Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post-Release Xmen 2 Thread
SJR's review: <a href="http://www.chud.com/reviews/x2sjr.php3" target="_blank">http://www.chud.com/reviews/x2sjr.php3</a>
Ahhhh...X2...How I love thee....let me count the ways:

1. Wolverine's true berserker rage !!!!!! Shown in full effect.

2. NightCrawler - truly recognized on film in full glory...an excellent achievement in visual F/X..his initial scene is incredible !!!

3. Some very, very cool action set pieces !!! Too many to mention.

4. More of the BlackBird !!!

5. A cool and inventive storyline !!

THANKS for the pass Nick !!!! You were dead on with your review as well.

(Edited due to typo...oops..)

X2 was seen last night at an absolutely PACKED theater.

In short, the film kicks unholy amounts of ass. Best film of the year so far, no contest.

If the sour odor of B.O. hadn't been continuously wafting over me from the rather large people seated behind me, and had the annoying teenagers seated next to me not said "Duuuuuude! Awwwwwww!" everytime a "cool" car was on screen - go see 2 Fast 2 Furious and stay out of my motherfucking X2 screening if you're into that, I'd like to pay attention to the story I'm seeing, thank you - it would have been the most perfect movie theater experience I've had since walking blind into The Matrix.
Seeing it tonight.
I'm eating light today for minimum damage during my anticipated pants shitting.
Better than the first, but fairly forgettable, thanks mostly to the convoluted plot. Would also have preferred more gore (e.g. Wolverine vs soldiers and Magneto and grenade pins) as opposed to the standard A-Team non-injuries after Pyro's attack.
Quote:

Jimmy the Saint:
Better than the first, but fairly forgettable, thanks mostly to the convoluted plot. Would also have preferred more gore (e.g. Wolverine vs soldiers and Magneto and grenade pins) as opposed to the standard A-Team non-injuries after Pyro's attack.

For a PG-13 movie it was very violent. When Magneto killed the guard I couldn´t belive they got away with this rating.
Saw it at the Atlanta screening last night (Thanks again for the passes, Nick). Wow, great movie. Delivered exactly what I needed.

What struck me more about the movie was the amount of violence that they showed. So much more than the first one and although it tamed down a bit (Pyro and the cops) there was much death and mayhem passed around.

In other words, when Wolverine impales the guy against the fridge, you knew this was not your typical movie where nobody died. The movie's feel definitely changed at that point. I lost count but I wonder how many special forces guys he took out, but there is not doubt that none of them made it out alive. Also, Magneto's escape scene was great. Not only on just the wonder of the damage that he could cause with just that little metal, but also the pure joy you could see in his face.

I was glad in how Mystique's character was expanded. It showed a depth of personality that was missing in the first one. From reactions and comments to just side looks with other characters. She was great. Nice ass, too.

Nightcrawler was outstanding. I didn't know what to expect, never really followed the comics, but his entrance was outstanding and the character was amusing and intriguing. He definitely kicked ass.

Lady Deathstrike. Don't know much about her character but she's not coming back (unless her new super power is to be a paperweight) and that is a pity. Her fight with Wolverine was vicious and great. I'm not sure as to what her role was in the X-Men universe but I wish that they would have kept her longer.

Ok, I will leave the rest to the Chewers who were there last night who actually followed the comic and know that they're talking about.
My wife used my pass last night. I got to baby-sit. Anyway, she loved it. She said it's the best comic movie ever (she hadn't read Nick's review) and she said we have to get a sitter and see it together this weekend. She mentioned the violence and wondered about the rating, said there was just enough Cyclops, and that Nightcrawler kicked ass. I wanted to see this before, but I really want to see it now.
Not enough gore? This isn't Blade II, but for cryin out loud, Magneto rips the iron out of a man's body! That's about as graphic as I've ever seen a PG-13 get. Magneto was a cold, sadistic bastard in this movie. And I liked it. It played up his character even more. His break from the prison was one of many moments that garnered applause from the audience.

