Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Wheel of Time
The menagerie is so emblematic of all that's wrong with the latter half of the series. And it's hilarious/groan-inducing that it's obvious Jordan LOOOOOOOVED the menagerie.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Double speed, basically homebound; it's amazing how quickly you can listen to a book when you don't actually have to listen to the book because nothing is goddamn happening.

Well, nice to know something happened there at the end. Even if who was doing what where and when was a touch confusing; it was still the most riveting sequence in the entirety of Winter's Heart, and I think about the only thing that justifies its existence. So the Taint is gone, as well as Shadar Logoth. Took forever to get there. I hope the hunting of the renegade asha'man is just a very well done montage if the show ever gets there.

Feeling the cement at my feet. It hasn't dried yet, so I'm still trudging through it but it's getting harder and harder. There are so many wind finders, tower Aes Sedai, Salidar Aes Sedai, Cadsuane's people, all of Elayne's politicking, Faile's plotting, that new guy with Mat, it's getting to be too much for the amount of words being written. I'm 9 in, so obviously I'm seeing this to the end at this point - sunk costs and all.

I wish I could tell you it gets better re: the profusion of names, characters, and politicking.

It doesn't.

And for some reason, I thought the Taint was wiped out at the end of Book 11! Regardless of which book it's in, it's amazingly clunky and anticlimactic. Through the first six (arguably seven) books, one thing Jordan did well was giving us a climactic battle which was clearly described and exciting to read. The cleansing of the Taint (guffaw) is, as you said, confusing and just not exciting.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

I honestly thought cleansing the Taint (it is hilarious) would be another two or three books. When it finally started, I thought, but there’s a half hour left...

Are the Forsaken, I dunno, good at anything directly Rand-related?

Nope. Their inability to kill him gets more and more unbelievable as the series goes on. If you ever reread/relisten to the first few books and keep in mind what the later books reveal they're capable of, their incompetence is pretty staggering.

I've finished EMPIRE OF GRASS.

I am without excuse. So...after doing some wiki reading of books 8-10, I'm gonna start in with KNIFE OF DREAMS and try to finish the damn series.

(03-23-2020, 05:57 PM)MichaelM Wrote: I've finished EMPIRE OF GRASS.

I am without excuse. So...after doing some wiki reading of books 8-10, I'm gonna start in with KNIFE OF DREAMS and try to finish the damn series.

Knife of Dreams ... hurm ...

Reading this thread is so cathartic.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
We aim to please!

Started THE GATHERING STORM last night.

Gotta admit, thus far, Overlord's correct. HUGE improvement in just the 40 pages I've read thus far. Sanderson's prose isn't too beautiful but it moves and keeps me intereted. Which is more than the previous four books did.

(03-27-2020, 07:57 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Started THE GATHERING STORM last night.

Gotta admit, thus far, Overlord's correct. HUGE improvement in just the 40 pages I've read thus far. Sanderson's prose isn't too beautiful but it moves and keeps me intereted. Which is more than the previous four books did.

[Image: tenor.gif]

Goddammit. Luca and his menagerie.

The worst.

But you're not done with him yet.

Great. More Seanchen to “care” about. This one a thirsty guard who has the hots for Tuon. All that page real estate that could be better spent on, I dunno, preparing for the end of the world.

Photo 
[Image: 7hn2w9rv7to41.jpg?width=761&auto=webp&s=...fe0fece031]
Someday, you’re going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee.

PSN ID: anakinsdad

That's tremendous.

Glorious.

Bravo.

That's the perfect summary. Wonderful.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I'm nearly 12 hours into listening to Crossroads of Twilight and I think the only major thing that has happened was the off-screen death of a B-level character.

I'm 200 pages into GATHERING STORM and I've started skimming parts. Mostly with Egwene's storyline.

Hey Rand! Nice to see you again after you did that WORLD-CHANGING THING IN THE LAST BOOK. But you know, like half a chapter is cool.