Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel
(11-19-2020, 09:51 PM)Overlord Wrote: **These videos are excellent.  You make your points succinctly, and if you're drawing a conclusion it's one that's either obvious from the movie or you provide specific textual support.  I cannot tell you how fucking sick I am of overwritten, overlong, self-indulgent "analysis" scrivened by folks more interested in their own flights of fancy than they are with providing a foundation for their conclusion.

too many words to say “you’re awesome, ambler!”
(11-19-2020, 10:13 PM)Nooj Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 09:51 PM)Overlord Wrote: **These videos are excellent.  You make your points succinctly, and if you're drawing a conclusion it's one that's either obvious from the movie or you provide specific textual support.  I cannot tell you how fucking sick I am of overwritten, overlong, self-indulgent "analysis" scrivened by folks more interested in their own flights of fancy than they are with providing a foundation for their conclusion.

too many words to say “you’re awesome, ambler!”

[Image: OtvQtM9.gif?noredirect]

scrivened, eh?

very specific word choice!
(11-19-2020, 09:51 PM)Overlord Wrote: Crazy thought as I watch that video:  You know what recent movie gave me that surreal otherworldly feeling that Excalibur is infused with?

Mandy.

How weird of a connection is that?

**These videos are excellent.  You make your points succinctly, and if you're drawing a conclusion it's one that's either obvious from the movie or you provide specific textual support.  I cannot tell you how fucking sick I am of overwritten, overlong, self-indulgent "analysis" scrivened by folks more interested in their own flights of fancy than they are with providing a foundation for their conclusion.

Man, thanks for that.  I'm a fan of brevity, which is becoming a lost art.  I really do try and make longer videos because people seem to like that, but most of the time I say everything that needs to be said in under 10 minutes.  It just feels right and I don't pad the run time.

It sucks because youtube now prioritizes videos over 10 minutes.  This is part of the reason for the bloat explosion.
In 1916 a U.S. court ruling, following the example of company law in Britain, effectively made it illegal for a corporation to be motivated by anything but the maximization of profit.  Corporate social-responsibility, therefore, became illegal. 
Always thought of Excalibur more as a 70s movie than 80s.

The real ending to Big...
(11-20-2020, 10:47 PM)filmnerdjamie Wrote: Always thought of Excalibur more as a 70s movie than 80s.

Well, the writing and pre-production was in 1978-1979 (though it was filmed in early 1980) so it kinda is!

**Ambler, I had no idea about youtube prioritizing bloat.  Goddamn ...

I blame Joe Rogan.
unless he’s being sarcastic, I’m surprised olord wasn’t aware of the YouTube platform/algorithm prioritizing longer runtimes for longer engagements

I could’ve sworn the topic has come up several times on discord

the medium is the message, milord!
(11-20-2020, 11:03 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 10:47 PM)filmnerdjamie Wrote: Always thought of Excalibur more as a 70s movie than 80s.

Well, the writing and pre-production was in 1978-1979 (though it was filmed in early 1980) so it kinda is!

With leftover locations from the Lord Of The Rings film he never got to make.
In 1916 a U.S. court ruling, following the example of company law in Britain, effectively made it illegal for a corporation to be motivated by anything but the maximization of profit.  Corporate social-responsibility, therefore, became illegal. 
(11-21-2020, 09:36 AM)ambler Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 11:03 PM)Overlord Wrote:

With leftover locations from the Lord Of The Rings film he never got to make.

Yep, and test footage shot for the visuals and overall look.

Would kill to see that footage, if it still exists. To pull off the Hobbits, they used small children but dubbed by adults. Knowing Boorman, he probably used his own kids as guinea pigs.

The real ending to Big...
Still can't get over how beautiful his daughter is in Excalibur.
New vid up!  Total Recall was the first R-rated movie I saw in a theater as a kid.  And I snuck out of my church group's showing of Ghost to do so (RIP Patrick Swayze).  A transgressive act for a transgressive movie... and it happens to be the subject of my latest.  Please subscribe if you enjoy my content!

My god, Rob Bottin's FX are missed.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
the 4K UHD is coming out soon!
The late '80s-early '90s truly was a time of wonders for practical FX.
A friend of mine suggested my videos need music so it doesn't sound like I'm giving a lecture... what do you guys think? I kind of like how its silent and just my voice, but I'm open to alternative ways of doing it.
You should just do brooding, ambient Twin Peaks drones.
A light drum riff might be the thing. Nothing too intrusive.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I mean, I like that it’s a lecture

instead of someone forcing affability on me!

If there are moments where music kicking in or slowly fading in helps in the effect, I say go for it.

But just wallpapering music over your soothing voice to make it feel more approachable? Ehhhh
I do kinda get the notion - not so much because there needs to be peppy muzak as because, the way it stands, it's very sonically flat. Your delivery isn't bad, and the recording quality's alright, but there's no ambient noise to fill the space between words/sentences/etc. - not even the basic subliminal cues we get from a normal acoustic environment. That's better than annoying or distracting noise, of course, but it still sounds weird to a human brain conditioned for that stuff.
It might make the videos more palatable to The Masses but I really dig the current music-free style, and I say this as someone who chose to lay a continuous music bed under my own podcast.

Really looking forward to your Ghost episode by the way.
Just loop a sample of Star Trek bridge noises under there.
Haha, you guys never fail to disappoint. I'll throw some light coffee shop hip-fi on the next one and see what happens.
Beatnik bongos.
Zen-garden ambient New Age CDs from the mid-'90s.
Wailing sax!!
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.