while the first two episodes are great, the third is lackluster.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Each episode of that BBC Netflix Dracula are about equally as bad with some good things about them.

I'm a little surprised anyone would think they just kind of lost interest in the final modern day episode when Dracula in that one woman's house is probably the big idea they had for doing that Dracula show to begin with.