Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THE QT QUESTION: Talkin' Tarantino
LINK

Hey all, Schwartz and myself are trying our hands at some light podcasting, and our first entry is now available on the main page. We'll be going through the Tarantino filmography, and this first episode is on Reservoir Dogs.

We're still getting our feet under us here, but I really enjoyed having this conversation, so hopefully that translates to you as well! In any case, you can hear our voices.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
So that's what you guys sound like...my mind is blown!

I have to step away for a job interview but I'll definitely finish this up later.
I detest hearing my own voice. But what the world needs now is Tarantino hot takes, god damn it.
(07-14-2020, 01:01 PM)schwartz Wrote: I detest hearing my own voice.  But what the world needs now is Tarantino hot takes, god damn it.

I feel the same way on my voice.  My inner acoustics make me sound completely different from how I sound to everyone else.  I was involved with a couple of James Bond film podcasts recently and had to get used to listening to 'me.'

I listened to the first few minutes of this and it sounds promising!  I can't listen to it all right now but I'll do so in the future.

And for the record, you two sound just fine.
We'll get more smooth with stuff as time goes on, I'm sure. Especially if you guys can keep us motivated with any little like/share/comment bones you can throw our way.
My comment is that this is great and I love it. Can’t wait to hear more and I’m excited for others to finally listen.
I AM rather disappointed that Arjen doesn't have a South African accent, though. Even though I know he's not from there, I always tend to 'listen' to his posts with that accent.
(07-14-2020, 01:11 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I AM rather disappointed that Arjen doesn't have a South African accent, though.  Even though I know he's not from there, I always tend to 'listen' to his posts with that accent.

I tried to mask my disappointment with this as well as I could.  But I think John knew.

My nerdery also compels me to immediately apologize that we talk about Zed being a cop in this podcast, whereas a rewatch of PULP FICTION this week showed him to be quite clearly established as a security guard.
I have to admit, I’ve lately been pondering the wisdom of my handle here. It’s not necessary that everyone be reminded of apartheid when I’ve got a thought about an Indiana Jones movie. But I can’t well change now.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(07-14-2020, 01:59 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: I have to admit, I’ve lately been pondering the wisdom of my handle here. It’s not necessary that everyone be reminded of apartheid when I’ve got a thought about an Indiana Jones movie. But I can’t well change now.

You're well regarded/liked around here.  You've got absolutely nothing to worry about.
Can't speak for everyone but I simply read your handle, arjen, as an homage to a movie you love, not some kind of blanket approval of a real world racist policy.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I DO miss the 'at home, washing his tights' line under your avatar, though.
Greatly enjoyed this guys, and will share with my very small circle of friends.

The Pink/Costanza comparison never occurred to me, and I don't think I'll be able to watch this again without thinking of it.

"Tarantino's Mr. Brown because he's a shitty actor." Hahaha!

Regarding great post-1980 Keitel performances, I lean BAD LIEUTENANT, although I haven't seen it in ages.
(07-14-2020, 01:59 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: I have to admit, I’ve lately been pondering the wisdom of my handle here. It’s not necessary that everyone be reminded of apartheid when I’ve got a thought about an Indiana Jones movie. But I can’t well change now.

This mirrors my dilemna about doing "avatar blackface" in 2020.  But I picked it in 2003, and Geordi is a part of me now.

(07-14-2020, 02:16 PM)Mangy Wrote: Greatly enjoyed this guys, and will share with my very small circle of friends.

The Pink/Costanza comparison never occurred to me, and I don't think I'll be able to watch this again without thinking of it.

"Tarantino's Mr. Brown because he's a shitty actor." Hahaha!

Regarding great post-1980 Keitel performances, I lean BAD LIEUTENANT, although I haven't seen it in ages.

I was definitely lumping in BAD LIEUTENANT with the 70s output, without giving it any thought. It actually came out after RESERVOIR!

I could definitely see Jason Alexander ranting about acting "like a fucking professional!". I can also see Buscemi ranting about latex with his pants around his ankles.
(07-14-2020, 02:06 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Can't speak for everyone but I simply read your handle, arjen, as an homage to a movie you love, not some kind of blanket approval of a real world racist policy.

