Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Asian Films Thread (Beware: Long-ass thread)
(06-14-2018, 06:23 AM)Dragon Ma Wrote: So it's basically a re-do of Ashes to Ashes, which in itself is the sequel to Life on Mars.

I guess you could say that if only for the time change from 70s to 80s.  But it's the LoM story, not A2A - those two might have shared the same world but they were very different stories once all was said and done.  Speaking of, A2A is due for a rew-watch some time.  Man, did that show 100% stick the landing.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.

Teaser for Kim Jee-Woon's live action JIN ROH: THE WOLF BRIGADE remake opening in Korea in July.

I hope Well Go USA gets on this like they did for his last Warner Bros. Korea flick AGE OF SHADOWS.  I need to own this shit in HD.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
So they're making a remake of the anime, huh?

I had no idea that there was more films associated with that movie.
 I think all Marvel films are okay. This is my design.

Except for Thor 2: the literal worst.
More of a re-imagining than a straight up remake I guess? The text during the 30 second mark mentions the setting is 2029 when North and South Korea are facing reunification. I don't remember much about the original 1999 anime (aside from the wonderfully haunting main track Grace Omega) but I doubt that was the original backdrop of the story.
That armor look like a cross between Killzone and Wolfenstein A New Order.

I'm in.
"I'll live to see you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your god-damn spine!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Running Man.

PSN and Steam gamer tag: rockbollocks

Blizzard ID: Rockbollocks#11635
Speaking of live action Manga/Anime titles, has anyone seen the Rurouni Kenshin movies?

I've seen the first two and thought they were pretty good. Some great action and fighting choreography.

I'm not familiar with the Manga or Anime, so I can't say how faithful they are.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
More pretty pictures from Zhang Yimou.

(06-15-2018, 06:15 PM)electrichead Wrote: Speaking of live action Manga/Anime titles, has anyone seen the Rurouni Kenshin movies?

I'm not familiar with the Manga or Anime, so I can't say how faithful they are.

I've seen the anime. They are pretty faithful. Right down to the design of the final Boss Kenshin has to face.
I watched Asura: City of Madness which really reminds me of a Polizioteschi movie, the use of Way Down in the Hole was a nice reference to The Wire.
(06-17-2018, 07:58 AM)Dragon Ma Wrote: I watched Asura: City of Madness which really reminds me of a Polizioteschi movie, the use of Way Down in the Hole was a nice reference to The Wire.

I guess it's just a personal thing in that I so strongly identify that song with that show but it was really jarring to me when it played (twice, from memory).  Might have been a combination of that and also hearing a western song in a Korean film, but it really stuck out like dog's balls.
Doesn't take away from what a great film it is, though.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
For anybody with Filmstruck, Takeshi Kitano is their Director of the Week. Four films, including the great "Sonatine."
So I watched Police Story the other night and it really is a classic example of HK and all it's tonal variations, Chan mugs for the camera for the first half, then turns deadly serious as Chan is drugged and framed for murder culminating in that iconic mall sequence (who takes their girlfriend on stakeout?. It's a great action movie but it really does suffer during the middle.
Just finished BELIEVER. I thought it was OK overall, but pretty sloppy. Very B-movie-ish/funny/loud at times, contemplative & self-reflective at others. Some decent acting, some BIZARRE scenery chewing, w/ sporadic bursts of action, gore & automatic gunfire to jolt the viewer awake. Definitely not boring. But not really that good in any conventional sense. It's basically a Korean junk food version of Johnnie To's DRUG WAR. Worth a watch, sure why not.
https://filmmakermagazine.com/105617-cur...kar-leung/
My Young Auntie is my favourite of Lau's film's, he deftly combines humor and martial arts, Hsaio Ho really reminds me of Jet Li.
An upcoming film from Renny Harlin.

I miss good Renny Harlin. Fingers crossed.
"I'll live to see you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your god-damn spine!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Running Man.

