Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Drive-In Experience
A lot of speculating about this pandemic being the knock out punch for the movie theatre as we know it.

Any chance the Drive-In could make a comeback? Could that be feasible? Would it even be possible (logistically speaking)?

Would ya welcome such a thing?

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

For me, since so much of the cinema experience comes from the awesome sound system that I can't possibly replicate at home, I don't see how the drive-in could possibly be a decent replacement.

Also the drive-in is inextricably tied to car culture, and I don't think car culture can or should come back to that level.
Netflix and chill (or Quarantine and chill) has replaced the need to go to the drive-in theater with a date and hope to get some. It's not coming back.

Also, land is getting too expensive to waste it on a drive-in theater.
The Vineland Drive-in out in City of Industry is one of my favorite venues in SoCal. I think they're still open. Four screens, double bills (triple bills on Friday and Saturday) and all under a blanket of stars, save for that night when it started raining during "John Wick 3."

Tickets are cheap ($9), so it can get hella-crowded. "Incredibles 2" made the place look like the mall parking lot on Black Friday.
I haven't been to one for a few years now, but I love them. It's a continuing source of anguish to me that I have four still in operation drive-ins near me, but no car. I always have to rely on friends, two of which moved away, which sucks for a variety of reasons including this one.

I don't see driveins coming back, in fact I know of a couple for sale across the US. But I love and appreciate the ones still open. And if I won megabucks, I'd try bankrolling a new one with some interesting technological updates.

Plainville, MA (closed mid-80s). Movies seen here: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, THE SWORD AND THE SORCERER, PORKY'S, THE RESCUERS, lots more... http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/11436

N. Smithfield, RI. Movies seen here: JOHNNY MNEMONIC and BAD BOYS II... https://carload.com/2017/09/sept-29-rust...hfield-ri/

Northfield, MA. Movies seen here: MEN IN BLACK II, AMERICAN PIE, HULK, a few others... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXj3aW-hH9M

Mendon, MA. Movies seen here: MR. DEEDS and LILO AND STITCH... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpA6D-jDcfI

Milford, NH. Movies seen here: JAWS and BACK TO THE FUTURE... https://carload.com/2017/09/sept-22-milf...ilford-nh/
Amid coronavirus outbreak, drive-in theaters unexpectedly find their moment

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2...EBJUHYhVts
Here's a trailer for great recent documentary about a cool DI in PA.  A friend of mine's a regular there and even appears in the film.  Smile

Also, DRIVE-IN (1976).  Not a great film but a nice enough one...

Bummed that I can't see "Quiet Place II" at my drive-in this weekend. But they are still running Blumhouse's "Fantasy Island." So I can really practice social distancing if I pick that one.
I go to the regular movie theatre alone a lot. I wonder, would it be strange/sad to do that at the drive-in? I guess at least not right now.

I used to feel like it might, but I've seen people do it and would probably be okay with it now. Without a car, though, for me it would be cost of the Zipcar rental (ten bucks an hour) or Enterprise rental ($60 for the day) plus the DI entry ($25 per car, maybe), which is just not cost effective for a solo run.
I almost always go to the drive-in alone. They always check my truck to see if I'm sneaking people in or if I'm a human trafficker.
"...Or if I'm a HUMAN TRAFFICKER?!"

What the HELL KIND OF DRIVE-IN IS THIS??
aw, most of the drive-ins still around in my state are over an hour away!
Well then, cook up some burgers, open all the windows, turn off the lights, move the couch, sit on the floor under the HD and put this up on the screen...

The one nearest to me as a child was my favorite place to be growing up. So formative that in my first full length script, I included one based on it in the story.

When I was a kid, my parents took us to the drive-in all the time because if my sister or I got tired, we could just crash out in the back of the car. I saw Star Wars for the first time at a drive-in. Saw a bunch of Godzilla movies at one. Saw Bakshi's LOTR at one. Good times.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(03-19-2020, 02:54 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: When I was a kid, my parents took us to the drive-in all the time because if my sister or I got tired, we could just crash out in the back of the car.  I saw Star Wars for the first time at a drive-in.  Saw a bunch of Godzilla movies at one.  Saw Bakshi's LOTR at one.  Good times.

We saw STAR WARS a few times.  We even went to see ORCA and I ended up watching STAR WARS (no sound) playing on other drive-in screens at the theater.

Nothing like seeing an R-Rated film at a drive in, especially when you're a kid.  I distinctly remember watching something PG rated and then looking at another screen playing HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS with 30 foot high breasts on the screen.
With me it was PORKY'S.

