Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enhance Your Calm, Stallone's Making Demo Man 2
Because nothing has aged as well as Marco Brambilla's 1993 feature length Denis Leary routine about how living clean to prevent the spread of diseases leads to tyranny, the Italian Stallion himself has been making productive use of his social distancing time.

From Stallone's Instagram account, answering a fan who asked:

Quote:“Can we get another Demo Man. I think there is coming...we’re working on it right now with Warner Bros. It’s looking fantastic. So that should come out, that’s gonna happen.”

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_vnmVSpZvh...CC7D892898
No pitch, no script, no director, probably no Bullock, only good intentions and Stallone not getting any younger... This is not an Indy 5 situation but I really don't see that happening. Who could match Snipes anyway?
No Snipes no buy. Dennis Leary too.
Git' in under mah belly!
(05-04-2020, 05:38 PM)magiclapinou Wrote: No pitch, no script, no director, probably no Bullock, only good intentions and Stallone not getting any younger... This is not an Indy 5 situation but I really don't see that happening. Who could match Snipes anyway?

The Rock? 

Actually, that's not a question. The Rock. The Rock having as much fun as he did in Be Cool. 

Be Cool: A terrible movie, but also probably the best The Rock has been in anything.
The Rock needs to pick up his phone and accept the role I have for him in this Sailor Moon script I'm working on.

He's Sailor Venus.
Give me a prequel about the restaurant wars
(05-04-2020, 05:38 PM)magiclapinou Wrote: No pitch, no script, no director, probably no Bullock, only good intentions and Stallone not getting any younger... This is not an Indy 5 situation but I really don't see that happening. Who could match Snipes anyway?

(05-05-2020, 05:52 AM)simbob Wrote:

The Rock? 

Actually, that's not a question. The Rock. The Rock having as much fun as he did in Be Cool. 

Be Cool: A terrible movie, but also probably the best The Rock has been in anything.

The Rock is absolutely fantastic in BE COOL to the point that I wish the whole movie had just been about him.
The Rock won't play a villian.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
I always wondered about the logistics of Demolition Man. Is San Angeles the only place like this? Have they seceded from the United States? What's the rest of the world like?

Very strange.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
(05-05-2020, 12:15 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: I always wondered about the logistics of Demolition Man. Is San Angeles the only place like this? Have they seceded from the United States? What's the rest of the world like?

Very strange.

Good point.  Nothing is really said about the condition of the US as a whole.  You'd think that if San Angeles was an 'isolated' occurrence of such extreme political correctness, people like Edgar Friendly would just move elsewhere so that they could eat their hamburgers, smoke their cigarettes, and run naked covered in green jello reading a Playboy magazine if they wanted to.  The fact that they stay in San Angeles would indicate to me that the political correctness on display is the norm in the country.

Enhance your calm indeed.
It doesn't bother me or anything, but it is one of those situations where you could easily explain the rest of the country away as having died in a plague or something (topical!).

Without even that throwaway line, I'm left thinking no way this city state of dweebs isn't getting taken advantage of by all their neighbors.

You know, the whole line about Schwarzenegger being president, "Even though he wasn't born in this country, his popularity at the time caused the 61st Amendment, which states..."

seems to indicate San Angeles is still in the U.S. Sooooooooooooo

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."

Sometimes satire is just satire, I think. Nothing exists outside of San Angeles because that's how people who live in the region now think of themselves. The libertarians won't leave the safety of San Angeles because going off the grid would mean a life of more hardship, not less. I wouldn't take it any more seriously than that.
I think there was some throw away lines about the geo political sitch. Pretty sure San Angeles was a lot of the West coast.
(05-05-2020, 04:22 PM)Reasor Wrote: Sometimes satire is just satire, I think.  

Exactly right.

When something is clearly set up as a satire, getting hung up on the fictional backstory of the satire is a pretty pointless exercise.  A saying about forests and trees comes to mind.

