Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Black Panther 2: A "Killmonger Did Nothing Wrong" Pre-Release Discussion
I suppose to a certain degree, it was a fait accompli, but sounds like Disney has chosen a direction for Black Panther:

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/09/disne...her-2-kc1/

The shocking passing of Chadwick Boseman still seems rather fresh, but Disney ain't exactly raking in the theme park money this year.  Unfortunately, the obvious choice to pick up the mantle was [IMHO] rather hastily and foolishly killed off in the first film, but this is a comic book universe!  He can return!!

Those of you who found yourself repulsed by the CGI undead we've seen recently in a few high profile films will be happy to know that Disney has already promised not to digitally recreate Boseman.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/larryfitzmauric...ck-boseman

I'm really not sure what direction this sub-franchise can go ... I mean, Boseman pretty much owned that role.  I hope they give us something completely out of left field. Maybe instead of galactic threats or internecine dynastic conflicts they'll give us something crazy, like vampires?  Which could then lead into Blade?  Oh wait, what am I fucking talking about.  Vampires die from holy water, and they bless the rains down in Africa.  Wouldn't make sense.

Rumor was at the start of the year that the sister character was taking over as Black Panther, and that Boseman wasn't happy about being pushed aside. I wasn't really sure how true those rumors were back then, but knowing what we know now I'm thinking it was probably true.
Look I don't want to get in trouble for saying this... But Killmonger as a reformed good guy struggling with being in his heart and soul Malcolm X but being forced to take up the mantle of Martin Luthor King and honor the fallen T'Challa, while butting heads with his family and trying to define what it means for Killmonger to be The new Black Panther who isn't an extremist...

In the original film BP himself was Batman. Which is to say he was perfectly fine, but not the most interesting thing in his own story. He was a little bit boring when contrasted with more interesting characters. Not only would Michael B Jordan almost certainly be game to take over, but the story to be told in that is probably the most interesting juicy one. I mean no offense to Shuri, she's awesome and probably a fan favorite, but I just don't see her taking over right now as the most interesting choice to make.

Besides, bringing Killmonger back is simple enough. "Hulk thought about bringing the Black Panther back, whoops, he brought them both back by accident." Killmonger has been soul searching since his return, boom go from there villainous man becomes anti hero becomes reluctant hero by the very end of the film as he tries to square his deep in his bones racial anger over injustice with honoring a man he learned to respect etc etc. blah blah.
I think I’d prefer Michael B Jordan simply taking over the role of T’Challa. Which, you know, isn’t perfect, but what are you going to do?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(11-16-2020, 03:37 AM)freeman Wrote: Besides, bringing Killmonger back is simple enough.  "Hulk thought about bringing the Black Panther back, whoops, he brought them both back by accident." 

Hulk racist?
There's less than no chance they recast T'Challa. Not going to happen. Whoever takes over is going to be someone else.
I don’t know. I wouldn’t say ‘less than no chance’, that’s for sure.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
That's only because nobody says that.  You really think they'll have the balls to recast such a... Icon?
They don’t have a good option, but I do think the character himself is what people responded to, more than simply the mantle of Black Panther. Obviously, a huge part of that was Boseman, but I do think if BP2 is a movie about T’Challa dying between films (and that would have to be what it’s is about), you really hamper what kind of stories you get to tell.

I hadn’t really considered it before, but that is what’s kinda interesting about Michael B Jordan returning as T’Challa. It’s maybe the only person whose casting would have emotional resonance both in world and in real life. He’s maybe the only person who wouldn’t feel like a carpetbagger in the role, because he was there in the original film, and it sort of symbolically posits a T’Challa changed by that experience, now an amalgam of both ideological sides.

Considering the rumors that Professor X and Magneto may well be cast with black actors, they’ve got some really interesting places to go lined up already. Might work.

Granted, Jordan is a very different actor than Boseman, with a very different energy, but he’s at least a hugely talented actor whose movie star qualities have been proved several times over.

Whatever they do, I don’t envy them. What a challenge.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Bringing back Killmonger as a conflicted anti-hero seems like the logical choice.

An earlier comment about the snap could have brought back "Black Panther" was an idea I floated a month or two ago ... dead simple, makes sense.

Nah you stole that from me just now. Because you're an evil Overlord and such.
He might not necessarily die but they're not recasting T'Challa.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
People would be very very very upset if they tried to replace Boseman as the character with someone else.

I mean, it's built into the lore of the storytelling that the Black Panther is a title that anyone theoretically can become. T'Challa has passed and it doesn't NEED to be T'Challa like Bruce Wayne mostly has to be Batman.
Absolutely. They could say "no no no, we've found the perfect most respectful way to recast him!" and people would still get upset. It's not worth it for them.
Its a no win scenario. No matter the call they make, it's going to upset Film Twitter.

That said my guess is a recast happens with John David Washington.

The real ending to Big...
I have to imagine they just go with Shuri. She is already an established popular character and they get the woke points for adding another female lead film to the MCU. Jordan would be really interesting but I simply don't see it happening. Not to mention the Shuri rumor was floating around more than a year ago. At the time I dismissed it because it seemed crazy they would replace him so soon but now it makes sense.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I wouldn't hate Shuri.  She would basically automatically become Marvels Wonder Woman now that Widow is gone, no offense Danvers.  Plus a female Black Panther with all the curves?  Yum.

[Image: th?id=OIP.XY4lT6nsLBLETKsuLS_66gHaEK&pid...=272&h=154]

Daaaaaaamn she looks cool AF.  OK, I'm on team Shuri.  Sorry Ovie.
I don't think a recast happens, largely because it would look like such a massive slap in the face at Boseman. And it would be incredibly bad publicity for Disney. The easiest way is to acknowledge Boseman's passing within the film, and have someone else take up the mantle. Shuri is the most logical choice, but I don't hate Killmonger coming back.