Oh. My. God. This movie is the modern definition of crowd-pleaser. Rousing entertainment. The kind of grand adventure in a genre so ripe with cliche that you'll truly say once again "They don't make'em like this anymore." I swear, if this movie wasn't based on a comic book movie it'd be one of those adventures that get considered for Oscars back when the Academy still cared about films in general, not just the ones with the best campaigns. This is Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. This is Empire Strikes Back. This is a Babe Ruth-knock-out-of-Yankee-Stadium home run. In terms of high adventure, this is "The Man Who Would Be King". The acting is superb. The dialouge is rich. Every character feels believable. No cartoonish villans, every side of the issue is presented by people who believe they are the ones who are in the right, and honestly fell that way. This movie delivers on its chracters, and the action scenes are there only to advance plot and build character, and that's the best kind of aciton sequences. I loved the invasion of the school even more than I loved Helm's Deep. This movie pushes PG-13 to its absolute limits. Wolverine hacks and slashes through countless soldiers. Mystique proves why she's a fan favorite. Magneto is a vicious but persuasive bastard. Cyclops shows emotion. Iceman and Pyro have a great since of friendly rivalry that quickly develops to resentment. And Anna Paquin runs around for fifteen minutes in a nightie. What's not to love?

This movie redefines comic book genre. It restores the sense of epic adventure and grand-scale story-telling that's been absent since Superman II. This is definatly one of my top 10 favorite movies ever made.

Also, for those of you who have seen it and are familar with the X-Universe, let's take a moment and admire the huge balls that Bryan Singer has for that final image. I thought I had reached the peak of geeking out in a theatre when I saw AotC with Yoda's fight scene. No, the climax of this movie had me squealing like a little girl. The fans in the crowd applauded at that last image. My friend and I walked out of the theatre in stunned silence. I knew this movie would be better than the first, but I wasn't expecting to walk in and see a classic. A masterpiece. A genre-defining movie. Part two in what is destinded to become one of the new classic trilogies. This movie had guts, knew it, and showed them. It took chances and built characters and had themes, three things increasingly absent from your normal summer blockbuster money-maker. This film is something special, and I'd like to thank Bryan Singer and his talented cast and crew for delivering to me something I had only dreamed could have existed as a child. Ever since I was litte, I'd always wanted an X-Men movie series. Now, not only do I have one really good film and one bona-fied classic, I've got another one waiting in the wings. God bless you, Bryan Singer, for making dreams come true again.

The bar is set. This is the movie that every other event film this summer will be measured against. And if any movie this summer can even come close to achieveing the epicness of X2, then we, as film fans, are in for a real treat these next few months.
I was surprised by how much I loved Brian Cox's Stryker. He's really ruthless, a man really twisted into evil by his hatred of mutants. He's not some magelomaniac, just a driven soldier in a war he sees between humans and mutants. Two scenes really struck me.

His talk with Xavier when he introduces his vegetable son. The hurt in his voice, the controlled anger as he tells of the ways Jason tortured his wife and he, how she took a drill to her head. This is "the mutant problem" more human than the comics have rarely made it.

And as he sets up his soldiers for the last stand at Cerebro, he tells them "Kill anyone who tries to get inside, even if its me." Dedication, a willingness to sacrifice, and a complete understanding of the enemy he's up against. Great villain.

And was anyone else sort of surprised that Xavier and company just left Jason to die like that? Its decidedly un-superhero, but it makes sense in the context of this war they have going in the films. Nice touch.
Thoroughly enjoyed this film, definitely an evolution from it's solid predecessor. And there's no audience like a 12:01am premier audience.

So much went into the planning of this film. The plotting and honing of the script was excellent.

Some of my own thoughts (which may mirror others, as I haven't read every post in here just yet...):

1. Wolverine. Excellent reprisal, again showing why Jackman is indeed the perfect casting choice. Improved on the already great job in X1.

2. The "Seduction" of Pyro. Always wondered why they started him as a "good guy". Was hoping they would draw him to the "dark side". And goddammit, when he takes just a moment to give in and lay waste. "You are a god among insects." This was genius.

3. The rise of the Phoneix. Though I was not a fan of this concept years back, it just makes more sense in the film. Loved it. REQUIRES a third film.

4. Nightcrawler. Sadly, he shines brightest in the jawdropping intro, then is relegated to more of an observer role. Still, excellent work, loved his development.