(05-05-2020, 12:28 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: It doesn't bother me or anything, but it is one of those situations where you could easily explain the rest of the country away as having died in a plague or something (topical!).

Without even that throwaway line, I'm left thinking no way this city state of dweebs isn't getting taken advantage of by all their neighbors.

You know, the whole line about Schwarzenegger being president, "Even though he wasn't born in this country, his popularity at the time caused the 61st Amendment, which states..."

seems to indicate San Angeles is still in the U.S. Sooooooooooooo

Wasn't the non-Wesley Snipes bad guy's plan to take out Edgar Friendly because the resistance was for some reason the last obstacle to rolling out the social restructuring plan nation wide?
(05-05-2020, 12:15 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: I always wondered about the logistics of Demolition Man. Is San Angeles the only place like this? Have they seceded from the United States? What's the rest of the world like?

Very strange.

It's been a whole lot of years since I've seen it, but I remember there being some bit of dialogue that makes it sound like San Angeles is a test case.
Hence why I said "It doesn't bother me or anything" up above.

But within the context of not being bothered, it's still fun to imagine what the rest of the country/world is like. Judge Dredd is in Mega City One. It's still fun to picture Mega City Two.

Remember fun?

Maybe in part 2 you get a fine for fun instead of saying fuck
"We Are Young" did get really annoying after hearing it for the millionth time.

Here's Daniel Waters in an interview last month talking about what an almost-sequel to Demolition Man could've been: https://www.vulture.com/2020/04/intervie...aters.html

Quote:You brought up on a podcast once that there was a moment when [producer] Joel Silver thought there could be a sequel.
Well, it’s a very funny thing. In the movie … [John Spartan, the character played by] Stallone brings up that he had a daughter.

Yeah, and then you never see her! He never reconnects with her.
Oh, my God. Okay. Let me just lay it all out for you.

First of all, nobody seems to do the math that the daughter would be older than Stallone. We filmed a scene where … an actress that I like — Elizabeth Ruscio — she was in this great miniseries with Juliette Lewis called Home Fires. Nobody’s ever heard of it, but it’s brilliant. Anyway, she ends up playing Stallone’s daughter. It’s a tender scene, [and it] just stopped the movie dead. So, Joel’s like, “Cut it. Just cut it.” And so we cut the scene out. And then I tell you, all our first test screenings … everyone thought Sandra Bullock was the daughter. So, when they’re about to have sex, the whole audience is, “Oh, no.”

Very Old Boy.
Yeah, exactly. And we thought, “Maybe we should cut out all mentions of the daughter.” Can’t do it. We can’t do it. We need something. And then Joel Silver’s like, “Meryl Streep is the daughter [for the sequel]. She needs a big box office action movie.” I go, “No, she doesn’t.” But he was like, “If I get her to do it, will you come on?” Which is funny, because to get Winona Ryder off my back, I had told her the story of her character in Heathers, going to Washington and working for a senator named Heather — played by Meryl Streep. She was like, “I pitched to Meryl, she’s excited.” So, I’m doomed, for no Meryl Streep sequels are happening. But yes, Joel did talk about a sequel.

Do you know if Streep was ever asked?
I’m pretty sure she wasn’t. I wasn’t going to call in every week for a follow-up. Jesus, now you’ve got me thinking about a sequel. I’d have to “come clean” with the three seashells and just have a graphic … I mean, that’d be the trailer. I wouldn’t even need to show action, just a teaser of Stallone walking into a stall. He sees the three seashells, and he turns to the camera, “Do you want to find out, or what?”

If we make movies again, maybe I can do this.

Haha to get Winona Ryder off his back? I love Daniel Waters.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(05-05-2020, 07:01 AM)Reasor Wrote: The Rock needs to pick up his phone and accept the role I have for him in this Sailor Moon script I'm working on.

He's Sailor Venus.

