Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Wheel of Time
The Wheel of Time.
Any fans of this long winded but horribly addictive series?
Plenty of fans on these boards as evidenced by this six month old <a href="http://http://chud.com/board/ubbhtml/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=48;t=000209" target="_blank">thread.</a>

I'm just linking to the thread in case you wanted to read a discussion on the latest book.

As for myself I'm kind of avoiding the Wheel of Time series untill the final book is written because I have a feeling that the author of the series will die of old age before he writes the final chapter. The same feeling I got five books in to the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

I only respect an author that has the guts to end the series that they created and finally move on to a different fantasy world with different characters. Though certain authors are excempted from this rule, like Terry Prachett. because each book he writes is in itself a different story with different characters. And how could anyone get tired of Discworld?

&lt;&lt;edited for spelling&gt;&gt;

I'm still a big fan of the series, even though the last 3 books have dragged on with no major developments in the overall story. The first seven books of this series were fantastic. Great action along with interesting character development.

In the past 3 books Jordan has added too many characters, and has not developed the main characters in the story. In addition the major plot lines have not been advanced significantly since book 7.

Hopefully the next book will return to break neck action and character development of the first 7 books of the series.

If you enjoy the Wheel of Time, definitely read the series A Song of Fire and Ice by George RR Martin. This is best fantasy series going currently.
Quote:

Tonis:
... definitely read the series A Song of Fire and Ice by George RR Martin. This is best fantasy series going currently.

Amen to that.
Seconded on the Martin.

Wheel of Time is the new Neverending Story. Literally.
I'll have to check that out.
If you enjoy good writing, you won't be disappointed.

If you enjoy good fantasy writing, you'll be fucking thrilled. Martin's series is simply astounding.
Is Game of Thrones supposed to be getting good? I know I shouldn't judge the book on the first 47 pages or so but this has been anything but....well, anything.
I'll add my two cents on the R.R. Martin books. Like many on this thread, I was a big fan of the WOT until it became the longest soap-opera saga in history. I swear to God, if I read one more line about how Mat thinks Perrin understands women, Perrin thinks Mat understands women, how the women dress....oh, who gives a shit!?!

But then again, like a lemming I will go and buy the next one (and the next one and the next one and the next one...) until the series is finished. I can't have wasted this much time on it and not finish it. And the first few books were really good.

But the Martin series is out of this world. It is not only written extremely well, but the characterization has blown me away. Hell, my favorite character book only lived through a few chapters. This is truly the first fantasy series written for adults.
Quote:

BigHeadTooler:
I'll add my two cents on the R.R. Martin books. [...] the Martin series is out of this world. It is not only written extremely well, but the characterization has blown me away. Hell, my favorite character book only lived through a few chapters. This is truly the first fantasy series written for adults.

OK, you guys finally convinced me. Borders visited. Books bought. Anticipation high.
Marcus, be sure to give the Martin books some time. Don't try to rush through them, enjoy how they build up. Like one of the other posters stated, the books get better each one with the last being the strongest in the series (IMHO).
Quote:

BigHeadTooler:
Marcus, be sure to give the Martin books some time. Don't try to rush through them, enjoy how they build up. Like one of the other posters stated, the books get better each one with the last being the strongest in the series (IMHO).

Thanks for the advice BigHead. I do have a tendency to try to gulp down books I'm excited about reading. This time I'll take small bites and chew thoroughly.
I picked up A Game of Thrones per you guys suggestions, and all I can say is "shit!"
I have read more than half of the book in the past three days, and I can hardly put it down. The characters, dialogue, and subtle humor of the work have completely enthralled me. Thanks for the advice guys! I am already looking foward to buying the next book even though I'm not done with the first.
I think I like Jon Snow or Tyrion Lannister best.
All of the characters are good though.
I've heard George R. R. Martin himself say that Tyrion is HIS favorite.
Oh ... and, by the way, I love that a Wheel of Time thread has become about the Song of Ice and Fire. FUCK YOU, JORDAN!
Blofeld, Jordan would respond but he is too busy trying to write his way out of 1,000 different dangling plot lines. I hear that he thinks that 47 page descriptions of Perrin debating to keep his axe will shut up his critics.
How about a 100 page discussion on who knows more about women?? Matt thinks Rand and Perrin know more. Rand thinks Matt and Perrin know more. Perrin thinks Matt and Rand know more. Jordan has beaten that point to death !

Lucky for Jordan there are so many faithful fans that got hooked on the first 7 books in the series, that they will stick with series until the end
Martin's first book has been replaced by Inside the Delta Force. I've read some 100 something pages too of Martin but hasn't worked for me at all. Though I'd say the kid had it coming.

Martin has gained no allegiance here.

Though that may change I suppose I am just saying that here to spite you fan boys!

HUZZAH!