Learned a lot.
My area still has some, including the one that engineer posted about.  My early childhood obsession with 'The Black Hole' is arguably the fault of the Dallas, PA drive in:

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/52611

The Garden Drive In is only about 15 minutes away from myself.  I suspect they'll be busy this year.

http://www.gardendrivein.com/
One of those "50 Shades" movies was playing at the drive-in when I went there to see something else. I still caught a glimpse of adult situations, tho!
The Movies in the Park type dealio has become real popular in Auckland over the last decade, so folks in these here parts definitely dig seeing fillums in outdoors settings, but I don't think there's been a fixed-location drive-in since the early 2000s.
One spring a couple years back, they ran a bunch of horror movies in Griffith Park. Finally got to see "Halloween" on a big inflatable screen.
(03-17-2020, 09:45 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Any chance the Drive-In could make a comeback? 

No.

Hey, Bradito: is the drive-in Cliff Booth lived next door to still around? I think that one showed up in a lot of movies - memorably TARGETS.

When/if things die down, I'm going to finally check this place out:

"Wilderness Outdoor Movie Theater is located in Trenton, Georgia off of Interstate 59, which is right next to the Tennessee/Georgia stateline. This theater claims to have the largest outdoor drive-in movie screen in the world.

The theater has two movie screens, each showing a double feature three nights of the weekend when it is open during the season. General Admission is typically $7.00 per person while children are free."

http://www.wildernesstheater.com/

So the Cliff Booth drive-in was actually a CG shot. I thought they used the swap meet/drive-in on the way to Disneyland. But I was mistaken!
Wow, that was flawless cgi!

Just shows how effective it can be when you don't half ass it.

http://weirsdrivein.com/

Typically do double features. Saw both Independence Day and Waterworld there, although you couldn't see anything in the underwater scenes. I also got busted for trying to smuggle in extra people once, panicked, and scraped my parents car on a fence.
Scottie, the human trafficker!
The ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD is actually an amazing piece of miniature work.  Beautiful stuff!

"Take, for instance, a beautiful shot where Brad Pitt’s character, Cliff, takes a shortcut on his drive home through a local drive-in movie theater. Tarantino told the ReelBlend guys that the drive-in doesn’t exist at that location anymore. But he had an idea.

We did that with miniatures. We found the space. The marquee was real. And we had a frame for how big the drive-in screen would be. Okay? So he really drove, and he turned and he went around this way. And then the camera moved up towards this kind of frame. Then John Dykstra -- the great John Dykstra -- built a miniature of the drive-in screen. And me being me…. when we get over the drive-in screen, I don't want CGI cars. I want toy cars. I want physical toy cars. Cars that can move a little bit, but a physical [car]. And he goes, ‘Well, that can get kind of expensive and no one's going to notice the difference.’ I go, ‘I'll notice the difference, and come on John, so will you.’ [Laughs]"  -- cinemablend
(03-19-2020, 07:39 PM)bradito Wrote: So the Cliff Booth drive-in was actually a CG shot. I thought they used the swap meet/drive-in on the way to Disneyland. But I was mistaken!

HOW COULD YOU???

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/h...ra-1265834
[Image: van_nuys_drive_publicity-_embed_2-2019_.jpg]
That's all CG.
(03-19-2020, 03:06 PM)Judas Booth Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 02:54 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: When I was a kid, my parents took us to the drive-in all the time because if my sister or I got tired, we could just crash out in the back of the car.  I saw Star Wars for the first time at a drive-in.  Saw a bunch of Godzilla movies at one.  Saw Bakshi's LOTR at one.  Good times.

We saw STAR WARS a few times.  We even went to see ORCA and I ended up watching STAR WARS (no sound) playing on other drive-in screens at the theater.

Nothing like seeing an R-Rated film at a drive in, especially when you're a kid.  I distinctly remember watching something PG rated and then looking at another screen playing HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS with 30 foot high breasts on the screen.

We went to the 1979 re-release of Star Wars at a double-screen drive-in.  My dad got caught up in this other movie playing behind us.  At one point he said, "Richie, you should look at this," so I turn around just in time to see the chestburster from Alien.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(03-19-2020, 08:09 PM)bradito Wrote: That's all CG.

oh!  my mistake! it was all them graphics!
In 1980, I had my tonsils removed a few days before THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK came out at my nearby drive-in. They told me I could have all the ice cream I wanted, but due to sensitive dental work I couldn't really have it. I remember getting a cheeseburger and a Coke at the snack bar and spending a half hour squishing the burger as flat as I could, because I thought that if the burger were really small it wouldn't hurt so much.

Still hurt, but the movie was so good I didn't mind.
I re-watched ONCE UPON A TIME... last nite.

That drive-in shot is amazing. Even knowing now, I couldn't tell it wasn't real.