Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids getting killed in the movies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Well here's a pleasant little topic, yeah?

It can't all be sunshine and pigtails and ice cream cones, Judas.

Hey, speaking of that:

Nine-year-old thread, and nobody's mentioned Once Upon a Time In the West? For shame, for shame.

And then there's Halloween III, which really ought to have been on someone's radar around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Oreo View Post

I think it's fucked up I'm posting in a thread that's nearly 10 years old.

The fuck?

At least you weren't the one to bump the thread, and it wasn't your first (and so far, only) post.

there was the classic Jaws with the kid on the yellow raft

Tentacles where the boat race and one of the little kids does not get off it

Feast kid gets devoured in that one scene

Piranha DD small kid gets it in the end (that ginger bastard lol)

Untouchables

Fuckin' Al Capone blowing up a kid!

How old kid?

If kid is defined as a pre-teen, then I don't have anything, but if one wants to stretch that definition to include teens, then "the gloves have been off" for almost a hundred years, at least, ever since Wallace Reid played "Boy Killed in Battle" in 1916's "Intolerance." Of course, the trick was that Reid was in his 20's, but looked a decade younger, which trick is still used today, but I've seen over a dozen more films, where the kid is killed, either as shorthand for the horrors of war and/or to separate the heros from the villains, and here are some of them in reverse alphabetical order.

Zulu Dawn

A Zulu herdboy is shot and killed, then an young bugler in the invading British army is accidentally shot and killed by his own side, while helping set up range markers.

Waterloo

A French drummer boy is killed, then to balance that an young bugler, belonging to the Royal Scots Greys, is killed by a French lancer in the counter-charge, counter-counter-charge.

War and Peace (1967 Russian version)

One of the prisoners executed before the French evacuate Moscow is an young boy. What separates his death from the others in this list, is his death is shot in slo-mo, so, though he is tied to a stake, when he is shot, you see his body jerk, as he is shot, and when one of the bullets strike him in the neck, you see the blood spray from his wound.

The Green Berets

An young Vietnamese girl, who has been befriended by the Americans, in a later scene is raped and then murdered by the Viet Cong. One never sees the presumed rape and/or murder, but you sort of see her body, a a field near her village, when her body is discovered.

Cross of Iron

When an young Russian soldier is captured by the Germans then released back to his own side, the boy is shoi and killed by the Russians.

Charge of the Light Brigade (1936)

During the massacre of the English civilians, by the Indian rebels, one of those killed is an young Indian boy, who has become friends with the English.

A Bridge Too Far

A Dutch boy is shot and killed during the battle.

Braveheart

When certain Scottish lords, under a truce, meet with the English, they can have one person with them, a pageboy. Of course, it is a trap, so all the Scots are hanged, including their pages. One never sees them actually hung, but one does see the aftermath, as one sees at least two of the pageboys hanging from the ceiling beams in the building, where the meeting is suppose to take place.

Back to Bataan

An young Filipino boy is killed by the Japanese.

But, probably, the best/worst example is from "Doctor Zhivago"

Where the Communist partisan band, in which our hero is embedded, machineguns at least a dozen Whites who are trying to escape across a wheatfield. When the shooting is over, the parisans, including our hero, walk into the field, to see who they have shot, and they find out most of those they have shot are just young kids, military school cadets, fighting for the Whites. Of course, everybody is sickened by what they have done, with one notable exception, the political commisar with the partisans.

there's the one awesome shot of the little leaguer getting crushed by the steam roller in Maximum Overdrive

AEnemy at the Gates?

You didn't see the actual hanging but you saw the kid wimpering on his way. He was also a character that we got to know a little bit. That always makes it worse.

No mention of The Happening yet?  For sha- actually that's not so bad.  Although the kid getting shotgunned was about the only moment that piece of shit actually grabbed my attention.

Also, does the little girl at the start of The Lost World die?  That one really creeped me out.

"Oh she's fine, fine"

Sorry if it's been said; but PET SEMATARY.

This is incredibly well done, and fucking terrible all the same.

Mind your eyes.

AThat's why you gotta put 'em on a leash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Never seen this before, it might be the funniest goddamn thing ever.

On topic, the Australian killer animal movie Dark Age has one unforgettable scene where some poor lad gets completely devoured by a massive crocodile, complete with sickening crunch.

