Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RTJ4
To be honest I was not really familiar with them before a few years ago.  I bought the DJ Shadow album that had the track a lot of entertainment/previews used.  

I've been listening to this new album on YouTube, have not purchased or downloaded for "free" but it's very good.

The main thing I want to say is that the production seems to have an interesting dank keyboardy sound that incorporates dissonance, and some John Carpenter influence.  Meaning it's great.

I'm a big fan... I think RTJ2 might be my favorite overall, but this new one is great too. They even released it early on my birthday, which I'm sure they did specifically for me!
(06-11-2020, 01:34 AM)Rylander Wrote: The main thing I want to say is that the production seems to have an interesting dank keyboardy sound that incorporates dissonance, and some John Carpenter influence.  Meaning it's great.

Chances are pretty good you'll find that you are exactly spot on.  El-P has often referenced John Carpenter, Vangelis, numerous metal bands and damn near all points in between as influences during particular writing and recording sessions.  So don't be surprised if he was jamming to the Escape From NY soundtrack at some stage.

For me, the album is fantastic, which we all knew was going to be the case.  But RTJ3 still reigns supreme for me.  RTJ2, as excellent as it is, is the raw, uncompromising sound of a duo with something to prove.  But RTJ3 is the ridiculously polished, nuanced sound of a duo that doesn't have to prove shit to anybody.  RTJ3 starts and just doesn't let up until the final bell - it's one of the most relentless albums I've ever heard.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
RTJ3 is great..."Panther Like a Panther" is one of my favorite of theirs.

I think I might like 4 even more, but I was desperate for some new music as well. I have a feeling I'll be listening to all 4 of these today.
Oooh, thanks for the heads up. I had no idea this even came out.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
(06-11-2020, 01:34 AM)Rylander Wrote: The main thing I want to say is that the production seems to have an interesting dank keyboardy sound that incorporates dissonance, and some John Carpenter influence.  Meaning it's great.

I've been a fan of El-P for almost 20 years.  His first album, Fantastic Damage, is probably one of my top 5 albums of all time(definitely my favorite album cover of all time).  It took me like 10 listens before I could even process it all.  It's much more lyrically/sonically dense than RTJ, which may be a turn off for some.  He reference tons of sci-fi movies/novels/nerdy stuff (he is a huge Philip K Dick fan), like Star Wars, Phil Hartman(Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer), Back to the Future, 1984, etc and has a whole song about his fucked up version of Disney Land (Dead Disnee).

This is probably my favorite track on the album, and, yes, it ends with an extended riff on the "Great Scott!" quote from BTTF, and it works perfectly.

El-P ft. Aesop Rock & Ill Bill - Delorean

If you dig this, I highly recommend checking out his old label, Definitive Jux.  While there are a few clunkers, almost every album they released is top quality underground rap.  Aesop Rock, Mr. Lif, RJD2, Cannibal Ox, Cage and tons of other interesting stuff.

Their "Definitive Jux Presents" series is a great starting point for checking out what the label has (had) to offer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definitive...iscography
OOH LA LA OUI OUI OUI!

Seriously, every new RTJ has been a delight for me the last few years.
Still enjoying RTJ4... good stuff.

Just wanted to chime in about Killer Mike's earlier stuff. I love his verse on Outkast's "Return of the G" (although Andre SMOKES that one), and I enjoyed his single "Ric Flair"

Still, El-P's production mixed with him is his best. The "chocolate meets peanut butter" of rap. So good.
Random question. 

Is it just me, or is it glaringly obvious that the design for the Run the Jewels album covers, and their logo, especially the first two albums, are basically a rip off of the disembodied hands from the House series posters? 

I feel like, while the House movies themselves are not talked about that much (I have a soft spot for them), the poster art is something that most horror fans recognize, and, as a result, seems to be the most obvious influence in regards to the origin of the RTJ design.  

Thoughts?

Attached Files Image(s)

Anybody else watch the Adult Swim special? It really hit the spot.