Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The TC Critics' Circle Awards 2020
[Image: qKjm9Jx.jpg]

Looking back over the mess that was this year, running these awards was some of the most fun I've had on these boards in ages. One of the pieces of feedback I got was that people would have liked a little more time to think about their contenders, so consider this the opening announcement of the 2nd Annual Trouble City/Sewer Chewer Critics' Circle Awards (the TCSCCCA if you're nasty)! 

If you didn't follow along last year, you can read our initial discussion here, the nominees list here, and the final winners here

Onto this year: The Oscars and everyone else may have bumped their awards to mid-2021, but not us! I think this community has enough creativity and gumption to stick to the calendar year. 

As with last year, all of this is subject to change before I launch that initial nominations ballot. This thread is just to open discussion about ideas, ways to improve, incorporate feedback from last year, etc.

"RULES" 

1. Have fun, be loose, be creative!

2. All entries must have received a release between January 1 and December 31, 2020. It does not need to be a theatrical release. We welcome the streamers, the PVODers, and the DTVers here. 

3. When the nomination form is posted: In each category except for Best Picture, you can nominate up to 5 entries. For Best Picture, you can nominate up to 10. You do not need to vote in every category; you can pick and choose the ones you like.

4. Each individual film, performance, etc., needs at least 3 votes to qualify for the final ballot. If a category has only 4 nominees with 3 votes, then there will be only 4 final nominees, rather than 5, all the way down to 2 nominees.

5. If one potential nominee has at least five votes and no other potential nominee has the required 3, the first nominee is the automatic winner of the award.

6. If no nominees qualify for the final ballot, the final list of nominees is made by the emcee (that's me). We ran into this last year with the film criticism award, where we had a bunch of different entries but no clear winner. I picked the three that were the most popular or had provoked the most discussion on the boards, and those were the three that made the final ballot.  

TIMELINE

NOMINATIONS OPEN - MONDAY, JANUARY 11, 2021

NOMINATIONS CLOSED - FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2021

NOMINATIONS ANNOUNCED - MONDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 2021

FINAL VOTE ENDS - FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2021

WINNERS ANNOUNCED - MONDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2021 (a week before the Oscars were supposed to happen).

CATEGORIES

Last year we had 25 nominees over 4 fields, but looking through the discussion threads and remembering some of the feedback over this year, I've added 7 additional nominees across 5 fields. As noted, I'm flexible about these. I've noted the categories that are new in BOLD (and also wrote NEW), with explanation below in italics if necessary.

FILMS
Picture (10)
First Feature (Films that were the first feature length release (40+ minutes) by the director.)
The B-Movie Action Thread Award for Best Genre Picture (Horror/Sci-Fi/Action) (includes direct to streaming/video)
The "This Will Never Happen" Award (a movie you were skeptical about but wound up liking) 
The Contrarian Award (a movie you liked that nobody else did)

Animated Feature  - NEW

Limited Series/Season - NEW
Because TV is the new movies, right? (I'm kidding.) But there's so much crossover now, especially this year, that I thought it would be interesting to have one category dedicated to TV. This can be a limited series that came out in 2020, or a single season of a TV show that did. No TV performers would be eligible for any of the other categories, though. We're not the Golden Globes. 

The Quarantine Curve Award (aka the Unhinged award) - NEW
This is a category specific to 2020. It would be a film that you liked more because it came out during quarantine, whether that means the early months, the summer, or if it's still going on for you. 

ACTING
Actor
Actress
Supporting Actor 
Supporting Actress 
Breakthrough Performance, Actor
Breakthrough Performance, Actress
The Walter Hill Award for Best Ensemble 
Scared Shitless Performance by an Actor or Actress
The Al Pacino Award for Most Scenery-Chewing in a Motion Picture (overacting)

TECHNICAL
Director
Original Score
Cinematography 
Editing
Stunts/Action Sequences
Needle Drop (can be either an entire soundtrack of secondary music *or* a specific moment using music other than score.)
The Wendigo-Manitou Award for Best Practical Effects, Creature, or Make-up (can be for an individual design or a whole film)

Original Screenplay - NEW
Adapted Screenplay - NEW
Last year, we did a single screenplay award, but it seemed like people ultimately wanted the split.

Quote/Dialogue/Speech (can be spoken by a single character or multiple, 100 words max) - NEW

CRITICISM
The Fat Elvis Award for Outstanding Film Criticism (named in honor - sincerely - of one of our most tireless champions of the art of criticism, this can be awarded for a single piece, a body of work throughout the year, video essay, whatever)

Movie Podcast (episode or show) - NEW

GENERAL ACHIEVEMENT
The Landed Plane Award for Best Ending (to a movie, franchise, etc.)
The Uncle Mitch Award for Exceptional Achievement in Cinema (a performer, filmmaker, franchise, or film that was particularly notable in 2020, and that will be remembered for years to come. This could be a career best award, a film that broke a record, or whatever.)