"There's only one question to resolve. I'm scared. I feel a little crazy. I'm not lucid. The assumptions are right. I can feel my fear growing. Now is the time for the answer. Just one question. One question to answer.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
(11-16-2020, 10:20 AM)freeman Wrote: I wouldn't hate Shuri.  She would basically automatically become Marvels Wonder Woman now that Widow is gone, no offense Danvers.  Plus a female Black Panther with all the curves?  Yum.

You have actually seen Letitia Wright, yes? 

Talented actor and she killed it as Shuri in BP. But in no way does the word "curvy" apply to her very petite frame.

Shuri does feel like the most logical choice, but bringing Killmonger back, as Overlord speculated, opens up a lot of narrative possibilities. Plus Michael B Jordan.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Killmonger becoming Black Panther would kill my interest. I don’t see how he can be redeemed. Just let him stay dead.
THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS is coming up. We could get a Killmonger from an alternate universe whose life followed a different path.
Letitia Weight was great in BP. I’m not so sure she can carry the most (or second most) important movie in the next Marvel Phase. She has displayed charisma, but not quite leading presence. I’m not saying she doesn’t have it.

I actually like that Killmonger idea a little bit, but this whole enterprise is going to be a woke minefield to navigate. Regardless.
I'm not Avery.
Wright does a good job and Shuri is a fun character, but in the films there is no comparison with what Jordan/Killmonger brings to the table.

I think people are overlooking the possibility of it being Nakia or Okoye who take up the mantle. They partially seeded the possibility of Nakia in the first film when Ramonda said that she should be the one to take the heart shaped herb instead of offering it to M'baku (also another possible replacement). This also would somewhat rectify the crime of leaving Lupita Nyong'o out of Infinity War and Endgame. And Okoye was apparently running things in Wakanda during the blip, so becoming the new head of state shouldn't be totally out of the question. While none of these characters have been the Black Panther in the comics, the MCU doesn't have to be 100% beholden to the comics, and in many cases already totally isn't.
(11-16-2020, 04:27 PM)Fafhrd Wrote: I think people are overlooking the possibility of it being Nakia or Okoye who take up the mantle. They partially seeded the possibility of Nakia in the first film when Ramonda said that she should be the one to take the heart shaped herb instead of offering it to M'baku (also another possible replacement), and Okoye was apparently running things in Wakanda during the blip. While none of these characters have been the Black Panther in the comics, the MCU doesn't have to be 100% beholden to the comics, and in many cases already totally isn't.

I'm not sure what new narrative paths those three options bring to the table.  Killmonger opens up a wealth of narrative possibilities.  Heck, Shuri as a Peter Parker-esque choice would also open up a bunch of new directions. 

Probably the most viable option we're all ignoring is that they straight-up recast the role.  Even when it's a tragic loss, it's not like that hasn't happened before (Spartacus and Dr. Parnassus being the most recent examples that come to mind).  It just seems kind of ... distasteful?  So I doubt they'll go that route.

Spartacus and Dr. Parnassus were both exponentially smaller projects that had a fraction of the cultural impact or visibility of something like Black Panther. Unless they delay by like 5 years or more, I just don't see the optics of it working out in Disney's favor.

(11-16-2020, 04:55 PM)sean blackwell Wrote: Spartacus and Dr. Parnassus were both exponentially smaller projects that had a fraction of the cultural impact or visibility of something like Black Panther.  Unless they delay by like 5 years or more, I just don't see the optics of it working out in Disney's favor.

Like I said, I don't think they'll do it, even if objectively it's the most clearcut option.

Recast with Idris Elba.
(11-16-2020, 05:53 PM)Bucho Wrote: Recast with Idris Elba.

Nathan Fillion or Anthony Ingruber or GTFO.

(11-16-2020, 05:59 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 05:53 PM)Bucho Wrote: Recast with Idris Elba.

Nathan Fillion or Anthony Ingruber or GTFO.

There’s a part of me who wants to see that solely to watch Disney burn.

I’m for it.

"There's only one question to resolve. I'm scared. I feel a little crazy. I'm not lucid. The assumptions are right. I can feel my fear growing. Now is the time for the answer. Just one question. One question to answer.

Do not. Recast. T'Challa.
Git' in under mah belly!
I like Shuri, but I'm not certain Wright has the correct energy to be Black Panther. My vote would go to Nakia, if only because I think N'Yongo would kill in the role.
(11-16-2020, 12:06 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 10:20 AM)freeman Wrote: I wouldn't hate Shuri.  She would basically automatically become Marvels Wonder Woman now that Widow is gone, no offense Danvers.  Plus a female Black Panther with all the curves?  Yum.

Talented actor and she killed it as Shuri in BP. But in no way does the word "curvy" apply to her very petite frame.

Shuri does feel like the most logical choice, but bringing Killmonger back, as Overlord speculated, opens up a lot of narrative possibilities. Plus Michael B Jordan.

Well, to be fair if Shuri's going to be the BP, she'd probably have to pull a Gal Gadot and put on some lean muscle. At least a LITTLE bit. She'd be like Wonder Woman meets Black Panther meets Tony Stark all in the game character.
(11-17-2020, 12:32 AM)freeman Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 12:06 PM)MichaelM Wrote:

Well, to be fair if Shuri's going to be the BP, she'd probably have to pull a Gal Gadot and put on some lean muscle.  At least a LITTLE bit.  She'd be like Wonder Woman meets Black Panther meets Tony Stark all in the game character.

Putting on muscle doesn't add curves.
I'm honoring the death of Chadwick Boseman by arguing how curvy the actress who will take up his mantle will be.