Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THE QT QUESTION: Talkin' Tarantino
(11-21-2020, 05:08 AM)Bucho Wrote: I've only seen it once, but the main takeaway I remember from Hateful Eight is that it's the Tarantino movie where it felt most like some of his actors were playing their characters rather than being them. Russell was the least convincing, but Roth and Madsen weren't much better. Dern, Goggins and Bichir were all aces, and SLJ was solid, so it was still mostly a good time, but one of the lesser QT good times for sure.
Isn’t that the point of Roth and Madsen’s characters?
I hate to say it, but it does feel on occasion that Russell is really leaning hard on the "I'm so sooo gruff!!" button. I also feel like the giant bear fur is doing some work trying to make him look more physically imposing than Russell's physique looked in relation to the others. I wonder how it would play if it was an actor with some actual bulk to throw around that room. A Ron Perlman, or D'Onofrio?

Or, hear me out...Brendan Fraser.
I love Russel in it, but part of me can’t help thinking that John Ruth really should have been the one that Tarantino finally got Costner for.
I should've also mentioned I loved JJL in this too, but the male chauvinist pig in me left her out of that other post I guess.

As for Kurt, I remember thinking throughout the film "Weird ... somehow this guy just feels like Kurt Russell playing dress-up" and I've never before had that feeling while watching a Kurt Russell fillum. The other 14 dozen times he's played a badass - including when QT wrote and directed him in Death Proof - I've bought him 100%.

(11-21-2020, 09:28 AM)atomtastic Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 05:08 AM)Bucho Wrote: I've only seen it once, but the main takeaway I remember from Hateful Eight is that it's the Tarantino movie where it felt most like some of his actors were playing their characters rather than being them. Russell was the least convincing, but Roth and Madsen weren't much better. Dern, Goggins and Bichir were all aces, and SLJ was solid, so it was still mostly a good time, but one of the lesser QT good times for sure.

Isn’t that the point of Roth and Madsen’s characters?

For me it's a problem with Roth in particular because even once his cover is blown he's still no good as Hicox. I figured it'd be a long time before I heard a less convincing attempt at cockney than my boy Karl Urban's but, for the first and only time in my entire life, I was wrong. 

As for Madsen, I probably should give him another look to be fair because as much as I enjoy Madsen in general his work in this was so overshadowed by the others I don't even remember any shift in the performance between Gage and Douglass.
I don't think Stuntman Mike is supposed to be a badass. Especially in the last stretch, he's very much the opposite.
He’s a classic bully. Badass until he gets even the slightest bit of resistance.
That's exactly it, and Kurt's completely convincing throughout that whole arc. I'm not much of a Death Proof defender, but one of the aspects I really dug was how Kurt brought Stuntman Mike to life.

Molt was aces in the guest chair by the way. I know that doesn't need to be said, but I'm saying it anyway.
I did enjoy the discussion of The Hateful Eight as an analogy for race relations in America. When I left the theater I was on a natural high. Its was the final scene of Mannix giving Warren credit for the use of the line, Ole Mary Todd. However, after the last four years, I don't feel good about race relations in America. It seems the best we can do is keep the racists in check.

On a lighter note, I did watch Inglourious Basterds recently and Waltz does a little thing that impresses me. Its the hand gestures he uses when he starts speaking Italian. As someone who is of Italian descent, it looked very natural. Its also a good contrast to Donny, who looks and sounds like he is doing a bad Chico Marx impression.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Counterpoint: he does a gloriously bad Chico impression.
I would give my first born child to live in the universe where Adam Sandler plays Donnie instead of Eli Roth.
As much as I wanted Adam Sandler to play Donnie, I also really love that the Bear Jews that beats in heads with a baseball bat and loves just hearing Aldo the Apache talk about scalping Nazis is the director of Hostel one and two. If he sucked it'd be one thing, but I like him in the role.

It would have definitely been nice to see Sandler in that role given some of the unhinged characters he played.
I kinda do think he sucks in the role, though...
It's not as good as some deepfakes, but it's kind of amusing.

I think I mentioned this in the podcast, but I’ve always thought that if you want a comedian for that role, I might have gone with Seth Rogan, in that he greatly resembles a Jewish bear.

But Sandler’s obvious NY rage probably would have been the way to go.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Anyone who doubts that Rogen could have brought the necessary rage needs to watch Observe and Report.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Rogen definitely could have pulled it off, but Sandler opted to do Funny People instead of Basterds, I can’t imagine Rogen’s gonna go to Tarantino over Apatow either.
I think Rogen might have, as I don't see Apatow blaming any of his geek friends for taking the shot to work with Tarantino (although I guess Sam Levine hasn't shown up in the Apatowverse since then). The issue is that QT didn't ask him.

You know what might actually have been able to work? Jack Black.
Stiller would have been a shoe in. He’s already in shape for it.

Too bad Shia would have probably been too young. It’s perfect role for current day Shia.
Donnie could really be anywhere from like 22 to 38, imo.
I can't picture 2008 Shia being Donnie. Just look at pictures of him from Transformers 2. He's also tiny, you're talking about a much smaller Bear Jew than what's in the actual movie. Stiller is a little guy too. The Bear Jew probably shouldn't be smaller than the Basterd called The Little Man.