Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Official Box Office Thread
So few movies recoup solely from their domestic take, I won't say for sure that it will. Next weekend will tell the tale, and while it appears HELLBOY is scoring well with audiences, there's the problem of four new movies opening wide on the 9th. I'm most interested in seeing how THE GIRL NEXT DOOR does, since it's the most appealing of the bunch (and a fun movie, to boot). The rest -- ELLA ENCHANTED, THE WHOLE TEN YARDS and THE ALAMO -- is dross.
I think The Girl Next Door is going to be a sleeper hit, a Diet Something About Mary, if the film is worth a damn on any level. Big thumbs up for the use of The Darkness in their marketing.
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean Bateman
... a Diet Something About Mary...

How do you type that and not cringe?
Practice. Wasn't the best way of putting it, as you've obviously realized.
Quote:

Originally posted by Werbal_Kint

6. Attack of the Jesus- $9.8

Here's the scary part... I bet "The Passion" was under-estimated (again) because these estimates came out EARLY Sunday (before any theaters were even open for business) and yesterday just happened to be Palm Sunday, the official beginning of Holy Week. Also, the estimate projected a higher week-to-week drop off for Sunday than either Friday or Saturday. Don't see that happening.

The film is a unique box office machine... and the next 7 days will tell the tale on where it will wind up domestically.
I actually feel kinda special I haven't seen Passion yet.
You're hardly alone. It's not exactly TITANIC.

Plus, there are many people who refuse to see the film (some, because they're "afraid" of the violence and others who simply are turned off and don't want to see it).

And then there are those who want to see it but haven't yet. I think a portion of them will turn out this week and over Easter weekend.
I'm not opposed to seeing it. I'd just rather keep my six-fifty because it's not something I really feel the need to see.
Quote:

Originally posted by Werbal_Kint
I'm not opposed to seeing it. I'd just rather keep my six-fifty because it's not something I really feel the need to see.

$6.50?? Damn, that's cheap. For Hellboy, this past weekend, I shelled out $40 bucks, for two tickets, two drinks, and popcorn.

As to your reasonings to not having seen The Passion, I'm right with ya bud. It just hasn't compelled me.
Well, $6.50 is the price of a matinee around here, and I don't usually buy any concessions.

Night time showings are $8.00, but I usually avoid those.
Quote:

Originally posted by Gigolo Joe
For Hellboy, this past weekend, I shelled out $40 bucks, for two tickets, two drinks, and popcorn.

Wow... if that were the rate here, I'd have to wait for everything to hit video....
I've avoided The Passion so far because I want to form my own opinion of it. I think if I'm filled with a theater of Catholics/Christians/Melists sobbing or getting into the movie, it will affect my experience. Who knows? I may love it, but I'm going to wait at least another week and catch a sparsley filled matinee showing.
Bateman, I've seen it twice now (in sold-out theaters) and aside from an occasional wince during the torture and some sniffling here and there during certain moments I can't remember hearing much from the audience. This isn't really an audience participation film, where people jump up and cheer, clap, cry and moan loudly, or whatever.

Then again, I guess it depends on the demographics of the theater in which you see it. Thankfully, we tend to be pretty balanced in the Atlanta suburbs. We get a little bit of everybody.

That said, the first time I saw it was at a screening arranged by my local Parish. So I suspect most of the audience was made up of praticing Catholics (though anyone could have purchased tickets). Still, this crowd was completely silent throughout the film (aside from the aforementioned occasional wincing/sniffling). But many did give it a standing ovation once the credits rolled (a practive I have long found annoying, personally).
C'mon, let's be honest. Considering how over-pimped Hellboy was on CHUD, anything less than $40 mil is a disappointment.

A lot of people are trying to rationalize that a $23 mil take is pretty good. If anything, $23 mil means there weren't as may die-hard fans of HB as first believed. Cuz all the fanboys would've driven the BO in the first weekend. I'm expecting more than a 50% drop-off next weekend.

I don't think there will be a significant word of mouth, cuz I haven't heard anyone who wasn't a prior fan before the movie thinking it was anything special.
C'mon, let's be honest. I just read this exact post somewhere else....
I accidentally put the first post in the wrong thread. So sue me.
I don't think a $23 million opening for HELLBOY is bad or disappointing. It's certainly not great, and I'm sure they were hoping for more... but those are solid numbers. I do believe, however, that the WALKING TALL affect is being just a tad overplayed. Without that film I think Hellgentleman, Abe, and company make aboutr$5-6 million more, tops. I doubt it would have hit $30 mil regardless. It's a discredit to The Rock and WALKING TALL to assume most of those who went out to see that would have just gone to see HELLBOY instead. I think Mr. Johnson has proven that he can draw a $10-15 million opening.

