Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corona Binge Watching
So, what are people binging as we enter a next phase of the Slow Apocalypse?

I’ve just finished The Outsider and Locke and Key, and thought both were pretty worthwhile, if imperfect. Different flavors of Stephen King, they played very well in rotation. I’d say both are well-suited to being stuck in home.

Also, entering the last act of Dark Souls 2, which has been much more fun this time than last time. 

Looks like next up will Kingdom, some kind of South Korean high fantasy zombies series on Netflix.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I picked a helluva time to start up a full rewatch of the Battlestar Galactica reboot.
Calling up my stations in Las Vegas to run Ice Station Zebra on repeat.
We watched all of PRIME SUSPECT on Amazon Prime (via Britbox). That was pretty great.
Some older FX series were just added to Hulu, its a good time to look through those. I like that you can browse shows by network on there.

I randomly started up the first episode of The Last Ship, not knowing the premise. "The Virus has killed 80% of the earth's population!" Ahhhhhhh!

Also as a funny coincidence, I'm deep into the main campaign of The Division 2. Very virusy.
Today, I watched McMillions on HBO and stumbled upon a Married With Children marathon.

It was prime S3-4 MWC too.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
I should be powering through "Star Trek: Picard," but damn if it isn't glacially-paced.

I'm two episodes deep, and he's still on Earth.
It’s slow but it does pick up some as it goes.

Episode 7 is far and away the high water mark.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Bosch 1-5 to prep for season 6.

Detectorists 1-3

All things Barkley Marathons

LOST rewatch for me. It’s always been a favorite, pure comfort viewing, but Lindelof absolutely crushing WATCHMEN a few months back did leave me itching to re-evaluate some of the stuff I’m not crazy about, mainly season 6.

Wife and I are starting to dig into THE YOUNG POPE as well.
I’ve been down a massive John Hughes rabbit hole, plus other selections:

Sixteen Candles
The Breakfast Club
Weird Science
Pretty in Pink
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Some Kind of Wonderful
She’s Having a Baby
The Great Outdoors
Child’s Play 3
Bride of Chucky
Judge Dredd
Waterworld
The Beach Bum
Beyond the Mat
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Between Amazon Prime, Criterion Channel, Tubi, Blu-Ray and PLEX, i have a buttload of movies waiting to be viewed. This past weekend I watched a boatload of movies (although to be fair, I usually do):

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
GILDA
PANIC ROOM
BLUE VELVET
THE GAME
TAKE AIM AT THE POLICE VAN
FEAR (1946....bleh)
SORRY, WRONG NUMBER
THE STORY OF A CHEAT

We just finished THE NEW POPE (Season 2 of THE YOUNG POPE) and I love that ludicrous thing.

Thinking about also watching THE OUTSIDER... I heard complaints the pace was fairly glacial, but that might be alleviated by binge-watching.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(03-16-2020, 08:45 AM)Mangy Wrote: We just finished THE NEW POPE (Season 2 of THE YOUNG POPE) and I love that ludicrous thing.

Randomly stumbled across the title sequence to THE NEW POPE while flipping around HBO a few nights back and that was all it took to sell me on this wacky show.
I've been doing a lot of errands for my 70 something parents and older church members. Kinda too mentally frazzled and worried to watch much serious stuff, so I've been rolling thru some of my favorite NBA playoff series on YT.

Also, I've watched the fuck out of THE BLUES BROTHERS + USED CARS.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

I've been doing a re-watch of The Wire. About halfway through Season 3 right now. Season 1 remains a wall-to-wall classic, but I liked Season 2 a lot more this time around than I did the first time I watched it.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
That'd be a good one to rewatch for sure.

I think we're going to bang out THE OUTSIDER or THE NEW POPE next.
Photo 
Whoa!

Attached Files Image(s)

Nip/Tuck on Hulu is certainly something. Starting season 2 now. The fact that the kid ends up becoming a mime in season 6 will keep me going to the end.
(03-16-2020, 04:54 PM)call me roy Wrote: Whoa!

Oh man, the Joe Bob stuff alone is worth a binge. That's awesome.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Some good news. From April 1st Netflix has the global rights to COMMUNITY. All seasons. I wonder what they would make of this. An Outbreak parody?
"I don't do tag-teams with blood relatives". Kenny Powers.
Oh, man. I'll definitely binge that....though Season 4 will test me.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Definitely skipping season 4.
"I don't do tag-teams with blood relatives". Kenny Powers.
Mainlined The Outsider thanks to a free HBO weekend. Was planning on waiting until after I had read the King novel, but I'm still making my way through his earlier stuff, and by the time I get to it people might already be throwing books on the fire just to stay warm.

Great stuff, and right up my alley. True Detective meets Sinister. Plenty of filler material in there, but when the perormances are so good I cannot complain. First time I've seen Erivo in anything, she is absolutely mesmerizing. Thanks for the timely El Cuco/virus analogy, and for reminding viewers about the Spanish Flu death toll, show!
(03-17-2020, 12:49 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: First time I've seen Erivo in anything, she is absolutely mesmerizing.

Add BAD TIMES AT THE EL ROYALE to your CoronaWatchList. She's the real deal.
(03-17-2020, 01:09 PM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 12:49 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: First time I've seen Erivo in anything, she is absolutely mesmerizing.

Add BAD TIMES AT THE EL ROYALE to your CoronaWatchList.  She's the real deal.

Too bad about the movie itself though.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

the movie itself is ok (it really needs an edit) but yeah, she's phenomenal in it. Really quite strong.
El Royale is much like The Outsider: in severe need of a ruthless script compression and edit. Waaaay too much filler and dead space in the series.

Erivo's the goods, though.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Erivo and Bridges really elevate the film for me. I think expectations got a little out of control, as folks weren't prepared for a relatively straightforward Tarantino riff from Goddard, coming off of a subversive genre-bender like CABIN IN THE WOODS.

EDIT: agree on the bloat
Season 3 of The Wire really picks up steam towards the end. I'd forgotten the major event that happens toward the end (I had that happening in Season 4 in my head). Really, the final episode plays like it could have been a season finale.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Just got FREEWAY 2: CONFESSIONS OF A TRICKBABY in the mail.

FREEWAY marathon!

This is how I'm going out.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

(03-17-2020, 02:33 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Season 3 of The Wire really picks up steam towards the end. I'd forgotten the major event that happens toward the end (I had that happening in Season 4 in my head). Really, the final episode plays like it could have been a season finale.
Season 3 is fantastic, and there are few seasons of television which ripped my guts out more than Season 4. I may check it out again as well.

Currently watching this little-seen movie called THE GODFATHER. Haven't seen it in a while, but I'm still willing to say that it's pretty goo--- eh, fuck the snark, this movie's incredible. The only reason it's not talked about more is because everything's been said about it...a masterpiece.
Erviso is also pretty great in Widows. Solid little action/drama.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Yesterday, I had on the following:

"Marc Maron: End Times Fun" on Netflix
"The Blob" (1988) with commentary on Blu
"Scream, Queen: My Nightmare on Elm Street" on Amazon

All were good!
(03-17-2020, 05:39 PM)Neil Spurn Wrote: Erviso is also pretty great in Widows.  Solid little action/drama.

I felt like she was kind of wasted in WIDOWS. As was most of the cast. It's...fine?

Tonight: Crawl. I hear good things.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen