Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Asian Films Thread (Beware: Long-ass thread)
That's a pretty long wait, though.
So I buckled again, and placed yet another order with the fine masters at DDDHouse (who just spiffed up their site - woohoo!):

<strong>Kilimanjaro
Just Do It
Asako in Ruby Shoes
Naked Weapon</strong>

Hear that, CT? NAKED WEAPON! Just released today
Yea but I'm not hearing the best of stuff about the movie. You are going to have to give me the heads up about the movie before I decide to see it or not.
I too need to watch Chaos, as well as Dark Water.
Quote:

CTDeLude:
Yea but I'm not hearing the best of stuff about the movie. You are going to have to give me the heads up about the movie before I decide to see it or not.

You can count on it. But for less than $10, there are far riskier bets. Action choreography by Ching Siu Tung, that by itself automatically worth the cost, imo
Quote:

Adam L. Blacksmith:
I too need to watch Chaos, as well as Dark Water.

Dark Water, I thought was a good mystery. Not too frightening in comparison to Ring, but a few good spooks and shivers sprinkled throughout.
Ching Siu Tung's American absence is the reason Woo's US stuff hasn't touched the HK output.

Ching is underappreciated when viewed against the far more internationally known Yuen Wo Ping, and it pisses me off - especially after being subjected to Black Mask 2.

The next time I sit down to watch City of Masks - Malcolm McDowell sits shotgun and we both have our eyelids held open. Fucked.

The coolest thing about Ching is the "everything on wires" mentality - ride the motorcycle...fly the motorcycle...throw the motorcycle...

I swear to Viggo Mortensen (who is, at this point, as close as we'll ever get to God) that the first studio action flick I direct will be choreographed by Ching, and shot by Wong Wing Heng.

And the whole world will tremble.

And I'll look much smarter than I actually am.
'bout time the HAM showed up!

i wasn't that thrilled with Dark Water or Chaos. both have their creepy moments but felt a bit of a chore to me.

glad the DDD guys made the upgrade. guess i owe it to them to place an order for all their hard work.
in interesting news it seems one of my co-workers is knowledgable enugh to get me Ringu. I'm impressed.

And good to have you post here Jason. We've been missing you.
Interesting theory about Woo/Ching Siu Tung, not sure I agree with it though. IMO Woo's best stuff is great because of Woo himself, everything and everyone else is a marginal influence at best.

And there's a bunch of reasons why Woo's US work isn't up to scratch with the HK classics. Choreography is the least of his worries...

Tony, I got it today. You rock. Hoo-ah!

Jason, I always felt Tony's action choreography in The Killer is what elevated its action scenes above the usual (but still excellent) Woo trademark balletics. Well, that and Tsui's economy in orchestrating the shooting schedules.

I got a small taste of Tony's Hollywood crossover exercise in last year's <strong>Invincible</strong>, but I want more, damnit. More wires, more acrobatics, go Chinese Ghost Story or Swordsman 2 on these fools. The day I see Rolph Moeller doing bad wire fu on a UPN show is the day when all bets are officially off. Just go nuts with the stuff, and show these amateurs how you REALLY do 'em.
Having difficultly finding the time to watch these movies with Lady Koel here. frown

I know what you mean, CT. I have a month old "special" DVD gift from a friend in Japan that must languish in my office desk until the missus decides to give me a couple hours to view this masterpiece alone.

Which kinda reminds me, Tony, the ETA on Japanese Region 2 of Kitano's <strong>Dolls</strong>:

March 28, 2002 (accorcing to KFC Cinema's boards)

16 X 9, English subs, I assume the usual.
Woo-Hoo, thanks for the info, K.

Can't wait to pick that up.

Glad you got it, replying to your E as I type. Haven't watched Oasis yet, sometime this weekend for sure.
Off the Kurosawa train for a sec - can anyone tell me what the most successful film of all time is at the Korean box office?

I'd wager it's I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER!

How many, Hitch? How many flicks follow that formula of Category III lite, cute/cut girls in skimpy outfits (and dumb hunky guys) who accidentally kill/disfigure/maim the not-so-popular kid who returns (or maybe it's just a relative of the not-so-popular kid) to wreak havoc?

