Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE reason to not shop at Hobby Lobby
....and it's not the first time they've advocated for theocratic rule.

Quote:Hobby Lobby Places July 4 Newspaper Ad: ‘One Nation Under God’

The newspaper ad Hobby Lobby bought was also shared by its official social media pages and hosted on the company's website.

Of course there's this reason as well...
Hobby Lobby's Illegal Antiquities Shed Light On A Lost, Looted Ancient City In Iraq
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
I've been boycotting them for a couple of years now.
'make sure you pay attention to the awesome suits' - Nooj on UNDERWATER
I didn't know what the fuck they were until they entered the culture war. Any company that alienates a portion of its own customer base to platform its politics is a business that's run by fuckin' assholes who have no business running a business.
I just remember going into one of their locations a few years ago and they had a ton of missionary stuff (posters and such) at the front of their store. Venturing further inward, they had a bunch of pro-Trump crap. In particular, they had a display of individual letters (like for a garden display) that somebody had meticulously spelled out 'God Bless Donald Trump' with. I told the wife 'whatever you're looking for here, we'll find it someplace else.'
'make sure you pay attention to the awesome suits' - Nooj on UNDERWATER
I'm just gobsmacked that they actually thought the idea of taking out a full page ad like that was a good idea.

Was there anyone in their offices that stood up and said, "hey...maybe this isn't the best idea?"

Are they so oblivious and deluded to think that advocating for a theocratic government was something they needed to say out loud via a newspaper ad?

Note- I'm being rhetorical in the above questions....OF course they are religiously deluded.

A related question- how much $$ did the newspapers that ran those ads make?
I know that newspapers are struggling but still...
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
These folks aren't bright (Christians who support a godless tyrant like Trump always seem to be a few donuts short of a dozen [or they're just full of shit themselves]) but they're smart enough to know that the resulting viral backlash will give them more coverage. So if they buy ads in some cheap newspapers, enough Twitter tattletales will latch onto it (because Twitter tattletales are always scouring the cultural landscape for the latest and greatest outrage to get those sweet, sweet retweets), and then signal-boost it, reaching a significantly larger group of people than those print ads could've hoped to accomplish.

It's a clever way to market your brand, using your opponents as a means of spreading your message. If every Twitter narcissist just stopped trying to insinuate themselves into every front of the culture war, they'd cut this tactic off at the knees. But the marginal celebrity that comes with being some extremely online social media scold is more important to them than actually achieving social justice.
Brad gets it.
We should only discuss controversies here because we'll never go viral!

Well, hopefully we'll never go viral.
Sure, lets not bring up that a fairly large group of people want to turn the country into a biblical confederacy.

If we just don't talk about it, it will just go away on it's own....like Covid.
Yeah, but we already know that they suck. It's the same reason that I had to dump a bunch of liberal folks that I follow on Twitter who need to put Tucker Carlson's stupid fuckin' face in my feed every night. I don't need to be reminded 50 times a day that he's a piece of shit. I already know and I'm not going to forget.

The blowback from these Astroturfed social media controversies is that the bad guys get a bunch of free press, and the good guys look like whiners.
I just thought it was widely known the company was run by assholes who want theocratic rule. I've been staying out of their stores for years.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I'm reminded of the gun nut who took her rifle to graduation and then became a national right wing star partially because of the online blow back. It's not that we should just ignore them, but we have to engage without bolstering their profile as well.