Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great British Television

Finished Britannia today (incidentally, all nine episodes are on Amazon Prime, if anyone outside the US wants to watch it):

Ultimately quite disappointed. For a show that began really strongly (at least in my opinion), I feel as though it really limped to the ending in the back half. 

I started losing interest when they introduced the whole 'Chosen One' aspect, which is always lazy storytelling. I also found the episode where three different sets of characters end up in an abandoned village, and somehow avoid one another, to be particularly annoying. Why spend so long with the runaway soldiers when they're just going to be dispatched off-screen anyway?

I also think that the decision for the druid magic to be real, allowing one character to run around hypnotising his enemies and apparently turn invisible, was a massive mistake.

There's a good chance I'll tune into the second season but my enthusiasm for the show has taken a bit of a kicking. The writing needs to be a lot stronger.
I was looking for the thread on new site and this appears to be older posts. can people post here or should new TC thread be opened?
'Ask Klingon or Krell, my posts are swell'
We can just continue from here, in my opinion.

"If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists" -  The Manic Street Preachers

Steam ID: iammrsaxon / Blizzard ID: MrSaxon#2283 / Xbox ID: MR SAX0N
Yeah, seems fine to me. I didn't even realize anything was missing.

Not caught up on any British Television since we last update, I dropped Britannia and it seems like that was the right call.

I think The City and The City in April is the next big one I'm looking forward to. I adore the book and it should be something a little bit different.
That dude from the Mighty Boosh is one of the new presenters on the British Baking Show, and MAN is that guy hard to look at.

[Image: noel-fieldings-shirts-1509551148-herowidev4-0.jpg]
You mean because of his clothing tastes, or because he's had the same hairstyle since the 90's?

"If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists" -  The Manic Street Preachers

Steam ID: iammrsaxon / Blizzard ID: MrSaxon#2283 / Xbox ID: MR SAX0N
sorry for the deleted posts, wuz having trouble attaching pics, but I think I've got it sorted.
That weird guy is Noel Fielding, of The IT Crowd & Big Fat Quiz Of The Year fame.

Not Going Out is back this week with series 9! Did they switch out the kid actors playing his children? The ones in the opening title sequence looked the same as previous, but we saw 2 kids in this episode that looked different to me. It"s been a year since last season, maybe the kid actors grew too much and the producers didn't want that reflected in the continuity. Funny episode too, with the in-laws. Hugh Dennis is back too--always like him on Mock The Week (burns me up that they only do 5 new shows a year-with one of those 'highlights' shows.)

Attached Files Image(s)

'Ask Klingon or Krell, my posts are swell'
What the hell? The BBC has adapted THE CITY AND THE CITY, starring David Morrissey, and it starts tomorrow night? Jeez guys next time why not tell us after it's on!
Only half way through the book but loving it. Haven't been so immersed in a novel for a long time.
Interesting article on the language they created:

https://theconversation.com/amp/how-i-in...ssion=true
"I don't do tag-teams with blood relatives". Kenny Powers.
Watched thru episode 5 of KILLING EVE last night and this might be my favorite TV show in recent memory. Sandra Oh continues to impress despite sometimes looking spectacularly out of place and Jodie Comer is all sorts of awesome as the psychopathic globetrotting assassin. She sort of reminds me of a cross between Anna Kendrick and Rachel from BANSHEE. All the actors are great actually (even the short-lived targets/victims). Only 3 more episodes left to go this season - hopefully this finishes strong.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
Inside No. 9 Halloween special announced!

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/inside-no...-announced
A VERY ENGLISH SCANDAL, which is on Amazon Prime right now, is excellent. If more people were watching it, it would be hailed as a major turn for Hugh Grant. The second half of the second episode is like the good parts of I, TONYA, except very British.

Highly recommended.
home taping is killing music
(07-06-2018, 10:41 PM)boone daniels Wrote: A VERY ENGLISH SCANDAL, which is on Amazon Prime right now, is excellent. If more people were watching it, it would be hailed as a major turn for Hugh Grant. The second half of the second episode is like the good parts of I, TONYA, except very British.

Highly recommended.

This was great.

Very excited for Park Chan-Wook's THE LITTLE DRUMMER GIRL, from the same team that did THE NIGHT MANAGER, starring Florence Pugh, Alexander Skarsgaard, and America's greatest working actor, Michael Shannon. I'm also amped for Hugo Blick's war crimes series BLACK EARTH RISING, starring Michaela Coel and John Goodman. Malkovich as Poirot is an interesting choice, too.