I mean, of course. It’s not a real problem.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I had a great, fun convo with Schwartz about Tarantino last year. I'll look forward to checking this out.
home taping is killing music
(07-14-2020, 06:31 PM)boone daniels Wrote: I had a great, fun convo with Schwartz about Tarantino last year. I'll look forward to checking this out.

That was certainly the start of this whole thing, and a lot of that will be in here. Probably more later, though, since we were focused on his more recent work then.
(07-14-2020, 01:11 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I AM rather disappointed that Arjen doesn't have a South African accent, though.  Even though I know he's not from there, I always tend to 'listen' to his posts with that accent.

I always imagine Willem Dafoe, obviously.

The real ending to Big...
Part 1 of the Pulp Fiction conversation is now live on the site!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Looking forward to this. I just rewatched this a week ago and fell in love with it all over again.
Oh hell yeah
(07-15-2020, 06:29 AM)filmnerdjamie Wrote:

Same here. Schwartz sounds exactly like Schwartz.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
(07-27-2020, 03:18 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 06:29 AM)filmnerdjamie Wrote:

Same here. Schwartz sounds exactly like Schwartz.

I don’t know whether to be pissed or fucking pissed at this assessment.
I rewatched this last month!

HOORAY! Good timing!
Good stuff, guys. I welcome any and all Battlefield Earth tangents.

I saw PF so many times that I'm downright numb to it at this point, but the discussion was really interesting. It is pretty amazing how much pop culture still swims in its wake.
I enjoyed your hot takes as well. I think it's fitting that a movie about nothing has a Costanza-like character, who is from the original show about nothing.
(07-27-2020, 09:54 PM)Hot Sandwich Wrote: I enjoyed your hot takes as well.  I think it's fitting that a movie about nothing has a Costanza-like character, who is from the original show about nothing.

(scribbles in notebook)

“Hot Sandwich...likes...hot takes...”

(nods to self)

Stayed tuned for part two, when certain culinary revelations rock me to my very core.
Pulp Fiction part 2

The long-awaited conclusion
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I don't mind Fabienne too much...at the very least, she somewhat grew on me over time. However, Esmeralda asking what it's like to KEEEL a man has always irritated me.

PF has always been my wife's least favorite Tarantino movie. She detests it. Yet, she loves the rest of QT's work. I still can't figure that out.

Agree that this movie's runtime flies by. I disagree though about Once Upon, which breezes by for me. Contrast with HATEFUL EIGHT which, while I like it, feels approximately four days long.
(08-03-2020, 01:39 PM)Mangy Wrote: PF has always been my wife's least favorite Tarantino movie. She detests it. Yet, she loves the rest of QT's work. I still can't figure that out.

That is truly curious.  She even likes RESERVOIR DOGS?
She likes it more than PULP...her least favorite

RESERVOIR
DEATH PROOF
PULP FICTION

In that order.

She actually worked at a theater when PULP came out. For whatever reason, it rubbed her the wrong way, and seeing it over and over only made it worse. It's strange!
My wife doesn't dislike PF, but she has a hard time watching the first act due to the drug stuff. She has a hard time with that, no matter what the movie is that she's watching.

She hasn't seen all of the QT movies, but of the ones that she's seen, the only one she didn't care for was HATEFUL EIGHT, and that was mainly because it was a death march of a movie.
What is it about the drug stuff? I feel like for some people it's about the drugs themselves and for some it's more just hating anything to do with needles.
the question is whether she can stomach actors pretending to snort coke!
(08-03-2020, 03:57 PM)schwartz Wrote: What is it about the drug stuff?  I feel like for some people it's about the drugs themselves and for some it's more just hating anything to do with needles.

I personally hate needles, so I always turn away at injection scenes.  I can handle the adrenaline shot to the heart but not the other stuff.
For my wife, it's just drugs in general.  It doesn't matter what, she hates it when a movie leans heavily into drugs or drug culture.  It's just something that she can't handle, and I respect that.