Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Corona Binge Watching
The "Donner Cut" is strictly a curiosity. As assembled, it's barely a movie at all.

I do love Supergirl though.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
So true about the Donner cut, it recycles the originals ending and, I think, it uses a early screen test with Reeves and Kidder for a different scene when she tricks him into outing himself as Superman. All of which I thought was terrible
I do kind of enjoy the idea that every Superman movie would end with him reversing the direction of time on Earth to undo the evil scheme.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Ha, good one. At the climax of every movie..  I can seen him rubbing his chin then looking right at the camera and giving a mischievous wink and grin.

"I got just the idea, Jimmy"
I mean, all four Reeve films DO end on the same shot...
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Fell down a Chris Walken rabbit hole after I recently DVR'red KING OF NEW YORK from HDNet and caught the 1st three PROPHECY flicks from HBO. I remember seeing part 1 in theaters and liking it but I never caught the CW-starring sequels. Part 2 was very slight, but I enjoyed seeing Russell Wong, Jennifer Beals (who reminded me of a young Kamala Harris) and Britney Murphy in the role of the familiar/servant. Eric Roberts also shows up at the end for 2 hours of work.

Part 3 (directed by Patrick Lussier) was a step up, w/ Walken playing Gabriel as a fallen angel turned homeless guardian w/ some good quips about fucking. The lead kid was unimpressive and the final boss battle was laughable, but when I saw Koichi Sakamoto's name in the opening credits I perked up and he did provide some fun parkour shit and sentai level flipping during the chase/fight scenes. I enjoyed seeing Mary (the possessed girl in part 1) show up for a sweet but pointless cameo, and especially Madge from that roadside cafe, after that exchange in Part 1 ("We'll probably never see each other again" / "Suits me"). A little fan service goes a long way in the DTV world.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
Last Nite: Richard Franklin Theatre

CLOAK & DAGGER + LINK

Coming Up: Matinee of ROADGAMES

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

SPIES LIKE US

The exam: maybe the most Chevy Chase scene of all time

"Oh. Uh, will you hold my wallet for me while I take the test, please? There's a thousand dollars in there... or maybe there isn't. Know what I mean?"

"Are you saying I can take this money if I help you pass the test?"

"What do you think?"

Chevy Fever:

Coming Up Next: CADDYSHACK + NATIONAL LAMPOON'S VACATION

(02-14-2021, 05:01 PM)isao kanemasa Wrote: Fell down a Chris Walken rabbit hole after I recently DVR'red KING OF NEW YORK from HDNet and caught the 1st three PROPHECY flicks from HBO.  I remember seeing part 1 in theaters and liking it but I never caught the CW-starring sequels.  Part 2 was very slight, but I enjoyed seeing Russell Wong, Jennifer Beals (who reminded me of a young Kamala Harris) and Britney Murphy in the role of the familiar/servant.  Eric Roberts also shows up at the end for 2 hours of work.  

Part 3 (directed by Patrick Lussier) was a step up, w/ Walken playing Gabriel as a fallen angel turned homeless guardian w/ some good quips about fucking.  The lead kid was unimpressive and the final boss battle was laughable, but when I saw Koichi Sakamoto's name in the opening credits I perked up and he did provide some fun parkour shit and sentai level flipping during the chase/fight scenes.  I enjoyed seeing Mary (the possessed girl in part 1) show up for a sweet but pointless cameo, and especially Madge from that roadside cafe, after that exchange in Part 1 ("We'll probably never see each other again" / "Suits me").  A little fan service goes a long way in the DTV world.

I still like the first film although I think a better director could have made it all gel a lot better.  There are also certain scenes (Mary and Simon, in particular) that really, really don't work and/or come off as unintentionally skeevy.  The good stuff in it is really good, though.

The DTV sequels aren't bad.  I think I prefer the P2 over P3 but both actually have merit to them.  They're better than 'not bad', which is about the highest praise that you can give to a DTV movie.  I never saw the Walken-less entries (P4 and P5) but I'm of the impression that they are very skippable.
"Honey, I'm not an ordained minister; I'm doing my best, OK?"

Matinee: CADDYSHACK

It's kind of amazing that a major character is basically a fucking Muppet, and it still works like gangbusters.

I probably say this everytime, but to be as rich and obnoxious as Dangerfield's character is the dream.

"Whoa, did somebody step on a duck?"

Late Show: NOTHING BUT TROUBLE

Nothing But Trouble has the rare distinction of being a bad film, that I do not enjoy watching at all, but nonetheless has generated an enormous amount of affection in me. It's hard to be as simultaneously loathsome and charming as that film manages to be.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Someone said this recently, and I agree: Dan Aykroyd is one of Hollywood's alltime great weirdos, and you gotta love him for it.

Matinee: National Lampoon's European Vacation

In the middle of a Bill Murray tripleheader.

MEATBALLS: Not sure if I've seen this since grade school. Never made much of an impression, but I fell in love with it tonite. Miss when PG movies could be equal parts raunchy and warmheartedly sweet.

Murray owns the movie, and he has real chemistry with Makepeace.

Let's face it, Murray would be the coolest camp counselor you could ever hope for.

"IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER!"

Well, fell back in love with TOOTSIE.

