Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids getting killed in the movies
All adults have a parental instinct towards children, which as far as I understand it is a chemical reaction to visual stimulus of a child's larger eyes, head and unformed frailer form that alarms the body when they see a child in danger. This reaction works just as well when a child is seen on screen(which is what made the end of Hard Boiled so great IMO) so that if a horror film really wants to fuck with the audience's nerves, it makes more sense to put a young child in immediate dangers than an adult. Essentially, we automatically care whether or not a child escapes the slasher/monster/rabid flea than some adult who is usually too stupid to survive.

That aside, I love it when a film has the balls to kill a kid or two
for fun like:

[SPOILERS FOR ALLIGATOR AND ICHI THE KILLER]

Alligator - that short fat kid that the mean kids force to "walk the plank" before getting eaten in the swimming pool. I love how cruel that was - and the kids that pushed him in got away!

and..

Ichi the Killer The kid that's been fucking around on the edge of a high-rise tower block the entire film makes the mistake of kicking Ichi for slitting his father's throat. This leads to the only child-decapatation in the history of cinema(a guess).
Quote:

Originally posted by BlondieJoeManco
This leads to the only child-decapatation in the history of cinema(a guess).

See: Sleepy hollow...

That scene in Ichi is gold indeed.
Quote:

Originally posted by alice's girl (chucky's ex)

And a poor guess it was - completley forgot that.
It doesn't make me uncomfortable to see the little girl getting shot in Assault On Precinct 13, but the animal cruelty in Cannibal Ferox/Holocaust makes me feel sick.

There is the issue of psychopaths getting triggered off by watching kids getting killed in movies. But the problem is that if media only works with the lowest common denominator in mind, we can't move forward and we become dumbed down.
Quote:

Originally posted by JessFranco!
The Beatles song Helter Skelter helped trigger Charles Manson. Catcher in the Rye helped set off Lennon's assassin.

Psychopaths can be triggered by anything. That's what makes them psychopaths. Horrible crimes against children and adults were taking place long before pop-culture horror films were around to influence anyone.

Hell, a Full House marathon on Nick at Night might set ME off...

Yeah, exactly. But you try telling that to the British Board Of Censors! Fight For Your Life won't be getting a UK release thats for sure. Speaking of which, that's just reminded me of another great kiddie killing. Fight For Your Life features a great one - repeated blows to the kid's head [in slo-mo] with a rock! Yikes!
Quote:

Originally posted by M5
City of God had a little kid getting shot in the foot and then one getting capped by another kid offscreen.

City Of God, which is more of a horror movie than pretty much every other genre entry in the past few years, is far more disturbing in its depictions of kids killing each other than Battle Royale IMO, as it's fact-based and not pure violent fantasy.
I may be wrong as i have'nt seen it in a long time but does'nt a baby get shot by the main character in the serial killer mocumentary Man Bites Dog?
No. That baby thing was just on the poster. You know, you don't make a lot of money out of killing babies. Now old people...

He does kill a kid though: the one who tries to escape from the suburb house, in what has become the most famous scene of the movie..
Thats just reminded me of the scene in Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer, when Henry and Otis are video-ing their exploits. They kill a kid then, don't they?
In one of the omen movies the devil makes a nurse kill a ton of babies in a hospital.a stroller with a baby in it rolls down a hill and hit by a car,and a houswife fries her baby to death with a clothes iron.
Quote:

No. That baby thing was just on the poster. You know, you don't make a lot of money out of killing babies. Now old people...

He does kill a kid though: the one who tries to escape from the suburb house, in what has become the most famous scene of the movie..

You might be onto something with the old people, they should be doing stunt work on films. I know i'd rather check out by being in a fight scene with Uma Thurman than strapped to some hospital bed!
Quote:

Originally posted by EnemaBandit
You might be onto something with the old people, they should be doing stunt work on films. I know i'd rather check out by being in a fight scene with Uma Thurman than strapped to some hospital bed!

Huh?
The old people thing was a reference to the serial killer's philosophy in the movie.
Not enough kids are killed in horror movies just like not enough dogs are killed in disaster movies. I know it's nasty and no one wants to see young uns die but when a horror film shows a child getting murderised it puts the viewer in a scary place, a place where they'll think,
'Shit. if he's killing kids then no one's safe.'

And that's where a good horror film should take you.

Sorry if I sound morbid and sorry if I'm just reciting what a lot of you have said, I just read the first couple of posts then decided to reply.
It is a good point, there is alot more graphic content involving children in film these days where as before it did seem to be off limits. Good examples to the original poster.
Just as i posted this film came to mind, Battle Royale that Atarichild pointed out to me. There are two pictures from it here
http://moviesonline.ca/phpBB2/album_cat.php?cat_id=26

WARNING: it is graphic and involves children in horror depictions.
Quote:

I thought the kid just kinda showed up in a tree....hung

never noticed that he go his lid split off
im going to have to re-watch it as well, i did not see that part either.
I'm sure a kid got killed in Phantasm, and Phantasm 3 features a kid killing people...using a frisbee with razors blades stuck in it, no less.