"Do you smell what's cooking on Venus?"

But sir, uh, ma'am, I don't understand the ques-

"IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! Lalalalala LAO!"
Git' in under mah belly!
I loved Demolition man when it came out, still like it today. Cliffhanger and Demolition Man in the same year made 15 year old me a Stallone fan for life. That said, with the weird deals and choices Stallone has made lately, I expect this will end up being cheaply done by the same quality people who did Escape Plan 2 & 3 and go straight to video.
In the same interview he talked about this he revealed plans for a Nighthawks TV series and that he was going to make a film based on the book Hunter which he has been talking up for over a decade. He always throws stuff out there when he does these Q&A deals.

Think he just likes to talk this stuff up for two reasons. He doesn't want to bum folks out and say he'd never do a sequel to DEMOLITON MAN, and maybe if he mentions it some studio exec who loved DEMOLITION MAN as a kid will actually bite on it.
(05-06-2020, 10:55 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: "We Are Young" did get really annoying after hearing it for the millionth time.

Here's Daniel Waters in an interview last month talking about what an almost-sequel to Demolition Man could've been: https://www.vulture.com/2020/04/intervie...aters.html

Quote:You brought up on a podcast once that there was a moment when [producer] Joel Silver thought there could be a sequel.
Well, it’s a very funny thing. In the movie … [John Spartan, the character played by] Stallone brings up that he had a daughter.

First of all, nobody seems to do the math that the daughter would be older than Stallone. We filmed a scene where … an actress that I like — Elizabeth Ruscio — she was in this great miniseries with Juliette Lewis called Home Fires. Nobody’s ever heard of it, but it’s brilliant. Anyway, she ends up playing Stallone’s daughter. It’s a tender scene, [and it] just stopped the movie dead. So, Joel’s like, “Cut it. Just cut it.” And so we cut the scene out. And then I tell you, all our first test screenings … everyone thought Sandra Bullock was the daughter. So, when they’re about to have sex, the whole audience is, “Oh, no.”

Very Old Boy.
Yeah, exactly. And we thought, “Maybe we should cut out all mentions of the daughter.” Can’t do it. We can’t do it. We need something. And then Joel Silver’s like, “Meryl Streep is the daughter [for the sequel]. She needs a big box office action movie.” I go, “No, she doesn’t.” But he was like, “If I get her to do it, will you come on?” Which is funny, because to get Winona Ryder off my back, I had told her the story of her character in Heathers, going to Washington and working for a senator named Heather — played by Meryl Streep. She was like, “I pitched to Meryl, she’s excited.” So, I’m doomed, for no Meryl Streep sequels are happening. But yes, Joel did talk about a sequel.

I’m pretty sure she wasn’t. I wasn’t going to call in every week for a follow-up. Jesus, now you’ve got me thinking about a sequel. I’d have to “come clean” with the three seashells and just have a graphic … I mean, that’d be the trailer. I wouldn’t even need to show action, just a teaser of Stallone walking into a stall. He sees the three seashells, and he turns to the camera, “Do you want to find out, or what?”

I don't know how I never knew that he wrote Demolition Man.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
This will never happen. This is strictly 'let's give people something to talk about while they're in quarantine' talk.
(05-07-2020, 11:16 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(05-06-2020, 10:55 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: "We Are Young" did get really annoying after hearing it for the millionth time.

Very Old Boy.

I don't know how I never knew that he wrote Demolition Man.

Waters had this really great stretch with Heathers, Hudson Hawk, Batman Returns and Demolition Man. Then he just...disappeared. He doesn't seem to have done anything between 1993 and 2001, then makes a couple of movies no one has ever heard of before 2014's Vampire Academy (which I've heard is actually okay, but I never saw it). 

I know he worked on a Catwoman spinoff script in the mid-'90s that, obviously, never came to fruition. I wonder why he fell off the radar after such high-profile projects? Maybe he moved to the theater or something.