Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EXORCIST: THE BEGINNING Discussion
So question for those that saw it: do you think there's any way that the Paul Schrader version could be good or is the material here just too atrocious to work for anyone?
Isn't the Schrader version like a completely different film, with different actors, a different script and the like?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Sweeney

I'm sure there is one. But I'll walk out on it.

That'd be great if you could just walk out of Hell. And all of the other souls who've been tormented for millenia look at each other and kick themselves silly for not trying.

BTW, I don't see any version of this being good. The story doesn't really make any sense.
From IMDB:
Quote:

Morgan Creek Productions fired Paul Schrader after he had submitted a completed movie, saying that he had given them "footage without any of the bloody violence the backers had wanted". He had already made it clear in interviews that he was making more of a psychological drama than an all-out gore-fest. He was fired and Renny Harlin was hired to re-shoot the movie. Almost 90% of the movie was re-shot and at least two characters have been dropped from Paul Schrader's version of the movie.

90%? Wow.
My two favorite horror franchises torpedoed in a mere two weeks! Thanks, motherfucking Hollywood!
The "bloody violence" is stupid. A baby born with maggots eating it alive. A guy with clear puss bumps on his skin with maggots crawling inside them. A guy that's been eaten apart by crows.

I mean, I'd expect to see some bullshit like that in a Tempe DVD flick, but here it's just cheesy.
Yeah Renny completely redid the movie. Shrader's version is different. Different script, different actors(except for Skarsgaard)
You can really only tell it's a Renny Harlin film in the waaaay over-FX-laden final 30 minutes or so.
Gabriel Mann played Father Francis in Schrader's version, but due to scheduling conflicts, he was unable to reprise the role when WB hired Harlin, so they replaced him with James D'Arcy.

Also, Izabella Scorupco's character was added in the Harlin version to replace the original female lead played by Clara Bellar in Schrader's cut of the film.

Finally, Billy Crawford did not return for reshoots.

I wonder if the studio would've balked if the first director (John Frankenheimer) had lived long enough to helm the film.
A fucking abomination of a film.
Can't say I'm surprised. Guess I'll check out Collateral again tomorrow.
Quote:

Originally Posted by devincf

A fucking abomination of a film.

Ugh. Well, I can still look forward to Schrader's version. Hopefully.
This is depressing news, yet again. We need a darkhorse horror movie to come along soon and stir things up a little.
Meh, I enjoyed it. Quite a bit actually, as did the crowd I saw it with. Of course, I saw The Heretic six hours ago, so that might've influenced my opinion.
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Shape

Meh, I enjoyed it. Quite a bit actually, as did the crowd I saw it with. Of course, I saw The Heretic six hours ago, so that might've influenced my opinion.

ok, so lets just get this straight from the get go...

youre saying it was crap, but you enjoyed it nonetheless?

or are you saying youre enjoyment was due to the fact that it had redeeming qualities akin to a well-made flick?
http://www.chud.com/reviews/exorcist4.php3
Great review. Too late on that last paragraph, though. People have such low standards these days that I'm sure we'll get a good number of the "Ah, it wasn't that bad, guys..." types.
Excellent review. Especially the subtle Jamiepoole slam there at the end. Great.
Harsh, Faraci, but excellent.

I might invite the wrath of the devil here, but I must confess, I'm not a big fan of the original.
"Uganda MacGuffin"

"Herr Plotzdevice"

Awesome.

Those'd be the actual names if they had called in David Twohy to do the script rewrite for Harlin's version.
“fuck allegory and subtext”. "Merrin gets his groove back." Gold.

I feel bad for Stellan, and wonder if he was contractually obligated to do the film again with Harlin.

I liked that Pullings fella from M&C, but neither he nor vaguely archeological underground churches are enough to get me within pissing distance of the theatre holding this crap.
See, your review makes it sound like it's funny enough to watch. I'm picturing a Schumacher-like 'gearing up' scene where Father Merrin shows all his holy gadgets to the camera.

* Merrin whips out holy cross, exagerrated sound effect, closeup on cross*

And then you end it with a closeup on Merrin's ass.

Oh and the reason for Merrin losing his faith sounds the same as the Schrader version.

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/38/features-foundas.php
I have to make a correction.

This movie is produced by Morgan Creek, not WB.

Morgan Creek paid all the production costs on the pic, and WB is distribbing the pic for a fee.
Also, from the ex-cop comparisons in the review, i'm picturing this fantasy version of the "Merrin Loses his faith" scene.

Cardinal- "MERRIN!!!!!! IN MY OFFICE!!!!!!"

Merrin- "How's it hangin, Cardinal?"

