Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THE QT QUESTION: Talkin' Tarantino
Well, we mention it at the very end, but PF is certainly unique in how it handles Heroin Comedy. It pretty much has that shelf at the video store all to itself.
(08-03-2020, 04:25 PM)schwartz Wrote: Well, we mention it at the very end, but PF is certainly unique in how it handles Heroin Comedy. It pretty much has that shelf at the video store all to itself.
I think you alluded to this on the podcast, and I'm also kinda stunned by how well Travolta can drive and function after shooting up with some high-octane smack.

Looking back on it, my main takeaway is that Tarantino knew WAYYYYY more about cocaine than heroin. He is absolutely a coke guy.
I'm not enough of a heroin guy to know what's realistic, but I have a vague idea that there are quite a few users of even the highest octane opioids that are more or less functional most of the time, even while high.
Another QT flourish I always liked was 'the situation' monologue scene ( . . . no relation). It always came off to me very deliberately as an acting or improv coach setting up a scene. "What you don't understand, you see, the situation you are in . . . is you owe or crossed some bad people, there are guns in everybody's hands, the odds are completely against you, and you're a motherfucking tree . . . Go!

I lost track with Kill Bill, so I'm not sure if he stopped doing that scene.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
(08-05-2020, 07:39 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: Another QT flourish I always liked was 'the situation' monologue scene ( . . . no relation). It always came off to me very deliberately as an acting or improv coach setting up a scene. "What you don't understand, you see, the situation you are in . . . is you owe or crossed some bad people, there are guns in everybody's hands, the odds are completely against you, and you're a motherfucking tree . . . Go!

I lost track with Kill Bill, so I'm not sure if he stopped doing that scene.

He's certainly still doing it up to HATEFUL EIGHT, which had that big trailer moment of Sam Jackson shouting "Let's slow it down!  Let's slow it WAY the **** down..."

The way you are framing it sort of combines two threads we've started to track through his work, which is how he loves to write interrogation scenes that have this layer of pretense over them that makes it into a poker game, and then how his whole fascination with the craft of acting/directing plays into that.  We recorded for TRUE ROMANCE yesterday, and that movie has multiple famous scenes that do it directly, between Walken talking about the "pantomimes" (i.e. poker tells) and Drexel going into his schpiel about "we're about to negotiate, and you've already given up everything, while I'm still a mystery to you."  

Incidentally, those are some of the best scenes in the movie.  I feel like there is an implicit thing that happens when we pick up these patterns in someone's works where once identified, we start to regard them as tics or crutches or something. But in this case I think it is a real strength of his that he can create these very complex, fraught situations, and articulate them directly within the scene in a way that is both entirely clear and quite organic to the type of characters he creates.
He also does that during that terrific scene where Travolta is in the bathroom talking to himself while Mia ODs... "Go home, jerk off, and that's all you're gonna do!"
I mean, there is a title card that identifies the final chapter as THE BONNIE SITUATION.

Travolta spends a lot of time in bathrooms in PULP, doesn't he?
And now, True Romance!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Talk about Tarantino's performance in STEVEN SPIELBERG'S DIRECTOR'S CHAIR!!

ripped from the old CD-ROM game and reformatted to be played like a Telltale Adventure game on your web browser:

https://molleindustria.org/directorschoices/
I started that just last night and played for two minutes before I had to go....I got to the choice of Manic Tarantino and Calm Tarantino and thought "there's a Calm Tarantino!???"

Listening now...I hear what you mean about the echo, but it's not too bad.

I definitely side with arjen on TRUE ROMANCE and it pertaining to the "surface-level or not" question of the podcast premise...It's maybe QT's most surface-level creation for me, a sleek machine sprung fully formed from the brain of a young video store dork. By the same token, I've seen the thing at least 5 times!
I read that far too quickly and thought you'd invented a new dish called CLAM TARANTINO.
Clam Tarantino sounds delicious.

Sidenote re: Tarantino's Elvis (specifically, early-era Elvis) obsession: he was an extra on a Golden Girls ep as an Elvis impersonator. He was the only one to play earlier Elvis and not Vegas-era Elvis. 

(08-12-2020, 02:39 PM)Mangy Wrote: I started that just last night and played for two minutes before I had to go....I got to the choice of Manic Tarantino and Calm Tarantino and thought "there's a  Calm Tarantino!???"

Listening now...I hear what you mean about the echo, but it's not too bad.