5. Colossus. When he told Logan, "I'll go with you", I was hoping he actually would do so. I need more of him in the sequel. Was expecting a Russian accent, but it was not nearly as important as seeing him change form. Nice to see him as the protector.

6. Hank McCoy. Why is that all we see of him? Saw Remy Le Beau among other names I didn't have time to read on one of the computer screens Mystique was sifting through. Katanga said there was a Sebastian Shaw appearance. Missed that too.

7. Magneto. Still understandable in his viewpoint. Was glad to see him in his moments of glory. Needed a bit more of him, but the slate was pretty damn full. McKellan's recent franchise outings = the stuff of legend.

8. The moral "triangle". It was already intriguing enough to have Magneto and Xavier's students working in tandem for a time. It was another to watch Wolvie and Mystique interact, and Rogue and Magneto. Interesting indeed.

A few, short negatives:

1. Blackbird. Too damn much.

2. Xavier = Princess in distress. Revisited. I fuly expected him to overpower the mental illusions of the Stryker kid and snap the former student out of his lobotomized coma. instead, he was a puppet for the villains. Again.

3. Cyclops' complete disappearance. Whethter or not Marsden is a strong lead, or that the X2 role for Cyclops wasn't meant to be large... the Cyclops of the comics was far more of a leader, and his continual non-presence really surprised me. I was seriously thankful to see him resurface.

4. Rotation of previous "cameo" actors. From slightly larger cameos, like X1's Pyro, to just faces like Kitty Pryde and Jubilee... I don't see why with all the planning they did that there was not a chacne for consistency in these roles. A minor nitpick, as are all the nitpicks, except this last one.

5. Drawn out finale. All of the action had subsided, yet there was still apparently more work to do. It's not that the visit to the President, or the almost-visible Phoneix being (re)born was not a solid concept... it just felt as though it was taking too long to complete.

Such an enjoyable film though. I grinned widely many, many times. There indeed WAS quite a bit of violence. It certainly pushed the envelope for PG-13 anyway. Not that I minded in the SLIGHTEST when he "cut loose" as he promised on the X1.5 interview.

God, I need to see this again.
Quote:

cesar:

Nice ass, too.

Cesar cuts to the heart of the matter. Great film, every character from the original was expanded upon, the new ones were smoothly brought into the story. Fantastic action sequences, depth, everything you could want from a sequel. Bring on part 3.
The grenade pins thing was RIGHT ON.
Quote:

Nick Nunziata:
The grenade pins thing was RIGHT ON.

I swear, people stood up and cheered when this happened. I didn't, but I di applaud. That scene was brutal and honest to Magneto's character, as is his escape form the plastic prison (another crowd pleaser.)

One scene I loved that not many have mentioned: right before Xavier is captured and he's talking to Magneto, and Magneto keeps skirting around the issue of what Stryker knows, and he finally gives in and says "I'm sorry, Charles." Right there, you see their friendship shine through their differing viewpoints. The look in his eyes, the tragic expression of sorrow coarsing through his face, the red under his eyes, it was perfect. It was right there that you saw that Magneto wasn't an evil person; he wanted to protect the school and Cerebro just as much as Xavier did, and you could see by the look on his face that it was eating him up inside that he gave in to torture and told them "everything."

I liked Mardsen a lot more in this movie. He didn't have much to do until the end, but when called upon he impressed me.

And that final image...God, I just about cried. I was just...wow, I wasn't expecting that. That was pitch-perfect. Of course, for a moment there, at the end, when Xavier is teaching the class and looks off for a second, and I heard a girl's voice go "Professer?" I was almost sure they were going to do a flashback to Jean's first day at the school. If they had, I would've been a fucking mess.

I'm seeing this again at 4:00, and then again later tihs evening. This movie is quickly becoming a contender for my top 10 favorite list.

[edited because I'm too fucking estatic to proofread at this point]

I wish they would introduce Forge. I sort of got the impression they are planning to when Stryker had no idea what kind of plane the Blackbird is.
Liked the movie but needed mutant healing factor everytime Mardsen spoke. Can we please, please, please get rid of this guy!
Other than that, everything was fine. Mystique is hot.
Sweet Jesus. Finally saw it. Couldn't have asked for more. In fact, I asked for far less. Any one of about 20 scenes would have made my 10 bucks more than worth paying.
Wow, what an amazing movie. But instead of echoing what everyone else says about how awesome it is, I'll talk about a conversation me and my friend had after the movie last night.

