Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion
OK, listen up.  We're doing another character draft, kinda like we did with the 'Heist Draft'.  You're going to be drafting the characters themselves, not the actors (with one exception, noted below).  For these characters, we're drawing from the following media:
- films (foreign and domestic)
- television (foreign and domestic)

Live action, cartoon, color or black & white...it doesn't matter.  Everything is fair game.  The only real rule is that every character must come from a different source; you can't draft two (or more) characters from the same movie or television show.

Genre is up to you.  Making a straight action film?  Sounds good.  Making an existential treatise on law enforcement?  Go nuts.  Making a spoof?  Have at it.  It's all up to you.

You're going to be casting various specific parts.  Some are required, some are optional.  Either way, you're drafting 10 people.

Required:
Cop 1
Cop 2
The Boss of the Cops
Villain
Main Henchman

Optional:
Cop 1's partner/spouse/love interest
Cop 2's partner/spouse/love interest
Cop 1's child
Cop 2's child
The Cop's Crazy Parent/Relative
The Cop Who's There to Die
The Cop Who's a Pain in the Ass
The Cop Who's There for Comic Relief
The FBI/CIA Contact
The Politician who wants results
The Snitch
Secondary Villain
Henchman #2
Henchman #3
The 'Villain' Who is Revealed to Be a Good Guy
The 'Good Guy' Who is Revealed to Be a Villain
The Big Name Cameo: this is where you can actually draft a currently living actor to cameo in any role for one scene.  Note that this actor CAN also be playing one of the characters in the film (required or optional).

During the sign up process, I'm fully willing to entertain suggestions for additional roles which can be drafted (required or optional).

When you're done, write up your story and pitch it to the rest of us.

List of participants (to be continuously updated)
1. Judas
2. Pither
3. Molt
4. Richard
5. Atom
6. HP
7. Hunter
8. Bailey
9. Ratty
10. Arjen
11. Dent
12. Boris
13. Hot Sandwich
14. Turing
15. Simbob
16. OneManMust
17. Boone
18. Fat Elvis
I'm in. Because I get results, damn it!
We're back! We're bad! You're black! I'm in!
But I've got two weeks to retirement!
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Shit just got real.
I'm in!
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
I've been waiting for this draft for years. My dick gets hard when the wind blows!

I'm gonna use this as an exercise to flesh out more of a buddy cop script I've been trying to crack, so each of my choices will be an inspiration, in some way, for said character.

In that regard, are there boundaries I should consider if I want to discuss plot points and possible action sequences? If not, I'll gladly DM back and forth.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
(05-07-2020, 03:02 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: I've been waiting for this draft for years. My dick gets hard when the wind blows!

I'm gonna use this as an exercise to flesh out more of a buddy cop script I've been trying to crack, so each of my choices will be an inspiration, in some way, for said character.

In that regard, are there boundaries I should consider if I want to discuss plot points and possible action sequences? If not, I'll gladly DM back and forth.

DM if you want but I don't see why you can't discuss plot points and action sequences in the discussion while the draft is going.  As long as you don't name characters, you should be fine.  You might give away your game somewhat, but that's up to you.
That's fair, for sure.

I see it as a glimpse inside my mind more than anything.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
I'm in.
Fuck it. I work from home now. I'm in for this one.
"Lets pour some sugar on Dallas!!  Seriose inquarys only!"
Yeah I’m in.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
That's 10 so far. We're a go, although I'd love to have at least 6 more to make things competitive and interesting for the eventual brackets.
I want THE BADGE OF EVERY GODDAMN CHEWER WHO DOESN'T SIGN UP FOR THIS! THE MAYOR'S ON MY ASS GODDAMMIT! I WANT RESULTS!

In.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Locked & loaded.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
This loose cannon is in.
Question: Are we including private investigators as a cop surrogate? I didn't realize how many "buddy" movies have PIs instead of cops.
"Lets pour some sugar on Dallas!!  Seriose inquarys only!"
(05-08-2020, 08:06 AM)ratty Wrote: Question:   Are we including private investigators as a cop surrogate?  I didn't realize how many "buddy" movies have PIs instead of cops.

works for me!
Is it okay if we draft a Henchman #2? I want my villain to have a mini-crew of thugs.
(05-08-2020, 11:33 AM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Is it okay if we draft a Henchman #2? I want my villain to have a mini-crew of thugs.

Yep.  I added two henchmen to the available slots.
Follow up to the P.I question: Are all Law Enforcement types fair game? FBI, Marshalls, ATF...obviously I'm excluding CIA/NSA types as they are closer to spies or whatever.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
(05-08-2020, 12:46 PM)boristhecheese Wrote: Follow up to the P.I question:  Are all Law Enforcement types fair game?  FBI, Marshalls, ATF...obviously I'm excluding CIA/NSA types as they are closer to spies or whatever.

Personally, I'm fine with all forms of law enforcement being fair game.  'Cop' is a pretty generic terms, and we've all seen the 'buddy cop' formula applied to various situations/genres over the years.

One concern that I have is people going too niche with their selections to the point that they're not really competing with anyone else for characters.  In the end, the spirit of this draft is that you're making a 'buddy cop' movie/tv show.  That should be the primary descriptive factor of your draft.  If you're choosing inappropriate (non-law enforcement related) characters for your two leads, I'm not going to stop you, but you're really not following the spirit of the draft.
(05-08-2020, 11:50 AM)Judas Booth Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 11:33 AM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Is it okay if we draft a Henchman #2? I want my villain to have a mini-crew of thugs.

Yep.  I added two henchmen to the available slots.

Awesome, thanks!
Wait, are we supposed to draft actual cops from movies? I thought like, if I wanted Milo from Milo and Otis as my first cop, that was fair game.
I'm only drafting to take my mind off my dog biscuit problem.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
Any profession involving law can be fair game.

Haven't you cats seen Shakedown?
Seems weird but I'll do it
I'll give this shot.....(wailing sax)
OK, cool. That puts us at 16. I'll keep this open until Saturday in case anyone else wants to join in, but 16 was the 'magic number' that I was looking for.
In terms of the CAMEO role, the actor can be playing himself? A character from a past film? Or an original character we create?

And we would be drafting them at their age today?
(05-11-2020, 05:51 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: In terms of the CAMEO role, the actor can be playing himself? A character from a past film? Or an original character we create?

And we would be drafting them at their age today?

The actor is playing him/herself and must be alive/active right now.

Maybe the cops are doing bodyguard duty on an actual celebrity.
Maybe, on the tv screen, an actual person shows up to offer 'fake' commentary on what's going on.

Or maybe it's something like this...

Do the characters have to be played by actors who are alive? To use the example I used earlier, if I want Chaplin's Little Tramp to interact with Martin Riggs, can I do that?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(05-11-2020, 05:58 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: Do the characters have to be played by actors who are alive? To use the example I used earlier, if I want Chaplin's Little Tramp to interact with Martin Riggs, can I do that?

No, they do not need to be alive.  You're selecting the character, not the actor, so your example would be absolutely valid.  If you select the Little Tramp as one of the cops, I think you'll need to justify your pick, but that's up to you.
He's the drug lord, obviously.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(05-11-2020, 06:27 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: He's the drug lord, obviously.

Oh God, I effing love this.