The Chadwick Boseman Memorial Award for Decency - NEW
Okay, this one's a little out there. But since Boseman seems to be on everyone's minds at the moment, and the pain of his loss is still really fresh for film fans, I went back to Wesley Morris' appraisal of his work, and I was struck by what Morris wrote about making decency compelling. And while I like the idea of keeping these awards relatively politics free, I think we can all agree that the meaning of decency has been a...theme...of this year, let's say. So just like the other categories in "general achievement" are pretty open ended, I thought a category that sort of pays homage to one of the greats we lost too soon would be fun. This can be a character, a filmmaker, an actor, whatever you like.

Okay, so I know this was long. Let me reiterate: all of this is subject to change before I launch that initial nominations ballot. This thread is just to open discussion about ideas, ways to improve, incorporate feedback from last year, etc. 

With that in mind, let me know what you all think!
home taping is killing music
I don't know if I saw ten "new" films this year ...

(11-30-2020, 06:36 AM)Overlord Wrote: I don't know if I saw ten "new" films this year ...

Kinda my issue as well, and I certainly didn’t see anything that stands out apart from TENET, and I’d never put that film on a ‘best of’ list in a normal year.
A tough year for this, but I'm down...I'm guessing 3/4ths of my noms will come from DA 5 BLOODS, but so be it!
Anyone who doesn't have Delroy Lindo for Best Actor is wrong.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
I spent 19.99 to watch THE HUNT, so I'll probably talk myself into giving it a push.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

(11-30-2020, 08:40 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: Anyone who doesn't have Delroy Lindo for Best Actor is wrong.

I definitely have two nominees for that one. (er the category of Best Actor, not the movie itself)
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but when we used to interact regularly, I thought you and I agreed it was Spike's masterpiece. Everything he'd been working towards. I know I haven't seen a better film this year.

To be fair, I still haven't seen the John Waters recommended BUTT BOY.

I've been here off and on, but I still try to interact with you regularly! To be fair, this year has seemed like twelve, so I probably said something shitty a Covid decade ago.

I love and adore it. Hands down my film of the year.
Definitely nominating Crowe for Unhinged.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
(11-30-2020, 11:56 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: Definitely nominating Crowe for Unhinged.

No doubt, he's the reason to watch that movie. Everything non-Crowe is kinda bleh, but he's great.
Mangy, I misread your post. I thought you meant you had it up for 2 awards, but not best picture.

I'm not sure what my runner up would be. This fucked up year I almost want to say HUBIE HALLOWEEN.

My vote right now goes to THE WAY BACK and PALM SPRINGS. 5 BLOODS is my fave though, hands down.
Don't go sleepin' on BOYS STATE or JASPER MALL, y'all.

Oh, and you don't need to have seen ten movies to nominate best picture! Or any of the categories! That's why I have the sliding scale - whatever gets the top ten slots gets nominated. If we only have nine, we only have nine. 

Last year many people didn't fill out 5 nominees for every category. Some only did a few. That's great! It was still hella fun.
Hmmm ... I'm sure a few more will come to mind, but off the bat:

The B-Movie Action Thread Award for Best Genre Picture (Horror/Sci-Fi/Action) (includes direct to streaming/video):  I will continue to go to bat for Underwater.  I thought it was compelling, tautly directed, full of homages to films I love, and had a few surprises.  

The "This Will Never Happen" Award (a movie you were skeptical about but wound up liking):  I really did not think I was going to like Palm Springs, but I ended up borderline loving it.  

The Contrarian Award (a movie you liked that nobody else did):  Maybe I'm just a sucker for the genre, or maybe my love for the first film bled through to the sequel, but other than the wonky driving sequences I quite liked Peninsula to Busan.  One of the few, perhaps.

Half my picks are likely gonna end up for Da 5 Bloods.

Even in a year where there’d be more content, I’d still have lots to say.
Despite having watched (as of today) over 80 "new" films from 2020, I honestly don't think I've seen many that I think should be winning many awards.

That said, I'll certainly participate.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Have you seen the John Waters recommended BUTT BOY?

Somehow, that one has escaped my view.
Boone, would there be any interest for a "Best Documentary" or "Best Non-Fiction Feature Film" category?
Bumping to see if this is still happening.
I've been at my in-laws since the week before Christmas. If there are no objections, I'll get the nomination form out tonight (with that Best Non-fiction category; nice addition).
Sounds good!
Sweet, I will keep an eye out.