Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHAUN OF THE DEAD discussion
Just finished watching the DVD.

This movie is the tits.
Loved the movie also.

One of my favorite scenes is the night the zombies were first around. Shaun and Ed were crossing a street and saw that zombie and started to sing the song, using the zombie as the chorus. GOLD!!!
I can't believe how much I want to see this movie again. This, and Sky Captain will be on my hit list for the next 2 weeks.

And I'm going to wait out the Region 1 DVD, due to Devin's interview with the director saying that there will be lots of new things on the R1 DVD than on the R2. But I just really liked this movie a helluva lot.
A huge thank you to HAM, for it was because of him I was able to see it early. Sorry I had to run out quickly last Thursday, but now that I know for certain where you work, expect visits more frequently, and this "Thank you, Jason." in person to boot.

See this movie. Do what it takes to get your ass in a seat. I'm still seeing it theatrically, to show support and to show the bigwigs that this is the kind of movie I want to see.
Went to RE:A and the trailer played, then I asked them if it's possible to get the Shaun poster off them when it's run is over, they said no .

the cardboard display they have is cool, nothing catches the eye like big letters reading:

KILL SOME ZOMBIES
Awesome, awesome movie.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ash88

I mean, this is NOT the best comedy ever made and NOT the best Zombie film ever made! Now that's what people are hyping it up to be. You see, even though it comes close it has so many british refrences i just can't see the americans are digging it. ASH

Ok, I have asked this question before and i'll ask it again :

What are these "British" references everyone keeps giong on about?

I'm British by the way, and I cannot see anything in Shaun Of The Dead that the American audience wouldn't understand.
While I don't see a lot, Matt Lucas is one, but it's not an important one.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles B

Exactly. Yeah, ok he may be an up and coming Brit actor but how could not knowing that reduce your enjoyment of a movie?
There's a sneak preview of this in select US cities tonight. Check your local listings for showtimes.
Quote:

No, you're wrong. The joke works at its simplest level in America, whereas knowing who is who in that group of people works in the UK. That joke is perfectly fine here in America as is, got a major laugh at my screening.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixnayray

Ok, I have asked this question before and i'll ask it again :

What are these "British" references everyone keeps giong on about?

I'm British by the way, and I cannot see anything in Shaun Of The Dead that the American audience wouldn't understand.

There's Dav's "I don't see the point of owning a car in london" that's one I can think of. There's the Trisha, thhey take jabs at how everyone in London is in their own little world. They're definately there.

You wanna see the british references imagine the film set in L. A. or something.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_Chocula

There's Dav's "I don't see the point of owning a car in london" that's one I can think of. There's the Trisha, thhey take jabs at how everyone in London is in their own little world. They're definately there.

You wanna see the british references imagine the film set in L. A. or something.

Again, you're wrong. The first one is the only one that doesn't play in America. Doesn't matter that it's Trisha for that particular joke to work. It's obvious to anyone that it's a talk show, and believe it or not, we have those sorts of things too in America. And the idea that people are in their own worlds and insulated from society is completely applicable to any society. The world we live in nowadays makes it possible for us to go on with our lives without having to pay attention to what is happening around us. The humor is a lot more universal than what people are making it out to be.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMCG

No, you're wrong. The joke works at its simplest level in America, whereas knowing who is who in that group of people works in the UK. That joke is perfectly fine here in America as is, got a major laugh at my screening.

I don't mean the joke that he's Ed's "twin," I mean the joke that he is clearly Matt Lucas.
Quote:

I don't mean the joke that he's Ed's "twin," I mean the joke that he is clearly Matt Lucas.

Is it a joke that it's "clearly" Matt Lucas? Because if it is, it looks like you are already getting desperate for British references...

I mean, I don't scratch my head in confusion when a character in an American movie mentions Twinkies. So i'm sure that when Ed mentions "toasties" in the pub, it doesn't ruin the movie for Americans.

All I am saying is that the British references in Shaun are pretty vague and that was probably deliberate.
Shaun walks to his local shop to buy his coke in the mornings. WALKS.

Seriously though, English people (expecially londoners) have the extra level of recognising their everyday lives and surroundings in the film and then having zombies and 'film reality' turn up in them. to americans they are watching somewhere unfamiliar, so that gag of the humdrum and the wierd is slightly lost, or at least muted.
I'm sure everyone can get the actual gags and can see what's trying to be achieved, but to us locals i imagine it has that extra fizz of seeing zombies on roads you actually walk down.

Great film!
Yeah, but we also love Dawn of the Dead, even if we're not Pittsburghians.
Its a fairly Brittish film but i dont see that as a bad thing, more of a plus. I dont know about anyone else but i am more than tired of the "lock Stock and two smoking barrels" view of the UK that our film industry had shown until now. It seems to live in the UK you were ether cockney/posh or a Beatle and its nice to see a film that shows a bit more of the our lifestyle thats recognisable.
I've been without tv for a few weeks now. Have they been showing trailers on tv for this? Just wondering. Be nice to see it do well this weekend.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Matchstick

I've been without tv for a few weeks now. Have they been showing trailers on tv for this? Just wondering. Be nice to see it do well this weekend.

