Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MORTAL KOMBAT (2021)
Where the hell is Johnny Cage?
Maybe they are doing a bit of misdirection with the POV character "Cole Young". E.g, at the end of the film he gets a movie deal and declares his stage name is Johnny Cage.
PSN: Kriegaffe
I'll buy that.
Let's call it the "Who is John Blake in THE DARK KNIGHT RISES?" technique.
I hate that.  I don't want the Johnny Cage prequel where Johnny isn't Johnny, just like I didn't want some cop who isn't Dick Grayson.

I WANT SOME DICK DAMN IT!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Having a random POV character that isn't part of the established lore reminds me a lot of Agent Myers from the first Hellboy. While I kinda get the logic of why it's needed, OMG they are such a black hole of a character compared to all the other wild characters.

I actually thought the MCU had proven that this sort of thing wasn't necessary any more.
Yeah really any human MK character can be your audience surrogate. Sonya or Jax for instance.....
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Why is he needed though? Why can't that character just be Liu Kang?
(02-18-2021, 04:16 PM)ska oreo Wrote: My parents were usually cool with me playing the games.  Though my Mom did side-eye me once when she saw me play MK3 on my snes.  Which was funny since that was the one that was censored.

Your MK3 was censored? Did you have a bootleg one or something lol? Because the SNES MK2 and 3 are pretty cool still. It's the suuuuuper mediocre first game that was censored. What a mess that was..

(02-19-2021, 07:20 AM)freeman Wrote: Why is he needed though?  Why can't that character just be Liu Kang?

Basically...this. I thought "Cole" must've been some character that I'd never heard of from the games since I hadn't played any new ones in decades. How strange.

I almost think Scorpion should just be the main character at this point. He's always been the coolest and most interesting and he seems to have, in my limited knowledge of games post-MK3, become the new mascot of the franchise. And it wouldn't be whitewashing either..

(02-18-2021, 04:40 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Street Fighter II and Soul Caliber were/are so much better than MK.

It's 2021, grandpa, Mortal Kombat 11 is the most successful fighting game of its generation, only Tekken 7 comes close. And quite honestly, the add-on pack where Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa smugly hams it up for 2 hours while everyone growls at him not to betray them (Narrator: he totally betrays them) was more entertaining than just about any superhero film of the last decade.

As for this film's new guy original character do not steal, I'm betting he's Sub-Zero 2 ie. the nice one from MK2/3 who isn't an asshole like the original one who murdered Scorpion and his family before being killed by Scorpion in the tournament (and comes back from the dead as the so-bad-its-brilliant-ly named Noob Saibot).

It's true sin is seemingly having everyone from MK1 except the man, the myth, the ball-punching legend that is Johhny Cage. I guess the film just can't handle that much awesome or something.
(02-19-2021, 03:40 AM)kriegaffe Wrote: I watched the earlier MK movie with the kids a couple of weeks back and they loved it. It's not great, but it's pretty fun.

I think the new one has potential. I'm actually surprised it's hitting so many people's nostalgia buttons (at least on Twitter). The game series is still very much current and well known.

You should show them something like The Legend of the Red Dragon. Weird martial arts movie with much better fight scenes. Villain has a pretty cool gimmick in it.

(02-19-2021, 05:47 AM)kriegaffe Wrote: Having a random POV character that isn't part of the established lore reminds me a lot of Agent Myers from the first Hellboy. While I kinda get the logic of why it's needed, OMG they are such a black hole of a character compared to all the other wild characters.

I actually thought the MCU had proven that this sort of thing wasn't necessary any more.

Only it doesn't really make sense for Mortal Kombat since they're all being introduced to the world of Mortal Kombat when they enter the tournament.

Although Mortal Kombat is a property that I think would probably work better with completely original characters for a movie. While I'm sure some people care about the characters, the real draw of MK isn't the characters, it's bloody super powered fights in which people get their heads knocked off and their hearts ripped out. If you're doing a tournament fighter movie, and you don't want the audience to know whose going to win every fight before they even start, filling it with original characters is probably more the way to go. You could still get in all the shadow kicks, elemental powers, crazy kung fu, nut punches, ninjas, monsters, 80s movie references, and weird wizard stuff you want that way anyways.

(02-19-2021, 03:44 PM)UltraAnxiety Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 04:40 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Street Fighter II and Soul Caliber were/are so much better than MK.

It's 2021, grandpa, Mortal Kombat 11 is the most successful fighting game of its generation, only Tekken 7 comes close. And quite honestly, the add-on pack where Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa smugly hams it up for 2 hours while everyone growls at him not to betray them (Narrator: he totally betrays them) was more entertaining than just about any superhero film of the last decade.

