Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taika Waititi's STAR WARS (WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE)
"Academy Award winner Taika Waititi, who recently won Best Adapted Screenplay for Jojo Rabbit and directed the widely-acclaimed first season finale episode of The Mandalorian on Disney+, will direct and co-write a new Star Wars feature film for theatrical release.

Joining Waititi on the screenplay will be Academy Award nominee Krysty Wilson-Cairns (1917, Last Night in Soho), who received a BAFTA Award for Outstanding British Film of the Year on the three-time Oscar-winning film, 1917."

https://www.starwars.com/news/taika-waititi-announce
Maybe in this thread people won't creep on CGI-bodied-goth-Cate.  

But they probably will.

Overlord's sense of superiority, brought to you by Overlord.
(05-04-2020, 03:01 PM)bailey Wrote: Overlord's sense of superiority, brought to you by Overlord.

Overlord assures you that Overlord would never do such a thing.

So Taika's dance card is Next Goal Wins (which was shot and is in post-production) in 2020, Thor Love & Thunder (script/storyboards done - or as done as they can be prior to production on a blockbuster) in 2021, Stah Wahs, presumably, in 2022? Busy man.
(05-04-2020, 02:56 PM)Overlord Wrote: Maybe in this thread people won't creep on CGI-bodied-goth-Cate.  

But they probably will.

Expect it....when you least expect it!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(05-04-2020, 02:56 PM)Overlord Wrote: Maybe in this thread people won't creep on CGI-bodied-goth-Cate.  

But they probably will.

Come on, that's like mentioning an earworm song to people.  It's all we'll be able to think about now.

Furthermore, some body once told me
Seems good.

1917 got awards for writing?
How long before Kathleen Kennedy replaces/fires him?
"You and your friends may have heard a rumor that Palpatine has only one ball. This is nonsense. He has four."
I hope he works closely with Rian
Love & Thunder is February 2022 now.

Guess Akira doesn’t happen.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
(05-04-2020, 07:30 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Guess Akira doesn’t happen.

Fine by me, although Taika's involvement was something that piqued my curiosity.
I'm struggling with the words to describe how strongly I'd rather see Taika's AKIRA.
We've reached a strange time where the announcement of a new STAR WARS movie has zero effect on my pulse. The one-two punch of SOLO and RISE OF SKYWALKER have worked miracles.

And I like Taika! But I'd rather he do memorable original things than make mildly diverting B-grade Disney adventure films like THOR RAGNAROK.
Taika is 45, 2 years older than me, so I'm guessing he's of an age that you simply can't say no to the chance at directing a Star Wars film.
PSN: Kriegaffe
If this isn't the Further Adventures of Chopper and AP-5, then count me out.

"C1-0P, did you just murder those three people."

"whistles and beeps"

":::disappointed sigh::: Fine, i will go grab the mop bot."
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
(05-04-2020, 04:18 PM)simbob Wrote: Seems good.

1917 got awards for writing?

"THE CAMERA pans to the right. It keeps panning. It goes up and down slightly, following the landscape, while still panning to the right. And panning. And..."
(05-04-2020, 07:41 PM)Reasor Wrote: I'm struggling with the words to describe how strongly I'd rather see Taika's AKIRA.

Is that Akira movie still happening? If not, hopefully he just takes a bunch of stuff he wanted to do there and does it here.
Doesn't this happen all the time? A new director is announced as the director of a Star Wars film, Barry instantly creates a thread, everyone expresses their doubts and/or joy, and then we repeat the process again and again and again? Meanwhile, the movie never happens.

Remember when James Mangold was going to do one of these?

And Zack Snyder?

And Josh Trank?

How'd those turn out?
In Barry’s defense, it was his birthday. And he wanted to do it.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
But with each Star Wars thread he creates, he only becomes more unstoppable!
My hope and/or fear: this thing won't just be a McDonald's cheeseburger of a post-Lucas Star Wars product, it'll be a cold Ubereats delivered Big Mac combo with a $10 upcharge, and the driver stuck his Covid fingers in the fries.
It's not Barry's fault Kathleen Kennedy keeps killing Star Wars movies...or decide if something should be a movie or a Disney+ web series.
Hot take. The Kathleen Kennedy hate is lame and kind of unwarranted. Making interesting choices and letting inexperienced interesting people take a shot at making a Star Wars is something that should be applauded. Rogue One, Mando and TLJ are interesting brave projects.
I've said it before, but they should have kept Lucas in the loop, at least for 7, 8 & 9.

You can have interesting and brave, but if you are simultaneously going to claim this is a 9 film saga, there also needs to be "a story" to serve as a through-line.

Kathleen Kennedy and whoever else signed off on the narrative deserves criticism for failing to provide that.
PSN: Kriegaffe
(05-04-2020, 10:57 PM)kriegaffe Wrote: I've said it before, but they should have kept Lucas in the loop, at least for 7, 8 & 9.

You can have interesting and brave, but if you are simultaneously going to claim this is a 9 film saga, there also needs to be "a story" to serve as a through-line.

Kathleen Kennedy and whoever else signed off on the narrative deserves criticism for failing to provide that.

As has been covered many times, Luke being a sad sack on an island training a young woman to be a Jedi is a Lucas idea. So he was pretty much in the loop, minus the whackier bad ideas.
I hope he doesn't make it too funny.

I don't like when my space wizard children's movies are too funny.
... Saxon?!
At least this Farce will be a Farce that's on purpose.

May the Farce be with you.
Git' in under mah belly!
(05-04-2020, 08:24 PM)bradito Wrote: Doesn't this happen all the time? A new director is announced as the director of a Star Wars film, Barry instantly creates a thread, everyone expresses their doubts and/or joy, and then we repeat the process again and again and again? Meanwhile, the movie never happens.

Remember when James Mangold was going to do one of these?

And Zack Snyder?

And Josh Trank?

How'd those turn out?

Trank was the only one of those that was ever officially announced by LFL. Waititi was as well, so that's the first obstacle down!
Remember when Kevin Feige was going to do one??
Is he still Mr. Star Wars? Do I remember that wrong?
(05-04-2020, 11:07 PM)freeman Wrote: As has been covered many times, Luke being a sad sack on an island training a young woman to be a Jedi is a Lucas idea.  So he was pretty much in the loop, minus the whackier bad ideas.

And large sections of the audience vehemently loathed one or both of those ideas (I don't, I think they're great).  

I get why Lucas and Disney parted ways, from both sides. It's difficult to imagine a comfortable halfway house, for Lucas or the directors, between him being the supreme overlord of the story, production and compnay that he was for the origina films, and the script consultant Disney would have liked.
(05-04-2020, 10:43 PM)freeman Wrote: Hot take.  The Kathleen Kennedy hate is lame and kind of unwarranted.  Making interesting choices and letting inexperienced interesting people take a shot at making a Star Wars is something that should be applauded. Rogue One, Mando and TLJ are interesting brave projects.

Doing the pretty straight remake of original Star Wars trilogy was an interesting choice. Not really good, but interesting. Rogue One and The Last Jedi being brave projects sure seems like an interesting take I guess. Not sure how doing a direct tie-in to Star Wars, (as in that first movie) that needless shoehorns in characters from that first movie, and stupidly end during the first movie is somehow brave. Doing a remake of The Empire Strikes Back, especially when the previous remake sets you up to move in a different direction, doesn't exactly seem brave either.

I wouldn't call The Mandalorian a brave interesting project either. It's just not a completely stupid cowardly one.