Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don Bluth's DRAGON'S LAIR starring Ryan Reynolds as Dirk The Daring!
Ryan Reynolds is in talks to star as Dirk The Daring in the Netflix live action film adaptation of the Don Bluth's DRAGON'S LAIR LaserDisc arcade game from the writing duo behind THE LEGO MOVIE and SCARY STORIES TO TELL IN THE DARK, Dan and Kevin Hageman.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/ryan-...203547670/

Too old. They should cast some fresh doofus. If Adam Sandler were in his 20's I'd pick him.
Git' in under mah belly!
I want this movie to be at least ten minutes of Reynolds becoming increasingly frustrated from constantly dying (but being revived by magic or whatever) by just missing a minor cliff jump.
So many quarters wasted on this game.
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
Fuck this game. The worst kind of 80s quartersink.

But of course I’m interested.

Agreed with doc. Hated the game. Nothing but lost quarters with no enjoyment ROI.

Also agreed that I'm interested.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
When I was a kid, we had a Chuck E. Cheese that had this game available. A buddy and I did research into all of the necessary moves and spent a ton of money perfecting the throughline so that we could win without losing a life. Some of the scenes were really, really hard and needed incredibly fast reflexes, but most of the scenes were pretty easy. Anyways, once we got good at it, we got to be heroes at that Chuck E. Cheese. Throw in one token and just go, letting the crowd amass around you. Showing off the ending battle with the dragon to people who'd never seen it was great.

We wanted to do the same with SPACE ACE but finding the game itself was a challenge; nobody seemed to have it.
The ones I really dug were CLIFF HANGER, which was in anime style, and especially THAYER'S QUEST, which was in the style of the old D&D cartoon and featured an entire keyboard of spells and items. It was also far too ambitiously planned as a trilogy, right at the time the arcade industry collapsed.

After a quick search, I just discovered that they actually released a PC sequel 10 years later. That's dedication!
Gamertag: Tweakee
(03-29-2020, 12:20 PM)farsight Wrote: The ones I really dug were CLIFF HANGER, which was in anime style, and especially THAYER'S QUEST, which was in the style of the old D&D cartoon and featured an entire keyboard of spells and items. It was also far too ambitiously planned as a trilogy, right at the time the arcade industry collapsed.

After a quick search, I just discovered that they actually released a PC sequel 10 years later. That's dedication!

CLIFF HANGER was fun but hard to find.  It used animation from CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO and another similar anime, if memory serves.
I preferred either GAUNTLET or RASTAN (a really great sidescroller) to scratch my arcade fantasy game itch back in the day.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(03-29-2020, 01:06 PM)MichaelM Wrote: I preferred either GAUNTLET or RASTAN (a really great sidescroller) to scratch my arcade fantasy game itch back in the day.

Loved both of those.  QUARTET was another good one.

When I was in college at the U of M, there was a place on campus that had a Gauntlet machine where one quarter/token gave you an obscene amount of health (like 10x what you'd get at a normal arcade).  We'd go there for a couple of hours and see how far we could get on 5 bucks and a few pitchers of beer.  Good times!
My friends and I referred to one dude as, "The Gauntlet Guy", because he was -always- at the Gauntlet machine whenever we walked into the restaurant or comic book store that had it. For years. Whichever place currently had Gauntlet/Gauntlet 2, had The Gauntlet Guy. And God help you if you shot the food!
Gamertag: Tweakee
That was a heroic effort!
Gauntlet was the shit.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
Elf, your lifeforce is running out!
Said it in the other thread, but it'd be a massive waste if they don't make the credits sequence for this a highlight reel of all the various death sequences.

Also if they don't rip off Tower of Druaga and have an episode where the characters have to meta-play the original game their world is the setting of.

And yeah, the game is aggravating bullshit (good thing that whole "mash this specific sequence of timed button presses in order to continue" thing died in a fire and never reared its ugly head again, right?) but at least it gave Don Bluth an excuse to have some fun.
Dragon's Lair is definitely gimmicky fun but I think Dragon's Lair II is where Bluth said "Fuck it." and had even more fun with it.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
If the Princess doesn't alway have hard nipples in this then it's just pointless.

(03-29-2020, 02:52 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: Said it in the other thread, but it'd be a massive waste if they don't make the credits sequence for this a highlight reel of all the various death sequences.

Also if they don't rip off Tower of Druaga and have an episode where the characters have to meta-play the original game their world is the setting of.

And yeah, the game is aggravating bullshit (good thing that whole "mash this specific sequence of timed button presses in order to continue" thing died in a fire and never reared its ugly head again, right?) but at least it gave Don Bluth an excuse to have some fun.

It is for Netflix, so they could just let you interact with it like the original.
(03-30-2020, 12:48 AM)simbob Wrote: It is for Netflix, so they could just let you interact with it like the original.

A la Black Mirror Bandersnatch.  That would actually be brilliant.
This might call for a "This will never happen"
(03-30-2020, 12:48 AM)simbob Wrote: If the Princess doesn't alway have hard nipples in this then it's just pointless.

(03-29-2020, 02:52 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: Said it in the other thread, but it'd be a massive waste if they don't make the credits sequence for this a highlight reel of all the various death sequences.

It is for Netflix, so they could just let you interact with it like the original.

(03-30-2020, 01:32 AM)somewhere Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 12:48 AM)simbob Wrote: It is for Netflix, so they could just let you interact with it like the original.

A la Black Mirror Bandersnatch.  That would actually be brilliant.

Holy shit.  A branching choice Dragon's Lair movie?

Don't let my childhood dreams just be dreams, Hollywood.

Sudden surge of interest
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
I was never any good at Dragon's Liar, but I kept playing because the animation looked so cool.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
I can already see the trailer in my head with Reynolds dying over and over again in all kinds of comedic fantasy themed ways.

Like Free Guy the Fantasy movie.
(04-21-2020, 12:35 AM)Chaz Rock City Wrote: I was never any good at Dragon's Liar, but I kept playing because the [DAPHNE] looked so [HOT].

EDITOR'S NOTE:  Corrected for accuracy

(04-21-2020, 12:40 AM)Overlord Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 12:35 AM)Chaz Rock City Wrote: I was never any good at Dragon's Liar, but I kept playing because the [DAPHNE] looked so [HOT].

EDITOR'S NOTE:  Corrected for accuracy

[Image: 2210832-daphne_2_.png]

At that time there was only one hot Daphne and that was the one from Scooby Doo.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Please. In a show where Velma exists?