Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Asian Films Thread (Beware: Long-ass thread)
(09-21-2019, 01:36 PM)Nooj Wrote: if there's a Korean version of a WASPy voice... he's got it!

I love the guy's voice.  His character in My Ajusshi is so reserved, quiet and buttoned down, it works really well because it somehow manages to convey waaaaaaaay deep down that he's sitting on a well of anger he wants to let out and just can't.  I actually did a rewatch of that series a month or so back and my opinion hasn't changed - there hasn't been a kdrama quite like it and I don't know how long it will be before there is one again.  It's something special.

As for Korean sci-fi films . . . man, they really don't dip their toe in that pond much when you think about it.  I've watched literally hundreds of Korean films and I'm struggling to think of one besides Doomsday Book, which is very certainly sci-fi, but more of an anthology film - three little stories loosely woven together.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
More Asian sci-fi...
THE RESURRECTION OF THE LITTLE MATCH GIRL
I'M A CYBORG AND THAT'S OKAY
SECTOR 7
CYBORG SHE
DEAD OR ALIVE 3: FINAL
CASSHERN
G.I. SAMURAI
THE GIRL WHO LEAPT THROUGH TIME
RETURNER
SUMMER TIME MACHINE BLUES
CJ7
BATTLE OF MEMORIES
FUTURE COPS
THE WESLEY'S MYSTERIOUS FILE

Today I saw the new adaptation of MIDNIGHT DINER, starring and directed by Tony Leung Ka Fai. I haven't seen any of the popular Japanese Netflix series (or the Korean of previous-HK versions) but this collection of vignettes and characters made me smile. Heartwarming and engaging, Leung makes a fairly sold Master Chef and the stories were down to Earth and relateable. Thumbs up.
(09-22-2019, 04:36 AM)engineer Wrote: More Asian sci-fi...

I'M A CYBORG AND THAT'S OKAY

Would that be considered sci-fi?
Dang, thanks for all the great suggestions guys! For real. I love seeing sci-fi world cinema. You usually find really unique stuff..
our boy Miike's got a new movie coming out.

Just bought tickets for this for this weekend and I'm hella excited for it.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Teaser poster for Jackie Chan's VANGUARD (2020)
[Image: EFTG13sW4AEtCSa.jpg:large]
Jackie's involved in a movie with Wu Jing about mountaineers called CLIMBERS, too...

It's a cameo only.

Jackie has a project with John Cena called PROJECT EX-TRACTION. No news on when that will be coming out.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=fN5LfTSPCk8

In the mood for old school Jackie jams for some reason. If anyone needs me I'll be getting lost in some sweet air guitar/air synth action as I daydream about soaring dragons and the mountain yielding to Jackie like Carrie Lam yielding to anti extradition bill protestors
(09-24-2019, 11:14 PM)ska oreo Wrote: our boy Miike's got a new movie coming out.

This looks good.

Let us know how it is.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
Checked out Ryu Seung-Wan's (CITY OF VIOLENCE, THE UNJUST) BATTLESHIP ISLAND from 2016, based on a true story of Korean slaves/prisoners who escaped a Japanese island fortress/coal mine during WW2.

I enjoyed its technical qualities and overall performances, though the level of Japanese (and Korean sympathizer) villainy gets pretty cartoonish at times. And some of the comic relief moments were baffling. The big escape sequence at the end is scored to Morricone's Ecstasy of Gold track from THE GOOD THE BAD & THE UGLY which I thought was an interesting choice.

I guess there was some controversy at the time of release as this was maligned by the left as a nationalistic right wing stance against Japan (the brief shot in the trailer not used in the final film where the Korean prisoners run a knife/scissor thru the imperial Rising Sun flag probably cemented it) which hurt its box office, but it's probably more due to the fact that it's not as commercially appealing and satisfying as A TAXI DRIVER released around the same time (and which pretty much destroyed all competition). Too bad as it's quite ambitious and successfully realized in some areas.

