Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post-Release Xmen 2 Thread
Quote:

Troutio:
...but special mention must go to Romjin-Stamos. I have long thought she was a weak actress, but she brought Mystique presence, menace and well, mystique along with the requisite T&A on this occaision. Well done.

I agree, but what impressed me more than Stamos' acting was Mystique's character development.

She was SO much more than a simple voiceless minion/eye candy like the first movie.

For instance, when she (in the form of Senator Kelly) said "ERIC? Eric...Lensherr...Magneto?" when she realised he was still alive. Excellent. It was indicative of a much deeper relationship between the two than simply master/servant.

Also, when she tried to seduce Wolverine, and one of my favorite scenes, when she joked in a corner with an amused Magneto about Rogue's hair streak.

Best line ever: "We love what you've done to your hair." - Magneto.
You are quite right - yet another thing X2 does well is to have each character act under the steam of their own motivations and knowledge - no mean feat in a cast of this size. It led to a wonderful sense of unpredictability and freshness, where the first movie suffered a little.

Given the way she is revealed, I am really irritated that Deathstrike was featured in the promotional materials. Keeping her secret until the finale would have made for an even better experience. Perhaps I ask too much.
Damn reading this stuff makes me look forward to 7:30 tomorrow night when I'm the theater to see it......awesome...
Quote:

Sean Bateman, Master of Hyperbole:
Am I just supposed to avoid the active topic thread until tomorrow night, then? Jesus.

Fuck you, will power, man, WILL POWER.
Just got back from the B'ham screening.

HOLY LORDY!

It's too fucking good. It's all perfect... everything... nothing is wrong. All is right with the world. I can die now, thank you Bryan Singer and company. Thank you.
Quote:

Quote:

JARO BORANO:
keeping away from trailers, spoilers and other such tripe for this film - looking forward to it

Why are you in this thread?

*sigh*

Thank you, Mr. Singer. Thank you.

(I can't really convey my thoughts into tangible words right now.)
So who else thought the ending was kind of heavy-handed? As if there weren't enough hints about Phoenix during the whole thing, they have to ram it down our throat in the last scene as well...but the rest of the movie was great. Wolverine owned X-Men, Nightcrawler and Xavier owned X2!

I wouldn't call the last scene "ramming". It was very subtle. To the casual filmgoer, it looked almost like an optical illusion. I think it was grade-A perfect.

Yeah, to the comic book geek it was ramming because you saw it coming. But, if this flick was only aimed at geeks, they'd all be wearing spandex, now wouldn't they?
...but I'm not a comic book geek, all the X-Men info I've obtained are from the cartoons (and I don't even watch that any more). So I'm speaking as a casual fan of the franchise, and even for someone like me I got the message loud and clear throughout the movie. BTW, I was referring to the whole sequence, not just the phoenix pattern in the lake.

I realized the Jean Grey had to die as a forshadowing of what's to come, but logically why couldn't she have lifted the jet off while inside it? Instead, she took her time to walk outside, to say goodbye, and then perform the deed.

EDIT: You didn't see Gambit's name on the computer screen?

EDIT2: I guess "ramming" was not the correct term to use, I just thought the hints were a bit excessive that's all.

Oh, and I cannot thank Nick enough for the chance to see this flick. Thanks, oh mighty overlord (spelled it right this time), and while I cannot thank you enough, hopefully my paypal cash coming soon will fit just right.
Quote:

Zalasta:
I realized the Jean Grey had to die as a forshadowing of what's to come, but logically why couldn't she have lifted the jet off while inside it? Instead, she took her time to walk outside, to say goodbye, and then perform the deed.

That's a question Wolverine and Cyclopes both ask at the end of the film. Obviously, this film doesn't answer that question. It was left open.

SEQUEL TIME!