Cardinal- "Plant your ass, Merrin! Now Lets talk about that exorcism you pulled in Reno. Remember that one? Goddammit, you caused 20 thousand in property damage! The state of Nevada is crawling up my ass as we speak!"

Merrin- "Bitch, Bitch, Bitch. Guess you forgot the part where I saved that Peruvian boy. I saved him from the devil!"

Cardinal- "Doesn't matter, Merrin. Now .....I don't know how to say this, but--the order has come down from Rome. You're out. Hand in your holy water and your holy cross."

Merrin- "You're shittin me. You're hanging my ass out to dry? Me? Because of those bureaucrats in Rome? You know how many exorcisms I've pulled! Remember that 8 month job in Calcutta?? Goddammit, you know me, Cardinal! I GET THE JOB DONE."

Cardinal- "It's out of my hands, Merrin! You're a damn good exorcist, but GODDAMMIT.......you were just too reckless."

Merrin- "FINE!"

*Merrin angrily slams down his Holy Cross and holy water*

Cardinal- "AND your back-up cross!"

*Merrin reluctantly removes back-up cross from his ankle holster*

Cardinal- "For what it's worth, I'm sorry."

Merrin- "Yeah....Me too."

*We follow the camera as it travels downward, ALL THE WAY TO HELL*

The Devil- "MERRIN. Your Soul......IS MINE!"
No, I liked it as a film. I think the cinematography is beautiful (especially the scene in 1944 Holland) and Skarsgard makes a convincing Merrin. It was interesting at my screening -- after the local radio reps got up and bashed the other two sequels (those SOBs called Legion worse than The Heretic... I almost had an anuerism), the audience kept chatting to themselves, and I heard things like "I ain't 'gon be scared!" and the like. Then the scene with the hyenas happened and put everyone on edge. Next came Holland and so on and so forth. By the end, people were covering their eyes (and probably not the way Devin was ).

I do agree with Devin on one particular point, though. When the demon is running through the hallway after Merrin, it is a terrible effect. What's worse though is the final shot of the film, with a very obviously blue-screened shot of Skarsgard heading towards the Vatican.
Thanks for the spolers. When I hear a movie is as crappy as this, I like to know every crappy little thing about it so I can laugh and say "Thank God I didn't see this thing!"

By the way, the word is spelled "cupboard", not "cubbard".
"The power of Christ compels you to stay home." I laughed for 5 minutes when I read that.

Funny stuff. And this movie sounds like dreck. Nothing in the previews makes me want to see this movie, and your review clinches that decision.
This movie sucked shit. That is all.

Actually, that's not all. Here's what the movie does: for the first hour, nothing happens. Then, for the second intolerable hour, something unpleasant and stupid happens every five minutes. Finally, in its mercy, the movie ends, so you can go get a snack and try to get on with your life.

Dead on review, Devin. Fuck this movie.
And there I was last night thinking I should've tried to go to the screening instead of staying home and repeatedly shutting the refrigerator door on my testicles under strobe lights. All the news about the reshoots didn't sound good, but I didn't expect a nearly unanimous reaming. Is it not even so stupid it's funny? Maybe I will see Collateral this weekend instead.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Egg

Is it not even so stupid it's funny? Maybe I will see Collateral this weekend instead.

No. I got one good "this is horrible" laugh out of the whole thing.

And call me if you go see Collateral. I still haven't seen it.
I have one stupid question.......

For you guys, which one is better?

A. CGI scenes of EXORCIST: THE BEGINNING B. CGI scenes of A SOUND OF THUNDER's trailer
Fantasic review, Devin.

You have successfully convinced me not to set foot near this film.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceL

"Uganda MacGuffin"

"Herr Plotzdevice"

Awesome.

Agreed, though I thought "Father Expendable Exposition" was the best one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chans

Morgan Creek paid all the production costs on the pic, and WB is distribbing the pic for a fee.

Distribbing?

Please do not start using the asinine vocabulary of Variety.
Quote:

Originally Posted by moovyphreak

Fantasic review, Devin.

You have successfully convinced not to set foot near this film.

Agreed, though I thought "Father Expendable Exposition" was the best one.

Distribbing?

Please do not start using the asinine vocabulary of Variety.

Sorry...........
Or at least include thirty links in your posts if you're going to talk like that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreizler

Ugh. Well, I can still look forward to Schrader's version. Hopefully.

i dont remember the site it was on but they ran an article about the two different prequels. at the end of the article they mention how schrader sent a copy to william peter blatty and the man said he love it so much he watched it twice. it was either blatty or friedkin. either way that lets me know its (schraders version) gonna be good.