Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 6 Pre-Release Discussion
I bumped the DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES thread because I thought the discovery of the rejected script was worth discussing, but since the future of the series is also in the news at the moment, it's probably time that the upcoming movie get its own thread.

There's been a lot of mixed messages about the next sequel since the fifth movie came out. First we were told that Joachim Rønning (one half of the fifth movie's directing team) would be back for a sixth film which would reprise Kaya Scodelario and be written by Jeff Nathanson, Terry Rossio and Ted Elliot.

Then it was, no, we're ditching Depp and going full reboot, to be conceived by the DEADPOOL guys. Then sometime last year those writers split the project, and script duties were handed over to Craig Mazin and Ted Elliot.

This year there was a rumor that Depp would return after all, and more recently we're being told that Karen Gillan is being eyed to headline a reboot. Now we've got some guy saying that the reboot with Gillan and PIRATES 6 are in fact distinct projects, and both could end up being made.

Who knows. But fire away with the speculation.
At this point I think most people have had their fill of Johhny Depp as Jack Sparrow. The last two movies were really pushing it. Though I did enjoy the PotC level of Kingdom Hearts 3, and even had Sora take a selfie with Cap'n Jack.
Git' in under mah belly!
The correct answer is to stop, of course, but we can take it for granted that they won't. 

This leaves Disney to ponder an interesting business question: which is the bigger risk? The Mouse is surely fed up with paying Depp his insane $50M-90M salary, and I'm convinced that's the real reason they want to drop him from the franchise and not the behavioral stuff. These movies consistently make a ton of money (probably helped by the generous hiatuses between each installment), but I suspect they've become close enough to break even ventures that the powers that be are ready for a shakeup.

We'll see though. Faith in a new approach probably has a way of weakening once the day comes where somebody's gotta sign the $250 million check. It's starting to look like no major tentpoles are going to be able to film before 2021, so even if they were ready to proceed now, they're going to have plenty of time to second guess themselves nineteen more times.
I'm all for a POTC starring Karen Gillian. However I would like the stories simplified a bit. These movies don't need to be an epic trilogy. Take a hint from Raiders and have Gillian's goal to be a simple one, however she keeps experiencing set backs. Hopefully said set backs create good set pieces.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Was that last Pirates any good at all?
It's good. It's got problems, namely the Turner's kid sucks. But the stuff with Kaya Scodelario is good. It's basically a remake of the first movie. I liked it more than two and three anyways, at least what I saw of it.
(06-06-2020, 05:18 AM)freeman Wrote: Was that last Pirates any good at all?

I think so.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
This reminds me I need to see Pirates 4 and 5. I really liked Scodelario in that show SPINNING OUT, so I've been meaning to check it out for a while.

Fun fact - she's married to Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (Benjamin Walker).
home taping is killing music
5 is ok. For a tired old franchise, it’s a solid adventure.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I'd probably put DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES right behind CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL and DEAD MAN'S CHEST. It's a good time.

ON STRANGER TIDES has one of the best setpieces of the whole series (the mermaid sequence), and it's an okay movie, but making Jack Sparrow the total focal point was a mistake. He has no personal investment in the plot, nor does really anybody else to any extent that we care about.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Part 5 is certainly watchable, but there's something off about it where I couldn't stay fully engaged.
Git' in under mah belly!
That's more how I see ON STRANGER TIDES, but overall even that one's not as bad as often made out.
HAHAHAHAHA

No thank you.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Tides feels like so much nothing happens until they actually get to the Fountain, and by then it's too late. And it wastes McShane as Blackbeard, which should be some kind of jailable offense.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(06-06-2020, 12:04 PM)boone daniels Wrote: This reminds me I need to see Pirates 4 and 5. I really liked Scodelario in that show SPINNING OUT, so I've been meaning to check it out for a while.

Fun fact - she's married to Abraham Lincoln.
If you had stopped here that would have been a much more interesting fact.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I watched Dead Men Tell No Tales and I thought it was a good time.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
This thread has me rewatching these movies.

Depp gets a lot of the praise for Pirates 1, and rightfully so, but the supporting cast - particularly Rush and Pryce - are just as grand. It's a real example of a movie where everyone knows what they're in, and what their role is in the narrative.

The effects completely hold up and look just as good as stuff today. I'd put it with the '99 MUMMY as an example of a movie whose effects hold up 20 years on.
home taping is killing music
I rewatched them when 5 came out. I caution you, it starts as fun and games, but by the end of 3, it’s quite an ordeal. They don’t reward binging.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Rush is great in the first one, has that killer entrance at the end of the second one, and then kind of gets moved more and more to the background as the series goes on. He's still great, but they rarely give Barbossa enough to do. And they also can't seem to decide if he's an unwillingly ally or an outright antagonist.

----------

The Pirates franchise is a good example of the 2000s need to epic everything up in the vein of The Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, and Star Wars.

