Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current reading
Currently listening to Tom Sweterlitsch’s ‘The Gone World’ and goddamn, HBO, this is your third season of True Detective right here.
Maori education continues. Why We Sleep made me terrified to have less than 8 hours a day.

The Hidden Family (Merchant Princes 2) by Charles Stross was good and expanded that whole universe in a very satisfying way. Was reading his bibliography and that is one prolific writer.

Started The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin. It's good, and I am enjoying it, but I'm finding it a little ... well, I'm not sure if it's the translation but it seems a little flat. The writing is very declarative and I'm not sure if that's him and his style, or not. It feels like watching a dubbed Chinese movie and I can't shake the feeling the translation is losing something.

Good enough to keep going and it will be interesting reading book 2, which has a different translator.
Whāia te iti kahurangi ki te tūohu koe me he maunga teitei
'Paris in the Present Tense' is Mark Helprin's best novel since 'Soldier of the Great War.' I laughed. I cried. I hugged my wife.
I've seen so many good people in my life that I've almost lost my faith in the wickedness of humankind.

--Will Durant

http://netflixjunkie.blogspot.com/
Working my way through the second book (Fool's Quest, I think) of the Robin Hobb Farseer/Liveship saga. She's devolving as a writer, IMHO, and this finale series has been a tedious, epic slog. If I hadn't already invested 11 (far superior) novels in this same setting I would have given up.

On the other hand, I'm tearing through the now-forgotten classic Horn of the Hunter by Ruark. The vibe is pure Hemingway. Horn of the Hunter and Death in the Long Grass are glimpses into a lost (maybe for the best) way of life that feels incredibly alien today, even though the professional hunter featured in the novel only passed away a few months ago.

There are some all-time great quotes about becoming fed up with the trappings of civilization.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
The Three Body problem had some genuinely fantastic ideas later on in the piece. So I purchased the second book.

Also got Babylon's Ashes (Expanse:6) and Firefall by Peter Watts to keep that "first contact" thing going.

Got All Systems Red (Murderbot Diaries 1) by Martha Wells out of the library and ripped through it on the plane today. Tremendous read with a very engaging protagonist.  Looking forward to the next 2.

As an aside I've been listening to the Philosophise This podcast rather than music on Spotify lately, and this overview of the historical progress of philosophy has really enhanced my enjoyment of all this speculative scifi.
Whāia te iti kahurangi ki te tūohu koe me he maunga teitei
'Horn of the Hunter' sounds intriguing. On my list it goes.
I've seen so many good people in my life that I've almost lost my faith in the wickedness of humankind.

--Will Durant

http://netflixjunkie.blogspot.com/
(Today, 05:44 AM)frankcobretti Wrote: 'Horn of the Hunter' sounds intriguing.  On my list it goes.

I think you'll like it!  

I find it pretty interesting that the author specifically tried to go on a safari with some of the guides who worked with Hemingway.  Adds some interesting backstory.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]