My impression was that Xavier (and thus the writers) made the decision to evade answering it, but I don't want to nitpick, I just wanted to point out the "what if" scenario.
I say Hellfire Club as the next adversaries since we know the Phoenix will be rising...
Oh yeah, much more screen time for Colossus...
Got to see the movie earlier tonight, thanks to some passes from Nick!

I’ve got to tell you, I wasn’t buying all the hype when I went into the movie. Boy was I ever wrong. This movie was amazing. Both in character depth and adaptation from its source material.

I haven’t been this wrong about a movie since Fight Club (I was terrified that they would butcher that movie, in the end they stayed as close to the source material as anyone could have hoped).

Nightcrawler’s opening scene was freakin awesome (that’s the only way to describe it). The CGI was seamless; I was pumped from then on. The attention to detail was amazing. I could almost think he was the centerpiece of the movie.

Magneto… Well I think it’s safe to say Ian McKellan is one of, if not the, best actors making movies right now. Every single scene with Magneto was intense, even when he didn’t speak. You could tell that under that cool, driven outward presence was a calculating machine. At this point one doesn’t even need to comment on McKellan, you are pretty much guaranteed a spectacular performance.

Storm was great this time around. I wasn’t entirely convinced that she wasn’t retarded in the first movie.

All-in-all I think everyone did an excellent job in the acting department.

Only a few things disappointed me, and disappointed probably isn’t the best word. First, the Wolverine and Lady Deathstrike fight seemed to be edited badly, minor disappointment, I know. Second, actually, there isn’t a second.

Colossus anyone?

Phoenix at the end, in the water?! People in the movie theater were saying, “What’s that supposed to be in the water?”, all I could think of was, “If you only knew!”
First of all, thanks for the passes, Nick! You don't know how much I appreciated getting to see X2 here in Nashville...primed, enthusiastic crowd, lots of applause. Wonderful movie experience.

I'm not going to go through and reiterate the greatness of this film, everyone else is doing a faboo job. But I was thrilled that they didn't sacrifice the little character moments, those were what I cherished about the first one...and now, we get it by the wheelbarrow. Is it the best comic film? I don't know...I love the original Superman dearly. But X2 is the most realistic, unforced, emotionally honest comic book movie ever. Wow.
A muddled third act weakened what was otherwise a SUPERB superhero movie.

Top Five Bits:

5 The cameos (especially Hank McCoy and Franklin Richards (!))

4 The Nightcrawler opening

3 Super-catty Magneto

2 Wolverine goes apeshit on Stryker's troops in the mansion

1 Wolverine vs Deathstrike

Worst Five Bits:

5 Bizarre time - Boston is not that close to Westchester, so what happened in all that lost time when Storm and Jean were in Boston?

4 Cyclops talking to Jean through the Professor - crowd erupts in laughter

3 Zooming in on Spock's casket on the Genesis Planet at the end... wait, I mean...

2 Colossus is not Russian!!!! (Total nitpick but COME ON!)

1 I can't think of another thing

Jean couldn't lift the plane from within because she knew it would take time to lift, by which point the water would be there.
Actually, I thought the fight between Mystique and Wolverine in the original was a lot better as well as better choreographed than the one between Wolverine and Deathstrike, but that's just me.
This fight had a brutal intensity that I just loved. It was like the final Spidey/Goblin fight streeeeeetched out.

By the way, X2 has made me realize how shitty the first movie is.
I just got back from the midnight screening, and I must say that I was a bit underwhelmed. I don't know what it was, I'll have to think upon it a bit more; but it felt like too much. I liked where it was going, but suddenly I realized that 2 hours in, I didn't really care at all where it was heading. The "plot" kicked in a bit late, and by that time I could have cared less about Xavier vs. Cerebro, or Logan vs. Stryker.

Or maybe it was the fact that I felt like complete shit, and am the sickest that I have been in a long time. I will check it out again on DVD, maybe I'll form a second opinion.

I did like the last shot though.
X2 opened here 2 days ago. I have seen it 2 times now. The second time I loved it even more. It´s a fantastic movie, with no wrong stpes.

