Great British Television
Gawd yes.
Father Ted

The Vicar of Dibley

Monty Python

As Time Goes By

Ballykissangel

Keeping Up Appearances

and I cannot believe no one has yet mentioned...

MR. BEAN

Father Ted and Manchild
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000797E5/qid%3D1040863271/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-1344602-9245739" target="_blank">COUPLING!!</a>
You can't fucking top The Young Ones, man.
"Why is it whenever anything blows up in this house it's always bloody Vyvyn??" And my favorite Neil line-"Do you dig graves?"
"Yeah, they're alright."
I like Red Dwarf. Lister's the man.
Python, Fawlty, I'm Alan Partridge is fucking funny, too.
Even though I think Coupling is nothing more than a pale imitation of Friends, I have to admit- the episode where the dark-haired girl (Can't remember her name) insulted her friends with the sock puppet was surprisingly funny.

Every British comedy should have a sock puppet.

I started watching THE OFFICE this Christmas.

It is the best British comedy since FAWLTY TOWERS, and the best mockumentary since THIS IS SPINAL TAP.
Spaced

The Office

League Of Gentlemen
oh, Dan already posted those. well, check them out!
The Office is absolutely sublime, because it marries acutely embarassing observational character comedy with a genuine air of pathetic sadness and pathos. It's funny because it hurts.
Quote:

Dan Whitehead:
Quote:

Z-Man:
I've heard alot about this show called "Spaced". Anyone seen it?

Brilliant. A very surreal sitcom indeed, but very funny.

CHUD folk would love it - it's stuffed full of movie, comics and TV references that only "we" would get.

i just watched this recently, and (as usual) was not steered wrong by UK Dan. i laughed a LOT. very funny shit.

though i was almost ashamed by how many of the little references i understood...
BBC America is going to start showing The Office on January 23!
Brother Cadfael
Neverwhere
Coupling (this isn't an imitation of Friends, it's a lot weirder and much dirtier)
The Prisoner
The Office
The Fast Show
Armadillo!

and I remember spending my childhood watching "the Tripods" (an adaptation of War of the Worlds, if I remember correctly) and "Blake's Seven".

and I second Robin of Sherwood! The DVD collections are fantastic, with commentaries, and a couple of very long making ofs (and Maid Marion is still very cute... god, I had such a crush on her...)

I was looking for a proper forum for a recommendation of a new UK show, and this one seemed correct...

[GEEZ, 10 year old thread! I had to blow the dust off just to see what I wuz typing! HA!]

New series just starting on British TV called  UTOPIA. Two shows have aired so far. If you're in Great Britain, check it out. Elsewhere, bit torrent it.

Concept-

There's a best selling graphic novel called Utopia. There was to be a second volume, but it never showed, the creator vanished. A group of forum regulars chat about it and one claims to have the original pages of the 2nd volume, which nobody knew existed. The group set a meeting place but only some make it. Some members get killed (there is some blood in this, it's tense and gruesome) before they can rendezvous with the others, who realize they are being stalked. A shady group wants the manuscript. They feel it has predicted disasters in the past and can do the same for the future, which they can benefit from. And they intend to have it at any costs.

It's well done, doesn't pull punches and is surprising.. constantly.

Stephen Rea is a bad guy in this and is the only actor you'll recognize.

Check it out if you're able--

Thanks for highlighting this one. I've just finished watching the first three episodes and it's really great. I love the overweight bad guy with the breathing problems and the whole mythos behind "Mr Rabbit" and the Utopia comicbook. The brightly-colored visuals and interesting audio choices really make the show stand-out, as does the extreme violence. Hell, the torture sequence and the scenes which open episode three had me peeking at the screen between my fingers. I can quite easily see this being remade in the US but it wouldn't be nearly as good.

This thread is quite the quaint throwback to the days where The Office was something people needed informing about and Americans weren't more obsessed with Spaced and it's alumni than we brits ever were!

Peep Show didn't even exist when this thread was started, but I think it's peak years (series 1-4 probably) easily rank it up with the best sitcoms ever made.

I think Peep Show is still hilarious

Going through this thread, the only show that's not been mentioned is THE FALL AND RISE OF REGINALD PERRIN. This is still one of the funniest tv shows that I've ever seen, and I rewatch the dvd set of it every couple of years. Great, funny stuff.
AI liked Coupling.

My wife and I still quote it from time to time.

Just got back from the future, and I gift you...

The Fast Show was brilliant!

Has no one mentioned One Foot in the Grave? Really? When I was in the old country that old bastard was one of my favorites. Open all ours wasn't that bad for a Sunday night after songs of praise and/or Last of the Summer Wine.

Let me put in a shout out for Misfits here. I think it's one of the most interesting and ballsy shows on TV right now, and I'm betting a lot of folks here would really love it. It's crude and violent, but under the seeming immaturity on the surface is a whip-smart show that isn't afraid to take chances. I mean, this season featured a zombie-noir episode, and it freaking worked! If a smart, daring genre show about juvenile delinquents who get superpowers doesn't sound like your kind of thing, then frankly I'm not sure why you're here at CHUD.

It's all up on Hulu, so you really have no excuse for not checking it out.

I want a season 3 of You Have Been Watching, dammit!

Oh, and am I the only one that sees just how badly American audiences need QI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb View Post

Oh, and am I the only one that sees just how badly American audiences need QI?

Who is the American version of Stephen Fry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Hey, if Fry's father had taken that job at Princeton University, he would've been ours, dammit!

If it's been mentioned, too bad...it's good enough to be repeated: TOP GEAR (UK edition) is one of the most consistently entertaining shows on television.  You don't have to be into cars in order to enjoy it.  It's funny as hell, and their off-the-cuff interviews with the celebrities that show up are usually far more informative than what you typically get in late night television.

Wasn't there a U.S version of Top Gear at one point? Having seen the British show once or twice, I can't imagine it without the original presenters.

Quote:

Wasn't there a U.S version of Top Gear at one point? Having seen the British show once or twice, I can't imagine it without the original presenters.

It's actually still running (I think it returned this week after a half-season break). Never seen it, but it's evidently hosted by Adam Ferrara. I think it also has a "Stig."

Quote:

Oh, that would be pointless. I just mean that BBCAmerica or someone should be showing the original over here. I mean, quite apart from Fry himself, America's unlikely to produce a Jo Brand, Bill Bailey, or Sean Locke (though I suspect we could come up with an Alan Davies).

Top Gear UK started a new season last Sunday, by the way.