There may be some supernatural mumbo-jumbo - like one of the girls gets odd visions - and someone is almost always videotaping the precedings - but its always teens running from their deadly past.

I've seen so many of these lately - a buddy of mine is hung up on Korean stuff. We watched My Wife is Gangster, and my enjoying that flick somehow opened the floodgates on the "I Still Know What You Did in Korea" marathon.

Some of them have faded from memory, but NIGHTMARE and RECORD spring instantly to mind.

Nighmare - because all of the ads for that "They" flick looked just like it, and Record because of the Korean girl who had her nose surgically replaced with a replica of Sarah Michelle Gellar's. I cracked the kids in the room up when I said "Pierce Patchett had you cut to look like Buffy Summers" during a bit of her emoting.

Anyway, though - what gives with this? It's been seven movies so far...
Eh I am a little confused there jason.

And in other news I just finished watching Friend and I must admit that is one tragic tale.

Quite vicious too.

Makes me want to get the Ultimate edition.

Also I loved the cinematogrpahy in this movie. If anything has kicked my butt with every Korean flick I have seen so far it is the cinematography. If I didn't know any better I'd think one guy had done all of them.
Oh and the highest grossing film in Korea was Friend.
In 2000, there was a boom in low budget Korean horror flicks, with <strong>The Record, Nightmare, The Beach</strong> coming out just months apart. To what this is attributed to I have frankly no idea.

I DO know that IKWYDLS was a popular novelty movie in Korea when it came out, and it even entered the everyday lexicon stemming from some popular local comedians spoofing its generic title (which later became a popular catchphrase for lampooning and criticising corrupt politicians).

But frankly, I really don't know, Jason. I haven't seen any of the Korean "slasher" films. Out of these, I think <strong>Nightmare</strong> had somewhat of a decent successful run, with the others not even making a blip.

The recent Korean horror trend is, much like Hollywood, HK, and the rest of the world, aping Japanese ghost stories and The Ring ilk.

<strong>The Phone</strong>, which was just released on DVD, is a good example. It was hugely popular to boot, so I expect more along these lines in the next year.

Right now the trend is leaning toward American Pie styled sex comedies. Except they're kinda funny.

And yup CT, <strong>Friend</strong> remains Korea's #1 box office champ. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it.
Just watched Oasis. Holy shit.

You have no idea how depressing and hard to watch a film can get until you see this. More than once, in fact at least five times, I had to pause the movie because I could just not handle what I knew was going to happen next. I was balling my eyes out of at least the last half hour. It was an AMAZING film. One that I will have to watch again, but to do so will take a lot out of me. Really, that film takes energy to watch. It moves fast and hits you at all sides. Just fucking wow.

Seriously, no made in 2002 film has changed the way I look at cinema more that Oasis. Such a fantastic film.

Words can not describe the feelings I went through when watching it.

Thank you, Khitch.
Tony my man, it is excellent to hear that it affected you so strongly. Hopefully the "depressing" elements weren't too hard to sit through.

I just about lost it during the missed subway train scene, where she starts singing that song for the "General".

I need to watch this again soon myself, to try to figure out at which point of the movie does her "fantasy" becomes his.

Thanks for giving this movie your attention, and your love.
Sheesh hearing that kinda stuff from Tony really does set a movie apart.

I don't think I would have checked out In The Mood For Love if not for his perfect 10 review.

I wonder how much Oasis will affect me seeing as how I have a personal connection to the subject matter.

About Friend...again an incredible film. If there is one thing I have noticed about Korean films as of late is the interesting way the opening credits play. Friend, Guns and Talks, No Blood No Tears all managed to have interesting beginning credits.

The cinematogrpahy of Friend was genius. The run to the movies was shot incredibly well, not to mention the beginning with the kids following after the truck.

Spoiler

I must say that Joon Suk's(?) death was vicious. Stabbings have always been tough to watch but that was brutal. I can see what you meant by a hard R Khitch. I think that scene stuck out the most to me.

Oh and saw MR. Wasn't that bad. Needed to be more action though then what it became.
Quote:

CTDeLude:
The cinematogrpahy of Friend was genius. The run to the movies was shot incredibly well, not to mention the beginning with the kids following after the truck.

</strong>

The director employed similar photography methods and the over-abundance of sepia-toned filters for his followup, <strong>Champion</strong>, which is technically a superb film.

