Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BRAND NEW CHERRY FLAVOR (Rosa Salazar, Catherine Keener)
A somewhat trashy, supernatural dark comedy/LA satire from the Channel Zero people that grafts in some elements from Lynch's Mulholland Drive as well as a scene in episode 4 that I'm pretty sure David Cronenberg should be getting paid for somehow.

I am having a lot of fun with it! The humor mostly works, the atmosphere is sufficient, the direction is stronger than your average Netflix fare, and the main performances courtesy of Salazar and Keener are pretty dang great. Honestly, between Undone and now this, I'm thinking Salazar should be a big star. She's so good.

Curious to see others' thoughts here. I am halfway through and according to Brian Tallerico the show finishes stronger than it starts.
the empire never ended
I was just thinking about it. Thanks for the recommendation.
I only checked it out for Rosa Salazar. She's a Betty.

First episode was alright.
Git' in under mah belly!
I'm only one episode in, but I'm pretty much automatically in the tank for anything the CHANNEL ZERO people get their hands on. 'Late-period Lynch pastiche' makes it even more my kind of shit; MULHOLLAND for sure, but there's definitely shades of LOST HIGHWAY and INLAND EMPIRE too. Keener crushing it so far, and its weird seeing Jason from THE GOOD PLACE in something that isn't THE GOOD PLACE.
I liked it a lot, although full disclosure, I am definitely automatically biased towards the phrase "Rosa Salazar in a Lynchian horror show". It never quite reaches the highs of Lynch (Lynch's non-horror works are somehow more disturbing than this horror show and, uh, 99% of all horror), but how could it - and it's still a lot of fun! It does feel at times the show's randomness might eat itself alive, but it mostly sticks the landing with its weirdo commentary on becoming a different person in order to succeed in showbiz. Salazar (can't get enough of her), Catherine Keener (once again channeling that sweet, nurturing yet simultaneously sinister as hell mother vibe she had in Get Out) and Eric Lange (not too familiar with the dude, but want to see more of his work after this) are all pretty great in it.
(08-17-2021, 11:14 AM)WilderHackman Wrote: but it mostly sticks the landing with its commentary on becoming a different person in order to succeed in showbiz.

You just helped me pinpoint another thing this show reminds me of: STARRY EYES.
I'm liking it pretty well two episodes in. On top of the influences pointed out here I think it's got some real Bruce Wagner vibes with it's dark view of Hollywood.

It's pretty humorous throughout but I especially got a good laugh out of, "That's not the kitten I threw up yesterday, is it?"

I'd been wondering why the title was so familiar to me till I saw it's based on a novel-- turns out I picked the book up at some point and never got around to reading it.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Finished this yesterday, and it managed to maintain the weird without it overstaying its welcome. And Netflix is calling it a limited series, but there's certainly an opening for a second season if they want.
Just this guy, you know?
I am 4 eps in. Rose Salazar has such expressive eyes. Hope we get an Alita sequel someday.

Oh and i barfed up a kitten.
All I know about this show is some chick gets fisted. Would be perfectly normal. Difference is her "vagina" is on the side of her chest. and it's more like his arm up to the elbow. Hard to take the show seriously after that.
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
(08-18-2021, 08:15 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: All I know about this show is some chick gets fisted. Would be perfectly normal. Difference is her "vagina" is on the side of her chest. and it's more like his arm up to the elbow. Hard to take the show seriously after that.

Ok FINE, I will watch this.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(08-18-2021, 06:50 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Finished this yesterday, and it managed to maintain the weird without it overstaying its welcome.  And Netflix is calling it a limited series, but there's certainly an opening for a second season if they want.

Yeah, just finished this, and liked it pretty much all the way through. It actually did a much better job of weaving its story threads together all the way through to the end than I was expecting it to. The humor and tone and even the mythology and involved plotting of it all ended up working for me.

My biggest criticism of the ending is that it absolutely feels a lot more like a S1 ending than a limited series ending. Not sure if the creatives fell too in love with their project and just felt like they had to leave a window open for more or if this is actually the complete ending that they wanted for the story. I like open-ended resolutions sometimes but this is a whole other level of open-ended for something that is supposed to be the final conclusion. And maybe if it had been set up or executed a little differently it would feel more satisfying, but as it is it feels more like, "Okay, so where's the next episode?"
the empire never ended
(08-17-2021, 11:25 AM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote:
(08-17-2021, 11:14 AM)WilderHackman Wrote: but it mostly sticks the landing with its commentary on becoming a different person in order to succeed in showbiz.

Yeah, that's a very apt comparison, probably even moreso than Mulholland Drive.

(08-18-2021, 06:43 PM)Felix Wrote: I am 4 eps in. Rose Salazar has such expressive eyes. Hope we get an Alita sequel someday.

Oh and i barfed up a kitten.

Yes, I would love an Alita sequel. And an Undone sequel. And a Brand New Cherry Flavor sequel.

I...I love Rosa Salazar.
This was alright. It's weird, the show is doing weird things, but the atmosphere is never really weird. It never seems to be doing anything with mood really despite all the time it has to do stuff. Like I didn't know this was the Channel Zero people, but I'd definitely say this never feels as weird as some of those Channel Zero episodes despite on the surface seeming more weird than the Channel Zero stuff I've seen. It has this kind of Lynch and Cronenberg feeling to it, but it's drained of that feeling they'd bring to it. Like there's stuff in this right out of Videodrome but it does have that perverse feeling to it Cronenberg brings. Wish it wasn't missing that something extra, but overall it was enjoyable. Feels like it needed someone like Brandon Cronenberg running the show.

