Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Wheel of Time
Nope. No, no, no, no.

I mean, I can barely even make myself read the blogger's summary about those parts. It's beyond my conception that people would LIKE when the book comes to a complete halt and goes literally nowhere for hundreds of pages.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
But Elayne gets to trapeze or something!

The person doing the reread blog for WOT on Tor's site posted an essay about how Siuan's experience in being stilled (the reread is in the middle of Fires of Heaven, prior to Siuan being Healed and having her ability to channel restored) relates their real world experience of being a trans person:

https://www.tor.com/2020/12/08/siuan-san...l-of-time/

I know that may sound boring and overly woke but I found both a really insightful read as well something that helped me get a better, more personal understanding of what it means to be trans. Note that the writer is NOT positing that such an analogy was Jordan's intent. This is their own analysis, finding their own meaning in the text - but I don't think it does violence to the source material nor does it grab me as too much a stretch.

It's not a long read, so worth your time.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

They like the menagerie sequences? No amount of wokeness or identity perspective can make me forgive them!

However, I will check that out. Seems Aran’gar would be a better subject, but I am intrigued.

No, the blogger seems neutral on the menagerie (they've only just begun that part of the narrative). It was some commenters that proudly claimed their love of those parts of the story.

Considering the blog is only now hitting what might be considered the first part of THE SLOG - and that only in part, as the non-menagerie parts of Fires of Heaven are pretty good - I'm really curious as to what their reaction will be once they get to Book 7 and onward.

I completely forgot about that charming interlude where the Princess of Andor becomes a traveling acrobat. Jordan's loving descriptions of her nubile physique and wispy outfit indicate that it was a sideplot near and dear to his ... his ... heart. Yes, his heart.

It's not the worst part of the series - that would be the entirety of Book 10 - but it's definitely a low point. Frankly, I find just about everything to do with Egwene, Nynaeve, and Elayne to be borderline pablum once you get past Lord of Chaos, and it doesn't really change until Book 11. And even then...only maybe.

But then Sanderson salvages Egwene in a way I wouldn't have thought possible. Elayne, for me, remains a lost cause.

(12-18-2020, 10:40 PM)MichaelM Wrote: It's not the worst part of the series - that would be the entirety of Book 10 - but it's definitely a low point. Frankly, I find just about everything to do with Egwene, Nynaeve, and Elayne to be borderline pablum once you get past Lord of Chaos, and it doesn't really change until Book 11. And even then...only maybe.

But then Sanderson salvages Egwene in a way I wouldn't have thought possible. Elayne, for me, remains a lost cause.

Well put, old-timer.

After inhaling the entirety of Sanderson's Cosmere collection (no small feat that), my Dad has begun the epic quest of the Wheel of Time series. I've already given him the basic plan: 1-7ish great, 8-11 bad, 12-14 good (he likes Sanderson, so he should enjoy the finale...assuming he makes it through that roughest of rough patches!)

Will occasionally update here with how he's doing and also relay any questions he might have to Mike and Ovie. My dad goes heavy on googling and devouring every scrap the internet can cull together, so I'm sure there'll be some fascinating insights and questions as he moves along.

That's great, doc! Please do share your dad's reactions and questions, as you're able.

(01-21-2021, 05:19 PM)doc happenin Wrote: After inhaling the entirety of Sanderson's Cosmere collection (no small feat that), my Dad has begun the epic quest of the Wheel of Time series. I've already given him the basic plan: 1-7ish great, 8-11 bad, 12-14 good (he likes Sanderson, so he should enjoy the finale...assuming he makes it through that roughest of rough patches!)

Will occasionally update here with how he's doing and also relay any questions he might have to Mike and Ovie. My dad goes heavy on googling and devouring every scrap the internet can cull together, so I'm sure there'll be some fascinating insights and questions as he moves along.

1=good.
2-5=great
6=very good
7=okay
8-11=egads (Crossroads of Twilight is the worst "series entry" by a major fantasy author I have ever seen)
12=great
13=good
14=very good

He describes Moraine as the 'plucky, independent magician gal!'

:: tugs braid ::

(01-21-2021, 06:18 PM)doc happenin Wrote: He describes Moraine as the 'plucky, independent magician gal!'

:: tugs braid ::

HAHAHAHAHAH

That's just beautiful.
Blood and bloody ashes, what have I done?

He just got to the part where Egwene learns she's to train as an Aes Sedai. His reaction, "Poor love struck Rand."

I told him Rand will be juuuuust fine.