P.S.: Game of Thrones

AInteresting and little known example: Beyond hypothermia, by Patrick Leung (who was John woo's first AD on several films), a Hong Kong movie made in 1996 about a literally cold blooded female assassin who mights find love and redemption. During one hit, a little girl is a witness to the gunfight, and is then shot dead by the protagonist. The director didn't want the character to kill a child, for moral reasons and by fear of losing the audience, and it was actually the producer who pushed for the murder, in the name of coherence.This producer was Johnnie To (Triad Election, among many others), who actually directed this murder sequence (you don't see the kid being shot, but still) and some other scenes ; I really like this film, but it really seems to hesitate between cold, vicious cruelty (supposedly To's influence) and good old melodrama (what the director was aiming at).

Does anyone else find it a little unsettling that this thread, amongst all the threads, seems to attract so many first time posters and lurkers to chime in?

APitch Black
Drag Me To Hell
Assault On Prescinct 13
Jaws
Sleepy Hollow
The Mist
AROULETTE has an absolutely charming sequence involving Baby Murder. Figured I'd throw that plug out there. Smile

There's the George C. Scott Haunted House movie THE CHANGLING where a small disabled child is drowned by his own father.

Caught The Sacrament yesterday. Yeah, it would definitely make this list. :eek!:

what movie is it that a kid is sitting in a car and blows his head off. chiveyrich@gmail.com

A[quote name="Schwartz" url="/community/t/65498/kids-getting-killed-in-the-movies/60#post_3695080"]Does anyone else find it a little unsettling that this thread, amongst all the threads, seems to attract so many first time posters and lurkers to chime in? 
[/quote]
A[quote name="Chivey Rich" url="/community/t/65498/kids-getting-killed-in-the-movies/90#post_4185911"]what movie is it that a kid is sitting in a car and blows his head off. chiveyrich@gmail.com
[/quote]

"Cars 3."
AI challenge someone to find (not create) a creepier thread than this. From the purpose of it, to the thing Schwartz pointed out. Weirdos..
AActually...that was an ill thought out challenge to issue. Please, nobody take me up on that..
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chivey Rich View Post

what movie is it that a kid is sitting in a car and blows his head off. chiveyrich@gmail.com

Grindhouse - "Planet Terror"

A[quote name="Magiclapinou" url="/community/t/65498/kids-getting-killed-in-the-movies/60#post_3695065"]Interesting and little known example: Beyond hypothermia, by Patrick Leung (who was John woo's first AD on several films), a Hong Kong movie made in 1996 about a literally cold blooded female assassin who mights find love and redemption. During one hit, a little girl is a witness to the gunfight, and is then shot dead by the protagonist. The director didn't want the character to kill a child, for moral reasons and by fear of losing the audience, and it was actually the producer who pushed for the murder, in the name of coherence.This producer was Johnnie To (Triad Election, among many others), who actually directed this murder sequence (you don't see the kid being shot, but still) and some other scenes ; I really like this film, but it really seems to hesitate between cold, vicious cruelty (supposedly To's influence) and good old melodrama (what the director was aiming at).[/quote]

I do agree with the weirdness of this thread and it's attraction, old as it is, but I felt the need to comment on this post from a few years ago. Holy shit, haven't seen or thought of this movie in 20 years. A great, late era Hong Kong action film. I remember the opening shot is the main character, the female assassin, hiding out in walk in fridge to complete a job during the opening credits. Starts shooting (in slo mo, of course) and you see close ups of the hot shell casings falling from the gum and melting halfway into the ice blocks stacked on the floor. Holy shit, what a fucking cool opening.
ALau Ching-Wan should have been a much bigger star.
ATetsuo 2: has, I think, the most fucked up one.

Antagonist holds protagonists toddler up by the arms.

Protagonist goes all "arm mutates into fuck off huge gun".

Next shot is the antagonist holding up whats left of the kid. His arms.
ADouble
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post

Lau Ching-Wan should have been a much bigger star.

He still headlines big movies (he even played Jackie chan's father in a biopic focused on the star's parents!), but most of them target the Chinese market, we don't really hear about them. From a western point of view it can be surprising to know that Jackie Chan was the best paid actor in 2016 and yet...