Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biden our time until 2022 and 2024: Suffering Without End Reloaded???
My take is simply that the R senators would never confirm anyone from the Bernie-Liz-AOC team for a cabinet level position.

I am okay with that, as I want to maintain all advantages in Congress.

Part of me wants Newsom to fill Harris' seat in the Senate with Alex Padilla and Biden to choose Xavier Becerra as the next AG.
(11-22-2020, 12:42 AM)muzman Wrote: Is that like having to make everyone 'acting-'whatever like Trump did, but for different reasons?

And of course, while McConnell hasn't given a fraction of a shit about every judgement that Trump's 'acting' appointments were appointed improperly and are serving illegally, when Biden does it he's going to demand impeachment.
(shrug)

Let him.

The more the American people are confronted with the truth, that Republicans want to end Democracy and burn the Constitution, the better.
Gamertag: Tweakee
(11-22-2020, 12:29 AM)Overlord Wrote: https://news.yahoo.com/republican-resist...17442.html

What.  The.  Fuck.  Now McConnell wants to horse around with withholding Senate confirmations of Biden's appointees?!!!?  This would, of course, lead to a farcical series of recess appointments and other shenanigans.  

The Lion, the Witch, and the audacity of this fucking bitch ...

Essentially called this. I fully expect McConnell, assuming he retains role of majority leader, to do everything he's empowered to do to keep Biden from accomplishing anything.

This will include cabinet appointees, confirming judges, and passing legislation. Biden's going to surpass Obama and Pumpkins on use of Executive Orders because he'll not have any other choice.

McConnell is going to aim for 2022 and 2024, with the goals of 1) not allowing Biden to get anything done and 2) reclaim Republican control of all three branches of government. I have zero doubts that with those goals in mind that he'll experience no shame or hesitation in doing everything he's allowed by the letter of the law to do.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Well, sure. But everyone except Biden himself was expecting this all along.

Hopefully Biden will have realized what McTurtle is by inauguration, and doesn't waste his time trying to actually reach across the aisle like Obama did.

Basically, Biden should make a big show of offering to work with the Turtle, while having plan A ready in his back pocket every time the Turtle shits on Democracy. That hopefully keeps sane voters motivated and maybe even peels off 1% of Republican voters that actually want govt to do something (like COVID relief), while not losing a minute of time to the theater.
The team's coming together:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/...6053607424

Quote:Breaking: Biden announces foreign policy & national security team: Antony Blinken, Secretary of State; Alejandro Mayorkas, DHS Sec'y; Avril Haines, DNI;  Linda Thomas-Greenfield, U.N. ambassador; Jake Sullivan, National Security Advisor; and John Kerry, Special Envoy for Climate.

So, to recap:

-Black UN ambassador
-Latino DHS director
-First female DNI director
-John Kerry's SECOND admin that he's joined after losing in '04

Tony Blinken is a great choice (though very unfamiliar with him) and will make it a lot easier through confirmation than Susan Rice having Benghazi questions yelled at her by senators who weren't even in politics when it happened.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
New SoS got me all:

Having an immigrant running DHS = ICE gets iced.

Hopefully with a Body Count concert afterward and “Cop Killer” is the finale.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
And not a day too soon.
(11-23-2020, 03:36 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: Having an immigrant running DHS = ICE gets iced.

Hopefully with a Body Count concert afterward and “Cop Killer” is the finale.

America's love/hate affair with immigration is truly fascinating to behold.  Often with a generation or two people forget that their ancestors didn't land on Plymouth Rock.  I had to remind my brother recently that our father immigrated from Latin America.

Mayorkas on his nomination:

https://twitter.com/AliMayorkas/status/1...4908250115

Quote:When I was very young, the United States provided my family and me a place of refuge. Now, I have been nominated to be the DHS Secretary and oversee the protection of all Americans and those who flee persecution in search of a better life for themselves and their loved ones.
Anyone who ever trots out a "both sides" political argument ever again, should be pointed right there: A Latino will be in charge of DHS.
John Kerry as Climate Envoy.

Im, okay with this? >voice pitch increases<
Jeff Flake endorsed Biden's foreign policy picks:

https://twitter.com/JeffFlake/status/133...2007429120

Quote:I'm impressed with President-Elect Biden’s foreign policy picks. I’ve worked with both Tony Blinken and Linda Thomas-Greenfield over the years. They are consummate professionals and skilled diplomats.

Al Gore is happy about Kerry:

https://twitter.com/algore/status/1330939044344307713

Quote:A superb choice by President-elect @JoeBiden of @JohnKerry as Climate Envoy. Kerry’s experience and passion are exactly what we need to restore American leadership abroad and repair the alliances that are crucial to solving the climate crisis.
It's like Tywin Lannister has taken the reigns back from Joffrey, and I'm legit fully happy about it.
Ha!

https://twitter.com/ajbauer/status/1330968713747705856

Quote:Biden, Blinken, Yellen — what is this, a gerundocracy?
There's a rift regarding Biden jobs, but it's still early:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/24...ble-440199

Quote:It is still early in the Biden transition. There are thousands of jobs to fill. But a similar sense of dread is starting to bubble up from veterans of the Biden campaign, particularly those who were there with the president-elect from the Philadelphia announcement speech to the Wilmington victory speech. The target of their ire? The Obama establishment, which has eclipsed the Clinton name as shorthand for yesterday’s Democratic Party.