That said, the final numbers come out this afternoon. And the films (HELLBOY included) could have been either over or under-estimated a bit.

I'm actually thinking (hoping) that HELLBOY was a tad under-estimated and that the final numbers will wind up somewhere between $24-25 million. If it's overestimated (doubtful) though then I can't see that as anything other than a small bummer.
Quote:

Originally posted by Carl Cunningham

I'm actually thinking (hoping) that HELLBOY was a tad under-estimated

Really? I'm hoping it was a Tad Hamiltoned.
Either way, it Wins!
Quote:

Originally posted by Spider99
C'mon, let's be honest. Considering how over-pimped Hellboy was on CHUD, anything less than $40 mil is a disappointment.

Geez, I love Nick and all, but I wasn't aware CHUD was driving films to $40 million openings nowadays. That's fantastic! Advertising must be through the fucking roof. Congrats, Nick!!!
Quote:

Originally posted by Clarence Beaks
Geez, I love Nick and all, but I wasn't aware CHUD was driving films to $40 million openings nowadays. That's fantastic! Advertising must be through the fucking roof. Congrats, Nick!!!

You should see the campaign Nick has planned for "I Heart Huckabees". We're gonna make a fucking new franchise with this one!
The print ad which ran in yesterday's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette blurbed Nick and one other critic. The ad gave Nick's organ of origin as CNN Headline News, and made no mention of chud.
Man, internet people are nuts.
Who's up for a CHUD box office triple feature:

Equilibrium
Club Dread
Hellboy

We'll have the theater all to ourselves.
Gruber's not invited because he didn't like Club Dread or Equilibrium. He'd probably throw his Mr. Pibb at the screen.
Quote:

Originally posted by Rex Hudler
The print ad which ran in yesterday's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette blurbed Nick and one other critic. The ad gave Nick's organ of origin as CNN Headline News, and made no mention of chud.

wouldn't nick's organ of origin belong to his dad?
Quote:

Originally posted by Carl Cunningham
Here's the scary part... I bet "The Passion" was under-estimated (again) because these estimates came out EARLY Sunday (before any theaters were even open for business) and yesterday just happened to be Palm Sunday, the official beginning of Holy Week.

Boom. Weekend actuals just released (at http://www.boxofficemojo.com):

1 Hellboy 23.17 / 23.17
2 Walking Tall 15.50 / 15.5
3 Scooby-doo 2: Monsters... 14.79 / 49.7
4 Home On The Range 13.88 / 13.9
5 The Passion Of The Christ 10.61 / 330.9
6 The Prince & Me 9.41 / 9.4
7 The Ladykillers 7.09 / 23.5
8 Jersey Girl 5.12 / 15.8
9 Dawn Of The Dead 4.58 / 51.8
10 Taking Lives 3.50 / 27.5

That's almost a full million more for The Passion than what was estimated. All because Sunday was under-estimated, as expected. It grossed over $4 million on Sunday, which was down only 2% from Saturday and 6.7% from last week. It wouldn't surprise me to see it get a nice boost over Easter weekend now.
It's the day of rest, cocksuckers. If God knew you were eating popcorn you'd be dead by now. You're lucky Ennis was right.
Uh, Bateman... I think you are getting your religions confused. It is the Jewish faith that observes the total "day of rest" (the Saturday Sabbath), not Christians.
I wasn't serious.
Well, I figured as much from the Garth Ennis "Preacher" reference. Just wanted to point out the "day of rest" thing.
I'm well versed in Christianity, to a point of excess unfortunately.
Quote:

Originally posted by Rex Hudler

The quote was from my CNN column.
Monday Numbers (from BoxOfficeMojo.com):

1 Hellboy $1,872,306
2 The Passion of the Christ $1,291,725
3 Walking Tall $1,255,437
4 Home on the Range $1,209,828
5 Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed $1,141,225
6 The Prince and Me $751,164
7 The Ladykillers $515,274
8 Dawn of the Dead $471,335
9 Jersey Girl $433,000
10 Taking Lives $312,272

Not a bad drop at all for Hellboy's first Monday (only down 67.9% instead of the typical 75+%). VERY good sign.

Passion continues to roll... shooting up to #2 again and actually moving UP 8.3% from last Monday. But that could be an indication of it being Holy Week as much as anything. It will definitely be interesting to see what happens this weekend.
Carl if we took all of my posts mentioning Hellboy and yours mentioning Passion away, the boards would disappear.