Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mr. 3000 - thoughts??
Was reading a interview today with Bernie Mac and I think he'll actually pull off his first starring role. I think the fact that he's mocking self-absorbed pro's will be really funny.

http://www.chud.com/news/sept04/sept7mac.php3
Yeah, the trailer for this film feels very long, but it's entertaining the whole way through.

I might catch this one in theaters if it receives good buzz.
Looks like just another "fun baseball movie." I enjoy Bernie Mac though, and I'll enjoy this movie. If it's as dumb fun as the trailer makes it look, it'll definitely be one of those movies you start watching at a random point on HBO late at night, then an hour or so later realize you've watched the rest of the way through.
I have a problem with the whole "he lost 3 hits" deal - i mean, in the 20s, sure that stuff happens, but in the day of the Elias Sports Bureau...

Still, I also enjoyed the interview and think it might be worth watching. Better than Mr. Baseball but not as good as the "Holy Trinity" of recent baseball classics (Field, Bull and Major)
This is one of those scripts that has bounced around Hollywood for YEARS AND YEARS coming close time and again with folks like Costner (yes, a man always looking for a baseball film) and others before landing on Bernie Mac. I read it and thought it was pretty mediocre, but it's a fucking BASEBALL MOVIE, so I'm there opening day.

And it's not some "fake" baseball movie with fake teams and shit, he plays for the Brewers!!! (Oh, wait...)
I'm looking forward to it, but please kill the TV spots with the 4-year old trailer-friendly music that's not popular anymore.
I thought it looks all right, but not worth my dollars. I'll rent it though.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack Ruby

This is one of those scripts that has bounced around Hollywood for YEARS AND YEARS coming close time and again with folks like Costner (yes, a man always looking for a baseball film) and others before landing on Bernie Mac. I read it and thought it was pretty mediocre, but it's a fucking BASEBALL MOVIE, so I'm there opening day.

And it's not some "fake" baseball movie with fake teams and shit, he plays for the Brewers!!! (Oh, wait...)

Try imagining Costner with his cute little smirk saying, "I had your toenails popping off like Redenbacher!"
I have a feeling this one will be on par with Mr. Baseball.
Yeah, for awhile, this movie was gonna star John Travolta. I imagine it would have been far more insufferable and self-important, so I'm glad Bernie Mac stepped up.

What I'm confused about is that the character retires after his 3000th hit, rightfully sure he'll get into the Hall of Fame, and yet the story cuts forward TEN years later when he's about to be inducted before realizing he's three hits short? Isn't eligibility for the Hall of Fame begin at five years? Or are we to believe that in the universe of MR. 3000 that a guy with 3000 hits isn't going to automatically be a first ballot Hall of Famer?

Anyway, this is from Charles Stone III, who's signed on to adapt TEKKEN, so I'm interested.
I hate baseball, I would rather watch paint dry…in slow motion. That being said I am going to see this movie most likely during opening weekend, why one might ask. (I know you didn’t but I like to type so I’m going to tell you anyway.) Because for one baseball movies are nothing like baseball they are actually entertaining. However the primary reason that I am going to see this movie is because of one line in the preview “Tom you wouldn’t even be where you are at if it wasn’t for Roseanne”. I mean how can you go wrong with Tom Arnold?? It looks pretty standard as far as the rest of the movie is concerned.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigassposer

I hate baseball, I would rather watch paint dry…in slow motion. That being said I am going to see this movie most likely during opening weekend, why one might ask. (I know you didn’t but I like to type so I’m going to tell you anyway.) Because for one baseball movies are nothing like baseball they are actually entertaining. However the primary reason that I am going to see this movie is because of one line in the preview “Tom you wouldn’t even be where you are at if it wasn’t for Roseanne”. I mean how can you go wrong with Tom Arnold?? It looks pretty standard as far as the rest of the movie is concerned.

I hate everything you just said.
I still LOVE you though. Don't let this be a wedge between us.
Yeah, weirdly this was once going to be a Callie Khouri directing vehicle as well as she did a re-write in '99. This was originally written by Keith Mitchell in '94 and then went through some big guns like Ron Shelton and Peter Tolan the following year to re-write before going through another round of non-name writin' folks in the late '90s. Of course, it finally landed on Howard M. Gould's desk who re-wrote for Bernie Mac, so who the fuck knows how the credits will suss out. I mean, this thing's been at Dimension, Touchstone, Lakeshore and Spyglass - can you IMAGINE how much money must've been paid out the minute this thing went into production?

But I'll still be there opening day.
I got to sit in Miller Park and be an extra for a night while eating free hot dogs and drinking free coke. I'll go to see it based on the already-established proviso of: "Baseball movies deserve to be seen."
I love baseball movies and I love Bernie Mac. It isn't up for debate.
Quote:

I still LOVE you though. Don't let this be a wedge between us.

Don't worry, baby. You gon' always be my slut...

until I kill yo' ass...
Speaking of baseball movies, I was talking to a guy who produced a baseball pic about ten years ago who said that when the studio was deciding which park to shoot it in, they flew to EVERY MAJOR LEAGUE STADIUM over the course of a few weeks, a couple of times seeing two games in one day (I'd imagine not COMPLETE games, however) - always sitting in the owners box. The guy said it was one of the highlights of his career.
Plus Mike Logan.
Well, just saw it tonight. Not bowled over. Inoffensive rental. Can't imagine what this would have been like with anyone other than Bernie Mac. You can tell he ad-libs and improvs the funniest bits, because the script is so sloppy and sketchily written, particularly in the third act.

Angela Bassett is in this, and damn, that Nubian princess is FIIIINE. She has a megahot make out scene halfway through the movie that made me check my pulse. Her boobs are a costar of the film (as is, unfortunately, the boom mic), and it's remarkable how much she makes of her poorly written role. She deserves far better than this.

I don't see non-baseball fans getting into this. It has all the staples of baseball movies, all the cliches and stereotypes. The one thing missing was the singalong... wait, fix that, there is sort of a singalong. While there are bits sprinkled here and there for the baseball purists who loved films like THE NATURAL (which is paid homage to in an obvious music cue), the tone is often, diasppointingly, closer to MAJOR LEAGUE, specifically MAJOR LEAGUE 2.

It's not worth seeing in the theaters. I'd give it a C+
Thanks Fab. Agree about Bassett shes great. She should have been Storm.
Yes Fab as to be expected but how funny was the part with Tom Arnold?!?!?!?!
Quote:

Yes Fab as to be expected but how funny was the part with Tom Arnold?!?!?!?!

You just answered your own question.
How many actual baseball player cameos?

Anyone else remember Hardball? A Fox comedy show on about 10 years ago, with Bruce Greenwood as an aging starter, Mike Starr as his veteran catcher, and Dann Florek as his manager. Nifty little comedy which was cancelled, of course, in like 3 shows.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Subotai

How many actual baseball player cameos?

Anyone else remember Hardball? A Fox comedy show on about 10 years ago, with Bruce Greenwood as an aging starter, Mike Starr as his veteran catcher, and Dann Florek as his manager. Nifty little comedy which was cancelled, of course, in like 3 shows.

I couldn't really recognize any major baseball player cameos. If you like ESPN, though, you're in for a treat, because the whole thing's like some damn ESPN commercial.
cool.

I read that Bassett's also on Alias next season for a few episodes, playing one of Sidney's superiors. Basset as Storm would have kicked all kinds of ass.

I think this movie looks fun. Excited for Bernie Mac to have an actual starring role, and this seems like a good one for him.
I think Bernie will do great in this role. The reviews look pretty good and I'm looking forward to seeing it this weekend.

Just in case you don't believe me:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1000629818