Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCREAM REBOOT
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v...rs-1282995

Consider me both skeptical and modestly intrigued.  I liked READY OR NOT a lot.

I think in order to justify a new SCREAM, you have a responsibility to try to do something as fresh as that first film was when it came out, and I’m unsure exactly what that would look like in the 2020s.  It seems like deconstructing the genre has been done in basically every conceivable way in the years since, so what’s the new angle?

Or is it even a new angle?  Perhaps they’re content to just make a self-aware slasher murder mystery -- and if executed at a high level, that could still be fun -- but I don’t know if that’s really enough.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I actually liked that show the MTV was running. And then.....the third season.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I know I watched the first season, but I remember basically none of it!
I dug the first season. It's better than the fourth movie.
I think we're overlooking a key piece from that article:

Quote:The collective, which also made segments for popular horror anthology V/H/S and Southbound, is developing an untitled bear-centric horror comedy described as Good Boys meets The Revenant.

(03-12-2020, 04:56 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I know I watched the first season, but I remember basically none of it!

From what I remember of it it's basically just a remake of the first movie. But because it's a tv show it's so expanded it doesn't really feel like a slasher anymore...which seems to be a problem I've notice with every (very few) slasher tv shows I've seen.
It makes sense for this to be the Friday the 13th 5 of the series. Have a brand new cast and not even a cameo from Gale, Sidney and Dewey. It would bring back the unpredictability of the first one. Of course a character will compare their situation to Friday the 13th 5.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Yeah, I agree it's time to leave the original characters behind.
I came in here expecting to see that its release got delayed!
Watching the first movie in the theater at the age of ten remains one of the best movie theater experiences of my life.
I caught it on video during a cousins sleepover the next year.

It scared us! In a good way!
Just watched the first one again the other night. Pretty much a perfect movie.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
And a perfect soundtrack. too!
Giving money to the studio that keeps enabling Adam Sandler is morally equivalent to Satanic kitten rape orgies. - Hypnotoad
Until recently I didn't know there were two versions of the original Scream. I guess my local rental place got the uncut VHS because when I saw Scream again years later it was way less violent than I remember. At the time I just chalk it up to being some old tv edit of the movie, but it turns out it was just the theatrical version of the violence. The theatrical cut of Scream, and I guess the only version you can get in the US now is butchered.
Yeah, I'm fairly sure the unrated cut (or, rather, the NC-17 cut) only ever got released on VHS.
(03-23-2020, 10:53 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: Yeah, I'm fairly sure the unrated cut (or, rather, the NC-17 cut) only ever got released on VHS.

That is accurate. Lionsgate was too lazy to ever put out the unrated cut.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I just watched the NC-17 cut of Scream for the first time - got the VHS - and let me tell you, the violence of the series is already pretty distinct - super brutal but short bursts of it - but the opening sequence is gnarly, man.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Neve's been talking to the new filmmakers...

https://www.slashfilm.com/neve-campbell-in-scream-5/

I think bringing Sidney back would be a mistake. The series needs to move beyond the original characters, especially if the hope is to kickstart a new run of films.
I had this idea which I thought was pretty good and actually the way I thought Scream 4 was heading when I was watching it.

Gale gets killed and at the end, the villain appears to kill Sidney and seemingly gets away with

only to

in Part 5

Start getting threatening phone calls in the Scream killer voice

which is laughed off until

it abruptly switches to Neve Campbell's voice "How about now?"

and it then turns out

Sidney's body is missing.

Is it Sidney

or

someone else

stalking the killer from Part 4?

Don't know, hadn't worked out the plot that far.
I think people have been anticipating "Sidney is the killer" since as far back as Scream 2.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
Yeah but this could have been good.
I don't think they could have any of the remaining trio be the new killer. Too gimmicky, and probably no way to really emotionally justify it. And you risk pissing off fans who have been invested in those characters (and such people do exist).
(05-07-2020, 01:07 PM)shan Wrote: I had this idea which I thought was pretty good and actually the way I thought Scream 4 was heading when I was watching it.

