Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Asian Films Thread (Beware: Long-ass thread)
Had me a late night double feature of ace Korean hard boiled dirty politics and underworld crime buffets - ASURA: CITY OF MADNESS and THE INSIDE MEN. Really enjoyed both. ASURA was the stronger overall achievement anchored by top notch acting and production values (don't think I've ever seen Korean favelas shot in this way before) and really satisfied w/ a bloodlust thirst-quenching ending. I can see why this flopped at the local box office as the violence and nihilism were just too potent. Right up my alley tho. It was also great seeing Jung Woo Sung and Kwak Do Won here in a total 180 from their easygoing buddy chemistry in STEEL RAIN (incidentally, this is getting a sequel w/ the addition of the great Angus Macfadyen for release in 2020). That carnage at the funeral parlor at the end must have been a bitch to clean up. Yay for non CGI bloodbaths. Kim Sung Soo (BEAT, MUSA) really directed the shit out of this.

THE INSIDE MEN was based on a popular web comic and was apparently a gargantuan hit despite it earning the equivalent of the NC-17 rating. I quite enjoyed the various twists and turns and endless double-crosses which made up for a shortage of film-making pizzazz on display. Lee Byung Hun totally owns in this as the crippled gangster/enforcer out for revenge against his former bosses who teams up w/ a rogue prosecutor to take down THE MAN. A lot of beatings, limb-severings, naked middle aged bar golf and room salon BJs ensue.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
That's a good-ass double bill. I don't believe in the concept of "guilty pleasures" because I like what I like . . . but if I did, Asura would be it. That car chase scene is great.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
Peninsula (Train To Busan sequel) got a release date!

Soon. Not soon ENOUGH. But soon.
New Trailer for Jackie Chan's upcoming VANGUARD (2020)

That trailer thinks KUNG FU YOGA is worth mentioning.
I know Tong directed them all, but mayyyybe let that one slide off the ol' resume?
I know it was a massive moneymaker in China, but is it thought of as one of Jackie's best by anybody?
That cast, though!

Ma Dong Seok is playing a geologist.  The Rock can't play a geologist.  Which is ironic when you think about it.
New Trailer for Jackie Chan's VANGUARD (2020)

(12-05-2019, 05:14 PM)the nz natural Wrote: That cast, though!

Ma Dong Seok is playing a geologist.  The Rock can't play a geologist.  Which is ironic when you think about it.

ASHFALL is opening tonight at the CGV in LA's K-town.  I'm tempted to take my family to it sometime during the holiday break but I don't think it's playing w/ English subs which will be a bitch for my kids.  Plus I think it's sort of just OK judging from the handful of reviews I've read.  I'll probably wait for the Well Go USA / HK Edko Blu or the Tubebox link.
It's opening here in Singapore next month. I'll probably check it out.
(12-19-2019, 12:33 PM)isao kanemasa Wrote: ASHFALL is opening tonight at the CGV in LA's K-town.  I'm tempted to take my family to it sometime during the holiday break but I don't think it's playing w/ English subs which will be a bitch for my kids.  Plus I think it's sort of just OK judging from the handful of reviews I've read.  I'll probably wait for the Well Go USA / HK Edko Blu or the Tubebox link.

It opens in Aussie January 9th (I think?).  I live in a town about 90 minutes south of Sydney and there are only three cinemas in the Event (Greater Union) chain that play Korean/Chinese/Indian releases on the regular in Sydney.  So provided the roads out of town aren't all closed at that point (we're having a few issues with fires at the mo), looks like we'll be heading up to see it that weekend.  I have heard it's so-so, but I'll take Korean so-so over US so-so any day of the week . . . and then there's always the whole "if you don't support your niche thing in your area, it won't last" deal.  So . . .
None of the CGV screenings in LA or Buena Park have English subs so I'm hopeful that means Well Go USA or some other US distributor picked it up. Was hoping to take the family to see it since we were all underwhelmed by JUMANJI and STAR WARS in recent days, and since nobody really feels like going skiing or snowboarding during winter break I'm running out of ideas for family outings.
(12-22-2019, 07:10 PM)isao kanemasa Wrote: None of the CGV screenings in LA or Buena Park have English subs so I'm hopeful that means Well Go USA or some other US distributor picked it up.  Was hoping to take the family to see it since we were all underwhelmed by JUMANJI and STAR WARS in recent days, and since nobody really feels like going skiing or snowboarding during winter break I'm running out of ideas for family outings.