Ryu's next film is another based on a true story about North/South Korean consulates escaping Somalia during the civil war in the early 90s. Kinda like a Korean version of ARGO. Starring Kim Yun Seok (THE CHASER, YELLOW SEA), Jo In-Sung (DIRTY CARNIVAL, THE GREAT BATTLE), and Huh Joon-Ho (SILMIDO, DRAGON SQUAD). Hopefully he has better luck w/ that one as his star took a pretty bad beating after this one under-performed both critically and commercially.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
Man, I miss your posts, too much knowledge in there.

Hope you've been doing well.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
Thanks man. Trying to catch up on a recent shopping spree at DDDHouse (10% summer sale got me back spending) so I've got a slew of Korean/Japanese titles still sitting unwatched. Probably will catch ASURA or THE INSIDERS next. Though Kitano's RYUZO AND THE 7 HENCHMEN also just showed up so maybe that goes to the head of the queue.
(09-26-2019, 03:43 PM)isao kanemasa Wrote: Thanks man.  Trying to catch up on a recent shopping spree at DDDHouse (10% summer sale got me back spending) so I've got a slew of Korean/Japanese titles still sitting unwatched.  Probably will catch ASURA or THE INSIDERS next.  Though Kitano's RYUZO AND THE 7 HENCHMEN also just showed up so maybe that goes to the head of the queue.

Asura!  Asura!  Wait . . . you mean Asura: City of Madness, right?  Then yes.  Asura!!!!

I agree with you about Battleship Island.  Technically there's little to bump up against, but man . . . it really leaned way too hard into the lingering resentment over the Japanese occupation and making them out to be cartoonishly evil to the point where I couldn't take it seriously.  I mean, I completely 100% understand where they're coming from, but I agree with you that it hurts them more than helps when you go so far overboard with the characterisation of the two sides.

Haven't watched too many films lately (apart from The Bunker/Take Point - that was quite fun, some really interesting shots using the drones etc).  But finally got around to watching the 2014 kdrama Bad Guys, starring our favourite teddy bear, ma Dong Seok.  I'm a couple of episodes from the finale, so assuming they don't shit the bed in the final act it's been a really fun Dirty Dozen "get the crims to capture even worse crims" story.  I'm going to be 44 soon, and I've always kept myself in relatively good shape.  But the more I watch Dong Seok's stuff, the more I realise that at this age the "clearly works out/clearly never says no to a pizza" physique really is my ideal body goal.
Yup, for less than $9 I couldn't say no (esp. since the R1 DVD never fell below $15 at Amazon).

I think what really pushed up the score for me for BATTLESHIP ISLAND was how So Ji-Seob ended that Korean sympathizer weasel.  That's Kane Hodder level of dispatch.  The man keeps his promises.

I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed his character in this (and the platonic romance that he develops w/ Lee Jung-Hyun's tragic/heroic comfort woman).  I just remembered I have his COMPANY MAN still unwatched, I'll probably give that a spin sooner than later.

The theatrical version of BAD GUYS is actually kicking ass in Korean cinemas at the moment.  I think MDS / Don Lee even recently joined in on sharing Thank You snaps (it seems customary that for every 1 million attendees the cast/crew post celebratory milestone pics on social media) in between his filming THE ETERNALS in the UK.
(09-26-2019, 08:29 PM)isao kanemasa Wrote: The theatrical version of BAD GUYS is actually kicking ass in Korean cinemas at the moment.  I think MDS / Don Lee even recently joined in on sharing Thank You snaps (it seems customary that for every 1 million attendees the cast/crew post celebratory milestone pics on social media) in between his filming THE ETERNALS in the UK.

That doesn't surprise me much.  He's like the SK version of The Rock in that EVERYBODY loves the guy.  But Bad Guys was one of the very, very few dramas to get a follow-up season (but in regular fashion it was set in that universe but not a direct follow-up with the same cast), and the fact that they've made a movie 5 years later shows the brand has value, for sure.