He says that you cant replace the iconic characters with different actors, and with the exception of Wolverine- I disagree. I dont know if Famke Janssen has the acting chops to pull off Dark Phoenix, but we can DEFINETLY have a better Cyclops and Berry is also expendable. Magneto will be damn near impossible to replace and so will Xavier but that is the beauty of the X-Men from the comics- the team is so interchangeable it doesnt matter who you focus on.

Lets consider that the X-Men franchise possesses Bond-type longevity with the pop culture audience and that filmmakers from my generation (the 18-22 year old film students who grew up on the X-Men cartoon and Wolverine #75/X-Men #25 forward) want to take up the flag and do film after film, one director to the other, telling the stories from fans to fans that we've wanted to see on the screen our entire lives. That is limitless potential and soemthing we dont need Halle Berry, Famke Janssen and James Marsden for. Hell, remember when Storm and Wolverine were introduced to the X-Men? The original team was captive, essentially reduced to cameo roles. If the stories shift to the fan favorites like Iceman (young Shawn Ashmore should be chained up for the long haul), Rogue, Colossus, Gambit (Colin Farrell? Except he's a trite short, but ruggedly charming enough), Bishop (Will Smith, anyone? Morris Chesnut?) and Beast, with different Storm, Cyclops and Jean Greys- it could really be a bright future for X fans. My proposal has purposely avoided the future casting of Wolverine...I dont know how could do it better, but Jackman owes it to himself as a good actor to not be stuck in Wolverine for the rest of his life.

If we got a better Cyclops we can introduce Havok and his relationship with his brother. I like how someone on the AICN talkback mentioned the Mutant Morlock Massacre with Mr. Sinister- the perfect way to introduce Gambit, since he was in the Mauraders, first as a bad guy...then good. Also, in the future, lets have Nightcrawler with his damn rapier, it wouldve been way cooler than that pussy knife he was going to kill the president with.

Well thats just talk. What do you all think of the X-Men franchise as in the future? Is a library of mutant films something you would want to see? What sort of casting would you do?
Famke definitely has the chops for Jean Grey, and I sort of doubt they're going to do the Dark Pheonix thing route in the next film. She's being set up as the next stage of mutation, the all-powerful Pheonix. Famke has the chops for either.

James Marsden is not a bad Cyclops. He looks good, he sounds good, he has sold the boy scout persona, as well as that undying love for Jean persona. His final scenes of the film were quite good, and there's no reason to replace him.

I think there's one great flick left in these people, after which certain parts will start to fall away. Hugh will do another, Singer will do another, and so will everyone else except for Halle Berry (and that's okay). As long as they finish this trilogy in the way they are obviously planning and give us one amazingly complete saga of superhero films, then they can do whatever they want with whomever they want for the next 20 years. I'll be happy with my Singer films.
Got to see it last night (thanks Nick) and I have to say that I it pretty much rocked.

Wolverine (the franchise) is full tilt boogie all the way through and hits the tone of the comices perfectly.

Nightcrawler was a sight to behold, I was really worried about the teleporting but it kicks ass.

Magneto is one mean son of a bitch, but with a terrific sense of humor. The man can do no wrong, not even on SNL.

Mystique is a fully functioning character which is really cool. Can this chick possibly get any hotter? When she's sliding away flipping everybody off I wanted to hand her my damn wallet.

Iceman and Rogue, lumped together because neither really has that much to do with the story though the actors did an admirable job.

Pyro, lots of potential here given the perfect setup the character is given. His defection had me thinking about how the Star Wars franchise should handle the emergenc of Darth Vader.

Cyclops appears to be along for the ride out of sheer necessity at this point and comes across as a big puss.

Storm, Berry has more to say and a lot more power this time around but overall I just don't think she adds anything (other than hotness) to the film.

Lady Deathstrike, the fight scene with Wolverine was at times very cool but the film gives no real hint of her power until that point (her knuckle popping just doesn't compare to Wolverine's neck popping).