“The Obama staffers are now cutting out the people who got Biden elected,” said a senior Biden official channeling the feelings of the old guard of the Biden campaign, who requested anonymity for the obvious reason. “None of these people found the courage to help the VP when he was running and now they are elevating their friends over the Biden people. It’s f----- up.”

Another Biden adviser who worked on the campaign echoed the point. “It is a very valid criticism,” the adviser said. “A lot of people are living in uncertainty.”

There are some caveats, both about the 2008 transition battle between the campaign and the transition and the 2020 sequel. Back then Obama was a member of the U.S. Senate, where he didn’t have a large staff on which to rely upon for government positions. He was also taking over the presidency in the middle of a raging economic crisis. It shouldn’t have been surprising that he would draw from a pool of talent that dominated the administration of the last Democratic president.

Today, the conventional wisdom is that Biden is actually stocking his administration with his campaign loyalists at the expense of other factions within his party. And in one sense that’s true. The top of the campaign — Ron Klain, Mike Donilon and Steve Ricchetti — will move into the top slots of the Biden White House. Biden’s two top national security advisers on the campaign will take over the two top national security jobs in the administration: Tony Blinken as secretary of State and Jake Sullivan as national security adviser. The campaign manager, Jen O'Malley Dillon, and one of the campaign co-chairs, Rep. Cedric Richmond, will have senior White House roles.

The relatively uncontroversial nature of these picks has been by design. Internally, Biden officials have been instructed to emphasize to reporters how normal the picks are, how “these are tested leaders.” It’s seen as a success if the Biden staff and Cabinet announcements don’t make much news.

But just below that elite level there is concern bordering on panic — depending on who you talk to — about the perceived lack of outreach to many campaign alumni. “There’s real doubt about whether they will be taken care of,” said the Biden adviser.

Some of the grumbling dates back to one of the main divides in the Biden campaign: people who joined the campaign before Dillon was named campaign manager in March and those who came in after. Some in the old guard feel they were underappreciated — they won the Democratic nomination! — and were layered over by Dillon hires who are now being prioritized for White House jobs.

Several people I talked to pointed out that both Dillon and Julie Rodriguez, one of her campaign deputies, received high-profile positions in the White House before people like Kate Bedingfield and Symone Sanders, two prominent veterans from the pre-Dillon era who are still widely seen as likely to receive top communications jobs. “People who were not part of winning the hard-fought primary were placed before people who were part of that,” said the Biden adviser. "If you noticed, Jen’s people are being taken care of.”

In response to these criticisms, a Biden transition official, who asked to remain anonymous because they were concerned that the Biden campaign officials speaking out might “focus their frustrations towards me,” said in a prepared statement: “The Biden-Harris transition team includes many longtime campaign staff working alongside transition staff who have been laying the groundwork for a smooth transition for months. It is still extremely early in the process of staffing the Biden-Harris Administration and the people who put in the hard work to win will continue to be an integral part of the work moving forward."
It seems way too early to be worrying about this stuff.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Sen. Cornyn has woken up from a four-year slumber, and he's concerned about stuff:

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/13...7281826822

Quote:I want to see what foreign countries, if any, they have worked for: The secretive consulting firm that’s become Biden’s Cabinet in waiting - POLITICO
Sen. Schumer would not be stepping on the Biden administration, so I'm sure he got to go-ahead for this tweet:

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/13...7805569031

Quote:Senator Warren and I have a plan for President-elect Biden to immediately #CancelStudentDebt:
I've long argued that cancelling all student debt would lead to a gigantic backlash. But, if you cancel student debt for general education "core" requirement courses (generally roughly half of your college career, so two years of debt for a four year degree) it will be much easier for people to swallow. After all, we already pay for "general education" through 12th grade, this would simply be an extension of that doctrine.

But if you start cancelling debt or paying for majors you're going to end up with unpalatable poster-children for government waste. What, people who went to school for six years and earned degrees in basket-weaving, interpretive song and dance, gender studies, etc., you're going to piss off a lot of voters.

(11-25-2020, 04:46 PM)Overlord Wrote: I've long argued that cancelling all student debt would lead to a gigantic backlash. But, if you cancel student debt for general education "core" requirement courses (generally roughly half of your college career, so two years of debt for a four year degree) it will be much easier for people to swallow. After all, we already pay for "general education" through 12th grade, this would simply be an extension of that doctrine.

But if you start cancelling debt or paying for majors you're going to end up with unpalatable poster-children for government waste. What, people who went to school for six years and earned degrees in basket-weaving, interpretive song and dance, gender studies, etc., you're going to piss off a lot of voters.

