Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Miss MichaelM
You can really see the budget limitations and creative hobbling re: Colossus in X2 and X3.

I LOVE the character in the Deadpool movies.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Not just budget, but you lose a lot of diversity and international flavor in the X-Men movies.

The whole point of the All-New, All-Different team that was introduced by Chris Claremont was that it replaced the lily-white, mostly male team with new races (Storm from Africa, Thunderbird a Native American) and cultures (Colossus Russian, Nightcrawler German, Banshee Irish, etc.).

There's been barely any of that in the movies. Pyro isn't even Australian anymore. What a bunch of odd decisions that make the X-Men seem very American-centric.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
Thank you for doing this so I don't have to Michael.

In these harsh and uncertain times you are the hero I deserve.
...but not the one you need.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

So MM, what was the first movie you saw in theaters?

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."

Hard to say with certainty at my advanced age but as best as I can tell, it was either MARY POPPINS or THE SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD.

I have a fairly vivid memory of my mom taking me out of First Blood Part II because I was crying too much (because my parents were bad parents).

I know I definitely saw Batman in '89 and Home Alone in '90.

Whippersnapper!

Indeed!

So what would you say "got" you into movies?

I feel like I'm suddenly the subject of an interview nobody wants to read!

I'll answer, but would ask anyone reading the thread to answer, too - let's make this a conversation about something more interesting than me.

As far as I can tell, I've always been into movies but it was probably King Kong - both the 1933 original and the 1976 remake - that sealed the deal for me. I saw the original version when I was 5 or so. My parents let me stay up late to watch it but wouldn't tell me anything about it - just had me watch it and experience it new and unknowing. I was eight years old when the 1976 version came out and I was HYPED for it. And after seeing ALIEN in the theater at the tender age of 11, I started making movies of my own with my dad's Super 8 camera. They're still around, somewhere, in a box.

What about you, dear reader? What made movies something more than just a way to kill time for you?

I devoured the Crestwood Monster books at a very young age. It must've been Monster Squad (on a VHS tape recorded off HBO!) that got me into the Universal Monsters, but once I discovered my school library had the big orange Crestwood Monster books there was no going back.

I think reading those in elementary school instilled in me from an early age the idea that movies are something that are made, not just something that exists.

Oh, yeah. I loved those books. Checked them out many times from the local library.

So you still cycling 15 miles?

I'm very confused by this thread!

Back to X-Men:

What do you think of Wolverine fighting women who are mirrors of him (Mystique literally turns into Wolverine, Deathstrike has his same abilities) in the first two movies?

That Bryan Singer doesn't have a high opinion of women.

DAMN IT, THREAD! You got a little weird.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Hey Michael: I finally watched the Langella DRACULA last night. That was pretty damned slick!

of note: I watched it with the original theatrical color saturation. Once done, we put in the other disc with the de-saturated look and buzzed through it to look at certain scenes. I think the film works both ways and I can see the merit to both versions, but I kinda prefer the rich colors of the theatrical print.

The wife liked it too, by the way. Not our favorite incarnation of Dracula but definitely a good one.
Because they were both released in 1979, I always confuse the Langella Dracula with Love at First Bite.

and LOVE AT FIRST BITE was far more successful. Very fun movie as I recall. I haven't seen it in at least 30 years but I remember it being a staple of the 80s in terms of play on HBO and similar.
Zero interest in the Langella Dracula. No fangs. Dracula as a swinging sexy bachelor. Naah, I'm good.

(I like my vampire more monstrous, ala Mr Barlow in Salem's Lot. Angsty, Eurotrash vampires do nothing for me.)

Hold on. I thought you were the one who'd recommended that one to me. I must have confused you with someone else.
T'warn't me, my friend.

Maybe hunter? He's seems to have DEEP knowledge of 70s cinema.

I like APOCALYPSE. That gets way too much shit.

The real ending to Big...
So since all the old guard film critics, the culture that really brought us all together here on CHUD in the first place, have died out, moved on or been revealed to be horrible people...

Where does MM go for his film analysis these days?

Lindsay Ellis, Lessons from the Screenplay, and various links I get from here and social media. I don't think I really follow any particular person(s).

I've recently really taken to Darren Mooney, an Irish film critic who has both a big Twitter presence and a blog: https://them0vieblog.com/

And Lindsey Romain, who writes for the Nerdist quite a bit.

Other than that, I've fallen away from following specific writers in general. There just aren't that many new voices out there, or they've moved over to YouTube and/or podcasts. I've been told by certain peeps in the know that the YouTube film vlogger bubble is about to burst, since there's been a lot of in-fighting in that community.

(03-27-2020, 08:57 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: I've recently really taken to Darren Mooney, an Irish film critic who has both a big Twitter presence and a blog: https://them0vieblog.com/

And Lindsey Romain, who writes for the Nerdist quite a bit.

Other than that, I've fallen away from following specific writers in general. There just aren't that many new voices out there, or they've moved over to YouTube and/or podcasts. I've been told by certain peeps in the know that the YouTube film vlogger bubble is about to burst, since there's been a lot of in-fighting in that community.

Mooney's review for THE WAY BACK has me more amped to see it.

I wasn't really aware of the infighting in the vlogger world but it seems inevitable. If there's a community, loose or tight, on the internet, there's gonna be infighting. And schisms. And CONTROVERSY.

Jesus, how is it still March.

How is it still 2020.

Remember when we all thought 2015 was bad?
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
We were supposed to see Bloodshot.

I miss him getting burgers with absolutely zero toppings.

I miss the little things.

Like me forgetting my wallet after driving 30 miles to catch a flick with the Bartmaster.

Like Uno being closed for some goddamned high school band function when all we want is something he can take home to Mrs Bart.

Like the really smelly guy sitting in our reserved seats and acting annoyed that he has to move.

(03-30-2020, 08:37 AM)MichaelM Wrote: How is it still 2020.

Well we are 25% of the way through.
"Nobody likes a math geek, Scully."