My overall experience was nearly ruined by three guys next to us providing some very insightful narration the whole way through so I REALLY need to see this again soon so I can try to get the full effect.

I'd give it an 8 - 8.5, but I'm not ready to topple Spiderman yet.
Quote:

Dennis:
Got to see it last night (thanks Nick) and I have to say that I it pretty much rocked.

Wolverine (the franchise) is full tilt boogie all the way through and hits the tone of the comices perfectly.

Nightcrawler was a sight to behold, I was really worried about the teleporting but it kicks ass.

Magneto is one mean son of a bitch, but with a terrific sense of humor. The man can do no wrong, not even on SNL.

Mystique is a fully functioning character which is really cool. Can this chick possibly get any hotter? When she's sliding away flipping everybody off I wanted to hand her my damn wallet.

Iceman and Rogue, lumped together because neither really has that much to do with the story though the actors did an admirable job.

Pyro, lots of potential here given the perfect setup the character is given. His defection had me thinking about how the Star Wars franchise should handle the emergenc of Darth Vader.

Cyclops appears to be along for the ride out of sheer necessity at this point and comes across as a big puss.

Storm, Berry has more to say and a lot more power this time around but overall I just don't think she adds anything (other than hotness) to the film.

Lady Deathstrike, the fight scene with Wolverine was at times very cool but the film gives no real hint of her power until that point (her knuckle popping just doesn't compare to Wolverine's neck popping).

My overall experience was nearly ruined by three guys next to us providing some very insightful narration the whole way through so I REALLY need to see this again soon so I can try to get the full effect.

I'd give it an 8 - 8.5, but I'm not ready to topple Spiderman yet.

I agree that Pyro was ten times the Vader that Anakin was in the prequels. Regarding Spider-man, I think X2 slapped it around like a webheaded step-child.
Having watched "Spider-Man" directly before "X2" I have to agree that it pales in comparison. Far too many dopey moments that take you out of the film, the FX really do look bad in comparison to "X2", and this is just a much more impressive film. It has beat out my previous superhero faves "Batman" and "Superman:The Movie".
Quote:

Props to Singer. He unleashed the potential that was bubbling under the original, competent film.

That's a great overview of X2.
Quote:

Angelus:
"Regarding Spider-man, I think X2 slapped it around like a webheaded step-child."

More like ripped it's head off and shit down it's neck, gutted the corpse and threw it into an icy cold river to rot forever.

Well, yeah.
Quote:

Stew:
Having watched "Spider-Man" directly before "X2" I have to agree that it pales in comparison. Far too many dopey moments that take you out of the film, the FX really do look bad in comparison to "X2", and this is just a much more impressive film. It has beat out my previous superhero faves "Batman" and "Superman:The Movie".

We'll just have to disagree because I just don't think I got THAT much out of X2. Don't get me wrong, I loved it and I think it is a quantum leap over the first. But when it comes to the inevitable comparisons to Spiderman I have to go with Spidey, it just resonated more with me.

And I have yet to hear any of the Daredevil worshippers chime in.
What is it with this endless need to compare that geeks have? The only movie you should be comparing this to is the first X-Men, not Star Wars or Spider-Man.
One question...shouldnt Jason Stryker have been affected by Professor X's cerebro attack on all the mutants, which should have disrupted his mind control?

Also, in regards to SJR's review. The overall plot was very simplistic, but I didnt want to have any different. I don't feel it was convoluted. It was relatively simple. Stryker is an asshole who has been messing with mutants for a long time. His son ends up being a mutant and tears his family apart. Now he wants to kill all mutants using cerebro. They could have explored his loss and pain more, but I think that would have humanized him too much, and made ppl pity him.

Oh, also I loved that scene against the chopper with logan. And how stryker was saying "you were an animal before, I just gave you claws" That whole scene was an intriguing hint at Logan's past. Bryan Cox did a beautiful job.
I'm a "Daredevil" worshipper but I don't see why that matters at all. You don't see any "Blade II" worshippers either. "X2" is a bigger, more ambitious and exciting film. "Daredevil" was always going to be smaller, so liking it for what it did well and knowing from the start that "X2" would be an x-ponentially (zing!) better film means nothing.