Bryan Singer has really grow as an action director.

It´s like X2: The golden years, directed by Chris Claremont (circa 1980-1985) And that is sooo good.
Way better than the first one. That's all I have to say right now.
Wow. Unbelievable film, must see again in a few hours, literally way too much cool stuff to even remember right now.

Every character is bigger and better. Every action sequences is ten times better than the best action sequence of the first film. I love the first film. I think it laid the perfect groundwork, and the quiet moments still very much work for me. I love how this film tied into EVERYTHING that happened before. I'll discuss them all later.

Just a great great film. I never expected them to have the balls to go the Pheonix route. Even with the little hints and looks from Jean in the first film.

Ian McKellen is unbelievably good, Pyro is a revelation, Mystique is better and a great character.

Xavier? A power beyond imagination, and three cheers for the films having the intelligence to finally show us exactly why Charles Xavier is the "most powerful mutant alive". They made him real, terrifyingly powerful, and not above using his power in some semi-dubious ways.

There are literally just too many awesome moments to name right now since its 3:30. But here are the ones that are whizzing around my head right now.

Spoilers for anyone stupid enough to be reading a post release thread before they've seen the film

1.Wolverine in the mansion, but especially "You picked the wrong houe bub!" as he pops the claws and stabs a soldier to the refrigerator.

2.Magneto shows why he is one of the greatest villains in comics and especially on film, tempting Pyro like Satan, focusing on his pride. "You are a God among insects. Never forget that." is the greatest line of the film for me, a perfect illustration of the character and the film's conflict.

3.Wolverine flashes back to the Weapon X program, and the final shot of him naked, confused, enraged, and covered in blood. As disturbing as it was always supposed to be.

4.Singer and company continue to best the comics in showing exactly how powerful these people would be in real life. My favorite? The last stand of soldiers awaits Magneto, only to have him pull the pins on all their grenades and blow them to bits.

5. Likewise Storm piloting the jet away from the pursuing aircraft, leaving a minefield of tornados in her path.

Oh so many many more, but I must sleep and see it again.
Just got back and a damn fine film indeed.

Nightcrawler was the shit. Alan Cummings is excellent. I loved how he said the Lord prayers before stepping into danger. that took guts. Kudos to Singer and the gang.

I haven't seen anyone mentioning the score. It was superb all the way around. Not as good as Superman's but then what is?

Too much to think about, need sleep.

As good as it is, its not THE best comic book movie. That title still belongs to my beloved Superman.
It does beat the poopy pants off of Spider-Man, a fine film as well.

Marvel has finally gotten their collective heads out of their asses and gave us a soon-to-be genre classic.

They've come along way from "Captain America" with Matt Salinger sporting plastic ears and the cheap-cheapie Corman produced "Fantastic Four."

I LOVE FAMKE
Quote:

SPOILERS FOR THOSE READING ACTIVE THREADS

If you start each post like that you cannot see what they type in active threads. If you have never looked at that before go to the main message board and look for the link in the upper right hand corner. You will see what I mean.

The thread title says POST X-MEN RELEASE, that means those of us who have seen it are going to talk about the fucker.
Read it, learn it live it and stay out of this thread, until you've seen the flick.

IT'S OFFICIAL: YOU ARE ANNOYING!
Nice movie - I too love Famke. Laughed a lot at Leonard Nimoy reading the final voice-over.

I'd like to second the back end of Zod's second post, by the by...
WOW! I am floored. What a movie. The Nightcrawler opening scene was as close to comic book geekasms I have ever come.

Wolverine was perfect. He killed ppl, and looked very pissed while doing it. 'nuff said

Pyro was great, i really liked him. Great acting by Aaron Stanford.

I felt Rogue was a little useless, but some good relationship building with her and bobby.