I definitely side with arjen on TRUE ROMANCE and it pertaining to the "surface-level or not" question of the podcast premise...It's maybe QT's most surface-level creation for me, a sleek machine sprung fully formed from the brain of a young video store dork. By the same token, I've seen the thing at least 5 times!

I think we're getting our premise jumbled up already, because I was supposed to be the one saying that QT is all style and no substance.   But we couldn't really find a point of disagreement on that when it comes to TRUE ROMANCE, because we were in general agreement that it is all flash and no point, but it's pretty awesome anyway.  The biggest point of contention for us was how fully formed Alabama was as a character.  

Clams Tarantino does sound both delicious, and like a character from the shady underworld of SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS.
I think my fave scene is also the Walken/Hopper one, although when Gandolfini is on screen, I remember thinking "Whoa, who's THAT?"

Walken was in that early 90's zone, with this, KING OF NEW YORK and a couple of others, where he was capable of playing the devil incarnate. He's riveting in this one.

I think Alabama's a pretty great character, not as MPDG as it seems, outside of her love for Sonny Chiba, which is definitely a case of QT's fetishism going a bit too far.

I've already blanked, but did this pod even mention Stoner Brad Pitt?

I also lean towards HEATHERS as my fave Christian Slater performance, even if it's pretty much a Jack Nicholson impression.

Finally, I looooove JACKIE BROWN, and may have to rewatch it again before the next episode. Good job, guys.
Did QT write Killing Zoe? Ert, no . . . that was Avery.
My QT Roundup (As Writer and/or Director):
Top Shelf:  RESERVOIR DOGS, TRUE ROMANCE, PULP FICTION, THE MAN FROM HOLLYWOOD (segment from FOUR ROOMS),
JACKIE BROWN, KILL BILL (both), DEATH PROOF, THE HATEFUL EIGHT, ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD
Just One Shelf Down: NATURAL BORN KILLERS, FROM DUSK TILL DAWN
Decent: INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, DJANGO UNCHAINED
Don't Like or Bad:  Nothing yet.
(08-12-2020, 03:56 PM)Mangy Wrote: I think Alabama's a pretty great character, not as MPDG as it seems, outside of her love for Sonny Chiba, which is definitely a case of QT's fetishism going a bit too far.

I've already blanked, but did this pod even mention Stoner Brad Pitt?

I called out Floyd as a national treasure at some point.  "And some...cleaning products..." is one of the lines of the decade.

I also don't entirely buy her love for kung fu movies as genuine, but I do buy Alabama as the type prone to adopting their new boyfriend's hobbies wholesale.  There is quite a bit of overlap between that type and "gets matching tattoos and married one day into the relationship" sorts, imo.
Has there ever been any corroboration on the theory that Floyd is Cliff Booth's son? 'Cause despite the silliness, I kind of like that theory.
(08-12-2020, 05:40 PM)engineer Wrote: Has there ever been any corroboration on the theory that Floyd is Cliff Booth's son?  'Cause despite the silliness, I kind of like that theory.

Hahahaha, sure, why not?
(08-12-2020, 05:08 PM)engineer Wrote: My QT Roundup (As Writer and/or Director):
Top Shelf:  RESERVOIR DOGS, TRUE ROMANCE, PULP FICTION, THE MAN FROM HOLLYWOOD (segment from FOUR ROOMS),
JACKIE BROWN, KILL BILL (both), DEATH PROOF, THE HATEFUL EIGHT, ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD
Just One Shelf Down: NATURAL BORN KILLERS, FROM DUSK TILL DAWN
Decent: INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, DJANGO UNCHAINED
Don't Like or Bad:  Nothing yet.

Circling back to this:  DEATH PROOF is "Top Shelf" and BASTERDS is below NATURAL BORN KILLERS???  

DAFUQ.
(08-13-2020, 10:30 AM)schwartz Wrote: Circling back to this:  DEATH PROOF is "Top Shelf" and BASTERDS is below NATURAL BORN KILLERS???  

DAFUQ.

[Image: James-Donald-Madness-Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.gif]
We haven't been doing personal rankings with the podcast thing, but right now I'd go:

1. INGLORIOUS BASTERDS
2. JACKIE BROWN
3. KILL BILL 2
4. TRUE ROMANCE
5. KILL BILL 1
6. PULP FICTION
7. ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD
8. RESERVOIR DOGS
9. HATEFUL EIGHT
10. DJANGO UNCHAINED
11. FROM DUSK TIL DAWN
11. DEATH PROOF

Haven't seen NBK all the way through, but what I saw I remember really hating!
(08-13-2020, 10:45 AM)schwartz Wrote: We haven't been doing personal rankings with the podcast thing, but right now I'd go:

1.  INGLORIOUS BASTERDS
2.  JACKIE BROWN
3.  KILL BILL 2
4.  TRUE ROMANCE
5.  KILL BILL 1
6.  PULP FICTION
7.  ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD
8.  RESERVOIR DOGS
9.  HATEFUL EIGHT
10.  DJANGO UNCHAINED
11. FROM DUSK TIL DAWN
11.  DEATH PROOF

Haven't seen NBK all the way through, but what I saw I remember really hating!