This makes no sense. First of all, who the hell is going to be keeping tabs on what people majored in, and secondly, getting a generation of people out of crushing debt benefits everyone. With more money to spend, that invigorates the economy way more than bloated monthly payments to the government and private lenders.
(11-25-2020, 04:56 PM)mike j Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 04:46 PM)Overlord Wrote: I've long argued that cancelling all student debt would lead to a gigantic backlash.  But, if you cancel student debt for general education "core" requirement courses (generally roughly half of your college career, so two years of debt for a four year degree) it will be much easier for people to swallow.  After all, we already pay for "general education" through 12th grade, this would simply be an extension of that doctrine.

But if you start cancelling debt or paying for majors you're going to end up with unpalatable poster-children for government waste.  What, people who went to school for six years and earned degrees in basket-weaving, interpretive song and dance, gender studies, etc., you're going to piss off a lot of voters.

This makes no sense. First of all, who the hell is going to be keeping tabs on what people majored in, and secondly, getting a generation of people out of crushing debt benefits everyone. With more money to spend, that invigorates the economy way more than bloated monthly payments to the government and private lenders.

Nobody has to keep tabs on anything ... you simply set a "core curriculum" requirement that largely mirrors what already exists and the students or school submit a form indicating the student has completed them.  For folks who have already have their degrees you can shorthand it to half the existing four-year debt. So if you spent 120K on a four year degree, 60K forgiven.

I mean, it's essentially no different than what currently exists for student financial aid in terms of credit taken, whatever. 

**It would be better if we simply extended four year degrees to everyone as part of our nation's investment in our citizens, but I also can smell a backlash coming.

Backlash from who?

Regardless, it's worth it. Forgive all student debt.
(11-25-2020, 04:56 PM)mike j Wrote: This makes no sense. First of all, who the hell is going to be keeping tabs on what people majored in, and secondly, getting a generation of people out of crushing debt benefits everyone. With more money to spend, that invigorates the economy way more than bloated monthly payments to the government and private lenders.

To the first question, Tucker Carlson and his ilk is the answer.  They will be cherry-picking the most liberal-artsiest of advanced degrees to get amnesty and distorting them into the new Welfare Queen stereotype to stoke the backlash against a policy that would indeed lift all boats.
Some Americans may get hundreds of dollars more in Social Security benefits under Biden’s proposed change:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/som...d=msedgntp

Quote:Biden also said he would implement a minimum benefit for Americans who worked for 30 years — at least 125% of the poverty level. “No one who has worked for decades and paid into Social Security should have to spend their retirement in poverty,” his campaign site said.

Whether this proposal would be passed, or how soon, is yet to be seen. Biden may have a hard time with passing legislation if the Republicans keep control of the Senate. Still, there’s a chance both Democrats and Republicans will agree on this particular provision, said Dean Baker, senior economist at the Center for Economic and Policy Research. “I would think there’s at least a possibility,” he said.

Americans who worked low-paying jobs their whole lives would see the greatest benefits to a provision like this, said Nancy Altman, president of Social Security Works, which advocates for expanding the program. 

The minimum benefit is not a new concept. The idea, known as a “special minimum benefit,” was first enacted in the early 1970s to “provide adequate benefits to long-term low earners,” according to the Social Security Administration.

But the current law is outdated, Altman said. The standard Social Security benefit is indexed to wages, whereas the special minimum benefit is indexed to the average price of goods. Because average wages tend to outgrow average prices, each year the number of eligible beneficiaries for the special minimum benefit gets smaller. “In a way, it’s updating the minimum,” she said.

Biden’s plan would increase the minimum benefit for eligible beneficiaries. Under the current law, the full Special Minimum Benefit was $886.40 in 2019; under Biden’s proposal, it would have been $1,301, according to the Penn Wharton Budget Model.  

The cost of this proposal should be minimal, considering the number of people affected by this provision is limited because of the restrictions for who qualifies. “In terms of overall budget, it isn’t that much money,” Baker at the Center for Economic and Policy Research said.
Looks like Cindy McCain is going to be the next Ambassador to Britain. At least we know the price now.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Jen Psaki will be replacing Kayleigh the Lying MAGA-Gelfling™ as the next WH Press Secretary:

https://www.axios.com/biden-press-secret...e5229.html
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

As my wife always likes to remind me, "Women, we get shit done!" So this makes perfect sense.
If women are so great what happened with Kayleigh and Sarah Huckasands?
(11-29-2020, 11:16 PM)freeman Wrote: If women are so great what happened with Kayleigh and Sarah Huckasands?

Well..........they got it done. I mean honestly their job of trying to make the shit that comes out of Trump's mouth make sense is way harder.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
The Biden administration seems hellbent on finding something - anything - for Rahm Emanuel to do.

https://www.axios.com/biden-rahm-emanuel...e72c6.html
And Neera Tanden!

Operation "push Biden left" is going great.
(11-30-2020, 12:53 PM)Amos Wrote: And Neera Tanden!

Operation "push Biden left" is going great.

Amos...the GG of TC
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson