Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PREDATOR 5 (Dan Trachtenberg)
Oooh...

(11-21-2020, 02:39 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I dunno what Shane Black was on during that time. Even allowing one of his buddies on set who's actually a sex offender, playing a role where he's harassing Olivia Munn... like, that's so fucking stupid to let that happen.

SEXUAL PREDATORS
Git' in under mah belly!
Isn't a certain president's son a total blowhard game hunter?
"PREDATOR 5 VILLAIN ACHIEVED!"

"Do you know who my father is? I can hunt anything! Anywhere! Anytime!!"
ZAAAP! SPLAT!!
Predator: "Anytime."
(Score cue: Whatever the Alan Silvestri equivalent of the Wailing Sax would be.)
(11-21-2020, 11:44 PM)engineer Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 07:02 PM)simbob Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 02:37 PM)engineer Wrote: That pic of the Preds with the soldiers on the military vehicle, I never bought as a pic from the actual film.
Always looked more like the actors goofing around on set to me.  A Predator is peace-signing the camera, for crying out loud.

I'm not sure anyone was thinking that was something you'd see exactly in the movie. But, they were apparently meant to team up with a couple Predators, and it does seem they would've used that vehicle. That's on top of what sounds like a bunch of cuts and changes, like a whole gaggle of mutant hybrid Predators they'd have to fight at one point.

Oh they sure did...  Even before the film, I read so much from so many online saying, "People Soldiers teaming up with Predator Soldiers? I can't wait to see what happens in this movie!"  Only to later show up at the theater and learn that not much happened at all.  

They're out there.  They know who they are.

But yes, I would have love to have seen (and still would love to see, I suppose) a whole lot more of the Predator Universe.
More planets, more civilizations.  The Predator/Soldiers/Trees/Rivers stuff is played out beyond measure.  Let's try something new.

No, I meant that exact picture being something that would happen exactly. The human soldiers and Predators were going to team up, that's something that was going to happen and got changed in reshoots, and they probably were going to use that vehicle (which also isn't in the final film) together too. But I don't think the Predator flashing the peace sign was in. I guess maybe it could have been, like maybe one of the human characters taught the Predator that, or it learned it by seeing a human do it, and now it just does that sometimes.

I can't remember the context the picture was taken. Did it happen during filming, or was it just something Black or someone posted on Instagram or Twitter? I do know there's another similar picture to that where they definitely aren't shooting because the two predators have the front of their Predator heads off.
(11-22-2020, 12:07 AM)simbob Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 11:44 PM)engineer Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 07:02 PM)simbob Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 02:37 PM)engineer Wrote: That pic of the Preds with the soldiers on the military vehicle, I never bought as a pic from the actual film.
Always looked more like the actors goofing around on set to me.  A Predator is peace-signing the camera, for crying out loud.

I'm not sure anyone was thinking that was something you'd see exactly in the movie. But, they were apparently meant to team up with a couple Predators, and it does seem they would've used that vehicle. That's on top of what sounds like a bunch of cuts and changes, like a whole gaggle of mutant hybrid Predators they'd have to fight at one point.

Oh they sure did...  Even before the film, I read so much from so many online saying, "People Soldiers teaming up with Predator Soldiers? I can't wait to see what happens in this movie!"  Only to later show up at the theater and learn that not much happened at all.  

They're out there.  They know who they are.

But yes, I would have love to have seen (and still would love to see, I suppose) a whole lot more of the Predator Universe.
More planets, more civilizations.  The Predator/Soldiers/Trees/Rivers stuff is played out beyond measure.  Let's try something new.

No, I meant that exact picture being something that would happen exactly. The human soldiers and Predators were going to team up, that's something that was going to happen and got changed in reshoots, and they probably were going to use that vehicle (which also isn't in the final film) together too. But I don't think the Predator flashing the peace sign was in. I guess maybe it could have been, like maybe one of the human characters taught the Predator that, or it learned it by seeing a human do it, and now it just does that sometimes.

I can't remember the context the picture was taken. Did it happen during filming, or was it just something Black or someone posted on Instagram or Twitter? I do know there's another similar picture to that where they definitely aren't shooting because the two predators have the front of their Predator heads off.

I vaguely recall it being "leaked," which led to speculation.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Can you imagine if that were in the actual movie?  Like, the "Peace" thing as a modern version of the recurring bit in TERMINATOR 2 with the T-800 giving the thumbs up to young John Connor and dealing with humans.  Oooof.

Just found this...
https://www.gamesradar.com/the-first-set...questions/
Screentrant has a breakdown of the original script:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant....hoots/amp/

Apparently Edward James Olmos had 2 Preds living in Area 51, supporting humans in the upcoming war against a pred clan that wants to invade earth. So they join soldiers in a battle against an army of hybrids, but everyone is killed by the Upgrade. They must have skipped this for budgetary reasons.

Obviously they tried to get Arnold for the cliffhanger but he declined, as he didn't believe in the script (or wanted a bigger role). Then they tried to convince Sigourney Weaver to cameo as Ripley but she too declined. So they only find a rather underwhelming battle suit dubbed The Predator Killer.
But why?
Wow, that sounds much more interesting while also sounding just as terrible!
Hollywood, how do you do it?
That sounds like a band-aid that's slightly more interesting on top of a bad film. I was hoping for something radically different and better, not MOAR Predators who get slaughtered.
Predator Valhalla, directed like Apocalypto-ish, totally subtitled. Vikings vs Predator(s) with Mads Mikkelsen as the last Viking standing. 

But Bradito really wins...the Predators killing the shit out of a bunch of Civil War reenactors before realizing they weren't REALLY armed and dangerous is the funniest thing I've heard in a while. All the Predators going back to their mothership arguing and bitching about who's fault THAT was. Predators never win. They're cool but....they're actually kind of a bunch of fuck ups. After the first movie where one couldn't kill ARNOLD IN HIS PRIME...the sequel(s) should've shown them winning more. All they ever do is fuck around and get killed.

Rambo vs Predator. Stallone might as well do it. *picks up Predator radio* "I'm gonna eat your green alien heart." *proceeds to do just that at the end*

Why in the hell would Sigourney Weaver cameo at the end of a goddamned Predator movie....that takes place in the present. Or at all? Because those AvP movies sure as shit didn't actually happen. I fever dreamed them both. Non-canon!
"RAMBO VS A MONSTER" was once lined up to be an actual concept for a Rambo sequel.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3497...n-monster/
(11-22-2020, 02:11 PM)engineer Wrote: "RAMBO VS A MONSTER" was once lined up to be an actual concept for a Rambo sequel.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3497...n-monster/

That's why it's strikes me as so "hell, might as well." The "Gladiator" Predator concept is probably the only one that simultaneously explores the Predators world and culture and stuff like that (i.e. which I don't know if people want or not) while also doing something new AND (if done right) could be the big special FX blockbuster type of film that studios like to dump atrocious amounts of money on. And it'd be a really easy way to have Dutch back in it and it make sense.

Predator meets Gladiator meets Planet of the Apes lol.
Like THE TERMINATOR, I say scale it all back, cut the humor, small cast, imaginative direction, small story and make it a hard-R, no callbacks, very little CGI, and no recycled catch phrases... We need to remind modern audiences what stakes, uncertainty and fear are in our monster movies.
(11-22-2020, 03:13 PM)engineer Wrote: Like THE TERMINATOR, I say scale it all back, cut the humor, small cast, imaginative direction, small story and make it a hard-R, no callbacks, very little CGI, and no recycled catch phrases... We need to remind modern audiences what stakes, uncertainty and fear are in our monster movies.

Then it just becomes another monster movie.  

Predator and Terminator (and Alien for that matter) all have the same problem where they were fine for their time, and the various sequels sort of prove that they're ultimately one-and-done idea.  The only way they can go is either the Aliens route in which a bunch of self-imported lore is stuffed into the story telling, or you just get another film that recreates the same shit as the one movie everyone likes.  

I appreciated The Predator because it doesn't even bother to try to deal with its legal and just made a vulgar B-action film out of it.
"There's only one question to resolve. I'm scared. I feel a little crazy. I'm not lucid. The assumptions are right. I can feel my fear growing. Now is the time for the answer. Just one question. One question to answer.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

(11-22-2020, 03:13 PM)engineer Wrote: Like THE TERMINATOR, I say scale it all back, cut the humor, small cast, imaginative direction, small story and make it a hard-R, no callbacks, very little CGI, and no recycled catch phrases... We need to remind modern audiences what stakes, uncertainty and fear are in our monster movies.
The Terminator absolutely should go this route. No Connors. No shape shifters. Just a gruesome hi-tech slasher movie with a protagonist who doesn't understand why this thing is trying to murder them. But....something to make it NOT the exact same thing as the original.

