Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Citizen's Gift Exchange 2020
I know it's been a hellish year for most everyone, but we keep the cash minimum low for a reason and this wouldn't be the absolute latest we got something started.

I've got two folks interested so far.

The guidelines will be the same as always:

In this here thread, you post your geographic region and your willingness or refusal to ship internationally. This confirms that you will join our merrymaking.

The deadline to sign up: What even is a Black Friday sale anymore? Let's say Friday November 27th. Might bump that later though.

I will then post, on Monday, November 30th, the gift-giving daisy chain. For example, Person 1 gives to Person 2, Person 2 gives to Person 3, Person 3 gives to Person 4, Person 4 gives to Person 1.

Then, you will PM your giftee and gifter. You'll want to let your giftee know you're ready to give, and your giver where to give it to. Upon receipt of address, you go and shop for your fellow Citizen.  The minimum: in the past some folk have balked so I'm lowering it to $15 American. For those buying for international friends, remember that (for instance) you can often buy from Amazon in those countries and it will ship domestically; Amazon.co.de and Amazon.co.uk are useful places to start.

In years past, we have had some extravagance (and some astounding generosity), but don't let that intimidate you. The act of giving is enough. It really is the thought that counts.

Also in years past, we have had isolated incidents of people being dicks and not giving anything. Don't be a dick.

Post in this thread when you have successfully made contact with your giftee and gifter, and again when you have received and sent your goods. Once I post the list, I will also start the Swag Brag thread.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Deep River, CT. No international, sorry.
Giving money to the studio that keeps enabling Adam Sandler is morally equivalent to Satanic kitten rape orgies. - Hypnotoad
Updated!
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
46 views? Come on, kids, jump in.
I'm normally in for this but am dealing with multiple relatives I have to buy and ship gifts for and another online gift exchange. Not saying I won't do this, but pondering.

I have 11 days to decide! Tongue
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Sorry I have to skip this again. My wife has not found work since the start of the pandemic(bad time to move cities) and we are OK, but this is a tight year. Good luck, I really enjoyed participating in the past.
Gonna have to pass this year, sorry.
Take care, all of you.
OK, I'm looking for feedback here. Be honest.

Am I naive in trying to do this in 2020? Is there something more constructive and helpful we can do together instead, in these (hopefully) unique circumstances?

I believe in this community.
My honest feedback is that I love the gift exchange, don't want to see it go away permanently, but I am not sure I have the time/ability to do it this year.

I've been deeply appreciative of your time and effort to facilitate it, hammerhead!

A possible alternative for this year is some kind of group donation or gift purchasing for a cause? Something where folks could contribute any amount, no minimum? We do something like this at work wherein we "adopt" a local family in need and all chip in for holiday giving.

Just an idea. Maybe this year we let it rest, but I for sure don't want to see it go away for good.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
If there is interest in a charitable online donation effort, take a look at the Family Giving Tree. This SF Bay Area charity is in its 30th year, and you can donate a specific $20 to $40 gift or any amount. The FGT then uses the funds to buy bulk gifts to maximize purchasing power.

Disclosure: I'm on the team that set up the FGT effort at my local tech conglomerate; I can vouch for the transparency and efficiency of this charity group.

https://familygivingtree.org/

https://vtree.fgt.org/fgt/
I'm getting a feeling that this may be the way to go this year. Thanks!
I was wondering about this. So that's the final word?
I mean, I'm still up for an exchange even if there's just a couple of us. But if folks would prefer to donate to charity, or simply minimize their cash flow in These Uncertain Times, I totally understand.

I believe boone daniels and DerekM are still on board at this time.
(11-25-2020, 10:42 PM)hammerhead Wrote: I mean, I'm still up for an exchange even if there's just a couple of us. But if folks would prefer to donate to charity, or simply minimize their cash flow in These Uncertain Times, I totally understand.

I believe boone daniels and DerekM are still on board at this time.

Friday is the deadline? I'll think about it. Some kind of pool to help out...SOME group having a worse time than we are would be nice too. I don't even know where to start with that. But I do have an idea. PM me Hammerhead if you're interested in hearing it. I'd rather not post it publicly. If not, I totally understand. Everyone is spread pretty thin..
I am in.
home taping is killing music
Huzzah!
Still in, but I get it if we cancel.
Giving money to the studio that keeps enabling Adam Sandler is morally equivalent to Satanic kitten rape orgies. - Hypnotoad
Noted. I'm inclined to proceed.
Hmm. As of this morning it looks like we have two confirmed, and two (maybe three) maybes.

Anyone still on the fence can consider the deadline soft. I'll let things settle until Monday.
I'm down.
"There's only one question to resolve. I'm scared. I feel a little crazy. I'm not lucid. The assumptions are right. I can feel my fear growing. Now is the time for the answer. Just one question. One question to answer.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

Awesome!
If we're thinking about still doing a charitable donation, a lot of charities have a way where you can create basically a fundraiser with a goal and an end date in mind. It's like a Kickstarter page. People can then donate at any point through the fundraiser, and I think the money still goes to the charities even if you don't reach the goal.

There's also stuff like ActBlue, which streamlines donations through a similar page.

If we're thinking about places to donate, something a la Art House America might be worth considering: https://www.gofundme.com/f/Art-House-America

I'd like to gently suggest that perhaps we consider a charity that does work with depression, such as a national hotline or something. It's clearly something many of us understand intimately, and, well, not everyone has a place where they can argue about RED HEAT while Boone (that's me) calls them problematic. Smile
I think what I'll suggest is that givees, if they like, can instruct their giver to donate to a charity of their choosing.
OK, here are the posters who definitely confirmed themselves IN:

ska oreo gives to boone daniels

boone daniels gives to DerekM

DerekM goves to hammerhead

hammerhead gives to ska oreo

If anyone else thought they were in but didn't actually post to that effect, speak up and we'll work something out.

Participants, please PM your givees to let them know you're on the ball. And PM your givers with your IRL names and mailing addresses.

Feel free to advise givers if a charity is preferred.

Have fun and stay safe, and I'll start the Swag Brag when this starts to pay off.
I'm sorry I never gave a definitive answer Hammerhead. I was stuck between not wanting to stay out of this one since I didn't do it last year either (when I was locked out) and mulling over how much a recent/sudden financial crisis would affect my ability to participate at ALL. Sorry HH.
Don't worry about it, fraid. You're a good egg.
PM received, PM sent.
Gift on it's way!