Oh why not:

1. INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
2. PULP FICTION
3. JACKIE BROWN
4. ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD
5. KILL BILL 1
6. KILL BILL 2
7. RESERVOIR DOGS
8. HATEFUL EIGHT
9. TRUE ROMANCE
10. DJANGO UNCHAINED
11. NATURAL BORN KILLERS
12. DEATH PROOF
13. FROM DUSK TIL DAWN

And FOUR ROOMS never happened. NEVER. HAPPENED.
Only ranking the movies he directed:

1. ONCE UPON A TIME... IN HOLLYWOOD
2. INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
3. JACKIE BROWN
4. DJANGO UNCHAINED
5. PULP FICTION
6. THE HATEFUL EIGHT
7. DEATH PROOF
8. RESERVOIR DOGS
9. KILL BILL VOL. 2
10. KILL BILL VOL. 1
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I really hope the penny drops when I revisit OUATIH so I can love it as much as the most of you.
I thought the Sharon Tate moments were poignant but a little thin during my first couple of viewings, but for whatever reason, those sections have only improved for me each time I've watched it.
(08-13-2020, 10:30 AM)schwartz Wrote: Circling back to this:  DEATH PROOF is "Top Shelf" and BASTERDS is below NATURAL BORN KILLERS???  

DAFUQ.

Here's why...

BASTERDS, for me, is not that great.  Waltz is outstanding.  Otherwise, I find it dull and Brad Pitt's Foghorn Leghorn performance is maybe my least favortite I've ever seen him give.  Clooney can pull that sort of thing off, but not Pitt.

NATURAL BORN KILLERS was great for me at the time, but it doesn't hold up so well for me 25 years later, especially the second half at Batongaville.

DEATH PROOF, though, has Kurt, Rosario, Tracie, Zoe, Rose, Vanessa, Sydney, The Texas Chili Parlor, those excellent cars and those beautiful practical stunts.  I care about the characters in a way I don't with the other two above, and for me the whole thing is fast-moving excellence.  I even like the dialogue, which many, it seems, have trouble with.  The film's slight, but it's gleeful, it's a great throwback and it has that wonderful Rosario stomp right at the end.  What's not to like?
(08-13-2020, 01:28 PM)engineer Wrote:

DAFUQ.

Here's why...

BASTERDS, for me, is not that great.  Waltz is outstanding.  Otherwise, I find it dull and Brad Pitt's Foghorn Leghorn performance is maybe my least favortite I've ever seen him give.  Clooney can pull that sort of thing off, but not Pitt.

NATURAL BORN KILLERS was great for me at the time, but it doesn't hold up so well for me 25 years later, especially the second half at Batongaville.

DEATH PROOF, though, has Kurt, Rosario, Tracie, Zoe, Rose, Vanessa, Sydney, The Texas Chili Parlor, those excellent cars and those beautiful practical stunts.  I care about the characters in a way I don't with the other two above, and for me the whole thing is fast-moving excellence.  I even like the dialogue, which many, it seems, have trouble with.  The film's slight, but it's gleeful, it's a great throwback and it has that wonderful Rosario stomp right at the end.  What's not to like?

Okay, two major things:

1) The basement sequence in BASTERDS.  

2) DEATH PROOF is "fast moving?"
(08-13-2020, 02:16 PM)schwartz Wrote: Okay, two major things:

1) The basement sequence in BASTERDS.  

2) DEATH PROOF is "fast moving?"

1. What happened?  I must've slept through it.

2. Even the 113 minute cut feels like 85 minutes to me.
It's one of those movies where I'm happy to spend time with these people just hanging out.
Different strokes and all, but "fun hang out movie" and "fast moving" are rather contradictory as far as plaudits go.
As you say, different strokes.
I'd love a later digression into NBK and Tarantino's opinions on it (he hated it, didn't he?).
Quote:1. What happened?  I must've slept through it.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Yeah, basement scene in Basterds is pretty much my choice for best scene in a Tarantino film.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN