Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The MOVIE THAT I JUST WATCHED Thread
THE RHYTHM SECTION is the worst mainstream movie that I’ve seen in years.
I mean, I've seen plenty of worse movies this year alone.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Watched Dark City for the first time in like fifteen years. What a cool movie.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Jennifer Connelly singing Sway. So radiant.

(11-15-2020, 02:27 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: I mean, I've seen plenty of worse movies this year alone.

Like?
(11-15-2020, 06:20 AM)Felix Wrote: Like?

Just off the top of my head:

THE TURNING
HORSE GIRL
FORCE OF NATURE
THE LODGE
HUMAN CAPITAL
WE SUMMON THE DARKNESS
THE RENTAL
CAPONE
THE NIGHT CLERK
ARTEMIS FOWL
Some of y'all watch a lot of movies that look uninspiring.

Rituals. A 1976 pre (obviously) Halloween slasher. It's sort of an ultra bizarre Canadian Deliverance starring Hal Holbrook. Very strange movie. I saw it about a decade ago as it was in one of those 50 movie DVD boxes that run like ten bucks and it was such an awful copy of the movie that the last 15 minutes was literally incoherent. Ultra dark photography + zoomed in pan and scan + horrible picture quality. I bought the blu ray. Definitely looks better. Like...how could it not? But the end is still a tad confusing visually and story wise....but I think I got it this time. And if I do, it has to be the most bizarre motive for a slasher villain ever. It speaks to the confusing nature of the film that I'm pretty sure I get why the killer is killing but that I'm still not 100% positive WHO it was. 

What an odd movie for the 70s. The victims are 50-ish men instead of teenagers. One of the characters brings up being gay and it's treated as neither a punchline or like he's ashamed of it. And the other manly men of the group seem to take no issue with it despite clearly being heterosexual and seemingly (to me anyway) right leaning conservative types. Also...the killer is cut from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, disfigured and disturbed, cloth. Yet...apparently VERY intelligent. Not only in how he thoroughly Rambos these guys with elaborate yet extremely realistic traps designed to maim and demoralize and wear out his victims but also because he leaves an effigy of the Rod of Asclepius (the men are all doctors). It's not perfect. And it's a tad slow here and there but I'd definitely recommend it. And it has one stand out HOLY FUCK creepy moment that's worth viewing the movie just for that..
Finally got around to Clint Eastwood’s RICHARD JEWELL, which I found kind of infuriating, though that’s clearly the point.

Eastwood’s typically reserved style is in full effect here, emphasizing the performances first and foremost. Paul Walter Hauser is hopefully on the verge of becoming a major, go-to character actor, because he’s been terrific in everything he’s featured in so far, including this. There was probably a more cliched (or even goofy) way that Jewell could have been portrayed, but Hauser handles the role with some complexity, bringing to the table this sense of a guy who is extremely well-intentioned, but out of his element and incapable of getting out of his own way. Kathy Bates does some fairly heartbreaking work, while Sam Rockwell (always an enjoyable presence on screen) supplies a few needed moments of levity, but more importantly, gets to give voice to the righteous anger at the heart of the movie’s thesis.

The film’s fundamental problem, however, seems to be that it doesn’t trust the audience to understand this thesis organically, so it bends over backwards to make that happen by portraying the media and the FBI in a pretty arch, malicious way. Make no mistake, both groups behaved utterly disgracefully and reprehensibly with respect to Jewell, but the way the Olivia Wilde and Jon Hamm characters are written and performed is -- at minimum -- highly questionable. It’s unnecessary, too, because the pure facts of the case are damning enough.

So does it stack the deck too much? Yes. Does it make some extreme characterization choices in the process of stacking that deck? Yes. Are the key performances highly effective and even affecting? Very much so, and ultimately that proves to be the most important thing, as the acting elevates this to a pretty powerful place. Had some of the writing been just a bit more nuanced, this would have been one of 2019’s best films.
Jewell went to his grave without ever receiving an apology from guys like Brokaw.

Fucking travesty. Haven't seen the film.

THE PROPHECY (1995)

I've seen this before - but only once, and long ago, on VHS. It's on Prime for free, so I figured WTF.

It is not good.

The story and the rules of the world of the film seem half-baked at best. A LOT of ideas going but none of it really coheres or makes a damn bit of sense. Koteas is a wonderful character actor but, in this instance at least, can't carry a film. There's a really disturbing pedo-vibe to how one angel deals with a young girl - and he's supposed to be one of the good angels. Madsen is a non-entity here, but I chalk that up more to direction and script than her.

The film's definitely hurt by the minimal budget and the brevity of the film. I could actually see this being remade into a Netflix or Amazon limited series and being vastly improved with money, time for the story and characters to develop, and a better-developed world and backstory that could payoff over several hours. Sort of an X-Files mashed up with the Exorcist.

Walken is having fun but not enough to make the film enjoyable. It's not quite 100 minutes but frequently drags and just meanders. A lot of imagery and ideas with little or no satisfying payoff. Mortensen is fucking magic in about five minutes of screen time as Lucifer - but again, not enough to justify watching the entire movie.

It apparently somehow managed to get a bajillion sequels. I will not be watching them.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(11-16-2020, 12:29 AM)MichaelM Wrote: THE PROPHECY (1995)

I've seen this before - but only once, and long ago, on VHS. It's on Prime for free, so I figured WTF.

It is not good.

The story and the rules of the world of the film seem half-baked at best. A LOT of ideas going but none of it really coheres or makes a damn bit of sense. Koteas is a wonderful character actor but, in this instance at least, can't carry a film. There's a really disturbing pedo-vibe to how one angel deals with a young girl - and he's supposed to be one of the good angels. Madsen is a non-entity here, but I chalk that up more to direction and script than her.

The film's definitely hurt by the minimal budget and the brevity of the film. I could actually see this being remade into a Netflix or Amazon limited series and being vastly improved with money, time for the story and characters to develop, and a better-developed world and backstory that could payoff over several hours. Sort of an X-Files mashed up with the Exorcist.

Walken is having fun but not enough to make the film enjoyable. It's not quite 100 minutes but frequently drags and just meanders. A lot of imagery and ideas with little or no satisfying payoff. Mortensen is fucking magic in about five minutes of screen time as Lucifer - but again, not enough to justify watching the entire movie.

It apparently somehow managed to get a bajillion sequels. I will not be watching them.

All of the sequels are about on the same trajectory that Jaws and its sequels take. Process what that means in terms of quality. What was it with mid to late 90s movies from Miramax/Dimension? They all had this extremely cheap, bordering on DTV (the sequels were DTV), ugly look to them. It looks like they couldn't even be arsed to get good film or something. Every single one of them save for the Scream films, The Crow, From Dusk Till Dawn and Mimic looks this way. Off putting in a way that I have trouble pinpointing. 

I mean....look at this list of winners:
Fortress
Highlander 3
Highlander Endgame
Children of the Corn 3-god knows how many
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
An American Werewolf in Paris
Nightwatch
Phantoms
Dracula 2000
The Crow: City of Angels
Hellraiser: Bloodline - Hellraiser: Ashcan

You get the picture. And every damn one of them either never got a blu ray release or they did but it was Echo Bridge and they put every single movie on one disc to assure that they look the maximum amount of shite.

The Prophecy has a couple ok things going for it but none of them were utilized to any satisfying degree. Except for Viggo Mortensen as Satan who clearly thought he was in another, better, movie.
I actually liked all three Prophecy movies (did they make any more)? Kind of underrated.

Viggo and Walken were the highlights, plus it was just a really creative take on the genre. Felt almost novel-esque with its world-building.

(11-16-2020, 12:53 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: What was it with mid to late 90s movies from Miramax/Dimension? They all had this extremely cheap, bordering on DTV (the sequels were DTV), ugly look to them. It looks like they couldn't even be arsed to get good film or something.

Yeah, 1990s American studio horror was a mixed bag.  Especially Miramax/Dimension.  They got lucky sometimes with stuff like HALLOWEEN: H20, MIMIC, THE FACULTY and FROM DUSK TILL DAWN.

Holywood 90's horror was all over the place.  There were high points and genre crosses with action, comedy and "psychological thrillers."  I liked SCREAM and SCREAM 2 a lot and thought SCREAM 3 was middling but I'm not sure how they'd all hold up for me now.  SLEEPWALKERS, I admit that I enjoy more than I should.  It's nuts but there's something there.  I remember liking CANDYMAN a lot but can't recall much of CANDYMAN 2.  ARMY OF DARKNESS, ARACHNOPHOBIA, THE FRIGHTNERS and DEEP RISING were fun, or would they be more comedy?  And A-List Directors and Casts really nailed it with MISERY, CAPE FEAR, IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS, JACOB'S LADDER, BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA, NEEDFUL THINGS, WOLF...

But for every one of the above, there were how many like DISTURBING BEHAVIOR, URBAN LEGEND, THE HAUNTING, the I KNOW WHAT YOU DID films, CHILDREN OF THE CORN sequels, PET SEMETARY 2, VIRUS...   PHANTOMS took place in an interesting looking town, at least, is the best I can say about it.    Researching titles, I was shocked at how many of the lesser "1990s" horror films I recalled were actually released in the early 2000s, the "meh"-ness of 90s horror style bleeding on well into the next decade...  (THIRTEEN GHOSTS, CURSED, HOUSE OF WAX, CAPTIVITY)  

It was a great thing, though, that David Lynch's TWIN PEAKS (1990-1991 and FIRE WALK WITH ME in 1992) and THE X-FILES were around to take up the slack by giving us kooky, relatable characters, definable goals and creepy thrills every weekend.  Damn, that was a couple of shows, and I still really enjoy the larger-budgeted films FIRE WALK WITH ME and THE X-FILES: FIGHT THE FUTURE (1998).  I'm also that guy who still digs THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT (1999) and the wave of Japanese stuff like JU-ON series, the first couple of THE RING films, Takashi Miike's AUDITION, Kiyoshi Kurosawa's CURE and CHARISMA.

The Miramax/Dimension stable, for the most part, though, not too compelling by comparison.
(11-16-2020, 01:49 AM)Overlord Wrote: I actually liked all three Prophecy movies (did they make any more)?  Kind of underrated.

Viggo and Walken were the highlights, plus it was just a really creative take on the genre.  Felt almost novel-esque with its world-building.

I am certain the writers of Supernatural watched the films.

There were 2 more Prophecy films with Kari Wuher. But they are lesser DTV type sequels. Best to ignore them.
THE PROPHECY is ‘good.’ The ideas behind it are solid in much the same way that the ideas behind HIGHLANDER are solid (and it’s Gregory Widen behind both films). What’s on screen is underdeveloped and feels like a first draft but it has that ‘cool’ factor to it that helps you gloss over writing, budget, or acting deficiencies. The first two sequels, with Walken still present, are ok. There’s some good stuff in there but nothing or real note. I never saw the final two films as Walken isn’t in them and the plot summaries feel subpar.
It wasn't cool enough for me to gloss over. Feel very undercooked first or second draft-y to me. As I wrote, there are a LOT of interesting ideas in play, but they don't cohere. The two human leads are simply not compelling and in Katherine's case, barely fleshed out.

With a story like this, we either need to have a solid understanding of what the rules are for everyone in play or it needs to go full phantasmagoria. THE PROPHECY does neither, trying to be both a grounded procedural and an ominous, stylish tale of a rogue angel.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

I think there are five Prophecy movies. Three with Walken and two with Tony Todd that I know I watched but have zero recollection of past how mind numbingly dull they were..
BEFORE MIDNIGHT (2013)

At the behest of erstwhile TC citizen Bartleby Scrivner, I've watched the Before trilogy over the course of this year. First two were watched within a couple of weeks of each other (I think - it may have been a month) but I've delayed watching the third installment due to being warned it wasn't all that pleasant.