Ah well, as much as I agree with you in regards to Jordan's "GREAT NOVEL" quest (350914579347597345687389 pages anyone?) I can still stand up for myself and say I don't think Martin's all that. It's kinda like the same thing for those who think the Sopranos and Six Feet Under are all that too.
I'm getting close to the end of A Game of Thrones and it just keeps getting better. Jesus. I'm gonna have the first three read within the next month or two and then have to wait for the next installment. Argggh! I'm not so sure I should be thanking you guys anymore. Its like thanking someone for introducing you to heroin or crack.

qwerty, I also thoroughly enjoyed the DragonLance Chronicles. The follow up Trial of the Twins series was good as well. To me, they are a lot less intense than Martin, but they are very entertaining and enjoyable (like a popcorn movie). I think the last few Lance books have been very disappointing though. They stretched the series out too far, it should have ended with the final goings on of Raistlin and Cameron.

Speaking of Hickman and Weiss, I found their Death Gate cycle to be better than the Lance books. Like a lot of their series though, the first few were the best of the bunch and the later ones just so-so.

CTD, you're welcome to your opinion of course, but no need to deride the fans of the Martin books just because they disagree with you.
Quote:

qwerty uiop
[QB]I think a few hundred pages of Nynaeve and Elanye bitching at each other ought to do it. Those are always entertaining. Or perhaps another couple of chapters featuring the bad guys that don't get identified.... ever.

QB]

and 78 pages of Nynaeve teaching some sea-folk windfinders, who get huffy with her, causing her to go into a tiff. the sea-folk all have to be identified by name of course, and we'll get detailed descriptions of their clothing, complexion, eye-color, hairstyle...
nothing like lengthy descriptions of characters no one cares about to add "texture" to your epic.

I just hope he keeps to his brilliant "lets not have the main character show up until 300 pages into the novel" motif. This really allows lots more space to delve into important developments like what the andoran farmer rand bought some turnips from in book one is currently doing or the state of the squash crop in Emond's field

How could you not be riveted? Martin can take all that breathtaking pacing intertwined with sublime characterization stuff and keep it. I mean, if things actually HAPPEN then the story might come to an end eventually. who wants that.

Hey, how about more page and a half-long descriptions of what they're eating? And have Nynaeve tug on her braid one more time, please, for me?

I officially gave up on Wheel of Time when the character who was actually supposed to walk the Path of Daggers -- Matt -- never even showed up in the book Path of Daggers. WTF?!?
Wheel of Time will always have a special place in my heart, as it was the first fantasy series I had ever read and I have been reading it for 10 years now. I will, like a sheep, buy every book because I can't have invested this much time and not come to a conclusion. Winter's Heart was actually one of the better books in the series. Crossroads of Twilight would have been great if SOMETHING...ANYTHING...would have happened.

That being said: Song of Ice and Fire is the best Modern Fantasy series there is. Period. CT, give it a chance bud. It is without comparison.

And it definitly deserves its own thread, especially when A Feast for Crows comes out. (April?)

I am no longer thanking you guys for suggesting A Song of Ice and Fire, because I am now hooked like a crack addled trout. I'm going to buy the second book tomorrow and try to read it slow so that I won't end up finishing the remaining novels and then have to wait for the rest. This is the best first novel of any series I've ever read. My mind is blown. Can it get better?
It can get better -- A Storm of Swords will knock you out of your seat. Martin has stuff go down that has made the wait for Feast for Crows interminable.
How long has the wait been for book 4, 4 years? The preposed 5 year gap is turning into reality.

Quote:

The Thief:
I am no longer thanking you guys for suggesting A Song of Ice and Fire, because I am now hooked like a crack addled trout. I'm going to buy the second book tomorrow and try to read it slow so that I won't end up finishing the remaining novels and then have to wait for the rest. This is the best first novel of any series I've ever read. My mind is blown. Can it get better?

I'm in the exact same boat, man. Game of Thrones just DEVOURED my weekend. I bought all three at once, but my eyes are completely shot or I'd be starting the next one right now.

I can't remember the last time a book did this to me.
Mat was supposed to walk the Path of Daggers?

Clearly I need to reread.

But I won't, because quite frankly, the books lost me when Rand got three girlfriends.
Quote:

prala is just for jk:
Mat was supposed to walk the Path of Daggers?

Yeah, when he and Rand went into that Freme-- oops, I meant Aeil city and had their visions, Mat saw himself walking a path of daggers.
That just shows you reading fast doesn't mean reading smart.

Do I even WANT the new book? I hate getting all into it and then getting disinterested. frown
Damn you all!!!
I am like one posessed now!!!
I must read, and read, and read, until all my days are done!!!!
But the words are growing thin as I read and before long I will be in the limbo of those left to wonder!
Wondering for days and weeks what will transpire to the people and places I have come to love!!
Years it might take....

I am truly damned...

but I thank you all...
Wait. What is the new one called vs. the Next?
Thief, wait until you read a Storm of Swords. I was up until 4:00 AM finishing that book. A SOS was the best book I have read in a long time. Not just a fantasy book, but any book period. Martin is great writer.