Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Asian Films Thread (Beware: Long-ass thread)
(06-14-2018, 06:23 AM)Dragon Ma Wrote: So it's basically a re-do of Ashes to Ashes, which in itself is the sequel to Life on Mars.

I guess you could say that if only for the time change from 70s to 80s.  But it's the LoM story, not A2A - those two might have shared the same world but they were very different stories once all was said and done.  Speaking of, A2A is due for a rew-watch some time.  Man, did that show 100% stick the landing.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.

Teaser for Kim Jee-Woon's live action JIN ROH: THE WOLF BRIGADE remake opening in Korea in July.

I hope Well Go USA gets on this like they did for his last Warner Bros. Korea flick AGE OF SHADOWS.  I need to own this shit in HD.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
So they're making a remake of the anime, huh?

I had no idea that there was more films associated with that movie.
 I think all Marvel films are okay. This is my design.

Except for Thor 2: the literal worst.
More of a re-imagining than a straight up remake I guess? The text during the 30 second mark mentions the setting is 2029 when North and South Korea are facing reunification. I don't remember much about the original 1999 anime (aside from the wonderfully haunting main track Grace Omega) but I doubt that was the original backdrop of the story.
That armor look like a cross between Killzone and Wolfenstein A New Order.

I'm in.
"I'll live to see you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your god-damn spine!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Running Man.

PSN and Steam gamer tag: rockbollocks

Blizzard ID: Rockbollocks#11635
Speaking of live action Manga/Anime titles, has anyone seen the Rurouni Kenshin movies?

I've seen the first two and thought they were pretty good. Some great action and fighting choreography.

I'm not familiar with the Manga or Anime, so I can't say how faithful they are.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
More pretty pictures from Zhang Yimou.

(06-15-2018, 06:15 PM)electrichead Wrote: Speaking of live action Manga/Anime titles, has anyone seen the Rurouni Kenshin movies?

I'm not familiar with the Manga or Anime, so I can't say how faithful they are.

I've seen the anime. They are pretty faithful. Right down to the design of the final Boss Kenshin has to face.
I watched Asura: City of Madness which really reminds me of a Polizioteschi movie, the use of Way Down in the Hole was a nice reference to The Wire.
(06-17-2018, 07:58 AM)Dragon Ma Wrote: I watched Asura: City of Madness which really reminds me of a Polizioteschi movie, the use of Way Down in the Hole was a nice reference to The Wire.

I guess it's just a personal thing in that I so strongly identify that song with that show but it was really jarring to me when it played (twice, from memory).  Might have been a combination of that and also hearing a western song in a Korean film, but it really stuck out like dog's balls.
Doesn't take away from what a great film it is, though.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
For anybody with Filmstruck, Takeshi Kitano is their Director of the Week. Four films, including the great "Sonatine."
So I watched Police Story the other night and it really is a classic example of HK and all it's tonal variations, Chan mugs for the camera for the first half, then turns deadly serious as Chan is drugged and framed for murder culminating in that iconic mall sequence (who takes their girlfriend on stakeout?. It's a great action movie but it really does suffer during the middle.
Just finished BELIEVER. I thought it was OK overall, but pretty sloppy. Very B-movie-ish/funny/loud at times, contemplative & self-reflective at others. Some decent acting, some BIZARRE scenery chewing, w/ sporadic bursts of action, gore & automatic gunfire to jolt the viewer awake. Definitely not boring. But not really that good in any conventional sense. It's basically a Korean junk food version of Johnnie To's DRUG WAR. Worth a watch, sure why not.
https://filmmakermagazine.com/105617-cur...kar-leung/
My Young Auntie is my favourite of Lau's film's, he deftly combines humor and martial arts, Hsaio Ho really reminds me of Jet Li.