So I finally got to see Paradox, it plays like a HK version of Taken but with more dramatic heft, it doesn't have the kinetic action of his films with Donnie Yen but Sammo is an old pro and he delivers some excellent action scenes. Wilson Yip has become such an elegant craftsman with his Sha Po Lang series, it's actually a deftly written film and Louis Koo really delivers an excellent performance as the protagonist.
I blind bought The Villainess this weekend as it was on sale on VUDU. Holy moly. It had a very interesting visual style. The opening was amazing. Things got a little quiet in the middle but picked up again at the end. TBH, there are a couple of things that I have questions about (was the bloke she married her handlers son?)

Anyway, I recommend it, if you haven't seen it.

That's been on my queue for a while. I think it might be available on Hulu. I'll try and check it out. Have you watched Memories of Murder yet, Jonathan?
Considering their's a thread about economic storytelling currently up...

Holy shit is the Villainess a movie that could have benefited from a much tighter script.

A Korean La Femme Nikita with trademark Korean nihilism.
(07-30-2018, 10:37 AM)Mangy Wrote: That's been on my queue for a while. I think it might be available on Hulu. I'll try and check it out. Have you watched Memories of Murder yet, Jonathan?

Oh yeah I did. It was a great movie. I love how the cops in Korea deal with suspects, it cracks me up. I'm sure it wouldn't if you're a suspect but there you go. Also, I watched this on Amazon and it showed as NC17???? I thought it was pretty tame.

The wife and kids are enjoying a late summer vacation in Seoul & Cheju Island so I've had some free time to catch up on some recent Korean flicks.

IN-RANG (Kim Jee-Woon's Korean remake of JIN-ROH) was decent, but a little underwhelming. As expected, it takes a little too on-the-nose dive into typical melodramatics and cliches but then also takes a weird Hollywood final boss fight turn at the end that I don't recall seeing in the original anime. At least the storm-trooper battle scenes are well shot & realized (love the sound design), and the Grace Omega theme song is used twice, which was much appreciated. KJW still knows how to stage & shoot exciting gunfights. Probably the most squibs I've seen in a non-Korean war film. Not bad, but a weaker entry in his filmography. He should've kept the original ending too.

THE WITCH: PART 1 - THE SUBVERSION was an entertaining Korean mish-mash of X-MEN, PUSH, LUCY, STRANGER THINGS and about a dozen other commercial properties. Written/Directed by Park Hoon-Jung (V.I.P., THE TIGER, etc.), who has now fully become the Korean David Ayer. If THE NEW WORLD was his FURY, then this is his BRIGHT/SUICIDE SQUAD. Bloody / violent as hell and the non-stop profanity got on my nerves (and the English dialog scenes made me wince) but it's anchored by a star-making performance from newcomer Kim Da-Mi (I think she won the best actress award in Fantastic Fest), and a hilarious supporting role by another actress I'm not familiar w/ that plays her best friend. This one was pretty successful in Korea so I expect the sequel is already green-lit.
I watched Liu Chia-Liang's Legendary Weapons of China, I don't think Liu get's enough credit as a director, he's a pretty great visual stylist but it's the fight scenes where he really shines, this has some of the best fight choreography in his entire body of work.
(07-30-2018, 05:09 PM)ska oreo Wrote: Considering their's a thread about economic storytelling currently up...

Holy shit is the Villainess a movie that could have benefited from a much tighter script.

I finally checked this out after an Amazon blind-purchase following a recent price drop.

Yeah, not too good.  A couple of decent front-loaded action setpieces didn't really make up for the soggy and uninteresting melodrama and bizarre story-telling flourishes.  And the green-screen work during the bus finale was just plain terrible & distracting.  Kim Ok-Vin has a weirdly non-emotive face in this, which I never noticed in THIRST or FRONT LINE.  Or maybe that was a deliberate choice to get her expression to align w/ her appearance pre-plastic surgery.

I guess for the price of a pack of cigarettes I can't really complain.  Just hope the director has better luck on his upcoming AFTERBURN w/ Gerard Butler.
Here's the trailer for the IP MAN spinoff. 