Quote:

Spoiler

I must say that Joon Suk's(?) death was vicious. Stabbings have always been tough to watch but that was brutal. I can see what you meant by a hard R Khitch. I think that scene stuck out the most to me.

Leon says using a knife is the most personal and difficult way of killing a foe. I guess the Korean gangsters in <strong>Friend</strong> really took this to heart. Just knifings aplenty.
This Oasis sounds like a top film. Anyoen know if a DVD or something is available from the HK suppliers (I use DVD Shelf)
Adam, the currently available Korean DVD is region 3 only. I'm not sure if a HK DVD is on the horizon, but if this indeed becomes Korea's official entry into the 2002 Oscars as speculated, chances for an eventual Region 1 release (not to mention an extremely limited stateside theatrical release) is more than likely.
Quote:

khitcher:
Adam, the currently available Korean DVD is region 3 only. I'm not sure if a HK DVD is on the horizon, but if this indeed becomes Korea's official entry into the 2002 Oscars as speculated, chances for an eventual Region 1 release (not to mention an extremely limited stateside theatrical release) is more than likely.

What was their choice for Foreign film the past 2 years anyways?
No idea about the past two years CT. Maybe Peppermint Candy for 2000?

For this year, it's seemingly a close race between <strong>Oasis, Chiwhaseon,</strong> and crowd favorite <strong>The Way Home.</strong>
Just watched Fulltime Killer.

Fun, Fun movie. Silly, yes. Confussing, sometimes. Overdone, of course.

But I liked it.

I need to see more To movies, fast.
Quote:

Tony Ryan:
Just watched Fulltime Killer.

Fun, Fun movie. Silly, yes. Confussing, sometimes. Overdone, of course.

But I liked it.

I need to see more To movies, fast.

AHA! Someone else enjoyed this as a fun, fun movie!

I don't know what it was about this movie but it just fullfilled me more then The Mission.
As I just said to Tony in a PM, as a commentary on the over the top (and in this case overly referential) action films that Hong Kong has become known for, this, like Time and Tide, becomes so excessive that - even if that's the point - it's hard to enjoy. Though I like both film quite a bit, it's hard to really empathize with any of the leads, though T&T gets more points for having Anthony Wong.

What's so great about The Mission isn't necessarily the story, it's the economy of story telling that doesn't leave the audience a second that isn't conveying important information, and the great sense of brotherhood one leaves the film with. And again, Anthony Wong has never made a film wrose by his presence.

I think I would have enjoyed <strong>Fulltime Killer</strong> substantially more if it had been directed by Andrew Lau or Wong Jing.

I suppose I expected something a bit more, I dunno, clever? inventive? satisfying? from the assured hands of Johnnie To.

FTK felt to me a bit too familiar and too bloated, whereas I thought <strong>The Mission</strong> was a leaner, more effective machine.

Man, what I would give to watch that baby on a theater screen.
True. I can see where you are coming from there Dre.

Unfortunately I like over the top characters.

Also Khitch what is the selection over there at Musci Plaza? Do they pretty much carry all Korean films?

I ask because I am trying to determine what to buy from Aznfilms.com and DVDAsian and what to buy from MusicPlaza which I have now 8 days to visit... wink
Not to devolve this thread into The Mission loving, but yes, I would do lots of illegal things to see The Mission on the big screen, or in a worthwhile DVD.
Quote:

CTDeLude:
Also Khitch what is the selection over there at Musci Plaza? Do they pretty much carry all Korean films?

They carry most of the top selling, high profile stuff, CT. A good selection of Korean manufactured, HK and Japanese and Animes DVDs as well. Prices pretty much in line with aznfilms, DVDAsian.

Go get 'em!
Quote:

Andre Dellamorte:
Not to devolve this thread into The Mission loving, but yes, I would do lots of illegal things to see The Mission on the big screen, or in a worthwhile DVD.

Count me in as an accomplice then, Andre.
You know I'd almost hate to admit it but....

this actually looks somewhat (stressed!!!) somewhat cool.

<a href="http://www.toei.co.jp/ryuki/ryuki_y256.htm" target="_blank">Kamen Rider Ryuiki</a>

Obviously the last part of this is to some other movie.