Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Asian Films Thread (Beware: Long-ass thread)
Netflix has several again!
Happy Birthday Song Kang Ho!

[Image: giphy.gif]
yes I am, father!!!
(12-28-2020, 07:20 PM)isao kanemasa Wrote: I pre-ordered Johns Woo/Wu Ma's JUST HEROES Blu-ray from DDDHouse to take advantage of the expiring 10% discount for 2020. I'm sure I'd be able to snag it for half price w/in a year but it's actually one of the my long standing wish list titles and I actually perked up when I saw the Pre-Order listing.

Holy horror that was a fucked up transfer of an underrated film. CN Entertainment is on my shit list forever for this abomination. Even the subtitles retain the early 90's ESL feel of the Ocean Shores laserdiscs (which is kinda charming admittedly).

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=335283

After revisiting some of the classic Shaw Bros. I had DVR'ed from the El Rey network, I love this throwback film even more. Hopefully Arrow or some other boutique label will be able to do it the proper justice at some point.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
So someone forgot to tell me that Sion motherfucking Sono is directing a new film--and it stars Nicholas Cage. It's called Prisoners of the Ghostland.

So far its been getting rave reviews, with one reddit review outright claiming this has some of the wildest action scenes you'll ever see.

So....hype?
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
I've read some scathing feedback from the GGTMC (Gentlemen's Guide to Midnight Cinema) FB group so I dunno. If it's even halfway entertaining as TOKYO TRIBE or WHY DON'T YOU PLAY IN HELL I'd consider it a win.
Just finished Sion Sono's TAG (2015), finally, after years of seeing that one clip a million times online (the one with the bus, you know the one) and must admit to having mixed feelings. It's a big hit with a 92% on RT, and I'm here like "Really?" Leaping from genre to genre at a moment's notice, it occasionally taps into the same vibe that BATTLE ROYALE, SUICIDE CIRCLE and other edgier stuff does but with - for me - a lot less to say. Without spoiling anything, I feel like the film's ultimate message, while well-intentioned, is muddled in a fairly questionable way. I dunno, I expected more. Wish I could jump on board the Sion Sono train but there's something with his stuff that keeps me at arms' length in a way that Miike's stuff never does, even though he's done three or so films I have enjoyed in the past.
Sounds like Takeshi "Beat" Kitano might be ready to call it a day with what may be his final film and a Netflix biopic on the way...

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/kitan...i9id1TSxDs
Finally watched 1998's WHISPERING CORRIDORS

Despite the rough quality of the DVD I watched, the filmmaking was strong even though the scares were minimal.

The actual horror, of course, came from the monstrous portrayal of abusive teachers at an all-girls high school.

I was going "EHEHEHEHE" once the hauntings started terrorizing the pervy male teacher that got his kicks slapping the shit out of young women
just watched A HARD DAY (2014)

because I kinda can't stand Lee Sun Kyun (the rich dad from PARASITE who got what was coming to him!), his misfortunes in this movie were a great source of comedy

it helps that he plays such a pathetic dummy and the movie knows it
I need to set aside some time to catch up on that and GANGSTER/COP/DEVIL, both still sitting unopened on my shelf.

I also have an aversion to LSK, but I kinda dug him recently in TAKE POINT. He's the Korean Chris Walken in that almost everyone can do a pretty spot on impression of his line delivery. Just talk like an exaggerated smarmy asshole while imagining you're a Anthony Wong character from the '90s and you're already 70% there.
oh man... I totally forgot I went to see GANGSTER/COP/DEVIL in theaters

clearly it didn't leave any impact, but I recall I enjoyed it fine for Ma Dong Seok

hahahaha, my LSK voice is basically me going "UH DUHHHHHHH...." and then shrieking
Netflix spending crazy money on producing original Korean content in 2021:

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/k-pop/k-m...t-2021-and

Some of these titles sound pretty cool.  And I guess Gianna Jun/Jun Ji-Hyun is starring in a spin-off KINGDOM prequel and not an official Season 3.
(02-24-2021, 03:14 AM)Nooj Wrote: just watched A HARD DAY (2014)

because I kinda can't stand Lee Sun Kyun (the rich dad from PARASITE who got what was coming to him!), his misfortunes in this movie were a great source of comedy

it helps that he plays such a pathetic dummy and the movie knows it

I'm a big Lee Sun Kyun fan . . . I just dig the guy every time he turns up.  His performance in My Mister is bloody great.  And I love A Hard Day in that it's just that perfect level of outrageously over the top.  It's a joyously fun little b-thriller if only because, like you said, asshole deserves all of it.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
Oh god I remember A HARD Day. The first act is hilarious in how much of a bad day it is for this poor, corrupt cop.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
finally saw THE QUIET FAMILY!

now I finally have a Kim JeeWoon film I actually like!!

what a riot!
HK cinema stalwart Ng Man Tat dies of liver cancer at 70:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/ng...d=msedgdhp

I first remember seeing him in A BETTER TOMORROW 2 as the rival gang boss whose plan to take down Dean Shek backfires spectacularly w/in the opening 5 minutes but he truly found his calling when he teamed up w/ Stephen Chow on all those classic 90s/00s comedies.  He was just recently diagnosed too so it's especially tragic.  RIP Golden Leg.
oh damn... I watched LOVE ON DELIVERY pretty recently

I’ll miss his cocaine pinky nail