(09-11-2018, 03:44 PM)isao kanemasa Wrote:
(07-30-2018, 05:09 PM)ska oreo Wrote: Considering their's a thread about economic storytelling currently up...

I finally checked this out after an Amazon blind-purchase following a recent price drop.

Yeah, not too good.  A couple of decent front-loaded action setpieces didn't really make up for the soggy and uninteresting melodrama and bizarre story-telling flourishes.  And the green-screen work during the bus finale was just plain terrible & distracting.  Kim Ok-Vin has a weirdly non-emotive face in this, which I never noticed in THIRST or FRONT LINE.  Or maybe that was a deliberate choice to get her expression to align w/ her appearance pre-plastic surgery.

I guess for the price of a pack of cigarettes I can't really complain.  Just hope the director has better luck on his upcoming AFTERBURN w/ Gerard Butler.

It's just all over the place.  The Villainess has the plots of at least three different movies.

Basically, The Raid 3 has been pretty much confirmed cancelled since Gareth Edwards has stated no real interest in continuing with the franchise.  However, there's a new film by the Mo Brothers (Killers, Headshot) that basically uses many of the key actors from the Raid film, including Iko Uwais.  The Night Comes From us, pretty much following in the tradition of Headshot as being The Raid 2.5, has been getting rave reviews at Fantastic Fest, wish some calling it even more violent than The Raid 2.

Quote:The story here is thin and familiar and it shatters into a million shards (like the bones of so many people in this movie) once things get going. That’s fine. Characters don’t evolve or learn lessons here. They just kill each other. Anyway, you’ve seen this premise before: a brutal Triad enforcer (Taslim) chooses to save a young girl rather than execute her. What happens next is what’s fresh: a monstrous war between him and his allies and countless machete-wielding criminals (led by Uwais) who are under orders to not tolerate traitors. Limbs are hacked off, heads are crushed, necks are snapped, bowels are removed, and human bodies are transformed into broken piles of red wreckage. Just when you think Tjahjanto has run out of ways to stage human beings decimating each other, he changes location, and introduces a new collection of weapons and a fresh batch of bad guys. Human life has never mattered less than it does in The Night Comes For Us – some fight scenes, some death scenes, boggle the mind in their staging and make you wonder just how this movie was made without actually murdering a couple dozen Indonesian stunt performers.
https://www.slashfilm.com/fantastic-fest...y-4-recap/

(09-25-2018, 04:40 PM)ska oreo Wrote: Basically, The Raid 3 has been pretty much confirmed cancelled since Gareth Edwards has stated no real interest in continuing with the franchise.  However, there's a new film by the Mo Brothers (Killers, Headshot) that basically uses many of the key actors from the Raid film, including Iko Uwais.  The Night Comes From us, pretty much following in the tradition of Headshot as being The Raid 2.5, has been getting rave reviews at Fantastic Fest, wish some calling it even more violent than The Raid 2.

Quote:The story here is thin and familiar and it shatters into a million shards (like the bones of so many people in this movie) once things get going. That’s fine. Characters don’t evolve or learn lessons here. They just kill each other. Anyway, you’ve seen this premise before: a brutal Triad enforcer (Taslim) chooses to save a young girl rather than execute her. What happens next is what’s fresh: a monstrous war between him and his allies and countless machete-wielding criminals (led by Uwais) who are under orders to not tolerate traitors. Limbs are hacked off, heads are crushed, necks are snapped, bowels are removed, and human bodies are transformed into broken piles of red wreckage. Just when you think Tjahjanto has run out of ways to stage human beings decimating each other, he changes location, and introduces a new collection of weapons and a fresh batch of bad guys. Human life has never mattered less than it does in The Night Comes For Us – some fight scenes, some death scenes, boggle the mind in their staging and make you wonder just how this movie was made without actually murdering a couple dozen Indonesian stunt performers.
https://www.slashfilm.com/fantastic-fest...y-4-recap/

That sounds like a winner to me.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
Even better, we won’t have to wait to watch it:   The Night Comes For Us premiere on Netflix October 19th

[Image: mO3FQ1d.jpg]