Gale gets killed and at the end, the villain appears to kill Sidney and seemingly gets away with

only to

in Part 5

and it then turns out

Is it Sidney

or

someone else

Wait wasn't it rumored that was supposed to be part 5? I mean I never heard Syd was going to be the killer but I remember hearing they were supposed to let her actually be dead, Roberts gets away with it and then the next film would open up with someone stalking Roberts.
If the new Scream is to stay true to its self-reflexive forebearers, it must acknowledge the existence of that shitty MTV series. Like maybe Sidney figures out the identity of the killer when he/she is revealed to be a huge fan of the show, and therefore a complete psychopath.
I really wish Scream 4 would have just been a remake and relegated Cox, Arquette, and Campbell to cameos at the beginning or end. Then you naturally could have had the next installment be a soft reboot that brings the original cast back into the fold as main characters.

I mean, I'll still watch this. I made it through the first season of the TV show but bowed out during season 2. Holy shit was that awful. And other than Roger Jackson coming back to voice Ghostface, I remember nothing about the VH1 season that aired last summer.
I'll still watch this, too. Whether it's tightly connected to the previous films or not.

I just think that -- if they really want to make something good -- they have to find a new, unique "in" for this material, and I don't think that can be done if you're clinging to the old characters. They should be trying to do something that feels as fresh today as the first SCREAM did in 1996; they'll never achieve that, but in aiming that high, hopefully something really interesting could happen.

Or it could be spectacularly terrible!
Bringing Campbell back is making me lose interest in this. My main problem with the sequels is, aside from Randy's death, is nothing surprising happens. I can see myself reacting to this like I did Scream 4, I enjoyed watching it, but as soon as its over I start thinking about how it could have been better.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
(05-07-2020, 02:11 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 01:07 PM)shan Wrote: I had this idea which I thought was pretty good and actually the way I thought Scream 4 was heading when I was watching it.

only to

in Part 5

and it then turns out

Is it Sidney

or

someone else

Wait wasn't it rumored that was supposed to be part 5? I mean I never heard Syd was going to be the killer but I remember hearing they were supposed to let her actually be dead, Roberts gets away with it and then the next film would open up with someone stalking Roberts.

I saw a script for Scream 4 which ended with the killer thinking they've gotten away with it but then the paramedics say they can still see Sidney breathing which didn't sound terribly exciting to be honest.

I don't know why I thought this but I really did think they were going to go with someone who may or may not have been Sidney stalking the killer from Scream 4.

Which I thought could have been interesting, there's the Scream 4 killer killing people to try and cover things up, their being terrified that someone was stalking them who may or may not have been Sidney and maybe even a third person lurking around also killing people (if it turns out Sidney was still alive, you have it that she didn't kill anyone hence keeping the sympathy angle).

Basically, one of those I Know What You Did Last Summer Variants with enough ambiguity to keep people guessing and enough variation from the usual to keep people interested.
After being mad that I had watched Scream 4, I decided I’d spoil for myself any Scream 5 that gets made, removing any imperative to watch it. I’ll stick with that.

People getting angry about Randy made them gunshy about killing anyone they think audiences like, such as Sydney, Gale and Dewey. What you’ve got now is an impotent series
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
3 tried to continue the "everyone is expendable" thing by killing Cotton in the open. But it also whittled the core cast down to Sidney, Gale and Dewey, with too many fakeouts with Dewey.

Now they'll never die!
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
Kill Dewey or Gale in the beginning sequence. Damn, even have all three in the opening sequence with 1 or 2 of them getting it.

Ground this series just a smidge and harrow it up a bit. Thats a way you can compete with the Berrymore death of the first. No one thought Drew would be killed.

So, kill Dewey or Gale or both in the first 15. And do it spectacularly, possibly have Sydney watch.

Then, she goes wild crazy. Ready to take out Ghostface full on.

Only thing is, who is it gonna be?
Things are moving quickly:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3617...directors/

David Arquette's back.
Kevin Williamson's producing.
Principal photography will begin (as of now) sometime in the fall.

Also, James Vanderbilt is co-writing. He's written some not-very-good movies (THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, WHITE HOUSE DOWN, INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE), but he also wrote possibly my favorite film of this century -- ZODIAC.
Ooh, they should go the "Halloween" route and disregard everything after part one!
That isn't a bad idea.
"There are certain rules one must abide by in order to survive a fifth movie that doesn't acknowledge the other sequels. First, uh, it has to have the same title as the original for... some reason. Second, well, it should set up another two sequels."