I feel like I've seen some of this show before, I can't place it at all, but I feel like the stuff with the curse at the start of the show and how it isn't going as fast as the person want is something I've seen on something and it was really bugging me because I couldn't remember what it was.

I don't get the branding of this as a Limited Series given that ending seems like it's setting up a season second...which would just make this a normal Netflix show.
Finished this up last night.  I enjoyed this quite a bit; it's been a long time for a show to get me to binge, but I connected with this one right when our first kitten is violently vomited by our "heroine."

What I liked:  I really liked how much of a slowburn this is.  It does not go all in on the gross outs immediately,instead relying on mood and character work; I think its been said already that Rosa Salazar is MVP.  You understand exactly why Roy is into her: There's just something about her that makes you want to follow her to what is likely your destructive end (Roy did say he always dies in his movies).  I mean she's a fucking star, and emotes with her eyes like no one's business.  So obviously she should get a Marvel film, right?  I'm only joking (..sigh not really).  Catherine Keener brings it too.  Channeling her typical warm hearted mother vibe into something off kilter, and ambiguous.  You never really know where she stands, which makes her and Salazar's scenes really great to watch.  I even really liked how they handled Lou: He could have been a one note sleaze ball representing the Harvey Weinsteins of the industry, but Eric Lange plays him with just enough humanity that you do end up feeling bad for him.

And when this show gets gross...it gets gross.  Not gonna lie, this goes full Cronenberg, particularly a certain scene that's sure to be this show's calling card.  It doesn't overdo it, but when it does it's really upsetting and gross and I was here for it.

What I didn't: Yeah I'm with you on the ending. And I'll even go one step further and say it doesn't really work as a cliffhanger to a potential 2nd season or an open ended ending: It just ends.  We spend the entire season getting ready for this confrontation...and then doesn't really happen.  I don't know what you can do with a second season given what happens by the end of the series, but it doesn't really feel like a satisfying conclusion.  There's a lot that the show builds up about Lisa's own tendencies to abuse others to get what she wants--but then it kinda does nothing with it.  It's just an odd way of ending this show that I have to believe that there are plans to do something more with it, but I don't know.  I guess we'll see.

But this is definitely a case of the journey being more important than the destination.

(08-17-2021, 11:25 AM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote:

Starry Eyes was exactly what I was thinking.

I think both of these stories prove that you can do feminist focused storytelling without resorting to one-dimensional rapists and perfect heroines.  Above all else, women characters need to be written with agency: they are as capable as being awful as they're male counterparts.  And I think both stories do a good job of showing what ambition can do to someone.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
(08-23-2021, 01:20 PM)ska oreo Wrote: Starry Eyes was exactly what I was thinking.

I think both of these stories prove that you can do feminist focused storytelling without resorting to one-dimensional rapists and perfect heroines.  Above all else, women characters need to be written with agency: they are as capable as being awful as they're male counterparts.  And I think both stories do a good job of showing what ambition can do to someone.
OK sure sure that does sound right but are you sure it wouldn't have been better if every bad thing she did was because of a magic gas that a man controlled? Wouldn't that have been more satisfying?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(08-24-2021, 06:40 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(08-23-2021, 01:20 PM)ska oreo Wrote: Starry Eyes was exactly what I was thinking.

OK sure sure that does sound right but are you sure it wouldn't have been better if every bad thing she did was because of a magic gas that a man controlled? Wouldn't that have been more satisfying?

ah shit bro, you right.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence

(08-23-2021, 01:20 PM)ska oreo Wrote: What I didn't: Yeah I'm with you on the ending. And I'll even go one step further and say it doesn't really work as a cliffhanger to a potential 2nd season or an open ended ending: It just ends.  We spend the entire season getting ready for this confrontation...and then doesn't really happen.  I don't know what you can do with a second season given what happens by the end of the series, but it doesn't really feel like a satisfying conclusion.  There's a lot that the show builds up about Lisa's own tendencies to abuse others to get what she wants--but then it kinda does nothing with it.  It's just an odd way of ending this show that I have to believe that there are plans to do something more with it, but I don't know.  I guess we'll see.

But this is definitely a case of the journey being more important than the destination.

Yeah I'm with you on that. It doesn't work as an ending to the season OR as a cliffhanger. The story just kind of peters out, so what would a second season even entail? It feels like everyone's moved on.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
The second season would be them fighting more. But I guess in South America, and without any of the movie stuff, although that played a surprisingly insignificance role in this beyond being a reason two characters ended up clashing. Boro (now in a new body) still needs the same thing, and Nova knows who her mother is now and has some powers now. Guess you could go Godfather 2 and also have flashbacks to 1000 years earlier when Boro and the white jaguar god meet.

Just saw that this show is basically just an adaptation of about a forth of the book it's based on. So we'll probably get two or three more seasons of this show if it does well.
Apparently the show only covers the first 66(???) pages of the book.  Clearly a lot of stuff was adapted out to streamline the show, but it does sound like we'll inevitably get a 2nd season (or at least a "Part 2")

https://slate.com/culture/2021/08/brand-...anges.html
Finally finished. Rosa Salazar is so good in this; fiery, vulnerable, seductive, and at times downright frightening. Star-making performance as far as I'm concerned. Her eyes are so ridiculously expressive. She's definitely the MVP - I don't think the show works without her - but I thought the guy who played Radzinsky in LOST was pretty great too; he's kind of one-note in the early goings, but by the end there's some pathos there. Fisting sequence aside, I definitely agree that this is nowhere near as strange as CHANNEL ZERO, but its a great show. Ending on a Steely Dan instrumental... [chef's kiss]. Hopefully we get more.
Yeah Salazar needs to get all of the roles after this. She's really good at portraying morally ambiguous characters.