A child dies in nearly every Troma movie ever made. Infact, two die in the opening minutes of Sergent Kabukiman, NYPD. A fucking genius film if I ever saw one...

Also, slightly off-topic perhaps, but I'm sure I heard that the raptors eat a baby in the book of Jurrassic Park. Although, what with it being a childrens movie, I can see why that didn't make it into the film...
Quote:

Originally posted by YeLLoWsAmUeL
I'm sure a kid got killed in Phantasm, and Phantasm 3 features a kid killing people...using a frisbee with razors blades stuck in it, no less.

A child dies in nearly every Troma movie ever made. Infact, two die in the opening minutes of Sergent Kabukiman, NYPD. A fucking genius film if I ever saw one...

Also, slightly off-topic perhaps, but I'm sure I heard that the raptors eat a baby in the book of Jurrassic Park. Although, what with it being a childrens movie, I can see why that didn't make it into the film...

It was mentioned that the Compys chewed up a baby in Jurrasuc Park but it wasn't a character or anything. Plus books have always been able to get away with more things then books.
Quote:

Originally posted by bunnymud wants tacos
I thought the kid just kinda showed up in a tree....hung

never noticed that he go his lid split off

It's the kid who's hiding in the basement while his parents get killed. The killing is off-screen, but you see the headless horseman leave the house and put another head in his bag (or something along those lines.)
Quote:

It's the kid who's hiding in the basement while his parents get killed. The killing is off-screen, but you see the headless horseman leave the house and put another head in his bag (or something along those lines.)

I think the hung kid was from Ichi the killer not Sleepy Hollow.
The little fat kid in "Lord Of The Flies".

Did anybody mention the kids in DOTD '78?? You know, the ones in the abandoned airport......
Quote:

Originally posted by JessFranco!
I'm not 100% sold on that "death of an innocent" concept, but it's sort of what I expected.

What's meant by "innocent" anyway? Do you mean "innocent of heart", or something metaphoric like that? If so, that's a sticky area. Or do you mean "innocent of action", refering to the fact that they haven't actually done anything to warrent harm?

And I wouldn't be too quick to label all kids innocent either. Kids are capable of some seriously questionable actions. They're human just like everyone else.

It's a rather vague concept at best.

I meant innocent as without willful intent to do harm. I'm thinking of it as how in the law a young child cannot be prosecuted until after evaluating they're aware of right and wrong.

If's that's going to be a sticking point, I understand.

Teens die in movies all the time, but children--preteen and younger--do not.

'Defenseless' isn't a good term for what I'm looking for, and neither is 'vulnerability'.

Perhaps it's the idea that a child is a symbol of hope for the future, and the death of that symbol has great impact upon your typical viewer.

I've no doubt that there are those viewers out there that will cheer for the death of a child in the movies. I'm also certain that the vast majority of those same people would never wish for the read death of a child.

Ultimately, I think the death of a child in a movie like this is a raising of the stakes for the viewer. Once this has been done for a few times, those stakes cannot be affected for the movie going audience with that tactic, and a new method will have to be discovered to raise the stakes and illustrate just how monsterous the villain can be.
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.E
The little fat kid in "Lord Of The Flies".

Did anybody mention the kids in DOTD '78?? You know, the ones in the abandoned airport......

Would you consider Lord of the Flies a horror movie. It definetly had some horror elements but I always thought it was more of a social-drama.
Quote:

Originally posted by Jack19
Would you consider Lord of the Flies a horror movie. It definetly had some horror elements but I always thought it was more of a social-drama.

I really wasn't trying to limit the genre of film to just horror. After all, the film I used to start this thread was Assault on Precinct 13, which is more modern western than horror.
It's not a movie, but Lullaby has a slew of scenes involving dead children, mostly babies.

And that frozen one at the end...
Doesn't a child's murder by the title creature start off Jeeper's Creepers II?

The kid is the lost leg to Ray Wise's Captain Ahab impression.....
anyone say In a Glass Cage?
Did anyone mention Elephant?
Spoilers
It's not really a horror movie but it has kids killing kids.
End Spoilers
Nah, the kid in Ichi The Killer doesn't end up hanging in the tree - he's the one who HANGS THE GUY THERE. He does get his head sliced off, but only in a fantasy sequence...does that count?

Most brutal kid killings I can think of:

The pippi longstocking chick getting her head blown apart in The Beyond.
And worst of the lot - the toddler getting mashed by the truck in The Uninvited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiser666 View Post

Ginger Snaps - Trina (and how old is Sam?)
Ginger Snaps 2 - Beth-Anne (and how old is Tyler?)

Trina was a teenager and Beth-Anne was alive at the end.  remember her grandmother came back and she kept Brigette as a pet?

AJacobs ladder
The Blob
Hobo with a shotgun
Maximum ovedrive
Pans labyrinth
Mimic
The Mist

I think it's fucked up I'm posting in a thread that's nearly 10 years old.

The fuck?

Well here's a pleasant little topic, yeah?

AWilly Wonka killed four kids and no one cared or even questioned it. He probably did their parents in too, off-screen. Sick bastard.