"X2" is consistent and serious all the way through, with NO groaner moments. Watching "Spider-Man" again I loved the Ben Parker stuff, the Peter Parker stuff, the fights, and a lot of the story. But on subsequent viewings I get more and more annoyed with quite a few dumb moments that drag it down a bit for me.
Quote:

Stew:
I'm a "Daredevil" worshipper but I don't see why that matters at all. You don't see any "Blade II" worshippers either. "X2" is a bigger, more ambitious and exciting film. "Daredevil" was always going to be smaller, so liking it for what it did well and knowing from the start that "X2" would be an x-ponentially (zing!) better film means nothing.

"X2" is consistent and serious all the way through, with NO groaner moments. Watching "Spider-Man" again I loved the Ben Parker stuff, the Peter Parker stuff, the fights, and a lot of the story. But on subsequent viewings I get more and more annoyed with quite a few dumb moments that drag it down a bit for me.

To me, Spidey offered me great nostalgic moments, but X2 offered me great movie moments.
Quote:

Devin moves 4th dimensionally:
What is it with this endless need to compare that geeks have? The only movie you should be comparing this to is the first X-Men, not Star Wars or Spider-Man.

If someone says that "X2" is the best superhero movie ever, which Nick and others are saying, then that in itself is a comparison right away. Comparing this to Star Wars or LOTR or Matrix would be stupid. Comparing it to other films in the limited genre that is superhero films should be no huge travesty.
Quote:

Stew:
Quote:

If someone says that "X2" is the best superhero movie ever, which Nick and others are saying, then that in itself is a comparison right away. Comparing this to Star Wars or LOTR or Matrix would be stupid. Comparing it to other films in the limited genre that is superhero films should be no huge travesty.

Thank you!

Devin, who are you to say what "geeks" should compare?
I'm the guy who is sick of seeing every single thread on CHUD devolve into movie vs movie debates.
Well, I would've posted in the Pre-Release forum, as I saw this at the CHUD screening in Atlanta on Thursday night, but the thread had been closed, so here's my thoughts:

This film was tremendous! It easily beats the whole first movie by the end of the opening sequence with Nightcrawler. I told my friend who joined me that this film could've easily been the first film in the series hands down, as I was not a big fan of X-Men. It did not live up to the hype, in my opinion.

Everyone was in excellent form and many of the characters that received the shaft or horrible lines in the first film were redeemed in this film. Halle Berry as Storm, especially. Nightcrawler's BAMF effect was perfect, Wolverine's cynicism was hilarious, the storyline was top-notch, the music was cool and well...to keep a long raving short, I loved every moment of this film and look forward to X-Men 3 with great fervor.

9.0 out of 10

Jesus tap-dancing christ! I just got back from a showing. First I want to say, I loved how long it was. I loved how it took so much time to set everything up. I didn't think it would happen but at the end I really cared about the charecters. It totally shocked me, I had goosebumps.

Of course I loved all the action set pieces, but what I thought was really cool was the everyday type stuff used in conjuction with the powers. Like when Iceman cooled Wolverines drink. Or when Mystique tried to get some action. Also when she flipped off the guards, that was great.

I was shocked and delighted at how violent it was, when Wolverine stabbed that first military guy in the mansion, it was just so cool.

Of all the fighting my favorite would have to be Wolverine against Lady Death Strike(sweet casting). I loved the brutality of it, and most all it will probably be the closest thing I will ever see in terms of Blade of the Immortal on the big screen, which is just awsome. The was they just kept stabbing each other...sweet.

It definatly blew my expectations out of the water.
Quote:

I'm the guy who is sick of seeing every single thread on CHUD devolve into movie vs movie debates.

It's just the nature of the beast. Everyone has favorites and that has a lot to do with it, especially with the seemingly sudden explosion of comic book films.

"Geeks" have debated which superhero could kick the others ass since the beginning of time, so why should the corresponding movies be any different. With the Blade films, Spiderman, Daredevil, the X-Men films, and LOTR this is essentially the "geeks" time to shine, why deprive them/us of that right?

And what's with the "every single thread on CHUD" generalization? If you're having a bad day, then say you're having a bad day.