Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Trank's CAPONE
Redbox Entertainment presents...

Quote:Director Josh Trank released the trailer on his Twitter account Wednesday. With theaters closed, the film will release on VOD on May 12 with a 48-hour rental. Plans are still in development for a summer theatrical release once movie theaters are back open.

[Image: CarelessCorruptAfricangroundhornbill-siz...ricted.gif]
Doesn't even seem to have a trailer on par with standard definition quality. Eek.

Anyway, I wish Trank well!
I wondered what happened to that guy!
I hope everything Trank ever touches fails. So good.
Oh, I'll never forgive him for Fantastic Four, the fiend!
I was talking about being a cunt of a human being.
I'm still more upset about FF.
Is that Neal Brennan?
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
He actually made the movie? Guy is nothing if not persistent.

It's like a mirror of our present reality. Guy at a resort in Florida pretending to have dementia/ guy at Mar a Lago pretending not to have dementia.
I remember seeing this referred to as Fonzo until now. But, why go with something kind of interesting when you can just slap the subject's name on the movie? Of course, what they really should've done was go with Capone's preferred nickname and call it Snorky.
So this will be 2020's "Gotti?"
(04-16-2020, 06:55 PM)Pither Wrote: I remember seeing this referred to as Fonzo until now. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

This does have very high GOTTI potential, although it's noticeable how the trailer does everything it can to obscure Hardy's performance until the very end.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
It feels like one of those fake trailers from a movie like "Tropic Thunder."
Supposedly El-P did the score to this which, I'm guessing, is not reflected in the trailer music.
How'd Tom Hardy get hornswoggled into this?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
It could have been such a great Travolta vehicle.
The fact that more than 0% of this evidently involves Capone facing off with an alligator intrigues me.
Seems like Hardy might be in danger of going Depp.
The last line of the trailer. The one about family. Was that...was that de Niro?
This looks like an NBC special event movie.

From 1987.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I wasn't expecting good reviews for this, but I was expecting way worse than what's showing up. Sounds like the movie goes full Grand Guignol and might be worth a look on that basis alone.
More like CRAPONE.
Git' in under mah belly!
Scout Tafoya, who does the great Unloved videos, loved the movie: https://twitter.com/Honors_Zombie/status...83715?s=20

But championing movies that everyone else lambastes is his thing, sooooooooo
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
Says the man who carries a torch for Star Trek Into Darkness.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I mean, I can't deny it.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
(05-12-2020, 11:55 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Scout Tafoya, who does the great Unloved videos, loved the movie: https://twitter.com/Honors_Zombie/status...83715?s=20

But championing movies that everyone else lambastes is his thing, sooooooooo

That tweet was a rollercoaster!

"Embargo seems to have lifted so allow me to say that CAPONE is one of the great American films this year."

Oh wow interesting!

"Trank's never made a bad film (you heard me)"

Oh god no
I'm intrigued enough to check this out. It seems like it has the potential to be the BABY JANE of gangster movies.
(05-12-2020, 12:59 PM)Mangy Wrote: That tweet was a rollercoaster!

"Embargo seems to have lifted so allow me to say that CAPONE is one of the great American films this year."

Oh wow interesting!

"Trank's never made a bad film (you heard me)"

Oh god no

Is that comment made tongue in cheek, because...well, there aren't a lot of movies out this year. So, like, I guess if it's okay it can be elevated to greatness with a small pool to compare it to?

I thought this was okay! They basically made a Stephen King movie out of a mobster's defeat by late-stage syphilis. In some ways, it's what BLACK MASS ought to have been. That too featured a consciously weird lead performance, but because it was surrounded by a movie that was convinced it was some sort of prestige crime drama, the result was utterly obnoxious.

This movie is also serious in tone, but it's much more aware of the fact that it's just a freak show, and I had fun with it on those terms. You can see why Hardy would have been attracted to the project. It's a chance for him to go totally bugfuck. Why not?
So I watched this.

Tom Hardy’s performance is of the sort that needs to be seen to be truly believed; he’s long been unafraid of going weird with a turn, but this is on a whole other level of unflattering strangeness. It’s a ballsy piece of work for him, and you’ve got to hand it to him for completely setting aside his own vanity and taking Al Capone into bizarro gross-out territory. I don’t know if it’s a good performance, but it’s definitely captivating.

As for Josh Trank’s writing and direction, there’s absolutely a clear perspective and intention that we can feel, and the execution of that is effective (it’s quite well shot and staged)... but was this really the best way to tell a Capone story? Framing a historical episode as dark psychological phantasmagoria is certainly a unique take, but I’m not sure how much understanding we really gain about Capone (either the man or his last days) within that framework.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(05-13-2020, 09:00 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: As for Josh Trank’s writing and direction, there’s absolutely a clear perspective and intention that we can feel, and the execution of that is effective (it’s quite well shot and staged)... but was this really the best way to tell a Capone story? Framing a historical episode as dark psychological phantasmagoria is certainly a unique take, but I’m not sure how much understanding we really gain about Capone (either the man or his last days) within that framework.

I think Trank is less interested in providing a window to Capone than a showcase for Hardy... or, that's what the end result is, anyway. The cast is really good, but this is the Hardy Goes Wackadoo Show.

Outside of that, as I was sitting there watching a carrot dangle out of his mouth, I thought "What's the point of this fuckin' thing?" It kinda reminded me of LEGEND, in which a scenery-devouring Tom Hardy performance is unable to save a flat story.
(05-18-2020, 05:17 PM)Mangy Wrote: I think Trank is less interested in providing a window to Capone than a showcase for Hardy... or, that's what the end result is, anyway.

Certainly.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
A couple of other thoughts:

1) This was produced by Lawrence Bender, a name I haven't heard in years;
2) Shot by Peter Deming, and it certainly looks great. if this wasn't shot on film, it frequently looks like it.

EDIT: Also this is way too accomplished* to compare to something like GOTTI, which is an inept, terrible hoot.

* 'accomplished' does not necessarily mean 'good'
(04-17-2020, 11:42 AM)RCA Wrote: Supposedly El-P did the score to this which, I'm guessing, is not reflected in the trailer music.

Longtime fan of El, so this is probably the main reason I'm going to watch it. How is the score?
I watched it recently and I wouldn't have known it was El-P if I wasn't told. It's mostly the type of indistinguishable ambient music that says "this is a sad movie".
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!