I was very impressed how all the different storylines were handled. This could have easily fell apart if it were a lesser director. Singer handled all the lines of action very well...storm and jean in boston, prof and cyke with magneto, wolverine with the kids. The only complaint I had was that sometimes the movie felt a little too jumpy early on. The jumps were kind of unnatural early on.

Singer, Cudmore (Colossus), and De Santo were actually at the midnight screening in Westwood, which was kinda cool.

Oh, and just to clarify...that was a Phoenix at the bottom of the ocean in the last shot right?
Yes, that was a phoenix, and judging from the last lines of the movie, it would seem they're gonna make Dark Phoenix another step of evolution instead of an alien entity, which sounds rather cool to me, if a bit influenced by japanimation.

As for Jason, the name is certainly an homage to Jason Wyngarde, but I don't see why the next one couldn't feature Hellfire Club, especially since I don't see the filmmakers trying to go with the Shi'ars.

Btw, anybody noticed the names on the screen when Mystique is hacking Stryker's computer? Lotsa X-men names (including Jamie Madrox and Remy LeBeau) and there's even a folder named Franklin Richards.
You will believe a bird of fire can rise again.

God damn. Warning to Neo. Logan has your number. X2 will rule the summer. I cannot wait to see this again tonight. All those that are bringing up the Hellfire Club, did you notice that Dr. Henry McCoy was talking to none other than Sebastian Shaw, who is of course the Black King. Also on the computer next to Franklin Richards' file was a file for Omega Red, and a few other interesting ones. Hopefully I'll get a better chance to notice all the inside things during my second viewing.

OH, when wolvie stabbed that soldier against the fridge, i actually yelled out because i wasnt expecting that kind of violence. I LOVED IT.
Quote:

Blunt:
Yes, that was a phoenix, and judging from the last lines of the movie, it would seem they're gonna make Dark Phoenix another step of evolution instead of an alien entity, which sounds rather cool to me, if a bit influenced by japanimation.

As for Jason, the name is certainly an homage to Jason Wyngarde, but I don't see why the next one couldn't feature Hellfire Club, especially since I don't see the filmmakers trying to go with the Shi'ars.

Btw, anybody noticed the names on the screen when Mystique is hacking Stryker's computer? Lotsa X-men names (including Jamie Madrox and Remy LeBeau) and there's even a folder named Franklin Richards.

In the comic they have found out that there is a second stage of the mutant evolution. Beast and Emma Frost have both gone through this. Beast became even more beast like, his hands changing to paws, feet to hooves, and face looking like a cat. Emma Frost is able to change her form to diamond, without it on she can still use her psychic powers. Maybe this is what they are going off for the movie. I didn't think they could pull off the Phoenix Saga how we saw it in the comics. It would be just too massive. Though what is going on in Ultimate X-men, seems more similar.
Lots of great tongue in cheek moments (like in the first one with the middle finger claw and the "you're a dick." comment.) The "we love what you've done with your hair" was pretty funny. What was really funny was when Mystique gave the finger to all of Stryker's men when she slid through the door.

You almost feel sorry for Deathstrike. Well, more than almost I think. Sure, she tried to make julian fries out of Logan but she was being controlled. I don't think she'll be coming back, unless someone decides to use her as a statue.
AWESOME!!!!

When Nightcrawler is annhilating ("Is that a good word"Wink the presidents guards in slo-mo in Oval Office that was fucking stunning. Excellent Actor too who played him. I LOVED when he saved Rouge!

This movie made the X-Men like they should be! Playing off each others powers to become even stronger. Also the Violence and Adult humor was a tad more rampant in this which is always a good thing

This felt like a real Comic book movie, they went too town with there powers!

I wanted to see Iceman thou :\

Color me Impressed
Yeah the Nightcrawler scene was so fucking awesome. I'd also like to see Iceman, not this "I'm Bobby Drake, but you can call me Iceman" shit. I want to see ICEman. What happened to when he would take ice form when he used his powers? They had a pretty good description of it in the novelization.