Since I was productive and got shit done early before work today, I just sat down and knocked over 2013's The Terror Live.  Very cool, very lean at 98 minutes for a Korean film.  "Satisfyingly thrilling thriller" if had to do a 3-word review.
Trying to remember a Korean action comedy from several years ago...
All I remember is a scene in which a guy is being chased by a bunch of other people from left to right screen direction (I think).
A car comes toward him from right to left and he grabs onto it, yanking him cartoonishly out of frame and away from his pursuers.
I think it came out just after or around films like THE CHASER, ROUGH CUT and BIG BANG.
(09-26-2019, 10:59 PM)engineer Wrote: Trying to remember a Korean action comedy from several years ago...
All I remember is a scene in which a guy is being chased by a bunch of other people from left to right screen direction (I think).
A car comes toward him from right to left and he grabs onto it, yanking him cartoonishly out of frame and away from his pursuers.
I think it came out just after or around films like THE CHASER, ROUGH CUT and BIG BANG.

It might be Running Man, but I think that was a bit later - somewhere around 2012 or so, I think.  That stunt sounds very familiar and I can't recall if it's from that film specifically because it's been a while, but that film was full of crazy stuff like that.

I saw Kitano's RYUZO AND THE 7 HENCHMEN. Not very good or funny (anyone expecting GETTING ANY LATELY level of zaniness will be solely disappointed), but a pleasant enough diversion. Sort of like GOING IN STYLE meets LAST VEGAS meets THE CREW I guess. Maybe a couple of LOL moments. The HK Bluray is barebones but I guess for less than $9 I can't say I'm too disappointed.
Takashi Miike on the ending of Kurosawa's HIGH AND LOW - https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/...gh-and-low

As time as gone on, I think HIGH AND LOW might just be my favorite of Kurosawa's. He's made several masterpieces, but that's the one I've watched the most the past few years.
I gotta check out HIGH AND LOW, long overdue. That embedded clip on the Criterion website was terrific.

I miss late-90s/early-00s Miike. ICHI THE KILLER, VISITOR Q, DOA 1&2, FUDOH, HAPPINESS OF THE KATAKURIS, etc. pretty much kicked all the asses. 13 ASSASSINS was great, and I remember enjoying HARAKIRI and parts of YAKUZA APOCALYPSE but I haven't sought out his more recent output as most of them look pretty dismal.
FIRST LOVE is apparently excellent, but I still need to catch up on, oh, 100+ Miike films, haha.

When you see HIGH AND LOW, let us know what you think! I think it's pretty darn magnificent.
Had a bit of spare time yesterday and decided to put a dent in my Korean movie pile. Started with 1987: When The Day Comes (2017) and it was pretty bloody good. Didn't want to read up too much on it, but the cast was stunningly good so threw that on and got swept up in the true events of a student that was accidentally killed during torture by the anti-communist thug branch of the police/national security team. It set off a chain of protests and civil reaction that, along with the Gwangju Uprising 7 years earlier (covered in A Taxi Driver), was a major step towards South Korea being able to get out from under their martial law dictatorship masquerading as democracy. A strong film with a fantastic cast. Definitely recommended.

Then I decided to just go with the next film on my list (alphabetically), which happened to be 2013's The Attorney. "Song Kang Ho, let's go!", I say, again not reading up on the film at all and quickly discovering that it covers very, very similar ground with some crossover references and people. Again based on a true story about a lawyer who made a small fortune by moving with social trends and focusing on things like real estate notaries and tax law. Only graduating high school he was looked down upon by the law circle to begin so he leaned into it and saw where he could make easier money than the court processes of trials.
But when a family friend's son goes missing for a month and he uncovers that he was taken without notice by national security and had been imprisoned, beaten and tortured into signing false confessions of being part of a communist cell, he takes on the "impossible" case of defending the boy. Another solid film, with Song Kang Ho being his usual brilliant self.

An unexpected hell of a double feature, that.
(10-09-2019, 12:34 PM)Mangy Wrote: When you see HIGH AND LOW, let us know what you think! I think it's pretty darn magnificent.

Totally.  I couldn't find it anywhere on my DirecTV listing so I was thinking about picking up the Criterion Blu-ray on Amazon, but as luck would have it Criterion is having a 24-hr 50% Off Flash Sale so I naturally pulled the trigger.  Looking forward to finally checking this out. 

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/song-k...202180685/

Fantastic but way too short Indiewire interview w/ Song Kang Ho during the NY press tour for PARASITE.  Cracked up at how Ehrlich describes MEMORIES OF MURDER as often favorably compared to ZODIAC (but w/ way more flying dropkicks).