Considering those were my next two excursions out to the cinema, this post depresses me somewhat.
I don't pop in here often, so forgive me if this movie has been talked up - but I just read this Twitter thread and I'm geeking out:

"Johnny Mak's Long Arm of the Law (1984) is, yes, a Christmas movie, and the only one I know that features a shot-up body plunging multiple stories to land and carom around in a mall ice skating rink, leaving a trail of gore in its wake."

https://twitter.com/NickPinkerton/status...0024248325

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

I get LONG ARM OF THE LAW I & II confused. I queued both OOP HK DVDs from Netflix years ago and they eventually did send me Part 1 (which I think was actually Part 2, just mislabeled) and I recall fast-forwarding thru it for the gnarly parts and sent it back. And I can't remember anything from it except the part where one of the mainland outlaws forces a prostitute to give him a blowjob at gunpoint. The Blu-Ray for Part 1 has been OOP forever at DDDHouse and I don't think Yesasia carries it either so it's long been one of those hard to find curio titles.

I own LONG ARM OF THE LAW III on DVD which stars Andy Lau and has nothing to do w/ the earlier entries but is a nifty little late 80s HK crime action film in its own right.
LAOTL is an amazing crime flick. Definitely time for a rewatch though, because I'm blanking on the Christmas movie part.
(12-26-2019, 02:01 AM)isao kanemasa Wrote: I get LONG ARM OF THE LAW I & II confused.  I queued both OOP HK DVDs from Netflix years ago and they eventually did send me Part 1 (which I think was actually Part 2, just mislabeled) and I recall fast-forwarding thru it for the gnarly parts and sent it back.  And I can't remember anything from it except the part where one of the mainland outlaws forces a prostitute to give him a blowjob at gunpoint.

That's the first one.
“That which doesn't kill you wasn't done right.”—Khaya Dlanga
Thanks, I must have really fast forwarded thru large chunks of it as I don't recall the shopping mall / ice skating rink splatter at all. I guess I should order the Blu-Ray for Part II one of these days as that one seems to be highly regarded as well.

Cool little personal side note - I just came back from taking the family to The Grove in West LA (we missed our annual trip before Christmas to ride that goofy trolley and get our picture w/ that bigassed tree) and saw Joe Taslim and his lady friend dining at the Farmers Market. I had to tell my son that he was the Asian dude in FAST 6 that beat the shit out of Han and Roman as he's still too young to see WARRIOR or THE NIGHT COMES FOR US. Maybe when MORTAL KOMBAT comes out next year he might be more impressed.
Seen IP MAN 4 yet?
Not yet, no.
Donnie Yen's ENTER THE FATE DRAGON coming Chinese New Year.

Off up to Sydney to see Ashfall this Saturday (kind of ironic that I'm thankful the roads up have been cleared and open due to the bushfires so I'll be able to go see a movie called Ashfall, but whatever). Shall report back promptly.
Hope you like it. I did.
I just watched TETSUO: THE IRON MAN for the first time.

Gosh.
'Gosh' is an appropriate response. Shinya Tsukamoto is probably my favourite living Japanese director (he's also a great actor in his own right, he was wonderful in Silence), Kotoko is a very good example of his growth as a director, the intimist portrayal of a young mother struggling with mental illness. Life is not always about phallic drills...
(01-14-2020, 12:51 AM)Felix Wrote: Hope you like it. I did.

Well it's definitely my favourite movie of 2020 so far (rimshot!)
Didn't realise they were going to lean so much into the comedy and it was a welcome surprise.  The action was great, the laughs were frequent.  Just a great, fun time at the flicks watching big stars be very entertaining
It reminded me of THE ROCK. Buddy comedy laughs.