As for this film's new guy original character do not steal, I'm betting he's Sub-Zero 2 ie. the nice one from MK2/3 who isn't an asshole like the original one who murdered Scorpion and his family before being killed by Scorpion in the tournament (and comes back from the dead as the so-bad-its-brilliant-ly named Noob Saibot).

It's true sin is seemingly having everyone from MK1 except the man, the myth, the ball-punching legend that is Johhny Cage. I guess the film just can't handle that much awesome or something.

No, those Smash Bros. games are. Have been since maybe the GameCube.

This is still the only Mortal Kombat movie anyone really needs

Anyway Sanada deserves a few cheeseball paydays I guess.  Like Chow Yun Fat in Bulletproof Monk, it is a bit sad that it's not something, y'know, better...
Sanada still looks great for a 60 year old. He's also in ARMY OF THE DEAD and BULLET TRAIN next so he's still got a few payday gigs lined up.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
I think Sanada is fantastic. He's one seriously charismatic dude. I can't believe he's 60. That they cast the coolest actor in the movie as Scorpion is a big win in my opinion. That they cast an actor like that as Scorpion PERIOD...bodes well. I'm far from writing this off yet. At the very LEAST Scorpion and Sub-zero look so cool that they could possibly carry the movie by themselves. Hopefully Reptile looks ninja-like or isn't in the film at all...because I hope that monster seen in that one quick cut isn't him. At the very least, this looks like it has all the makings of a future cult classic...if not an instant one.

Of all the characters they could've chosen to leave out of the film...Johnny Cage is probably the most expendable in my opinion. I still don't know if Cole is supposed to be Johnny's stand in or if they wanted an everyman character and felt thst Cole AND Johnny would be too many main characters of the caucasian persuasion.

Last time I watched the trailer, I realized Shang Tsung is played by Chin Han...the actor who played Lau in The Dark Knight. One of Shang Tsung's fatalities should be burning someone on top of a mountain of money..

He's also in "2012!"
He's also in CONTAGION!
One big pot.

I like how he straight up rats out *every* one of those gangsters.

Good with calculations.
he go to hongkong

far from

dent's

jurisdiction
A simple phone call would have sufficed.

We do not *allow* cell phones!!
very good mr lao ohohoho
(02-22-2021, 11:34 PM)Nooj Wrote: He's also in CONTAGION!

I need to see this..

CONTAGION's weird in that it's compulsively rewatchable and really compelling but also kind of peters out in the end. I suppose that's true of any "potential/realized" apocalypse story - it's easy making the catastrophe engaging, harder to make the mopping up so.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I keep picturing it as a found footage movie. I'm 99% sure that that's incorrect. Why would I think that?

I'd forgotten that actor was also in 2012. But I remembered him from that recent Dwayne Johnson movie Skyscraper. He's ok. I have no idea if he knows martial arts or not. I don't recall seeing him in any such roles. Robin Shou and Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa were the perfect Liu Kang and Shang Tsung. So far, the one's in the trailer aren't making as big of an impression. Hopefully the movie proves me wrong. Hell, I think Tagawa could still play Shang Tsung. Age isn't much of a factor with a character like that..

(02-23-2021, 09:59 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: I keep picturing it as a found footage movie. I'm 99% sure that that's incorrect. Why would I think that?
Maybe you're confusing it with QUARANTINE.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
(02-23-2021, 10:14 AM)hp pufncraft Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 09:59 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: I keep picturing it as a found footage movie. I'm 99% sure that that's incorrect. Why would I think that?
Maybe you're confusing it with QUARANTINE.

That's exactly what I was doing. Thank you..

So this is why.
https://twitter.com/BradFHenderson/statu...-hunter%2F
Man, that test audience must've been friends of the director because I seriously thought about walking out of my screening.
(02-23-2021, 05:54 PM)bradito Wrote: Man, that test audience must've been friends of the director because I seriously thought about walking out of my screening.

For a second I thought you meant Mortal Kombat. I was bummed..

No, the first MK was a fun time. I got hit by a pickup truck while riding my bike home from the movie, but still. It was more fun being pinned under a vehicle than seeing MK:A.
I don't care what anyone says...the original Mortal Kombat is a fun and enjoyable movie..

(02-23-2021, 06:10 PM)bradito Wrote: No, the first MK was a fun time. I got hit by a pickup truck while riding my bike home from the movie, but still. It was more fun being pinned under a vehicle than seeing MK:A.

Git' in under mah belly!
I just want 86 minutes of that.