Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryan Gosling is the WOLFMAN (Universal)
Universal continues to build their new versions of the Classic Monsters...

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/ryan-...203426491/

The pitch is apparently "NIGHTCRAWLER with a werewolf."

THOROUGHBREDS' and BAD EDUCATION's Cory Finley is being courted to direct from a script from some of the ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK writing staff. 

My initial thoughts:

- I like the Gosling choice.
- I'm not sold on putting the Wolfman in contemporary Los Angeles.  The last time that happened (CURSED), it really didn't go well, and I think so much of the appeal of the classic Wolf Man movies comes from the atmosphere.
- Finley's an interesting option at director.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
If it's anywhere close to as good as Nightcrawler with a werewolf, I'm so so down.

And Gosling seems to have pretty good taste for these things.
Doesn't seem alcoholic or overweight enough for Larry Talbot.
I have no idea how you'd meld NIGHTCRAWLER with a solidly good werewolf story but after how damn good INVISIBLE MAN was, I'm willing to wait and see.

Also not a huge fan of the modern day setting but it seems clear they're aiming for a team-up/crossover movie at some point.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Maybe Gosling's not the Wolfman, but instead a sleazy photojournalist tracking the Wolfman!
I see a lot of people taking the Nightcrawler thing to mean it has a tabloid journalism angle, but what it suggests to me is that it's likely to be a character portrait of a deeply amoral man who's life is built around indulging his inner darkness and and protecting himself for the consequences, which sounds like an excellent take on the werewolf to me.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Or it could be that plus my idea!
(05-30-2020, 12:49 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: I see a lot of people taking the Nightcrawler thing to mean it has a tabloid journalism angle, but what it suggests to me is that it's likely to be a character portrait of a deeply amoral man who's life is built around indulging his inner darkness and and protecting himself for the consequences, which sounds like an excellent take on the werewolf to me.

Perhaps an excellent take on the werewolf, but perhaps not an excellent take on the Wolf Man, specifically.  Larry Talbot's a pretty tragic, semi-heroic figure in the old films, and it would be a shame to discard the potential with that character in favor of a totally new character, disconnected from that legacy.

They could get away with that for the Invisible Man because every one of those old Invisible Man movies featured a new title character (it wasn't an ongoing journey with one guy, like Talbot), and Whannell certainly honored enough of the "increasingly maniacal" element that was so fundamental to the first Invisible Man iteration.

(05-30-2020, 12:45 PM)bradito Wrote: Maybe Gosling's not the Wolfman, but instead a sleazy photojournalist tracking the Wolfman!

That's a take that would interest me much more.
Yeah, I'd be curious to see which way this ends up falling on the "affable dope caught in a twisted tragedy not of his own making" vs. "guy who already had this churning inside him until it happened to be unleashed" spectrum.

Honestly, I'd be more interested for once to see a werewolf movie less rooted in medieval agrarian paranoia views of wolves as mindless bloodthirsty killers and more, I dunno, something more about the protagonist losing his ability to keep up the layers of bullshit and pretense required to function in modern human civilization, but that'd be so completely different from what anybody expects out of a wolfman movie that probably everyone would hate it.
There are plenty of interesting angles to be explored with a werewolf story.

I just think Universal's intention should be to honor certain fundamental aspects of the classic characters, still in the process of modernizing things. Because if you need to change so much of what's inherent to those characters... why are you using those characters?
True enough.
Because of brand identification?

Here’s my pitch for the werewolf movie: turns into a wolf every full moon, but for the two days leading up to it and the two days following it, he’s the biggest asshole version of himself, all aggressive masculinity and self-destructive rage.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Brilliant.
So with Invisible Man doing well, does this get an R rating?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Quote:- I'm not sold on putting the Wolfman in contemporary Los Angeles.  The last time that happened (CURSED), it really didn't go well, and I think so much of the appeal of the classic Wolf Man movies comes from the atmosphere.

It is several decades old now but I think certain scenes from The Howling prove that werewolves and Los Angeles can complement each other quite well (and given that film doesn't shy away from showing LA's sleazy underbelly, plus the local TV news angle, I can easily imagine a Lou Bloom type using the crimes of Eddie Quist to boost his career).

Maybe it will be like a horror version of Peter Parker/Spider-Man, where he is secretly the Wolf Man but also the photographer who sells the gory crime scene photos to news outlets
Quote:- I'm not sold on putting the Wolfman in contemporary Los Angeles.  The last time that happened (CURSED), it really didn't go well, and I think so much of the appeal of the classic Wolf Man movies comes from the atmosphere.

At the very least, this version probably won't feature The Craig Kilborn Show.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
What's great is that I saw "Cursed" last October during the horror movie challenge, and it's completely evaporated from my memory.
When I think Wolfman in modern times my mind usually jumps to American Werewolf in London or Wolf before Cursed.