"You didn't think we could just walk in and get him did you?"
(01-17-2020, 07:48 PM)magiclapinou Wrote: 'Gosh' is an appropriate response. Shinya Tsukamoto is probably my favourite living Japanese director (he's also a great actor in his own right, he was wonderful in Silence), Kotoko is a very good example of his growth as a director, the intimist portrayal of a young mother struggling with mental illness. 

Wow, I had no idea he was in SILENCE.

Quote:Life is not always about phallic drills...

So true.
Some bad CGI for those jet fighters.

Burned through the long-awaited second season of Kingdom.

Really good. They did alright by the first one, even resolving a complex problem at the very end. Well done...

...until the final thirty seconds of the last episode. When the music from an entirely different show cranks up, turn off Netflix. Fast!

(03-13-2020, 08:11 PM)subotai Wrote: Burned through the long-awaited second season of Kingdom.

Really good.  They did alright by the first one, even resolving a complex problem at the very end.  Well done...

...until the final thirty seconds of the last episode.  When the music from an entirely different show cranks up, turn off Netflix.  Fast!

Some of the action sequences were GORGEOUS this season.  But I loved that final 30 seconds - you don't get HER to appear like that unless season 3 is going ahead.
My wife and I binged the 1st season of KINGDOM these past few nights and really enjoyed it. Beautiful (but too damn dark) cinematography, fantastic production design (you can almost feel the freeze in some of those settings), great writing & direction. My wife was nervously fidgeting throughout the series whenever a zombie onslaught was about to happen. Was quite impressed by Ju Ji-Hoon as the crown prince, after his noteworthy turn as the corruptible protege in ASURA. When he yells out that he is not like the other corrupt leaders while trying to free the horse cart I was even moved. For a country still raw after the Sewol ferry disaster that line could've elicited groans, but the dude sells it.

Will probably start on Season 2 tonight. Much thanks to NZ natural for not spoiling who the surprise character at the end is.
Season 2 of KINGDOM was even better than the 1st. My wife is now doing a deep dive on all the in-depth fan review/think piece videos and revisiting Ju Ji-Hoon's earlier TV work. Kinda bummed that Ryu Seung-Yong won't be back as the main foil, but I'm very excited to see the next incarnation of the evil Queen and the new sassy badass. Jun Suk-Ho (who plays the cowardly Boem Pal) reminded me strongly of a young Ti Lung and probably gives my favorite performance.

I would've let the zombies eat me than jump into that shithole.
Ju Ji-Hoon is actually in another currently airing Netflix drama called Hyena with the impossibly-50-this-year Kim Hye Soo. Only a couple of episodes in but it's pretty entertaining so far.

With working from home and down to one day a week, I have had a lot of time to go through my To-Watch pile and it's funny Isao mentions Ryu Seung-Yong as I just watched in in The Front Line yesterday and really, really enjoyed that. A huge production, to be sure. Just kicking off The Great Battle now and DAMN, this opening battle scene is some bloodthirsty shit.
Kim Hye-soo is so goddamn beautiful.

Trying to fill in a few gaps and check out earlier unseen stuff from beloved Korean actors. Most recently watched Kim Jee-woon's The Foul King starring Song Kang-ho. Sort of a character study meets quirky inspirational sports movie. Makes me wish SKH would take more roles where he could show off his physical comedy skills. He is absolutely hilarious in this. And pretty sure he does most of the wrestling scenes himself! Amazing, as always. Movie itself is excellent, too.

"Pops, I know you've been frustrated with my childish ways for a long time..."

"Just do better from now on."

[Pops looks up from his book at the same time as the camera reveals his son is wearing a luchador mask. Pops immediately starts beating him mercilessly with a fly swatter]
I will finally be getting around to The Foul King this week, I'm amazed I haven't gotten to it yet as it combines so many of my loves.

Yeah, Kim Hye-Soo is just . . . . I mean, besides the looks and knockout body, she just projects this aura of effortless cool, charm, poise, authority . . . but also seems so humble and quiet. She's one of the few celebrities I actively would love to meet.