That series should have set it sights on aping Indiana Jones. It might've fared better had it come out a few years later, and took its lead from the lighter, less serialised Marvel films (at least the non-Avengers ones). At World's End tries to be this massive, epic paeon to the age of piracy, and it's an insane, boring waste of potential.

Karen Gillan is a genious bit of casting though. She can play edge, but she's naturally got a bit of a loopy-ditz demeanour. She'd - whisper it - make a far, far better Indiana Jones than pretty much any male contender (Christopher Pratt can gtfo) you can mention. Dunno who Indy's daughter would fight in the 60s and 70s though...
In the end you get to have it both ways. The (reverse-engineered) trilogy gave us an EPIC SAGA, and the installments thereafter are closer to the Indiana Jones pattern.

I would agree there was something "in vogue" about the whole epic saga thing fifteen years ago, and fair enough that people think PIRATES became a bit much when it went that way. But I used to pick up on this weird boundary-drawing element of "PIRATES is not STAR WARS!" to some of these complaints, as if STAR WARS (or anything else) has some natural right to indulge in expansive world-building that PIRATES does not. "It's based on a theme ride!" was a common criticism for why the series should have kept the scope limited.

Yes, a theme park ride...which is somehow way less legitimate a foundation than George Lucas's naked mixtape of FLASH GORDON and Edgar Rice Burroughs. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if the inspiration is a book, a ride, a comic, another movie or a tattoo design. If you succeed in presenting a cool world with limitless potential, shouldn't what the writers do with it be entirely down to imagination? I am not saying that the PIRATES trilogy is some unqualified success in what it sets out to do, but there's this weird demarcative line people like to draw with these things, and it's silly.
Still haven't seen Depp Men Learn No Lines. What I've wanted is for Disney to go full on Monkey Island with this series since they bought Lucasfilm's properties. They can tone down some of the more cartoonish aspects but I'd love to see big screen Guybrush Threepwood be thing that happens.

It can't think twice, can't reason, can't change it's prime directive. It's like a chainsaw set on frappé.
It would be nice to get a Monkey Island movie.
It’s always kinda bothered me how Sparrow seems to get dumber as the movies go along. Especially in the last two.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
It does happen to people with drinking problems.

Sparrow was most interesting in the first movie, when they weren't writing for Depp's Sparrow. When they were writing for the character Depp created in that second and third movie it just wants as fun or interesting. Although I didn't have a problem with him in 5...still haven't seen 4.
(06-09-2020, 11:14 PM)Paul755 Wrote: It’s always kinda bothered me how Sparrow seems to get dumber as the movies go along. Especially in the last two.

He goes from "competent eccentric" to "incredibly lucky doofus" and it's really annoying.

----------

God, that shot in the trailer for On Stranger Tides where he's just screaming bugged the shit out of me when I first saw it. It's been all down hill since.
(06-09-2020, 11:14 PM)Hummingbird Saltalamacchia Wrote: It’s always kinda bothered me how Sparrow seems to get dumber as the movies go along. Especially in the last two.

Flanderization is more commonly associated with television shows, but POTC is an excellent cinema example.

Margot Robbie starring, her BIRDS OF PREY scribe writing...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v...ie-1298722

I was skeptical of past rumors of a female-led PIRATES film, as Disney has considered it one of their more boy-skewing properties (certainly in the theme parks, anyway). But I guess they feel they really need to change things up.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I'm not interested in any kind of Pirates movie unless Verbinski is back.
(06-26-2020, 03:39 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Margot Robbie starring, her BIRDS OF PREY scribe writing...

I was skeptical of past rumors of a female-led PIRATES film, as Disney has considered it one of their more boy-skewing properties (certainly in the theme parks, anyway). But I guess they feel they really need to change things up.

Birds of Prey writer? Lets hope they don't use the Birds Of Prey marketing people too.
They're doing a reboot as well as this unrelated to the franchise story?

Dumbasses should've just licensed Monkey Island!
Gamertag: Tweakee
License it from themselves? Monkey Island is the property of Lucasfilm, a wholly owned subsidiary of Disney!

We are all but logotypes in Mickey Mouse's billfold, my friend.
(06-26-2020, 03:50 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 03:39 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Margot Robbie starring, her BIRDS OF PREY scribe writing...

I was skeptical of past rumors of a female-led PIRATES film, as Disney has considered it one of their more boy-skewing properties (certainly in the theme parks, anyway).  But I guess they feel they really need to change things up.

Birds of Prey writer? Lets hope they don't use the Birds Of Prey marketing people too.

Man, if I was the Birds of Prey writer I'd really want articles just talking about how I'm the Bumblebee writer.
I'd rather see the Golgotha Anna Bonny hardcore Buffy the Vampire Slayer with pirates book adapted to the big screen than whatever milquetoast nonsense this ends up being.