I have seen a few ads during the little time I do watch TV. Hopefully, other people have too.
I got to yack with "Shaun"'s star and director on the phone for something like a half-hour a few weeks ago; I just threw pretty much the entire transcript of that chat online here if anyone's interested:

http://homepage.mac.com/merussell/ib...537/index.html

We talk about "Spaced," Romero, a "Shaun" deleted scene, how Tarantino ditched Werner Herzog to hang out with them, the plague of fast-moving zombies, the "Shaun of the Dead" comics they're writing for 2000AD, Simon Bisley as pro wrestler, British comedy, hanging out with Ken Foree, that awesome tracking shot where Shaun walks to the corner market, and much more.
Russell, really enjoyed reading that interview. Good work, man.

Also, more proof that Jeffrey Wells just don't get it:

http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/elsewhere/index.html
Just got back from checking this baby out...

Fucking brilliant!

Nothing new to add really (as so much has been said already) but what impressed me the most was the great marriage of comedic and dramatic elements. Shaun and Ed were so well developed that I couldn't help but have a lump in my throat towards the end of the film when they're in that cellar... and what a great way to end the film as well.

In my top 5 for the year now.

Just great.
Is the military dudes that show up at the end the TA? Cause from watching spaced and The Office they both paint the Territorial Army as some kind of last ditch effort for a slightly unhiged person to gain some type of military role, I guess that's why the military dudes at the end are whompping the crap out of zombies. They're all disgruntled TAtroops waiting for a reason to rampage.

EXTREMELY well received where I saw it, they applauded at the end took 6 pals and got 4 other people in [got a "Aim for the Head, Shaun of he Dead" hat for my troubles], afterwards I heard everyone saying how it was the best film they've seen in some time.

Had the audience at "Can I gt any of you cunts a drink?"
Audience reaction was extremely loud and enthusiastic (great group actually... a rarity) and applauded the shit out of this at the end too.

Not sure about the Territorial Army but they sure did go to town on the zombies there.
Shaun of the Worlds
Shaun's Baby
The Turnpike Lane Chainsaw Massacre
The Shauning
Wood Green

I gots to get me some funding.
I was surfing through the channels when I came across Ebert and Roeper reviewing this and, these guys are just miserable cuntrags, especially Roeper. First, he misidentifies Diana as Shaun's ex and then he said he didn't really care for the last 30-40 minutes because it's just standard "fight the zombies" climax. You know, maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I think if you're going to review a movie, you might actually want to watch it. I can tolerate an opinion different from my own, but it's absolutely maddening to see these two idiots get called "film critics" when it seems like they don't even watch the movies they're supposed to be reviewing. I'm glad their show comes on at an unseemly hour where no one has to really suffer through it and their inane opinions.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Goldberg

I was surfing through the channels when I came across Ebert and Roeper reviewing this and, these guys are just miserable cuntrags, especially Roeper. First, he misidentifies Diana as Shaun's ex and then he said he didn't really care for the last 30-40 minutes because it's just standard "fight the zombies" climax. You know, maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I think if you're going to review a movie, you might actually want to watch it. I can tolerate an opinion different from my own, but it's absolutely maddening to see these two idiots get called "film critics" when it seems like they don't even watch the movies they're supposed to be reviewing. I'm glad their show comes on at an unseemly hour where no one has to really suffer through it and their inane opinions.

Well yesterday right when I woke up i read eberts review which was three stars so I think he gve it a thumbs up, Roeper from what you describe would be a thumbs down, and I think Roper needs to go now he now jus seems to disagree just for the sake of it and as you said he [among others] don't even seem to watch the film, and it's been available since April, that's the dumbest thing, and "fight the zombie climax" never ever involved Queen.

roepers really starting to piss me off with his Sky Captain and shaun reviews, Sky Captain because he never really gave a clear concise reason for thumbs down and for Shaun because......it has a zombie climax? Oh no, god forbid a zombie movie ends with them fighting off zombies. Jesus.

Everybody see it again!
Saw it a second time, but the audience just wasn't nearly as excited and nurturing as the one I saw it with last week. Ever see a movie you really like with a barely responsive theaterful of people? They picked up in the middle, but were pretty quiet during the end. Made me kind of sad. I still love the shit out of it though, and was happy I caught the "Lifeforce" reference this time.
Saw it theatrically on Saturday night and the audience loved it, applauding and yelling various positive comments during the credits. It wasn't quite sold out, but damn close. That could be because Showplace 16 was the only theater in northwest Indiana that was carrying it, but it was still nice to see alot of people coming out to see this "bit of fried gold."

I must be getting pretty bad in my old age, because it took me three times watching this to notice the Deer Hunter homage.

Love this movie.
Saw it yesterday at Loew's Theatre in Boston and damn...I have a new favorite movie this year. i went in expecting to be great and I walked away cracking up all the way back to South Station.

10/10

"She's so drunk!"