Yes...and no? I will confess that I broke the film into three separate parts, despite being less than two hours long. That helped me, at least, digest and accept Celine and Jesse being in a not so great place. The final 30 minutes are both amazing and grueling. Hawke and Delpy completely nail what a fight between longtime romantic partners looks like. And it's not a surprise, as the lead up definitely clues us in that Something Bad is brewing between them. I was a bit surprised by how much of the film involves other characters interacting with them, but it makes sense for this stage of their lives, and it all directly ties into the underlying conflicts and doubts. I remain a bit mixed on Hawke but he's terrific here in terms of giving us a Jesse who's both older but pretty consistent with his younger self. Delpy, though, owns the movie, and for the first time in the trilogy really comes across as a complete human being. (That's not a criticism; Before Sunrise and Before Sunset leaned heavily towards Jesse's POV, and Celine was still something of a mystery to him and us.)

As I wrote above: the dialogue when they're arguing is eerily on point. I uncomfortably saw myself in Jesse during it, and neither he nor I came out of it looking better or wiser.

The ending is famously ambiguous. I have my own head canon about what happens, but I do hope there's a fourth one in two years. And a fifth nine years after that.

What did you think of Boyhood?

I ended up randomly watching HOT FUZZ and PLEASANTVILLE back to back last night... and later realized that they make for a great thematic double feature

pleasantville IS the best village, nicholas angle!

also, 4 years before playing spider-man, tobeymaguire's pleasantville-character's name is Bud Parker

and reese witherspoon is a total mary sue
(11-17-2020, 03:10 PM)Overlord Wrote: What did you think of Boyhood?

Haven't gotten around to that one yet.

I really want to rewatch PLEASANTVILLE.

Maybe I'll finally understand the last shot!
(11-17-2020, 03:20 PM)Nooj Wrote: I ended up randomly watching HOT FUZZ and PLEASANTVILLE back to back last night... and later realized that they make for a great thematic double feature

pleasantville IS the best village, nicholas angle!

also, 4 years before playing spider-man, tobeymaguire's pleasantville-character's name is Bud Parker

and reese witherspoon is a total mary sue

I really, really liked Pleasantville in the theater ... weird that I don't remember revisiting it since then.  I seem to recall being surprised to notice that Paul Walker was in it, I hadn't recalled that.  

I don't see a lot of connective tissue between Hot Fuzz and Pleasantville other than that both deal with "fishes out of water" who land in seemingly-idyllic places that are secretly nightmarish.  Huh ... well, I guess there is some connective tissue there, as well.  

(11-17-2020, 03:21 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 03:10 PM)Overlord Wrote: What did you think of Boyhood?

Haven't gotten around to that one yet.

I found it searing and devastating, but definitely YMMV may vary on that one.  

See what the Facebookers think.

(11-17-2020, 03:20 PM)Nooj Wrote: and reese witherspoon is a total mary sue

[Image: 52b78096eb94b.jpeg]

Just finished ONWARD, which I found to be a thoroughly charming, heartwarming adventure. Great characters, genuinely funny gags and scenarios, and an earned emotional pay-off. And from a design standpoint, it has a lot of fun fusing classic high fantasy concepts with something identifiably related to our modern world, and that gives the movie a pretty fresh visual approach.

I recall lots of people brushing this off as "lesser Pixar" back in the Spring, but I'd easily put it in the top half of their output.
I felt that for a film about "choosing your own path", the story was pretty much on rails to the end. The "invisible bridge" sequence was really impressive in 3D though.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
From the plot perspective, there's definitely nothing groundbreaking or surprising happening. I think it nails its characters and its world, though.

And I don't think I've laughed harder during a movie this year than during the whole sequence with the sprite biker gang.
RICHARD JEWELL is a stone cold masterpiece. I think its reputation will only grow.

The only good thing to come out of the Trump era is the pointing out that the media/state of journalism sucks. This movie is the modern response to ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Paul Walter Hauser is really amazing in it.