Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Asian Films Thread (Beware: Long-ass thread)
We went to the cinema last night for the first time since January (Ashfall was our first and only cinema experience of 2020 up to now) to see Peninsula. Added bonus in that we didn't have to drive up to Sydney to see it - the local branch of a big chain was playing it (they also played Parasite AFTER the Oscar win) along with Train To Busan. I guess having no US films on release means they need to fill their schedule somehow, but whatever the reason, I ain't gonna complain about only driving 15 minutes instead of 90 to see a flick.

Movie's fine. It's fun. It's pretty much exactly what you expect it to be from the trailer - not even TRYING to compete with TtB, and why would you? It's just a big dumb actioner with little regard for physics or realism - not quite Fast 8/Hobbs & Shaw levels, maybe somewhere around Fast Five/6. Some very familiar faces show up and there's some great set pieces, but it won't get re-visited a fraction as much as TtB, of course.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
Familiar faces, eh? Intriguing. Sounds like I'll get my action horror fix, that is all I really expected from this. Would have been very hard for the sequel to hit those dramatic/emotional high notes again. Looking forward to it.

NZ, what did you think of Time to Hunt?
(08-08-2020, 07:56 PM)the nz natural Wrote: Movie's fine.  It's fun.  It's pretty much exactly what you expect it to be from the trailer - not even TRYING to compete with TtB, and why would you?  It's just a big dumb actioner with little regard for physics or realism - not quite Fast 8/Hobbs & Shaw levels, maybe somewhere around Fast Five/6.  Some very familiar faces show up and there's some great set pieces, but it won't get re-visited a fraction as much as TtB, of course.

Yeah, not many surprises here. Guessed the "Jane" thing from far away.

Did you like the Fury Road chase near the end?
(08-08-2020, 09:45 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Familiar faces, eh? Intriguing. Sounds like I'll get my action horror fix, that is all I really expected from this. Would have been very hard for the sequel to hit those dramatic/emotional high notes again. Looking forward to it.

NZ, what did you think of Time to Hunt?

Oh, not specific to the franchise or anything.  Kim Min-Jae plays the main antagonist, and if you have even a passing interest in Korean film or TV, you've seen him in roughly eleventy billion things already.  He's more omnipresent than God.
Time To Hunt was a solid film, but it joined the other Korean Netflix films like Revenger and the Drug King as being "yeah, good, but most of their cinematic output is generally better" for me.  I find Korean films on Netflix to be the opposite to western stuff - with western product it's the stuff that's too "outside the box" or doesn't "tick off the beige checklist" that finds a home on Netflix, whereas with Korean films it tends to be the opposite in that it feels like it maybe wouldn't get made by the studios for simply not quite being good enough.  Totally a personal opinion, though.

Quote:Felix

Yeah, not many surprises here. Guessed the "Jane" thing from far away.

Did you like the Fury Road chase near the end?

Yeah, the Jane reveal didn't come as a surprise at all, more of a chuckle.  And the car chase stuff was thrilling and fun, but like I said, your suspension of disbelief has to step out for a ciggy break or risk taking a fucking beating as far as the physics of it all went (so many times I was "there's no fucking way that truck would have that kind of acceleration off the mark" etc).  But, ya know, people enjoy the Fast/Furious franchise, I can enjoy this.

What really blows my mind though is how they can do these films on the budgets they get.  I'm not sure what it was on this but if it was over $20mil I'd be shocked.  Ashfall opened with a pretty damn realistic car escape sequence through a collapsing downtown Seoul, parachuting out of an exploding plane, multiple firefight sequences, a hue vehicle chase/crash set piece, massive scenes of a leveled Pyongyang city, huge sets like an underground missile storage bunker, a chase across a collapsing bridge between a school bus towing a nuclear detonator in a shopping cart and a Hummer and the final sequence of the volcano exploding AS WELL AS starring four of the biggest stars in the country and the budget is listed as a hair under $19mil.
That shit is staggering in comparison to the average Hollywood blockbuster.
Yeah. I feel the same way.

That said iit is possible for US films to get incredible special effects with a small budget. SKYLINE is a great example.
(08-09-2020, 06:33 AM)Felix Wrote: Yeah. I feel the same way.

That said iit is possible for US films to get incredible special effects with a small budget. SKYLINE is a great example.

Yeah, there's a few examples but they tend to fly under the radar and go largely unnoticed - it's just the way of the modern world, I guess.  Marc Bernardin on Fatman Beyond a few weeks back was talking about how he recently hosted a screening of Pitch Black and he was struck by how that film could never happen today - a film that's not based on existing IP that's sci-fi with a $20mil budget.  The budget is too high for most DTV fare these days as they just don't get the investment they used to since they get ravaged by piracy, and most major studios just aren't willing to sink any money into anything that doesn't have a built-in public identity.  It's a shame.
Agreed. Sad that this is the case. Hopefully things will change.