This being in California, I wonder if it'll play around with how the 2010 remake made him an actor.

(05-30-2020, 12:04 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Doesn't seem alcoholic or overweight enough for Larry Talbot.

Maybe he'll get fat for it like Lovely Bones.
Forget this, gimme a “Nice Guys” sequel instead.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Only if Crowe returns as Mr Hyde next to Gosling's Wolf-Man
I like Gosling, but even though I remember the movie itself being just OK, for me it's going to be hard to beat Benicio Del Toro casting-wise. Considering the propensity for these "Universes" to try and salvage characters out of mediocre flicks, I kind of wish they'd just brought him back for modern adventures.
I'll got to bat for that version of THE WOLFMAN any time. I think it gets a lot more right than it gets wrong.
The CGI just ruins the Wolfman for me. Knowing that they did that to Baker, I can't forgive the film.
I actually saw it in theaters, so the memory is definitely fuzzy. I've got it waiting for a re-watch, maybe for this year's October Movie Marathon.
(05-30-2020, 11:29 PM)bradito Wrote: The CGI just ruins the Wolfman for me. Knowing that they did that to Baker, I can't forgive the film.

I hear you, but a lot of his work also went un-messed-with, too. His wolfman design is about as perfect an update of Jack Pierce's classic look as you could ever get.

And he won an Oscar for it, so I'm sure he sleeps okay at night.

(05-30-2020, 11:36 PM)splatoon Wrote: I've got it waiting for a re-watch, maybe for this year's October Movie Marathon.

Put it on your list!
(05-30-2020, 11:09 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I'll got to bat for that version of THE WOLFMAN any time. I think it gets a lot more right than it gets wrong.

It's delightfully violent. It helped me overcome my mental block of finding the "wolfman" look too cheesy compared to the traditional werewolf.

He's basically the Wolfman Hulk in that movie. Delightful!!!
The carnage is wonderful.
Let us indulge!

(05-30-2020, 11:09 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I'll got to bat for that version of THE WOLFMAN any time. I think it gets a lot more right than it gets wrong.

You and me! It also has Anthony Hopkins hamming it up, the opening in the gypsy camp and the asylum breakout sequence to make it worthwhile.
The asylum scene might be my second favorite little piece of werewolf fiction that isn't AAWiL. I swear it's unique in it's 'proving the danger in a room full of people' transformation, but I bet there's a prison or military base scene in a lesser werewolf flick the I'm unaware of like Metalbeast or some shit.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
Sigh. While Johnston get the tone right, and everyone involved was fully committed, THE WOLFMAN just isn't good, guys. (And it doesn't matter which version you watch.)

I grew up watching the classic Universal versions, and loved Pierce's makeup at the time. But Baker's work in the 2010 film just looks silly. It's not scary or fierce, and because he's wearing clothes all the time with obvious padding, the wolfman looks like a particularly hirsute linebacker, not a terrifying monster. (Also note I worshiped Baker as a kid and young adult, and he's still my favorite special effects makeup artist, even over Stan Winston.)

And the fight between dad wolf and son wolf is fucking terrible.

A movie in which the production design, supporting details, and tone are great but the story, characters, and effects (digital and practical) fall far short.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

(05-31-2020, 02:23 AM)ravi Wrote:
(05-30-2020, 11:09 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I'll got to bat for that version of THE WOLFMAN any time.  I think it gets a lot more right than it gets wrong.

You and me! It also has Anthony Hopkins hamming it up, the opening in the gypsy camp and the asylum breakout sequence to make it worthwhile.

I think Hopkins is one of the greatest actors who ever lived (still the best Lecter!), but someone in the original CHUD thread pointed out how much he resembles David the gnome here and it is all I can think about when I watch his scenes.
Let's cut to the chase, will there be a Butthole Cut or not
(05-31-2020, 08:23 AM)MichaelM Wrote: I grew up watching the classic Universal versions, and loved Pierce's makeup at the time. But Baker's work in the 2010 film just looks silly. It's not scary or fierce, and because he's wearing clothes all the time with obvious padding, the wolfman looks like a particularly hirsute linebacker, not a terrifying monster. (Also note I worshiped Baker as a kid and young adult, and he's still my favorite special effects makeup artist, even over Stan Winston.)

I disagree about Baker's design. If you want to truly update the original WOLF MAN, I think you are kind of required to do something equal parts "wolf" and "man."
I prefer the designs Bottin used in The Howling - humanoid/upright in terms of body, but far more lupine in terms of head/face/

If you're going to stick with a more humanoid face, I think this mask is actually scarier/superior to the design in the 2010 film:

[Image: ptDtgDUvyn2Q1LEIh5wJ8xXqSWCMdeQ4gEIO8g4h...BW4ziS2UlN]