A Predator sequel where Dutch has spent the last 30 years in captivity on another world and being forced to fight other beings (other beings that, presumably, also defeated a Predator during a hunt) in front of a Predator audience....I guess so they can find the baddest ass thing in the universe. Have like, an old fat Charles Laughton Predator who "owns" Dutch and it's like a big event whenever he fights. Start the movie with them throwing Adrien Brody in the same cell with him. Maybe they try to make them fight each other. And now that he's got somebody who he can collaborate with, they plot to escape. I refuse to believe that making a good, interesting, movie out of that concept is impossible. Whether they DO or not...is another matter. But, at least it'd be different. Larger scale for a Predator movie. Just making it about another hunt seems....pointless. And they're obviously jonesing to get Schwarzenegger back into one of these things and there's not too many shopping days left till Christmas on THAT.
(11-22-2020, 04:38 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: A Predator sequel where Dutch has spent the last 30 years in captivity on another world and being forced to fight other beings (other beings that, presumably, also defeated a Predator during a hunt) in front of a Predator audience....I guess so they can find the baddest ass thing in the universe. 

Predator: Ragnarok

I love it.

(11-22-2020, 04:48 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(11-22-2020, 04:38 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: A Predator sequel where Dutch has spent the last 30 years in captivity on another world and being forced to fight other beings (other beings that, presumably, also defeated a Predator during a hunt) in front of a Predator audience....I guess so they can find the baddest ass thing in the universe. 

Predator: Ragnarok

I love it.

I been beating this drum since WAY before Thor did it lol. Long enough ago that I was originally thinking it should be Arnold and Danny Glover. But I don't think Glover could be believably put into such a thing in any capacity at this point. He's SOOOO old. At least Arnold still has the phyical presence to do just enough and let FX do the rest. An old bearded Dutch who's given up on escaping and just resigned himself to killing whatever they pit him against? Yeah...I could watch that. As long as they don't pull a PG-13 on it..
Arnie is, what, 73. Having a 73 year old Arnie battling for his life on a regular basis, 30 years later would be even more CGI and still be, to me anyway, even more ridiculous than him continuing to come back as various Terminators.

I'm trying to remember the Dutch lore. At the end of PREDATOR, the US is bringing him home after the massive jungle explosion. In the following films, do they ever mention him with any certainty? I recall Keyes mentioning Val Verde in PRED 2, but that's basically it, right? I've always just assumed he stayed in the military and is probably heading up the Men in Black by now, being one of the only survivors of a Predator-related event on record in this world. Him and Mike Harrigan. Maybe Mike's heading the Men In Black and Dutch is the Tactical Trainer of a below the radar Shadow Group (like Adam Baldwin and his team in P2).

I don't need a 73 year old Dutch on another world, but I could deal with a 73 year old Dutch and a 74 year old Harrigan running things here and coming back in a limited capacity for one last fight. If Arnie and Donald showed up in a scene together, I'd love it even more.
Arnold really hasn't been able to salvage the recent Terminator sequels. I think he was right to treat Predator like a one-and-done.

It's a franchise that's similar to RoboCop in that none of the multitudinous follow-ups can hold a candle to the original, yet they seem to keep trying. Because IPs!
(11-22-2020, 02:35 AM)flynn keaton Wrote: Screentrant has a breakdown of the original script:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant....hoots/amp/

Apparently Edward James Olmos had 2 Preds living in Area 51, supporting humans in the upcoming war against a pred clan that wants to invade earth. So they join soldiers in a battle against an army of hybrids, but everyone is killed by the Upgrade. They must have skipped this for budgetary reasons.

Obviously they tried to get Arnold for the cliffhanger but he declined, as he didn't believe in the script (or wanted a bigger role). Then they tried to convince Sigourney Weaver to cameo as Ripley but she too declined. So they only find a rather underwhelming battle suit dubbed The Predator Killer.

I don't know if it was for budgetary reasons, it sounds like they shot all these things. Maybe there would've been some CGI stuff that needed to be done, but I wouldn't think the massive reshoot they did to change things would saved them the cost.
(11-22-2020, 07:59 PM)bradito Wrote: Arnold really hasn't been able to salvage the recent Terminator sequels. I think he was right to treat Predator like a one-and-done.

True but to be fair he's been used more as a walking-talking prop than a character, despite I think being the most interesting thing in T-Rebooted.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Wasn't that the plot of Predator 3 when Rodriguez was gonna direct it? Arnold and Glover taken to the Predator home world and forced to fight in front of an audience?
In 1916 a U.S. court ruling, following the example of company law in Britain, effectively made it illegal for a corporation to be motivated by anything but the maximization of profit.  Corporate social-responsibility, therefore, became illegal.