Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Lord of the Rings - 1960s Casting Draft - Sign Up and Discussion
My original idea of a Don Siegel crime movie loose adaptation was centered on Eastwood as Aragon, Lee Marvin as Gandalf, Audie Murphy as Frodo, and Elvis as Samwise. Cassevetes, Reagan, Eli Wallach, Widmark and Angie Dickinson would've fit in there somewhere.

When I was brainstorming actors/ actresses after I signed on, Haley Mills was on my master list. So were Olivia Hussey and Jenny Agutter.

also on my list not drafted: Robert Blake, Bo Hopkins, Jon Voight, Michael Parks, Ava Gardner (as the elf Queen), Ossie Davis, and Hackman

It killed me not to draft Tuesday Weld, but I couldn't imagine her doing my movie.

My weirdest consideration was Paul Robeson coming out of retirement to play Gandalf. I kind of wish I'd pulled the trigger on that.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

I really, really strongly considered Robeson for Elrond - it was that or Gielgud as Denethor for my final draft pick. But he only had the one TV appearance in 1960 and his health got fucked up a couple years later, so it felt a bit like cheating even though he was alive. That and I couldn't think of an Arwen to pair with him. Hepburn as Arwen I also came extremely close to taking at a couple of points.
Donald Pleasance was always an option for various wizards or kings.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I had him as Gollum. Wake in Freight style!
I almost picked Rutger Hauer on the first day but didn't for the same reason. At the start I was thinking of O'Toole for Gandalf, and working Hauer in there as either Boromir or his brother. But I liked the idea of building up Boromir as the hero of the movie and having it be a surprise when he dies...and just killing off Peter O'Toole after making you think he's the hero knight of the story would be a surprise.

I almost picked Peter Lorre in the bonus, (and yesterday) and am a little surprised it took until the Bonus Round for him to go.
Sorry I dropped the ball on those last three parts/the last day. I assume the pickings are pretty slim, but I'll try to have something together for the brackets whenever they happen.
home taping is killing music
If any of my bonus picks are something you where planning, feel free to grab them.
Same.
thirded.
Yeah, take as you please.
"Such is the heroic burden. We must always mourn our fallen. Gone Forever! Dead like Robin! Like Supergirl! Deceased like Superman! Hal Jordan! All gone! I weep for them, and know that someday I shall join them. I must go weep. Like a hero." -- Kyle Baker
Seems fair, go ahead.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
You can't have my Peter Lorre. The ring is mine.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Just checking: are we doing brackets for this? I'm not pushing, just seeing if I need to start reviewing lists or not.

Thanks!
Has anyone heard from Boone? I was waiting until he made his final picks.
I'll ping him.
(03-04-2021, 01:54 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I'll ping him.

[Image: homelander.png]

Hammerhead gets to sit round one out!
Whoops, I did not finish putting up photos. My bad lol.
(03-05-2021, 04:58 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Hammerhead gets to sit round one out!

Wait, what's going on?
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Just that we had 11 lists, so you get to skip round one and head right to round two.
Given the timeline, that big British comedy version Richard Dickson has got going on could have also been a crossover with future National Lampoon creators Douglas Kenney and Henry Beard by being an adaptation of their Bored of the Rings book.

StartEd writing this in a different thread, but this seemed like the better place for it. I never brought it up before, but one of the ideas I had for how mine would look is, some of the actors would be made up in prosthetics to kind of look like living Arthur Rackham art. And one of the things I had in mind with how exaggerated characters could look, and I mean normal human characters, not like Gollum, was John Huston's Moulin Rouge. 

Maybe that's pulling a little too much from what stuff like the Hobbit cartoon in the '70s will do later, but Arthur Rackham is a famous English illustrator anyways, I love his art, Moulin Rouge would've been doing something similar with a different artists the decade before, and I just think it'd look great with how Bava makes things look.
In the voting thread, Simbob said:

(Yesterday, 03:56 AM)simbob Wrote: There was second I was also thinking about doing Monty Python, but them forming is '69 I decided to do something different.

The Pythons worked together in various combinations well before Python, so I didn't feel it was too out there for them to have worked together on this. My original plan was to have all the Pythons in the Fellowship (Gilliam would have been the fourth hobbit), with the three Goons as Gandalf (Milligan), Elrond (Sellers) and Gimli (Secombe). Cleese would have been Boromir and Idle would have been Legolas, with Cook and Moore taking on Saruman and Grima. But then I lost Sellers early and thought Cook and Moore would kill it as Legolas and Gimli, and switched things up accordingly.
Just this guy, you know?
A draft this epic deserves breaking down each choice H2H style. Unfortunately I haven't had time for that the last few days. Maybe I can make some time late tonight or tomorrow- or at the very least in later rounds when there are less matchups.