Charles Durning's almost imperceptible slow burn at the bar remains some of the best acting-for-camera I've ever seen.
(02-22-2021, 09:07 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: In the middle of a Bill Murray tripleheader.

MEATBALLS: Not sure if I've seen this since grade school. Never made much of an impression, but I fell in love with it tonite. Miss when PG movies could be equal parts raunchy and warmheartedly sweet.

Murray owns the movie, and he has real chemistry with Makepeace.

Let's face it, Murray would be the coolest camp counselor you could ever hope for.

"IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER!"

I have a HUGE soft spot for MEATBALLS. It might, in fact, be my favorite Murrary role. I'm not saying it's his best, mind you, but a personal favorite.

Though it does go whole hog on the late 70s/early 80s "stalking/harassment as valid romantic gestures" trope.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Backtracking a bit, one of the other Bill Murray flicks I revisited was STRIPES. I had soured on it in my mind, remembering the 'Extended Cut' as a chore, but -surprise, surprise!- I had a blast.

The supporting cast is marvelous, but, really, my favorite scene is early on Bill Murray driving a cab. He's taking this rich megabitch old lady to the airport, and it's a delight when he just starts fucking with her.

"SLOW DOWN! YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST!"

"Oh, it's not the speed really so much, I just wish I hadn't drunk all that cough syrup this morning."

Anyway, this time out was the most I've enjoyed the movie since watching it for the first time with my Dad when I was about 11 or 12.

80's Bill Murray = influential Gen X Slacker hero/ role model

Coming Up Next:

[Image: OIP.mIEr7oYOyR0555QVYdpNiQHaLQ?pid=ImgDet&rs=1]

Coming Up Next: GHOSTBUSTERS

Rollin' thru Season 8 SNL.

Controversial Viewpoint: Brad Hall is the underrated Update Anchor. In My mind I was Team Brian-Doyle Murray, but, revisiting, he was almost as marble mouthed as Colin Quinn.

Hall's run was when I started paying attention to the political content of WU. His hatred for James Watt was something pure.
Trying to get up the enthusiasm to watch GHOSTBUSTERS II.

If you're on a Murray run, don't leave out Quick Change or The Man Who Knew Too Little. 

Quick Change is obviously your kind of movie, so you don't need me to sell you on it. But I think Man Who Knew Too Little is a charming little studio comedy with a nice dollop of British comedic sensibilities, and has some of the better obvious Murray riffs incorporated into it. Also, the supporting cast is weirdly classy and all of them are playing it very straight. Alfred Molina plays an assassin nicknamed The Butcher because he has a sideline career as a butcher. 

And here's a fun list to take a quick look at: Roles Bill Murray was considered for. Who knows how true they are, but who cares?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Oh man, to have seen him as Max Cady or Jack Horner... I bet he wouldn't have fired his agent!
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
We're doing a FUTURAMA re-watch and what's striking me most is how, apart from the movies which I consider a failed experiment, the Comedy Central seasons are very much on par with the first five. I've heard them compared to recent seasons of The Simpsons and I'm not sure where that comes from. There's none of the laziness that came to define later Simpsons. If anything, the writers went into overdrive throwing more out-there concepts and jokes into the episodes than ever as they progressed. They don't always work, and the very final season is a little more hit and miss, but when they do it's amazing.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Arjen: I saw THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO LITTLE in the theatre with my Dad! Don't think I've revisited it since. Definitely going to get to it.

QUICK CHANGE is probably my favorite Murray.

(02-22-2021, 09:07 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: MEATBALLS: Not sure if I've seen this since grade school. Never made much of an impression, but I fell in love with it tonite. Miss when PG movies could be equal parts raunchy and warmheartedly sweet.

I remember as a newb in film school, I wrote about half of an essay about how MEATBALLS is clearly influenced by the work of Robert Altman. I then decided to move on with my life, but I swear you can sense Altman's presence in that film, at least a little bit.
GHOSTBUSTERS II is so frustrating, because the basic premise is great, and there's so many funny moments, it's enjoyable while going through it, but afterwards, I always feel disappointed/ let down. Like there was one script polish away from it being a totally worthy sequel. Everybody seems game, but there's a cornball element that overshadows everything. I can't believe Michael Chapman shot this, because there's almost no style or atmosphere. Also, the ILM F/X sort of sucks.

I'm thinking the spirit of this thing, the production should've embraced the 50's B movie aspect. It should've been as fun campy as the original THE BLOB. Just go completely over the top with the ludicrousness.

One thing that's aged well is the soundtrack. At the time, Doug E. Fresh & RUN DMC seemed outdated, but now there's a timelessness about having these Golden Age NY heroes rapping about the Ghostbusters. It fits the spirit just about better than anything.

Still thinking about Mangy's take of MEATBALLS being inspired by the Altman canon. I can see it/ and not see it at the same time, if that makes sense.

Def be on my mind next go around.

Now Playing: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS

To the extent that Altman pretty much invented the Multi-Plot Snobs vs. Slobs Comedy That Climaxes With a Sporting Event with M*A*S*H, I can see it.
I'm not so much binge watching Timeless, as I am steadily rewatching it on Hulu.  The show fired on all cylinders. The story itself was great; as was the cast. The show had good social commentary, but didn't hit the viewer over the head with it. Wisely the show knew when to take things seriously and when to have fun. The finale was rushed, but at least it gave me closure.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!